Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on July 3, 2007
First of all, as pretty as the die-cut dust jacket is, it's prone to tearing. And if you have young children this is likely to be an issue, which sort of spoils the whole collector's/heirloom edition thing. Second, although I would ordinarily like the cream colored pages and colored illustrations, I don't like how they did it for this edition. Starting in the early '90s Dutton published full-color editions of all four of Milne's books (Winnie-the-Pooh, The House At Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young, and Now We Are Six) on white paper, and the illustrations blended perfectly with the pages. Unfortunately, for this 80th anniversary edition the publisher seems to have simply reused the color pictures from the 1991 edition, complete with the white backgrounds for each illustration. The effect of this against the cream colored pages of this new book looks a bit sloppy to me, as if someone had cut out the pictures from the 1991 edition and pasted them onto the pages of this new one. The older color editions of Milne's books are still available through Amazon (search for "Winnie-the-Pooh full-color gift edition"), and in my opinion they're nicer than this new edition.
22 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2015
Zoe's Review - I read this book under the urging of my mother, she was claiming that she loved these books as a child. Now that I have read it, I can understand her love of Winnie the Pooh. Winnie the Pooh is a really cute bear that I can not help thinking is adorable and sweet, but when reading about him I do not enjoy it that much. This book is about the adventures of Winnie the Pooh and his other friends. While I was reading it, I found it frustratingly simple. I did not enjoy the simplicity of Winnie the Pooh. I think that I would have enjoyed this book more if I was younger. If you did not like this book then a good book to read is the Tao of Pooh by: Benjamin Hoff. If you liked this book then you would like Marry Poppins.

Maci's Review - Winnie-the Pooh by A. A. Milne was good. I read it because my Mom said that she loved Winnie-the-Pooh and that I should read it. But I should of read it before I read the Tao of Pooh. Winnie-the-Pooh is about Pooh bear and his adventures, they are sweet and silly and make you smile. But I was overthinking them so I did not enjoy them as much as I should have. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a simple sweet story that will make them smile.
on August 18, 2014
I was not overly fond of the voices used to portray the different characters, though they could have been much worse. Most irksome though was the slight changes in text. It is one thing in a dramatized version to leave off the "he said" portions of a line, but it is quite another when you leave off whole sentences and still call it "unabridged." Or when you change things like "he" to "she" when a pronoun is used to refer to an inanimate object. I followed along in the book for one chapter (Eeyore Loses His Tail), and though the changes were small and relatively infrequent, I was still disappointed.
on February 3, 2010
Broadbent does a good job reading the book, but he misreads one of my favorite bits: Pooh says "you never can tell with bees", but Broadbent consistently reads "you can never tell with bees". A small thing, but I find it distracting.
on September 21, 2011
We bought this for a road trip, thinking it would be relaxing for a family of Pooh lovers. It started out rather nice. The voice for Pooh is a bit more "gruff" than we have imagined him to be in our minds, but still nice to listen to. We found Rabbit came across quite harsh, but did not ruin the story. And then we heard Piglet... Oh! What an annoying voice! It is a screechy, high-pitched sort that hurt the ears. One of the kids tucked their head like they were hiding, and the oldest said "That voice is annoying!" We turned it off, needless to say. The braver of the kids still listens to this CD and gets quite a bit of use out it; most of us just find it hard to enjoy.
on August 11, 2007
I bought this puzzle book for my 2 year old son. Some of the puzzles are a bit challenging because they don't have a lot of picture and color, but he can usually do them with a little help. Now that he has done some of them a few times, he can do those on his own. The pieces are a little thinner than I would like. We keep the plastic sleeves on to make sure the pieces don't fall out. They do seem to be in there pretty tight though. I'm on the fence about a repeat purchase.
on July 25, 2013
I'm only 10, and I thought the chapters were a bit too long! I took a lot of breaks! I want to finish the book, but it's really been hard, because I really like it so far.
on January 14, 2015
I found myself remembering s lot of these stories from the tv show. All of the double talk got a little old after awhile, but it was still enjoyable.
on December 2, 2014
Very strange to read out loud to my 6 year old. Once you get past the weird way the author is talking to his son the stories are kinda cute.
on September 21, 2014
The copy we received was used in perfect condition, looked like it had never been opened. However we just were not that fond of the story.