Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan: Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupations
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

69%
31%

on September 23, 2008
Aaron Glantz, and Iraq Veterans Against the War, have written an extremely important historical document of the Winter Soldier hearings. Here are a few of my comments from a review I did of the book for Inter Press Service (IPS):

Aside from the Iraqi people, nobody knows what the U.S. military is doing in Iraq better than the soldiers themselves. A new book gives readers vivid and detailed accounts of the devastation the U.S. occupation has brought to Iraq, in the soldiers' own words.

"Winter Soldier Iraq and Afghanistan: Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupation," published by Haymarket Books Tuesday, is a gut-wrenching, historic chronicle of what the U.S. military has done to Iraq, as well as its own soldiers.

Four days of searing testimony, witnessed by this writer, is consolidated into the book, which makes for a difficult read. One page after another is filled with devastating stories from the soldiers about what is being done in Iraq.

Everything from the taking of "trophy" photos of the dead, to torture and slaughtering of civilians is included.

"We're trying to build a historical record of what continues to happen in this war and what the war is really about," Glantz told IPS.

Glantz admits that it would be difficult for the average U.S. citizen to read the book, and believes it is important to keep in mind while doing so what it took for the veterans to give this historic testimony.

"They could have been heroes, but what they are doing here is even more heroic -- which is telling the truth," Glantz told IPS. "They didn't have to come forward. They chose to come forward."
on June 9, 2012
The Americans have committed many war crimes in Afghanistan. They say that since the Taliban does lots of bad things, we can too. No civilized person, or army for that matter, should stoop to the level of the Taliban. I thought American soldiers were supposed to be professionals, but I guess I was wrong. This war is immoral and many of the Americans fighting it have done unspeakable things to Afghan civilians. I know because I was there for two tours. This book is highly recommended,
on November 1, 2008
In their own words, plainly and without anger or exaggeration, veterans decribe what they lived through, and how it changed them. The positive message I derive from this book is that everyday people can reaffirm their ethical orientation and human decency despite being subjected to an appalling process of dehumanization by the armed forces.

This book is essential reading.
on March 4, 2016
I'm a Veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan (and Bosnia too). These Soldiers and Marines don't speak for me and the hundreds of Soldiers I had the distinction of serving with. What many have described are war crimes (if true), and I question the veracity of their words. People recall and stretch the truth about their expereince, and eye-witnesses are horrible at recalling facts.

If true, hey are guilty for not upholding their own moral responsibilities as servicemembers and that of the people around them.

Finally, many of hte items discussed are just plain wrong and against the TTP's (tactics, techniques and procedures) we follow. One example was "running over bodies", which is an absolute lie. An enemy TTP was to booby trap said corpses and roadside items, and no Soldier worth their salt would active drive over a potential IED.

Don't slander the 3% of Americans who serve in uniform with acknowledging this extreme minority of anecdotes as representing a voice for us.

BTW, I stole Sadaam's gold, really I did.... and ALL my fellow Soldiers did the same (see, it's easy to make up a lie about your combat tour....)
on October 18, 2008
Any one interested in what is really going on in Iraq and Afghanistan should read this book. It contains authentic testimony of boots on the ground, that is, US Forces and their continuing occupation. SHOCKING EVIDENCE that torture and inconsideration for human life is now government policy, and not just an isolated incident. A must read. *****
on December 2, 2008
This is essential reading for every American. Whether you support the activity in Iraq and Afghanistan or not, you should know what the network news never tells you.
If you go to the IAVW website, you can watch the video testimonies of what is in this book.
If you say you want to show your support for the men and women serving our country, buying, reading and sharing this book is one way to do it.
on December 14, 2014
I've always thought this was a war we should have kept our noses out of. Damn we are slow....
on September 14, 2010
With all of my heart, I wish I could force every person in the world to read this book. So many people are afraid of the truth. It's more comfortable to ignore things we don't understand. I'm a yoga teacher who randomly found the IVAW.com website, where this book and many more are listed. I used this book to teach a yoga workshop. I read one of the stories to the class, and everyone cried, and everyone said thank you for a lesson of beautiful truth. Ignorance is the beginning of all suffering. If you have any interest in educating yourself on the truth of this world, you should buy this book immediately and read it.
on January 4, 2015
Definitely worth reading!
on June 23, 2011
Many of the stories are about not being able to receive VA benefits, some about sexual discrimination, a couple about racism, etc. These are all good stories but they failed to connect the dots to the war itself...Go to a local VA, I think you will hear more real stories from real vets.I'm currently serving in the U.S. Army and I didn't find this book very informational. It's an interesting book...not in terms of getting an insight on the wars...