5.0 out of 5 stars My Thoughts About Rubik's Cube
This was a gift to my son (who is now 41 years old) but when he was in his pre-teens I bought him his first Rubik's Cube and he would spend hours playing with it. So after his kidney transplant I decided to purchase another one for him and he has really enjoyed playing with it plus enjoying old memories. Thank you.
Published on June 1, 2007 by Cynthia Wharton

1.0 out of 5 stars Deserves ZERO Stars...
Published on July 14, 2006 by B-Ry

1.0 out of 5 stars Deserves ZERO Stars..., July 14, 2006
B-Ry (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
I've gotten better quality Rubik's cubes for free from IT conventions. Shame on Rubik's for endorsing such a horrible piece of crap. Just feeling the cube (even if you haven't touched one for 20 years) you'll realize how cheap/light this thing actually is. After repeated use, the stickers begin to curl up. With even more use, the cubes begin to loosen up & eventually break away. I guess they realized that the older cubes were too well made & defied the rules for the standards of economics.

You've been forewarned...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing substitute from the Original, October 26, 2006
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
Out of the box, the cube is stiff, cannot be really speeded very well, and I assume it's going to go downhill from here. Doesn't have the feel, crispness, and mechanical snap of the original by Ideal. Why is it so difficult to duplicate the original? Well for us addicts what are we going to do?

1.0 out of 5 stars The cubes from Asia are WAY Better (lighter, faster, smoother), April 11, 2007
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
If you're new to cubing and want to buy a really good Rubiks cube, read this! I've read through all of these reviews, and anyone who rated this Rubiks Cube at 4-5 stars seems to be a novice and does not know a thing about Rubiks cubes (FYI, a heavier cube is not a good thing, you want them to be light and spin fast). I'm getting ahead of myself - Allow me to enlighten you;

I bought a few of these cubes 4 years ago when I was a beginner. I thought they were really cheap, like $8 at the time. It wasn't a great cube but I had no complaints then (what did I know anyway?), although turning a face felt like trying to open a tightly sealed jar. I also never knew what 'finger tricks' were, as they were virtually impossible without finger/forearms of steel. This cube was just heavy, hard to turn, and locked up a lot. I simply didn't know any better.

Then last year I took a trip to Asia and discovered their "Magic cubes" ("Magic" is the literal translation in Chinese). Are they the original Rubiks cube? No, but who cares? They are practical neither is this brand. They typically come in colors of white (instead of black) and are extremely smooth, fast, and have corner cutting abilities of 20-45 degrees. They are the "professional" cubes that speed cubers use. Thus, I have been collecting these various Magic cubes for about a year now, purchasing them online (eBay, and a few great vendors and great chinese-based websites!). They range from $4-12 with free shipping from China. And it is not a scam, believe me. If you want to buy a Rubiks cube Google the "F II cube" or "Alpha V cube" (those are just a few names of cubes) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I wish I had known all of this even when I was a beginner.

So if you're going to buy a Rubiks cube, please do yourself a favor and avoid these American cubes. I typically don't gun for Chinese products, but this is the one time you'll be happy you bought from China instead of the US. For starters, google "shengen F II cube" or "Haiyan Alpha V cube" or "Dayan Guhong cube." Just trying to help everyone out. Thanks for reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars bought two, both crappy, August 31, 2006
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
I'm just a beginner, and even I can feel how stiff and narrow this thing is when you try to rotate a face. I could be doing it wrong, but the cube gets all crooked when I spin a face quickly. You have to align the cube just right to get this darn thing to turn, otherwise, it'll get stuck in position. Even forcing it will make the cube feel like the corner piece will break off. I tried using spray, but it did not make a difference. Works sort of okay for beginners like me, but totally not recommended for speed cubers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Peice of Garbage, July 18, 2006
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
I recently bought each of my boys one of these Rubic's cubes. What a mistake. After only a few hours of use the stickers started coming off the squares and they looked terrible. It is amazing that a company could let such garbage out the door. I would look for another brand if you really want one of these time wasters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not built to last., June 17, 2007
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
My mother bought a rubik's cube back when it first came out. She still has it, and, despite being older than I am, it is still intact. It's a little bit stiff, but that is to be expected for a toy over 25 years old. THAT is how well these things used to be made.

