Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Espresso|Style Name: no basket|Change

We're a family of bookworms who've had to get creative about adding linear feet of shelving. We also love oversize hardbound books and folios, so we need sturdy storage. A few months ago, I found these low-rise units on Amazon and realized they would fit in some unused space under a picture window. I ordered a single unit as kind of a test run to see how I liked the shelf in person -- color, stability, durability.

That shelf rated a solid six stars. I easily assembled it solo (instructions call for two-person assembly); the wood pieces were true and of reassuring heft, so I was able to put heavy books on both lower shelves and smaller items surrounded by movable decorative bookends on the top shelf (you could easily leave it bare or put collectibles there).

Unfortunately, the second piece I ordered had flaws in terms of the coloring of the finish. Because two of the three shelves and both of the rear rails are reversible, I was able to minimize the visual impact. I'm using these as bookshelves, the color issue is not a problem, but I wanted to note it for those who may be considering leaving most of the wood visible. Winsome's basket sets certainly would cover any areas and are designed to work with this line of shelves.

After a vigorous internal debate, as hinted at by the title of this review, I've given this shelf four stars. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. It's sturdy, it's solid wood, I love the espresso tone, and it's a good value. As of this writing in May 2009, this product is sorted into the "bathroom" category and it does seem as though it would handle the humidity. However, to my mind it is well suited for a bedroom, living room or home office.
22 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2011
I was looking for something that would hold my printer and paper as well as a makeshift storage area on the first floor for baby items for my granddaughter. I also ordered the 3 baskets to go with it. Directions say you need 2 people to put together, but I had no problems at all doing by myself. Sturdy, nice looking piece - exactly the size and quality I wanted.
review image
on September 8, 2011
Bought 2 of these to store my children's toys in the living room, while coordinating with our "adult" furniture. We wanted something with no drawers, lids, or doors that can pinch little fingers. Finish is a bit irregular in places, but not really noticeable to the casual observer. Assembly was fairly straight forward. The baskets are actually great - very sturdy as determined by the 2 year old pulling, pushing, dropping and throwing test -- after months of use, they still look great!
VINE VOICEon April 29, 2011
I put it together alone in about 20 minutes. It seems well made and durable. It's attractive. What more can you ask of a basic, cheap bookshelf?

I like that it has rails behind the shelves, to help the books stay on, as my books like to slide off the back of open shelves.

Note that this is not foldable and not stackable. I knew this when I ordered, but many other items that compete with it are so I thought I'd mention.
I needed an additional bookcase in my bedroom and didn't want anything too big...or too expensive. I was a little worried ordering this as some of this manufacturer's pieces weren't reviewed too well (pieces scratched, didn't fit, etc.)

It arrived and I immediately opened it to make sure it was okay. No problems. Well, a tiny scratch on the back side of the top shelf...not a big deal since this will sit against the wall. I put it together by myself in about 25 minutes. I did go the extra step of putting some wood glue (not included, but even white glue will work) on the dowel pieces and on the little caps that cover the screws (it comes with 12 screws, and Allen wrench, and the little wooden caps that cover the holes.)

It looks very nice. The top doesn't sit perfectly on the sides, the middle of the side pieces are just slightly larger than the ends so the top has tiny gaps under it in the front and back. It could have been more flush, but it isn't fine furniture...and the gaps are really only noticeable when you look at it straight on from low in the front...and they are small...less than 16th of an inch. I wasn't sanding or planing for that small of an amount.

It feels very study and is already full with books. I sort of wish I picked one with adjustable shelves, but choose this because it was made of wood, not particleboard and plastic laminate. I really like it.
on August 16, 2011
Pros:
- Solid wood.
- Pieces fit together well.
- Structure is highly stable.
- Wicker baskets and shelf are attractive. Received many compliments from office neighbors.
- Comes with allen wrench so you don't need any tools to put it together.
- Can be assembled by one person with a little bit of coordinated balancing. But easier if you had 2 people.
- I use it to replace my regular book shelving in my office to give it a warmer feel. I accompany it with bamboo floor mats.

Cons:
- None that I've seen so far.
on September 22, 2010
This was the second Winsome wood shelf I had purchased. After receiving the first one, which met my expectations with a decent sleek and shiny finish, I decided to order another. The second was NOT the same quality. The finish was dry and dull, had some minor nicks in it, and its finish did not match the first one I bought, dull vs shiny. Instead of having it "out there" where it could be seen next to the sofa along with its companion shelf as I had wanted, I put cork on the top of it and shoved it in a corner. I'm not sure where it will go next. I considered "trying it again" by ordering another one, but then decided it wasn't worth the gamble.
on November 10, 2015
Bought this shelf together with 3 more shelves of this brand (2 narrow/ 4 shelf and 1 narrow/2 shelf), to furnish my closet. I was able to make shoe racks out of them, store purses and folded sweaters. What I like about them is that they are very sturdy shelves and I was able to put my very tall 5 inch heels on the shelves even though most of the cheaper shoe racks are not able to fit high heels. I am very satisfied with my purchase and i am happy that I didn't spend this much money on organizing closet in my rental place.
review image review image
on January 31, 2007
I just bought both the large (3 shelf) as well as this one. They just look grand in my living room. They are very easy to assemble and require no tools other than the small wrench which is included. Of course, now I have to rearrange my living room. Both items add a lot of class to my space and I am very glad that I bought both items. The baskets are sturdy with good handles on them and they can hold a good deal of stuff. The wood is high quality and has been finished very well. All in all, a very good value.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2013
This unit serves its functional and visually attractive purpose under our bathroom counter/sinks.

The basket drawers are narrow (in length/depth) but tall ( two smaller: 11" x 10" x 9 1/4" / one larger: 23" x 10" x 9 1/4"),
so you just have to adapt that these are not like a standard drawer when you pull them forward (if you use them in this way).

We affixed cork on the bottoms of the baskets to avoid scratching the shelf top and for a more smooth "pull"
I found a "utensil tray" in the same wicker at another store for my "top shelf"

The unit was easy to put together.

I don't know if it's intended to be super sturdy, but it's perfect for my bathroom supplies.

At $84 free shipping, I am still very pleased after 3 months.