Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on May 12, 2008
Pros:
- Visuals far exceed Wipeout Pure and frame rates are very impressive. A shining example of what can be accomplished on the PSP if you have a great development team.
- 24 tracks
- Downloadable and customizable skins

Cons:
- Later levels are punishingly difficult.
- In the fastest levels (Phantom) there are sometimes collision detection errors and as a result you collide thru the track even though you shouldn't.
- You run out of new tracks long before you run out of races so later levels are basically repeats except faster and with more laps.
- Online downloadable tracks appear to be non-existent at this point.
- No new innovations over previous Wipeout.

Overall fans would be proud to call this part of the Wipeout family. First timers will do just fine with Wipeout Pure.
PSP owners have been waiting for a new iteration WipEout since the system launched, and here it is at last.

And it's great! Faster load times than the original, the ability to use custom soundtracks (in addition to the great soundtrack in-game), and new game-modes mean the WipEout lovers will rejoice! That means... I rejoice!

An absolute must-buy for the system. First step? Hit the "add to shopping cart" button at the right of your screen!
on October 3, 2011
This game is a phenomenal, well crafted, brilliantly designed racing game for the PSP and is my favorite racing game on the PSP. I should note that I also own and have reviewed WipeOut Pure as well, and I absolutely hated it for all the reasons that Pulse improved on.

Game Play (5/5): In my opinion this game is one of the most fun racing games available on the PSP, additionally, the game is addictive and will keep you attached for hours. The game definitely has a VERY steep learning curve, is very hard to get the hang of and can definitely be ridiculously hard and exceptionally frustrating. If you have read my critique of Pure, you will know that I hated that game for an almost unending amount of reasons, all of which for me made the game unnecessarily difficult and took away the fun from the game, this game improved on all of that and made the game a real blast.

In my opinion, this game is a vast improvement over Pure for the following reasons. My first complaint in Pure is that the tracks were so narrow and hard to navigate... In this game the track is wider, easier to navigate and give you far more wiggle room to battle other ships. My second issue with pure was that of all the weapons that were available the enemy always got the missiles and stuff and you always got stuck with the shield. Not is Pulse.. In pulse the enemy is loaded to the teeth with weapons and thankfully so are you! My last complaint about Pure was the difficulty from the beginning. Pulse is a lot more accessible to gamers like myself than Pure is and starts out a lot easier. Also, Pulse adds all kind of great modes, my favorite being an elimination mode which lets you battle other crafts... AWSOMENESS! Additionally, the graphics in Pure were awesome to begin with, but they were greatly improved with explosions being better, combat being more awesome and colors being far more brighter.

Graphics (5/5): Much like Wipeout Pure, Pulse is brilliantly crafted, and has crisp, clean, flawless graphics. The ships are magnificently designed, look really cool and have every balance of armor, speed, and handling that you could possibly imagine. One of my complaints with Pure is that the track slowly rolls by you as if your ship is going 2 mph. This game vastly improved that graphic, allowing the track to wiz by and truly give the impression of a high-speed race. The worlds and tracks in this game are of such a high degree that they are awe inspiring and are as imaginative and perfectly crafted as you can possibly get.

Controls (5/5): The controls are exactly the same as Pure and are perfectly aligned to give the best use of the PSP unit. Generally the top left and right buttons are for the air brakes which I absolutely hate, thankfully both Pulse and Pure give you the option of using only a single air brake which I find much more enjoyable. While some games can have clunky, awkward controls, this is not one of those games, the controls are fluid, and easy to learn and use.

Sound (5/5): There is a pretty good sound track to this game. Truthfully between Pulse and Pure, I like Pure's sound track better, but I love that this game allows you to make you own custom soundtracks.

Extras (5/5): The game has a ton of extras. In addition to the tons of unlockable ships, tracks and modes, you can also design your own ship, design your own races, and download all kinds of goodies from the game's website which his completely accessible from the game's main menu itself.

