Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Beauty V-Day Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

VINE VOICEon June 12, 2002
If you are looking for big budget Winnie the Pooh entertainment, you have two choices. First there are the original classics, available seperately on VHS, or together in both VHS and DVD under the title: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Second choice is their more recent theatrical feature, The Tigger Movie. Both are WONDERFUL films! Anything else you get however, at the time of this review that is, is going to be much lower quality, made for TV stuff.
What we have here is not truthfully a NEW feature. There's been a lot of false advertising by the direct to video market about NEW Disney features. This, as was the case with Hercules:Zero to Hero, and some others, is really just a compilation of TV series episodes, linked together with some badly done new footage.
So how can I give this video 5 stars you ask? Well, the second story is reason enough! But I'm getting ahead of myself. This video links 3 stories. The first is an average episode of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh TV series, originally entitled "Groundpiglet's Day," in which the Hundred Acre Wood family gets rather confused, thinking that Winter is over when in fact, it's just about to start. This, like most episodes of the TV series, is a charming little story, though nothing spectacular. The second story is what makes this film so wonderful. This is not actually an episode of the TV series, but a Holiday Special originally called, A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving. It's a wonderful story with great songs and higher quality animation than you'll see in the rest of the video. As I said before, this story is enough to earn the video 5 stars. After that one, we see the Pooh characters preparing for Christmas. This part is a little hard to watch, because the voices sound nothing like those in the other segments, but there is little continuity throughout this video anyway, considering it has so many different sources. Here we find Rabbit telling the story of how he came to raise a baby bird named Kessie. The original name for the episode this leads into is "Find Her, Keep Her," a very popular and touching episode of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. So popular in fact, that Kessie had a sequel episode, and ended up a regular character in the more recent series, The Book of Pooh.
The final comment: If you like the TV show, or if you liked the Thanksgiving special, get this video, it's great if you know what to expect!
22 comments43 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2002
I usually love Winnie the Pooh. This video is not like the originals that my family and I enjoy to watch. It is long and it is good in the beginning, but then at the end, it gets boring and the characters are more flat and boring. When I watch this, I never am able to finish the same day. I always get bored, and then I turn it off, and I have not had a good time watching Pooh. The animation is not as good as it can be, and the movie is not as fun.
If you want to watch enjoyable Pooh stories, you may want to search for the videos labled "Storybook Classics", Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree, the Blustery Day, Tigger too, and a Day for Eeyore(Pooh is voiced by Hal Smith here in this story).
The Blustery Day is the best one, then the Honey Tree, and the Day for Eeyore is not full of action, but is better than Tigger too, because Tigger too is a little scary and mean.
Those are based on stories by A.A Milne. If you are a self respecting parent, you should buy that magical collection of stories, and avoid the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
This story is not as fun as the originals, and it is a little disappointing. You are in the story also accompanied by a bluebird named Kessie. Just to mention, the voices are different in this movie, and if you watch the Storybook Classics, you will see the difference.
The synthesis is, that if you are a pooh lover, you should not waste time with this, you should get something you will enjoy. Stick to the originals!(Blustery Day, Honey Tree, Tigger too, Day for Eeyore).
on November 10, 1999
This video has some new animation introducing reruns of two of their morning cartoon shows. My Children were very disappointed that they had seen most of it before. Disappointing for us as well, the package states it is a "new full length adventure". Not worth spending money on. Just turn on your television.
0Comment40 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 1999
My son absolutely loves Winnie The Pooh and has the original "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". I was excited to see that a new full length video had been released, but I was very disappointed in what I saw. The animation is not done very well and it seems like it was just slapped together to make sure it was released before the Christmas season. Annoying things to me include the fact that Rabbit is green, and I remember him being yellow in the original and the fact that it looks like the characters don't blend in with their backgrounds - in other words it wasn't done very well. The original is far superior to this one.
My son still looks at it as he is only 2 years old, but as an adult it is a disappointment.
0Comment41 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 1999
I love this movie. Probley because I love Whinnie the Pooh and all his friends. This movie expresses all the gifts of friendship. I'm 11 and still love this movie! My mom is 57 and she loves this movie. I think it was great all the way through, although at the end it replays one of the eppisodes with Kessie. I find that ok because I love that episode. If you don't want to take the time to watch that just fast forward. The movie has somthing that makes you just feel good inside. I REALLY RECOMMEND IT!
Since 1926, "Winnie-the-Pooh" has been a staple in American pop culture as a family friendly character and stories that many children for generations have grown up with. And adults who have continued to share that with their own children.

