5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use and reliable.
Published on February 4, 2012 by Eric Fontaine

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay But Not for My Shimano 105 chain
Published 12 months ago by Steve Korte

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use and reliable., February 4, 2012
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
I've been using Wipperman links on my Shimano Dura Ace setup for several years now. The links make chain cleaning and maintenance a breeze. I have always been concerned about this link breaking or failing, but by far this is the highest quality and easiest to use removable link on the market. It comes apart easily with no force and just your fingers. Don't be fooled by other removable links - most require a tool or special skills or are just a pain in the neck to remove. This one is super simple.

One thing I will agree with - this link WILL rust if not kept clean and lubricated. I wouldn't dream of using a rusted link, even one that had been completely cleaned and restored. Someone suggested they took a Dremel tool with wire brush to the link to polish it up. Don't risk a crash and injury. IMO - these links should be discarded in that event or when signs of side plate wear show up. I know - it seems waste of 10-15 dollars, but it's just not worth it to me.

I'm also pretty fussy about my gear being clean and lubricated. Here's my method for getting the most life out of these links...I remove my chain and drop it in a plastic bottle half filled with odor-free mineral spirits from the hardware store and shake for a minute or two. A gallon will cost you $8-10, less if you buy the non odor-free, but I have a wife that hates the smell, so it is money well spent! Remove the chain and dry all excess solvent off. Then using a second bottle, I soak the chain in 85W-140 hypoid gear oil, available from your auto parts store for about $4 per quart. Yes, this oil is nasty and greasy but it is superior in almost every way to any $15 bottle with just a few ounces that you'll buy at your bike shop. The trick is to use a wire or coat hanger to hang the chain up after soaking it in the oil and let all the excess oil drip back into the bottle. Then use a rag to wipe off any excess. This leaves the oil inside the links but not outside on the chain to attract dirt. This oil is also great for lubricating the Wipperman link and keeping it in top shape. Do this any time your chain gets dirty and gritty and the chain (and your expensive chain rings and cassettes) will last much longer, shift better, and ride much quieter.

It is also worth noting that Wipperman has made several varieties of this link. Some are marked "10S1" and are matched with the Wipperman chain (which I don't like FWIW...). Most links are marked "10 Speed" and should work with your 10-speed setup. My experience is only with this link on Shimano Dura Ace chains, both 7800 and 7900 series. I've used this link in Ironman triathlon on 12 occasions and in dozens of shorter distance races and never had an issue.

I searched the web for any incidents of failure of this link and found very little. Most cases were where the chain and link were not routinely inspected, cleaned, and lubricated. If you are fussy about keeping your drivetrain cleaned and lubricated, removing the chain for cleaning is the best and easiest way to do it. I would advise against any removable link if you just want to have the option to take off the chain because it seems handy.

Once you put this type of link on, you should be committed to regular cleaning and inspection - look closely for any signs of wear and discard the link any time you find obvious pitting, grooving, or other wear you can feel with your fingernail. Once you master the simple process of degreasing and lubricating, the process takes only minutes and makes riding a smooth, quiet experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the bomb, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
Really, these are great. I've used them on Wipperman chains as well as Shimano and Sram. I have never had an issue in use, and have never had trouble installing or removing them when I wanted to. My only gripe is that the 10sp version sells for almost 3x the cost of the 9sp version?? Can somebody riddle me that one? They're identical except for the length of the posts which are a fraction of a MM shorter in the 10sp version.

Easiest way to remove/replace your chain. Carry a spare with you everywhere - save your own ride, or save the ride for your buddy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple item, November 24, 2011
Dr. Rob (Hershey, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
If you have a 10-speed chain, and want to remove it for servicing, you NEED this part. They make one for 9-speeds too, so make sure you know which chain you have. Ten speed chains are 5.95mm wide, and this link is 6.1mm. You simply remove one outer link from your existing chain and replace it with this one. Beware, there is an orientation with this, meaning it has to go on a certain way. It is slightly curved, and the orientation is important otherwise the wrong side of the curve (the convex instead of concave side) will run over the chainrings and sprockets and make noise. It's all VERY well explained in the instructions and on YouTube, so it's really easy to install. Make sure it fully engages and you're set. Unlike older style master links, this one will NOT open until you want it to. And when you want to open it, it's not really easy, so you'll probably need a master link removal tool ([...]). I use it and it makes chain removal SO MUCH EASIER versus using your fingers, which can take quite some time to wiggle it free.

