5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
The previous reviewer is correct. This is not a toy. If you are buying for child or a novice, save a lot of money and buy the Cotman version of the same set. But if you are a serious painter, read on:

Published on March 28, 2012 by Henrietta

3.0 out of 5 stars not best gift for a 10 yr old child
So small that you wonder why it was so expensive. Bought this as a christmas present for a 10 yr old girl. When it arrives, it is underwhelming as a watercolor kit. I would not recommend as a toy gift for a child.
Published on January 16, 2012 by Freq Amazon shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 28, 2012
This review is from: Winsor & Newton Artists' Water Colour Compact Set each (Toy)

I love this set - it's very compact and handy for use in the field. I've used it all over Europe and the States. The color selection is great: all rich, transparent, professional-grade colors. Each basic color has a warm and a cool shade, which can be used to mix most any other colors. I took out the titanium white and replaced it with another green shade by filling the box with a tube color-(no need to buy another pan). One problem: the pans kept falling out. I finally glued them in. No more problem! (Note to WN: fix this.)

The brush is high quality, holds a lot of paint for its size, and keeps a nice point for detail. If you love to paint and like to travel or paint plein aire- this is for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not a Toy! Its a useful artist's tool., November 6, 2011
I was suprised to see that Winsor and Newton's little box of paint is labeled a 'toy.' This is high quality paint in a very small box, handy for tucking in a backpack or purse.

I was pleased with most of the colors and can replace the ones I want to change. One can easily order replacement 'half pans' of paint in a huge variety of colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Loved it!!!, February 20, 2011
I loved this watercolor set because it offers an extensive amount of area to mix colors. When you SLIDE out the bottom, it goes as smoothly as ice skates on ice. I love this so much... you can make a lot of combination colors where they actually look GOOD. Loved it so much and would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to quality watercolors for the novice watercolor painter, April 1, 2013
I wanted to write this review to explain why it is such a great set for someone beginning to paint in watercolors - and I would imagine it's also a handy set for many others. Altough that's true, this set is not a toy that one would give to a child! I found it confusing that Amazon asked me to first rate this set as a toy before moving on to what I really thought.

This set is great for someone new to watercolors because it provides a perfect selection of introductory colors. In the past, I've sometimes struggled with what colors to buy. This set does it for you. In addition, if you use up a half-pan of color, you can easily order another, so you don't have to be overconcerned about using up one or two colors of paint.

I also love this set because of the great brush it comes with. When I was first starting to p aint with watercolors, I struggled with picking the best brushes. I'd done some stenciling, acrylic painting, etc., but had no idea how to buy a watercolor brush other than a basic wash brush. The little brush in this set is short, easy to control, and makes someone aware of the need for the right brush to get the right result!

I also love the small pans and areas to mix paints (something that's necessary, give how well these colors mix together and how fun they are to use)!

I've tried many watercolors over the years, from inexpensive palettes to more expensive tubes of color. This set was the first one that I used and went "ahhhhah." Almost instantly I realized I had finally found what I had been looking for and the quality of my work improved dramatically.

If you want to give these to a child, I guess you could, but I'd pay attention to the child's age, aptitude, level of interest, and ability and willingness to take care of them. At $60, I'd think carefully about this purchase for a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 4, 2014
I'm a new artist in an old body. The talent has always been there, but never the confidence to put my heart into it. So I started with sketching (am still working on that) and tried acrylics, which I like but could certainly use improvement on, and then I watched some YouTube videos on water color painting because I thought...."not me. I could never....." Again, the confidence thing. My father was a good amateur artist who, in his later years, painted exclusively with water colors and it was a long learning curve even for him. But I thought about this and realized that the tool you use is as important as anything, and paints are the tool. So I spent the money (it seemed like a lot at the time) and bought myself this kit, and I am not sorry. I thought "how good can it be? It's in such a small package," but the old saying is true that the best things come in small packages.

I love these paints. As untutored as I am, even I can paint with these. They are marvelous. And the better I get over time, the more I am sure I will love them. You can buy cheaper and you can buy more expensive, but these are truly good quality paints, the brush is excellent quality, and I can only say try them. You'll love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, May 11, 2013
Rec'd the watercolor compact set the day after ordering! The colors are bright, the set is easy to use and fits in my fanny pack perfectly. And - there is even a sable brush in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, February 21, 2013
We have a budding artist in our family, our granddaughter. She lives in NYC and often visits the Metropolitan Museum of Art to sketch and draw. We thought this would be a good travel set for her to pack along. My husband is a watercolor artist and he has had one for years and has been very impressed with his. This set does not disappointment. It was a perfect gift for her

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality compact kit., July 6, 2014
This is a wonderful kit, compact and contains artist quality pigments. Of course, you may always swap out for other colors or switch to full pans if you prefer a more limited palette. However, I find this wonderful to take with me on my sketching adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, March 14, 2014
I love the size and the beautiful colors. The colors are so pretty and blend very well. Great to take on outdoor painting.

4.0 out of 5 stars update, December 26, 2013
This is nowhere near as nice as I had thought it would be. It is VERY small and cheap looking. Not worth the price.

Update: This was for my mother, the artist, and she told me the above. I changed my rating from one star. because in recently questioning her about it, she clarified it for me. The paints are outstanding. The box it came in is smaller and not as nice looking as she thought it would be. However, apparently the paints themselves are top of the line, and last a long time.

This is NOT meant as a child's toy.

Winsor & Newton Artists' Water Colour Compact Set each