5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian Tells It Like It Is
Jillian Michaels, the tough-talking personal trainer of the Red Team on "The Biggest Loser", brings her no-nonsense personality to this diet and exercise book. Not another "just eat less and move more" tome, Jillian actually acknowledges that there is an individual approach to losing weight, and that no correct way will work for everyone.

I have watched both...
Published on October 29, 2005 by Mochamajesty

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Jillian's best
Published on July 29, 2010 by Morgan Klug

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian Tells It Like It Is, October 29, 2005
Mochamajesty (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews

I have watched both seasons of The Biggest Loser, and I thought of Jillian as an abrasive woman who never had a weight problem in her life. I thought that she was tough on her "clients" because she looked down on them for being overweight. After reading her book, I have changed my opinion.

In the first section of the book that focuses on Self, Jillian states that she had a weight problem that had emotional roots (like mine), and that she had to value herself first, and then loose weight. In the next section, Science, Jillian demonstrates how to "crunch the numbers" to help us understand how our body works in relation to weight loss. Next, she goes on to explain the different ways that we process foods. Using this information, we can tailor a diet to suit our bodies. I learned that I was a "slow oxidizer", which means that I need 65% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat. This explained why I could never loose weight on Atkins (no low-carb craze for me). In the last section, Sweat, Jillian gives us the benefits of exercise as well as descriptions of various exercises (weight lifting).

This book is great, and not another typical weight-loss book. Utilizing common sense, knowledge, and, perhaps most importantly, a no-gimmick point of view, Jillian explains, encourages, and talks tough when she has to.

Keep telling it like is, Jillian. And thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Beginner Book, November 24, 2005
This is a very good book for all beginners in the exercise/weight loss arena. Jillian dispenses a lot of tips, support and encouragement.

She also provides a test to find out what type of 'oxidizer' (the way you burn nutrients) you are which helps you decide your nutrition plan.

Jillian explains how to calculate the calories needed for each person each day and how to vary your caloric intake to keep your metabolism from slowing.

She explains carbs and the way they break down in your system and provides some insight into the GI (Glycemic Index). Jillian also goes over the good and bad fats and why you need fat in your diet.

She covers label reading and helps the reader learn how to pick out healthier foods by reading their labels. She also provides tips to reduce the calories of foods you eat and receipes you make.

Jillian goes over cardio exercise - when to do it, how often and what types work best. She then discusses circuit weight training and how often and when to participate in these types of exercises.

The last third of the book is the Exercise Index where Jillian covers a wide variety of strength training exercises and provides instructions and photos showing exactly how to perform these exercises. Included in this section is a 12 week program for the reader to follow.

All in all I really liked her book. All beginners or even those that would like to pick up and extra tip or two should give it a read. Jillian covers all the basics and a little more then some weight loss books in that she also covers doing the 'internal work' before beginning a weight loss program.

Between the internal work, the science of weight loss, the sweat part you need to do and going over basic anatomy tips this book has a little bit of everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK, October 26, 2005
I have never posted a review on amazon or anything else for that matter in my life.

I recently went to hear Jillian lecture with some friends at a book signing in Los Angeles and couldn't believe how inspiring she was. She is tough on the Biggest Loser and I thought she was just like any other perfect bodied, know it all, celebrity trainer that could never relate to someone like me. but tonight I realized she really gets it. Even though it seemed like everyone there loved her book I just didn't want to buy it.

I have purchased 3 diet/fitness books in the past 2 months and have failed to open any of them, not to mention the 150$ "Body Makeover " program I purchased last week. (I'm all ready over it......too involved). I had to put a stop to it. I went to Barnes and Noble just to skim through her book for a bit and meet her and then of course I ended up buying it. I really think this was money well spent however.

I know that the fad diets, pills, books and programs that I have invested in are eventually going to fail but I just can't seem to stop. I don't know if anyone here is like me but I feel like I have so much knowledge that I have accumulated over the years by obsessing over new and old diet trends. Knowing what to do isn't the problem. It's getting off my but and doing it. From the few pages I read so far, I was so relieved at her realistic and undersatnding yet tough no excuses attitude.