In essence this game is a great buy. It is far better than Pure, has far more options, modes, combat and extras. This game is an improvement in every way over WipeOut Pure and you should definitely buy this game. I love this game and I think you will too.

**Note,load times take forever. This is the only thing about this game that sucks**

***Just a warning for casual gamers like myself, this game is super difficult, the game starts very hard, and get punishingly difficult as the races get faster and as you unlock new areas. This games takes time to master, but once you do master it you will love it. I love playing this gameon my subway ride, AmTrac and Bus rides, it is all around great fun***
on November 19, 2012
I downloaded a demo of this game off of the Playstation Network to try it and see if it was any good. The Demo Was great just with the one racer and track you got. Getting the full version made it even greater. The are at least 6 different types of races that you can play. Including Single Race, Zone, Time Trial, Elimination and a couple more. There are 4 different speed classes to play. Slow to Fast. I played Need For Speed games for a long time and so racing is one of my favorite game to play. Of course, Its much faster than NFS. I would recommend this game to anyone who has a PSP system because its a lot of fun and its going to take a little while to beat. I love it and hope anyone who buys this game likes it too. I hope This was helpful
on July 6, 2014
Friggin fantastic. If you're into this style of game, and own a PSP or Vita, then this is a must own. The controls are as good as they can be on PSP's lackluster thumbstick. The sense of speed is still there, and the challenge is definitely there.

I really hope we see this series return in some form.
on January 15, 2009
To be completely honest the thought of Wipeout on a handheld was a little odd for me when I first saw my buddy playing it but... (big but)I have to say that all in all they pulled it off amazingly, the controls are well balanced the graphics are well refined for the system the load times are easily compared to the original Wipeout for PC. If Psygnosis (the company that originally created Wipeout) was still around as a stand alone company this game would have made them a fortune!

As the game has been out for a while now I have to say I am somewhat dismayed at the few new tracks available for download although the option of making your own playlists for the game is "Freaking Sweet" as one of my friends put it.

Wipeout always was, is and forever will be an awesome balls to the wall racing game. If you like racing games and you have a PSP this is a MUST HAVE TITLE!!! I'm telling you now pass this up here or on the used rack of your hometown videogame store at your own risk.
on August 10, 2008
Well, most people are comparing this title to the previous edition, Wipeout Pure, and both games are the best racing titles for the PSP, plain and simple. With this version, you get the same quality found in Wipeout Pure, but with more tracks than the original, slightly more polished graphics, and an online racing mode.

The style of the game is set in the future, and is similar to F-zero, but has a much more modern design style, and has a focus on items found on the course to change up the gameplay. Think of the game as a technopunk version of Mario Kart mixed with F-zero, and you are getting the right idea.

Although other racing games may have actual cars and upgradeable parts, this game has the best controls, visuals, and overall features than any other PSP racer. A great buy for any PSP owner.
on June 7, 2011
This game is truelly fun. If your a fan of the wipeout series, then you will really enjoy this game. This takes the already great game wipeout pulse and makes it better. Theres online gameplay, expansion packs, and the ability to make custom skins for your ships. Just saying that, should make any true wipeout fan buy this game immediately!
on October 20, 2008
Wipeout Pulse takes everything that worked so well with Wipeout Pure and improves on it with better graphics. The gameplay is as addictive as ever with terrific "can't even blink" tracks to its even greater music tracks. It's a shame that PSP games don't sell as well as compared to DS games primarily due to all the piracy, this a terrific PSP game that serves much more. If you own a PSP and your into futuristic racers, get this game it's alot of fun.
on September 15, 2008
I got this game becuase it looked interesting and I'm glad I did. Not only is it a new way to race, it sorta brings back some f-zero feel for me. I started playing it to find that its takes alot of getting use to but the more I play the funner it gets. So for a interesting game I give it a 5 star for fun and play for it has a wide variety of stuff to unlock and play.