With the holiday season coming up soon, the 10th Anniversary Edition of the third direct-to-video Winnie the Pooh animated feature "Seasons of Giving" from 1999 is re-released on DVD (note: the original DVD was released back in 2003) and comes with a mini Christmas stocking.

This feature revolves around Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Rabbit and friends celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas and the winter season!

"Seasons of Giving" is broken down into several arcs. The first arc is "Groundpiglet Day" (from "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh") as Rabbit and the group think the day is February 2nd, Groundhog Day (when actually, the calendar hasn't been changed) and thus they feel as they missed out on Thanksgiving and Christmas. So, in order to find out if there will be a cold front, they look at Piglet to be a groundhog and determine if Spring is coming soon.

The second arc features Winnie the Pooh inviting Christopher Robbin to join the group at Hundred Acre Wood and hoping for a fantastic Thanksgiving. This segment is from an actual special.

The third arc features the group celebrating Christmas and Rabbit receiving a Christmas card from Kessie, a blue bird that rabbit rescued years ago. With Roo wondering who is Kessie is, Rabbit tells his story of how he met Tessie (replaying the cartoon "Find her, Keep Her" from "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh").

VIDEO & AUDIO:

Video is featured in Widescreen (1:33:1) and for the most part, animation differs at times as some animation is from the TV series, another from a special. For the most part, the animation is from 1999 and the transfer shows its age a little and there are some dust and scratches on "groundpiglet day" while "A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving" features a more cleaner animation. And for the Christmas episode, the animation seems much more cleaner and vibrant but when Rabbit reminiscences of Tessie, then it goes back to older animation. You can tell which is the older animation as Rabbit is greyish, while in the newer animation he is yellow.

As for audio, audio is presented in Dolby Digital Surround Sound and is featured in English, French and Spanish language tracks. Audio is dialogue and music driven and for the most part is clear and understandable. For home theater owners, I felt that the best setting was to have audio set at stereo on all channels.

Subtitles are in English SDH, French and Spanish.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

"Winnie the Pooh - Seasons of Giving: 10th Anniversary Edition" comes with a small Christmas stocking included in the slipcase. As for special features, the following is included:

JUDGMENT CALL:

* The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - Magic Earmuffs - (11:09) Piglet doesn't take part in the winter games because he feels he can't skate. But when Christopher Robbin gives him his ear muffs, Piglet thinks he can now ice skate.
* The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - The Wishing Bear - (22:42) Christopher Robbin teaches Winnie the Pooh how to wish upon a star. When he does...he believes his wish to get honey comes true. Now, he wants to teach the others how to wish but unfortunately, it seems Pooh has forgotten what Christopher had taught him.
* Decorate Your Own Christmas Tree - Using your remote, you can decorate different Christmas trees
* Coloring with Piglet - Using your remote, you can play a game of memorization and try to color up to three pictures with the correct color.

Just in time for the holidays, "Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving" is released on DVD. I have pretty much grown up with "Winnie the Pooh" and the Christmas shows have always been a yearly ritual of watching and to say the least, my VHS tape is no longer watchable and with a six-year-old, I have been waiting for a DVD release of this title.

If there was one thing that may be difficult for some people is the different styles of animation between the segments from the animated television series "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" and the special. As you go from not so good picture quality, to very good picture quality, to even better picture quality and back to not so good picture quality. In other words, newer animation versus older animation, you get a mix of both.

So, for those who are looking for the quality of an animation such as "Pooh's Heffalump Halloween" (released in 2005, re-released this month) which has cleaner animation, your not going to get that consistency as the TV episodes from 1999 are mixed with the special.

With that being said, despite the animation inconsistency, the only one who will probably be bothered are mostly the adults. Frankly, children are probably not going to balk at it and for the most part, this is a family feature that will entertain the kids during the holiday season.

Overall, my six-year-old son enjoyed watching this feature and I can imagine that it's lighthearted, fun and heartwarming stories will also entertain other children as well. Also, you get two more cartoons as from "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" included on this DVD, two interactive games plus a mini-Christmas stocking. So, overall...this is a solid release.