Finally!!! Someone who doesn't insult me by telling me "just eat right and exersise and don't try to lose more than a pound per week. It's simple."

She knows that there is more to it. She spends a chapter on the emotional connection to weight issues and then cuts right to the chase with guidelines and basic science to figure out the best eating and excersise habits that work for YOU . It's not hundreds of pages of stuff I already know. It is short sweet and to the point. Thank you so much Jilian!!! I am sorry I under estimated you. You really are an inspiration. Sorry about the length......

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Jillian's best, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life (Paperback)
Although I've never seen The Biggest Loser, I consider myself a JM fan. Unfortunately, this is not her best work. The book's divided into 3 sections--self, science, and sweat. The self part is ok, but probably would be better for someone who has never thought about getting fit before. There's plenty of pep talk in that section, plus ideas for how to handle healthy living pitfalls (friends who order nachos, thinking you don't have enough time, etc). Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's all stuff we've heard before. I didn't jump out of my seat upon reading for the umpteenth time that I can have the waiter remove the bread basket if I can't resist it. I don't think that sort of info will be useful to many people.
The sweat section is also just ok. She sets out a number of different exercises and how and why you should combine them in certain ways, and gives you a sample 12 week schedule. The problem for me with exercise demos in books is that--as with this book--you're never going to get it to lay flat, and you're going to have to flip around for the exercises before each one (if you're like me and have the memory skills of a gnat). My suggestion to people who still would like to use the book to put together a routine would be to get crafty with a copier. Put each exercise on one page, and then you can put them in order in a 3-ring binder (switching them out for different routine combinations so you don't plateau).
The big problem with the book for me, though, is her diet advice. This book came out in 2005, and since then, JM's learned a lot. In fact, I can't recommend her newer book, Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! enough. The diet she suggests in this book is the opposite in many ways of her newer (healthier, more satisfying) plan. The diet in this book is filled with processed foods, all that low-cal, no-fat, fake sugar nonsense that won't help you in the long run and will mess with your body beyond belief. She even suggests some sort of cream cheese roll-up snack that has Splenda in the cream cheese! Please don't eat like this! But definately if you need advice look to her Master Your Metabolism book.
All-in-all, do yourself a favor--if you want to improve your diet, check out Master Your Metabolism. If you need exercise advice, by all means look to the last third of this book (or better yet, use her 30 Day Shred dvd which is amazing!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST BUY!, June 11, 2006
This book is fantastic! It is divided into 3 categories, Self, Science, and Sweat.

In Self, she teaches you how to build a support groups and revamp your negative self image and filter out those individuals in your life that are harmful to your health.

In Science, she teaches you how to calculate your BMR and AMR so that you can create a weekly caloric regiment specifically gear towards your bodies unique. She also helps you to determine what type of oxiderizer you are (slow, balanced, or fast) so that you can determine the ratio of carbs, proteins, and fats your body needs. Then she gives you a list of foods that are optimal for your body type and weight loss goals.

In Sweat she gives a detailed 12 week fitness workout along with an index of specific workouts and with alterations for various fitness levels.

I bought this book a month ago, and so far, I have lost 8 lbs (2 pounds a week). This book restored my faith in myself and my ability to lose the weight and keep it off.

She also gives tips on how to measure foods with your hands to maintain proper portion control.

THIS BOOK ROCKS!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian Michaels Turning Losers Into Winners, November 6, 2005
When you get to help people make life-altering changes in their life week after week in front of millions of television viewers, there is undoubtedly a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes along with that. For Jillian Roberts, that is only the beginning of the reward she gets to enjoy as she helps people overcome their weight loss struggles and start to believe in themselves in her new book called Winning By Losing.