Why do you need to remove your chain? Because to lube the jockey wheels, you need them free of the chain. Plus, if it's really dirty, the chain can be soaked in a mixture of 4 parts mineral spirits with 1 part electric motor oil (the type with NO additives), which I call my 'home brew'. This cleans it and puts lube back into the roller pins.

While it says you should use a new link for every new chain, I don't agree. If I use my chain for 1000 miles, and you use yours for 3000 miles, why wouldn't I be able to put mine onto a new chain for mile 1001-2000, and again from 2001-3000? They don't wear out quickly. I imagine they have a lifespan of about 5000 miles, as I find it increasingly difficult to get it to lock securely by about the fifth chain. But for some people, they won't feel comfortable unless they change it every time, and if you've got the money, go for it.

Wipperman makes the best master links in the world, better than KMC or the ones that come with SRAM chains, which are a joke they're so bad. They're about 5.96mm wide, which makes it nearly impossible to engage them, thus Wipperman is found on my SRAM PC1091 chain. Of course, Shimano says NOT to use Master Links at all, and gives you a special linking pin to join the chain (two come with every new chain). If you follow their instructions and do that, best of luck performing proper servicing on your bike, because you'll have to drive out pins each time and rejoin it with a new pin, which for technical reasons should not be removed. So, every time you break a Shimano chain, and you put in a new pin, pretty soon you'll have no place left to break the chain apart for servicing the drive train.

I could go on and on, but this is not meant to be a bike repair book. Have faith that this is the master link you want, and be happy Wipperman came up with this awesome product. You won't be disappointed, and if you follow the instructions, it will NEVER come apart during a ride. Never.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and reliable and reusable chain link connector, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
I'm very please with this Wipperman chain link connector. Simple and easy to use, reusable and reliable. I use mine with a SRAM chain on Shimano Ultegra drive train. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm!, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
When (not IF because it WILL happen!)you need to remove a bicycle chain there is no better method than the Wipperman Connex "Link". No tools required & reusable, unlike competitor's links. So simple you'll be cleaning the chain regularly (like you should) which makes for a quiet and longer lasting chain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and solid, July 18, 2013
Eddie (Jersey City, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
I'm using this link with a Shimano Dura Ace CN-7901 Chain. So far I've had no problems, its as solid as the other links on the chain. I've ridden on all sorts of terrain and conditions and its held up like its was originally part of the chain.

Riding weight: 220

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay But Not for My Shimano 105 chain, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
I had used these links before and when buying a replacement 10 speed chain thought they would be the best and splurged the extra money on them. When I put them on my new CN-5600 chain they went on Ok but they seemed to catch in the rear sprocket and made the chain jump. I also bought KMC missing links to have as spares in my traveling tool kit and these worked a lot better. Maybe be better on a wipperman chain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Just did not fit one of my chains..., December 27, 2012
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
I used this on my 10 speed chain, but did not fit. However I had another 10 speed chain and it fit perfectly. It seemed like this master link reduced noise on the cassette. So far, I had no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
This connector link works very easily without tools. Some "quick links" are difficult to open without a tool, but the Wipperman Connex SS is easily opened and closed using only fingers. Make sure you install it properly; there are clear instructions included. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended by others, July 6, 2012
S. Cunningham (POUGHKEEPSIE, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wippermann Connex Stainless Link - 10-Speed (Sports)
About 200 miles with no problems. Easy install and I look forward to a long life on this link. It's super trick the easy removal of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›