Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 29, 2006
Katherine Cook Briggs and daughter Isabel Briggs-Myers, shared an intense curiosity about typology and together they co-created what became the "gold standard" for personality profiling, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. In a remarkably similar fashion, Florence, with husband Fred, began research into the four temperaments, which led to her body of work on the Personalities, paving the way for daughter Marita Littauer to add her own research and insights. Together, sharing forty years of study, they are inarguably, the Myers-Briggs for a new generation.

Now Marita Littauer has written the definitive book (with insights from Florence) about the Personalities under the clever title, Wired That Way. Let me say this plainly - you won't find the Myers-Briggs 16 personality types in this book. What you will find is the latest available information on the four basic types - often attributed to Hippocrates - of Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Melancholy, and Choleric.

Ms. Littauer writes in a conversational style that pulls you through the book, as she dives straight into the heart of practical everyday application. Through the use of story and metaphor, she takes us into the familiar daily-ness of life, and along the way, we suddenly realize we can better understand the strange people at work and the - um - "quirky" behavior of certain family members, as well as those curious individuals in our Bible Study group. In other words, wherever you find people, you will find fertile ground for applying these techniques.

I don't think it will be giving anything away to say that Ms. Littauer concludes her book with a caveat: Don't let the preferences of your personality be an excuse for poor performance or behavior. Rather, focus on using your strengths to overcome your weaknesses. Understand that it's your differences that make you a unique child of God. She notes that throughout the Gospels of the New Testament, the personality of Jesus Christ "contained the strength of all four personalities and the weaknesses of none." Marita's powerful, heartfelt call to action is "to live in your strengths - to be more like Christ."

Buy one book for yourself and send another to a friend - you know - that person who really needs to read it.
22 comments24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2006
I am excited about Wired That Way! It's full of fresh stories and examples that help illustrate the principles. Having all of the information about the different aspects of The Personalities in one place is going to be an awesome tool!
on June 6, 2006
Marita's new book 'Wired That Way' combines in one place the resources anyone needs to build better relationships and understand oneself. With my business name as 'Word Wardrobe,' I ask the question in my speaking and writing, 'What kind of words do you wear?' Wired That Way provides myriad examples relating how we often hurt people's feelings who have different personalities than our own. Because my emphasis is on words and the response those words bring, I'm excited to share in my Personality Trainings one comprehensive book which meets the needs of everyone. After reading this book, no one will be able to blunder through life slaying people with their words.

Glenda Schoonmaker, Writer, Speaker, Trainer
on April 15, 2014
We read this book for a small group with our church. Overall, I would have to say that the profile is okay (but lacking), and the personality descriptions seem okay to start, but eventually the whole book just falls apart when it comes to the author's view on Melancholies and Phlegmatics. Seeing that the author and her mother are both Sanguine/Cholerics, most of the book felt like Melancholy and Phlegmatic bashing by a couple of women who have a skewed idea of those two personality types.

Melancholies (who in their own profile they describe as considerate, faithful, thoughtful, and loyal) are portrayed as perfectionists, perfectionists, perfectionists. Almost never throughout the entire book do they focus on the positive attributes of the Melancholy personality type (i.e. the nurturing, compassionate ones). Phlegmatics they portray as lazy, dumb and slow, never mind that they are calm, patient, friendly, contented listeners (and don't freak out under stress!). The book seems to rag on this personality type the most.

As I said, overall, this book was okay. Mostly more toward the beginning but then we were left wondering, what happened? It seems like they really try to touch on all aspects of life, and for that they did a good job, however, our entire group came away from the reading feeling that these women are very biased in their opinions and don't seem to have any real idea of what wonderful people Melancholies and Phlegmatics really are. We prefer the Myers Briggs typing, which we found after reading this book, that is SO much more accurate and non-biased to any certain personality type. Not to mention, that Wire That Way tries to stuff everyone into four neat and tidy little boxes, which is just SOO unrealistic and lacking in judgement, insight and common sense. People are far more complex than this book gives the varying personalities the credit for. That's why we prefer Myers Briggs. 4 personality types? Try 16!

I also feel like they did a poor job in differentiating between Melancholies and Sanguines, as they do have one chapter on these two and it is a good chapter, however, they fail to go further into the different ways one would react to a different situation than the other would, and believe me, that information is very important. We know several people who are masking and we really feel like if the authors would have went more in depth throughout the entire book about these two personality types and how they differ but are similar, rather than having focused so much on the Melancholy perfection, perfection, perfection, then our friends may not still be so confused about their true personality types. I just think it's sad that they came away from reading this book more confused than coming into it.

Thanks for listening! :~)

Proud ENFP married to an INFP, for reference, I scored high Sanguine in Wired That Way's profile (I believe I am secondary Supine) and my husband is primary Supine, secondary Melancholy.
22 comments6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2006
As a professional speaker who spends her days empowering others with the skills they need to build better relationships through improved communications, I'm just thrilled that Marita has updated her personality materials into one compelling resource. I've been recommending her books for years, and now "Wired that Way" is sure to become the primary foundational resource I will strongly recommend to everyone who is serious about communicating effectively with others!"

Christy Largent

Motivational Speaker, Trainer, Humorist and Member of NSA
on May 31, 2006
Wired That Way will enrich your life as you allow yourself and others to be the persons you were created to be. One personality is not better than another; each has strengths and weaknesses. I love what Marita Littauer says in Chapter Three: "Take some time to get to know the basics of your Personality. Look at your strengths and build them up, and then work to whittle away your weaknesses." There's work to be done, and this book can help us do it.

Anita Lee

Writer, Speaker, Personality Trainer
on March 6, 2008
This book has it all! It is an easy read with practical information that can be easily applied to your life. It will help you understand and know how to improve every relationship in your life. It will even help you understand yourself and how you can be a better person. The principles in this book have changed my life for the better, and they can do the same for you.
on December 6, 2013
I have used Littauer's and LaHaye's temperment materials for more than a decade in small groups, families, Christian ministry, and nonprofit management environments. This is the single best book on the subject right now - it is updated, very comprehensive, and well written. I especially appreciated the new chapters on marriage, parenting, and communication styles. They were very practical and helpful. There is test in the back of the book, but I usually have my groups take one of the tests online because it is easier and gives types by percentage.
on January 3, 2012
Wired that Way goes beyond explaining the 4 basic personality types and digs into what is behaviors to avoid in your own personlity quadrant. It also encourages the reader to develope skills in other quadrants. This is a better approach to understanding others and appreciating their gifts in a business or family setting. This is not taught by the classes I've attended.
on May 30, 2014
Since we spend so much of our time relating to family, friends and colleagues it would be great to have a way to have much deeper and healthier relationships with them. Understanding how you are wired and how the people around you are wired helps you to get beyond the "issue" and see them beneath. Very practical and a guide I refer to as I parent my children.