As one of two personal trainers on the hit NBC television reality show "The Biggest Loser" (read my review of "The Biggest Loser" book and my exclusive interview with the show's other trainer, Bob Harper, at LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com), Michaels is known as a tough cookie who doesn't tolerate whining and complaining when it comes to getting healthy. That same vigor and bullheaded resolve is on full display in Winning By Losing.

Michaels is a contrast in style within herself inasmuch as she comes across as a bully with a boorish attitude on the one hand and then can be as a kind, gentle sister encouraging and cheering you on the next. You never really know which Jillian you're gonna get, but that's what makes her so effective in what she does as a motivator and life coach for the contestants on "The Biggest Loser." She takes those same qualities and writes them down in Winning By Losing in an easily communicated message of hope for anyone desiring lasting weight loss and excellent overall health in her new book.

Winning By Losing uses a "triple threat approach to total health" by focusing on three specific areas: Self, Science, and Sweat.

In the Self section, Michaels says people need to get real about losing weight, make the necessary changes emotionally and mentally to do it for real this time, and begin creating healthy eating habits that will help them for the rest of their life.

In the Science section, she explains how your body loses weight, how your metabolism works, which carbs and fats are good for you and bad for you, carefully reading food labels, and tips for eating right at home and when eating out.

Finally, in the Sweat section, what would you expect from Jillian Michaels? Move, baby, move! She details the basic anatomy of the human body and why we need good cardio workouts on a regular basis for the rest of our lives to get and stay healthy.

Michaels is quick to point out that Winning By Losing is not about "instant gratification" or even losing weight by only investing only "eight minutes in the morning" (oh, I knew I loved Jillian, but her slam on Jorge Cruise just makes my day! YOU GO GIRL!). Instead she says if you are willing to invest a little hard work into making this happen, then you will be capable of accomplishing anything you want.

As a 180+ pound weight loss success, I can vouch for the fact that your confidence in what you do increases exponentially after shedding that much weight. People who have never struggled with their weight can never understand the freedom and power that comes from taking back control of your life even after you think there was no hope left for you. Jillian will tell you that coming to the realization that you have a weight problem and then pro-actively dealing with it is the ultimate key to changing your life forever (you can read more about my weight loss success story in my book "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb").

I know she has talks about this a lot on "The Biggest Loser" show, but Michaels has not always had the beautifully sculpted body you see on the front cover of Winning By Losing. She recalls painful memories of being overweight that led to a lot of "emotional baggage" that could have devasted her life forever. But thanks in part to martial arts, she was able to channel that negative energy she carried around and transform it into the vibrant and enthusiastic person she has become today.

Winning By Losing encompasses Michael's sincere desire to help people help themselves with whatever struggle they may be having. If someone is carrying around 100 pounds of extra weight that they don't need, then her book can help them realize that they are not destined to stay there if they are willing to make the necessary changes in their own life to bring about lasting results that will literally change their life forever. Allow her to pull out that fire-breathing animal inside of you just begging to get your body into tip-top shape.

Jillian Michaels is literally turning big losers (of weight, that is!) into big winners in life! She can help you, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever changed, October 16, 2005
I know this is a book that will truly change the face of health and wellness. I believe this from the bottom of my heart.

When my wife bought this book for me I refused to crack open the cover. I was frustrated from trying so many diets that failed, and not getting anywhere. I finally gave in, read the first page, and haven't looked back.

There are plenty of guides that promise to deliver the latest magic bullet. They will tell you what to eat and how to train and then leave you wondering, "Why can't I stick with this?"

What makes Winning By Losing unique is that the book begins with something many others do not: inspiration.

The book quickly moves to another aspect most people forget to consider, but is the most important muscle to train: your mind. I don't remember following any diet or reading any other book at the time that forced me to sit down and really consider my goals, my reasons, and what I was willing to sacrifice for the greater good. It was the ability to tap into a "why" or passionate reason to change that enabled me to overcome obstacles and gain enough momentum to finally transform.