This one, however. is a piece of junk. If you're a beginner to rubik's cubes, you'll probably have no problems with it (and, in all likelihood, you'll give up long before the thing starts to show signs of wear) because you'll be doing slow moves. However, if you're more experienced (and thus making much faster and vigorous moves/turns), then the stickers will come off very quickly. I have also experienced the internal mechanism becoming too loose and having the external cubes pop off.

I've owned about five of these because they're the only brand I can find locally, and they've all worn out pretty quickly.

2.0 out of 5 stars the stickers suck, May 16, 2007
stp (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
I love the rubik but the stickers they have suck. it's not the old school stickers, this rubik is made up of 3 layers. a white base layer, then the color layer (which seems like it's painted on) and then a thin clear sticker. after a week of use, the thin clear sticker starting peeling and after that the color layer just rubs off. I hope they redesign how they put the colors on this b/c it' worthless if you can't tell what color the sides are.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, January 2, 2007
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
Just like every Rubik's cube I've ever had, this one is a piece of junk. The folks at Rubik's have always made a substandard product. I had one of the knock-off brand cubes as a kid and it seemed to be much sturdier. Common problems with Rubiks' products...1) stickers fall off, and 2) the whole thing becomes loose and sub-cubes start to fall off the main cube. It's junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad attempt at copying the original, October 19, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
Let me start out by saying that I am neither a kid nor a hard-core cuber. I am simply a guy who used to spend a lot of time cubing in the 70's and 80's when the Rubik's Cube first made it to the Western world. I still have the original cube - which works very well but doesn't deserve being man-handled by every single visitor to my home. Alas, I set out to purchase a replacement that I can occasionally "solve" while I also won't mind if my neighbor's kid messes around with it.

The particular cube offered here is, quite frankly, pathetic. If you've ever held a quality cube, you will instantly know that this is not one of them as soon as you pick it up. This cube is very light and the plastic has a certain "cheap" feel to it. As you would expect, a new cube is somewhat stiff - but there is a little more friction here than I would have hoped for. I am actually hesitant to use the word "friction" - it felt like there was a piece of gum stuck in between the cube. As though, somehow, the plastic is too soft to allow for individual tiles to easily slide past each other. Not fun at all. Now, I am sure that this problem would ease with time (and use), but there is another problem just around the corner that will likely prevent me from ever finding out:

Worse then the friction, is the simple fact that the stickers come off very, very quickly. Yes, I know, they are stickers - what do I expect!? Well, I do expect that they last for at least a few completions of the cube. With this cube, they did not. Instead, stickers started to slowly slide across tiles and I had to constantly reposition them. Of course, once they have come off and you have repositioned them, the glue is even less adhesive and the problem only gets worst. Obviously, once you start losing stickers, you keep getting a somewhat sticky cube, and you'll never get enough use out of the cube to find out if the friction problem gets better. In essence, you end up with a useless cube.

I must admit that I live in a very humid climate - which certainly doesn't help. Of course, other cubes that I have purchased by now do not have any of these problems...

In essence, there is simply no excuse for such an inferior product. It's a waste of money that won't provide the fun you are hoping for.

As I said, I am not a hard-core cuber nor am I obsessed with achieving some incredibly fast time to solve this thing. All I want is good value for my money and a product that is durable and does what it is supposed to do! Fortunately, if you are shopping around for a cube, there are a few sites that offer a much better product. Google "cube 4 you" for some excellent cubes. The guy operates out of China and only accepts PayPal. However, he is fast and honest - and you are likely going to pay less than you would for the Winning Moves cube - and that includes shipping!

1.0 out of 5 stars New East sheen all the way, January 13, 2007
Chris Stevens (Philadelphia , PA, Usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubik's Cube (Toy)
Rubik's cube quality is all but non existent. The cube doesn't turn, the stickers peel.

don't ever buy a Rubik's brand Rubik's cube.

New East Sheen has high quality cubes at less than the rubik's cube price, that's what i't suggest

Rubik's Cube