1,032 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stool; a fantastical assembly experience.
Published on August 2, 2012 by MamaRuski

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Stool / Poor Quality Control
I purchased two of these stools for seating at our counterspace in our kitchen. The stool is very nice looking and goes together in about 30 minutes or so. (This was assembly time for each stool.) It's a little more difficult than you'd think given the number of parts.

Published on July 12, 2010 by Reviewer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stool; a fantastical assembly experience., August 2, 2012
I just got this stool, but I always forget to write reviews, so I figured I'd go ahead and review it as far as I can thus far. I really like the look of this stool. It looks more expensive than I the actual cost. The stool I recieved DID have a defect in the seat portion; it looks like a section of the wood was gouged somehow, and it was painted over rather than being sanded down. It does not affect the function of the stool, however, and I did not notice it until I ran my hand over the top.

The assembly was a breeze. It took me less than 15 minutes to fully assemble, with only an over-excited 5 year old to help, plus an autistic 3 year old, angry 2 year old, and pesky 7 month old to make assembly more interesting. The directions were easy to understand, and it required no tools other than the allen wrench that came with the product. I do recommend using some carpenter's glue to secure the screw covers, as mine simply will not stay in the holes. That's my only complaint about the assembly.

Once assembled, everyone tried it out, and the verdict(s) is(are):

5yo: It kinda hurts to climb up on with bare feet.
3yo: I like being so high up in da sky.
2yo: I need help, Mama!
Me: It appears sturdy, with no apparent wobble or creakiness.
Husband: It's fine. I don't know why you thought we needed a stool.

Which brings me to my final point, the weight limit. My husband is not overweight, but at just over 6 feet tall, comes to close to the weight limit for his comfort. I don't see it listed in the product description, but a label on the underside of the stool's seat warns that it can only hold 220 lbs. Not an issue for me, but I imagine there are plenty of people who might consider ordering this stool for whom that would be a deterrent.

To sum it up, for a good price, you're getting a nice looking stool that is easy to assemble, might need some wood glue, and holds a smaller amount of weight than I had expected (though to be honest, I'm not really a stool-weight-limit expert, so this might be a very appropriate limit.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and sturdy, February 13, 2010
This stool is great! It is wide and sturdy and just the right height.
I weigh over 300 lbs and this stool does not budge!
Takes a little time to put together but well worth it.
Nice color. It is of very good quality.
You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great stool., April 1, 2012
Just a great stool. Had it put together in 10 minutes. I backed up the screw joints with white glue. I weigh almost 300 lbs, and this stool is rock-solid.
It is just right in my kitchen for the assorted tasks I do.
The seat part is wide enough for my fat a$$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stools!, October 7, 2009
These stools look great, were well packaged and easy to put together. And a great price to boot! I chose these stools because the style and color match my dining room table perfectly. Also, since they are very shallow, I can push them under the counter and they stay out of the way. Our previous stools were more like chairs with backs, and they took up a lot of room and we were constantly shifting them to get by. (They were also too short for our bar-height counter, but that is another story...)

As one reviewer previously mentioned, when you are unpacking the contents of the box, be sure to look for the red dots on the legs. The legs of the stool are packaged two together - both legs with red dots are in the same bag. The red dots ensure that the holes for the cross bars are facing the right way. I was surprised at how small the box was. It comes with an allen wrench and a total of 12 screws. I think it took about 10-15 minutes to read the directions and put the first one together.

One thing I wish I had thought about was the "feet". We have dark wood floors which show every little scratch, and I should have bought some felt pads for these at the same time. For now, I taped some of the the soft packing material under the bottom of the legs :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Stool / Poor Quality Control, July 12, 2010

Overall I like the stool EXCEPT that with each one there were parts that were missing. Attempting to get the parts has proven challenging. With the first stool we had cut up the box before getting it all assembled. Mistake #1. Then we realized that it was missing one of the connecting leg pieces. Trying to figure out how to contact the manufacturer has resulted in a number of phone calls. The last one I finally reached someone at the manufacturer and they indicated that the only way I can get the missing pieces is to fill out a form that supposedly came with the stool. Now I'll need to go see if I can find the form - of which I don't recall seeing.

Using the two boxes we were able to get one completely assembled (parts combined of the two boxes eventually equaled one complete stool) and it looks very nice and is sturdy.

Now we face the challenge of getting our remaining pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Comfortable, Well Built and Priced Right, September 16, 2009
This review is from: Winsome Wood 29" Saddle Seat Stool, Nat. (Kitchen)
Needed a small footprint for kitchen counter/breakfast bar and this was exactly the ticket. Arrived quickly in good condition, assembly took minutes and included everything required. All pre-drilled holes, washers screws etc fit securely and alignment was perfect. Good height, neutral. Great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stools, January 28, 2009
We ordered these stools and did not know what we were getting for such a low price but we were surprised that they are such great stools. These are as good as any stools in the stores.Very well made and our 4 year old loves to sit on them while he eats at our pass through. I would buy these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Winsome Wood 29" Saddle Seat Stool, Nat. (Kitchen)
These stools are much sturdier and have a much better finish than most saddle stools more than twice this price. They are also surprisingly comfortable. They went together quick and easy. I was going to build my own but these stools cost less than the lumber. Great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed, September 25, 2009
We ordered 2 of these stools to fit under our kitchen bar. They went together relatively smoothly with the enclosed hex wrench and hardware. It took me a little over an hour to get them both assembled. Be sure to pay attention when you unpack the pieces--two of the legs are marked with red dots and must be matched up to red dots on the underside of the stool. I unpacked everything before I read the directions and was chagrined to find that only one of the legs had a red dot. I made a wild guess as to which might be the other "red dot" leg and to my relief, the stool turned out just fine, no wobbles. I was less than thrilled to see that the support pieces that connect the legs were not sanded well and that the finish was uneven. It's not obvious to most, but I know the pieces could have looked better. It diminishes some of the satisfaction I have with the product, but not enough that I'd send them back! They were very well packaged, no damage at all in shipping. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious problems with these stools, August 5, 2013
If you have a little bit of common sense, wood glue and the willingness to spend a few extra dollars on better wood screws this chair is serviceable. The problem with this chair is

1. the pre-drilled holes are off center making it slightly harder to put together (and will strip the VERY cheap screws and allan wrench that came with it) Seriously, the metal used for the tool AND the screws is VERY soft and easy to strip...i have never stripped an allan wrench before this...

2. Spend two bucks on higher quality wood screws and use your own allan wrench (or screwdriver depending on what screws you use) and it will make putting this stool together MUCH easier.

3. I highly suggest piecing together this chair first before you glue and/or screw it together...just in case. But also, using wood glue when putting this together makes the stool MUCH more solid.

Winsome Wood 29" Saddle Seat Stool, Nat.
$59.00 $39.61