Jillian also does a great job of explaining why there is no one size fits all approach to nutrition / diet. She introduces the concept that we all have different nutrition requirements in order to maximize our metabolism and her book is interactive in order to help you find the foods and calories that are right for you. She isn't strict though. She makes a point in her book to say that "there is room for unhealthy foods in a healthy lifestyle". In fact, Michaels believes that if you don't incorporate those "unhealthy" treats into your life you are setting yourself up for failure.

You won't be overburdened with scientific explanations of kinesiology and physiology in the exercise section. Instead Michaels explains her unique fitness philosophy with simple descriptions and straightforward illustrations of exercises and how to do them.

The 12 week exercise program takes out any guesswork by telling you EXACTLY what to do and how to do it. Some people may find her fitness regimen to hard and I encourage you to explore other methods that may fit better into your schedule and, more importantly, your enjoyment.

Over all, I believe this will be the masterpiece that shakes the diet and fitness industry and changes many lives. This book takes the ordinary person and shows them that they have the power to be extraordinary. It is changing my life, and if you are open to the message, it may change yours as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE Biggest Loser, September 10, 2005
I was on the show, The Biggest Loser, and had the GREAT opportunity to meet and work with Jillian Michaels. She opened doors for me that had been shut forever. She helped me to lose weight, do it on my own, and FINALLY gain the strength and confidence I needed. I owe my LIFE to this wonderful woman, Jillian. Her book is EXACTLY everything she taught us on the show. I literally read it in one day, and it made me miss her and the ranch so much! This book will CHANGE your life, but you have to WANT it! You can do it! Thanks, Jillian for this AWESOME book, I feel as though you are with me again. I love you:)

Lisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book! I'm so impressed!, January 31, 2006
D. Oteri (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm someone that already works out 5 to 6 days a week and have read A LOT on the subject of fitness and nutrition. I was honestly skeptical and a little cynical about this book just because Jillian is a "TV Trainer" (snark, snark!), but I was feeling really unmotivated after the holidays and I was trawling Amazon for some new books to get me re-motivated, and hopefully to teach me something new. I read all the great reviews on here, which sparked my interest in the work out she outlined... So I bought it! Okay, let me just say, I LOVE THIS BOOK! If you are starting out, this book is really all you need. Jillian doesn't subscribe to any fitness myths and fads, everything she preaches is time tested and will get you results if you follow it. There are no gimmicks, so you have to follow a healthy diet and do the (hard!) work. I read some earlier criticism that she skimmed over the "Self" portion of the book, which goes over getting past your food and self-esteem issues, but really, this is not her job. Even if you wrote a 1000 page book on the subject, it's not going to be enough to help most people get past their emotional problems. Otherwise everyone would pick up a Dr Phil book on self-esteem and be "cured", right? It's just like with the rest of the book, you read the information given to you and do your own work, no trainer or author can fix your life for you, they can only point you in the right direction and give you some of those tools to help you get there. Anyhow, back to fitness, I really feel that this book reinforced everything I already knew, taught me a few things I didn't (I'm a balanced oxidizer! No more high fat CKD's for me!) and really MOTIVATED me. I'm also really enjoying her workout. It's really challenging and exactly what I needed. I was so bored with my old weight routine, I just didn't know how to go about changing it. 5 Stars from me, all the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to The Biggest Loser book and show- written by one of the fitness coaches for the show, March 7, 2006
Watching the show and reading this book helped me to lose a very stubborn 27 pounds. With a "Take No Prisoners" approach Jilliam Micheaels lays it on the line, motivating readers to "tweak" their program, taking it to the next level (or getting couch potatos to get off their rears and into action).

This is an edgy, honest book. It doesn't soft pedal the truth. To lose weight, to be healthy, you have to sweat and work. There isn't a way around that. But there ARE ways to adapt fitness to your SPECIFIC body type and this is what I found to be most helpful about this book.

MOst importantly, Michaels has been there. She was overweight. She was unhappy. SHe was out of shape. This lends a lot of credence to her book.

Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life
Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life by Jillian Michaels (Paperback - October 30, 2007)
$16.99 $13.31