For its low price and for its holiday entertainment factor, "Winnie the Pooh - Seasons of Giving: 10th Anniversary Edition" is definitely recommended!
on April 17, 2004
In this wonderful 70-minute film, we are brought to the Hundred Acre Wood in three different delightful tales that are sure to brighten up even the coldest day of the year, for viewers of all ages.
SEASONS OF GIVING starts on a cold and blustery day in the Hundred Acre Wood, when Piglet, Pooh, Rabbit, and Tigger set out on a quest to find Winter, a season that they seem to have "missed." While searching for Winter, the four friends begin a wild search to find the perfect ingredients for the greatest Thanksgiving feast, which eventually leads to the Christmas holidays, and a surprise visit from a very special friend.
In the first story, GROUNDPIGLET DAY, we meet up with the gang from the Hundred Acre Wood, as they ring in Spring.
The second story, starring Rabbit, A WINNIE THE POOH THANKSGIVING, we find the beloved Rabbit rushing about, which ultimately defeats the true meaning of the holiday season all together.
The third, and final story, again starring Rabbit, FIND HER, KEEP HER, features Rabbit showing his soft, and caring side, instead of his often grumpy side, when he finds, and adopts a wayward baby bird.
Featuring gorgeous animation, five brand new songs on this straight-to-video release, and everyone's favorite characters, Winnie-the-Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Piglet, Owl, Rabbit, Beaver, Roo, Kanga, and Christopher Robin, this film is sure to be a pleaser for the entire family to gather around the TV, and watch during this enchanting season. Winni-the-Pooh fans can not miss this movie!
Erika Sorocco
on August 9, 2003
This is a sweet and touching Pooh film. I strongly suggest watching it if you haven't. I am proud to have it in my collection. I first rented this video from my local video store. Once I watched it I just HAD to have it. It is that good. I knew that it would be a Pooh video that I would watch over and over.
on February 19, 2013
I tried to find the episode, "Find Her, Keep Her," on Youtube, but nothing. When I heard of this DVD, I thought, "That explains why no one wants to put the episode up on Youtube. Copyright." So I got it for about 50 cents (the rest was from my gift card).

But boy, this is bad. BAD! BAD! BAD!

First off, there is no classic opening from the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Instead we got a creepy CGI version of Christopher Robin's room with all the characters. The singing is terrible. I don't know who was in charge of the singing, but man, those kids in the songs couldn't sing. AT ALL.

And the movie goes as the following:

1) creepy CGI opening,

2) terrible singing about changes of the seasons,

3) "Groundhog Piglet" (a great episode, but was unfortunately edited in the ending. [For those who remember how it ended, Tigger shouted, "November 13th? Do you realize what this means? It's Porcupine day!" Remember that? Well, poor Jim Cummings was forced to shout, "November 13th? Do you realize what this means? Why it's almost Thanksgiving Day!" Really?])

4) more terrible singing,

5) A really dumb story about the gang getting ready for Thanksgiving (by the way, am I the only one that thinks it's creepy that the gang wants to get a turkey when Owl is joining them for the feast? o.O). I have to admit the ending was good in that Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have, but still the whole story itself was pretty bad.

6) more, MORE terrible singing about Christmas,

7) A short plot about the gang getting ready for Christmas with Rabbit telling Roo about Kessie, (by the way, Kanga, Eeyore, and Piglet have different actors for this short story, even though, the original actors had done the Thanksgiving one. But these new actors were awful. Kanga sounded like a some big mama cooking eggs and bacon (She seriously sounds like that). Piglet's voice actor didn't even get close to the original and Eeyore, well, you get the idea.)

8) Finally, the episode "Find Her, Keep Her" (again edited in the end, back to the gang by the fireplace listening to Rabbit)

9) And then seeing the gang getting the Christmas tree ready for Christmas. Oh yeah, and Kessie comes in at the last minute, hugging Rabbit saying, "Merry Christmas!"

So the best part of this whole movie was mainly the two episodes. But for everything else, I can't stand it. Even my sister, who is 10, just watches the episodes and skips the rest of the garbage. She even said that the Kessie episode is one of the best, yet put in the worst movie Disney could combined with.

*Advice? If you want to find a good DVD with the episodes without any distractions, get the "Frankenpooh and Spookable Pooh" on DVD. It's much better than this one.

Also, if Disney can read this, WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE A STORY IN BETWEEN. They did it with Pooh's Heffalump Halloween and A Merry Pooh Year. We just want the episodes, that's it. We're not asking much. Ruining our experience with these short stories along with our favorite episodes is not a bright idea. Kids can watch just the episodes and love it without any distractions.

Hope that this can clear some light on how bad this DVD was for you and your family.
on January 26, 2002
Not every kid's the same, but my daughter (3 now), loves it and we've had it going on a year now I think. I can't believe someone critiqued the animation! It's clean fun, songful, it's Winnie and friends, and my daughter and her friends enjoy it. What else is important?