Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on November 22, 2013
We all know that the xbox 360's controller was very close to a perfect controller and it was universally liked and it was hard to improve on top of it but Microsoft still did it. They managed to create an even better version of their controller and this is my experience so far.

Good:
Trigger improvements: Microsoft included what they called `Impulse triggers" under the triggers for a very unique result while playing games such as Forza 5
Better D-Pad: The main complaint with the past controller was the squishy D-Pad it had which was not very precise and hard to press. All those bad things are gone with the new buttons.
Analog sticks accuracy has improved considerably and their grippy texture feels amazing. You'll notice the difference especially if you have sweaty hands
Battery life is impressive. I've yet to deplete the duracell included AA batteries after a more than 6-7 hours, which is the time it took my PS4 controller to die. The space to put the batteries in the back is not as prominent as the 360's controller reducing the bulkiness appearance. Even after your batteries die, you will be able to use the controller with a wired connection using the micro USB port.
According to what I read, the Xbox uses the Kinect to know when you've put the controller down, to watch TV for example, and puts it in a state which consumes less power than usual.

So-So:
Analog sticks are smaller and you might like that and you might not depending on your hand size I guess. For me, I wouldn't mind them being a little bit bigger, but it's not really a bad thing, just wanted to mention it

Bad:
The bumpers have changed and I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker with this controller but if I had to say something bad about it, it's this. They are more difficult to press/click than the 360's version so depending on the game you're playing, if it has heavy use of the bumpers you might need some extra time to get used to them.
It doesn't come with a rechargeable battery out of the box so you need to buy it separately (like in this item you're reading) but as I mentioned before you won't need to do this very often.
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 22, 2013
I am verrry glad Microsoft didn't change the successful controller formula they came up with many years ago. This is a fantastic controller. It feels like a tiny bit of a better fit in my hands than the 360 controller, and I like the new ridges on the thumbsticks.

There were only two things I ever really thought they needed to change from the 360 controller, and they did both: Fix the crappy D-pad (it is much better now), and move the guide/dashboard button. I like how it is higher up on the controller now so you won't ever accidentally hit it when going for the start/back buttons.

Speaking of which, I guess that's my only very minor complaint. They should have stuck with "Start" and "Back" as the names for those two center buttons. It sounds a lot less cool to read "Press the menu button to begin" on the Killer Instinct main screen, rather than the classic "Press Start". But, not a big deal.

The rechargeable batteries seem a little smaller than the Xbox 360 ones, but worked great all through my Xbox One's launch night. The only very minor downside is it takes a few seconds longer to swap these batteries out than it did to swap out an Xbox 360 battery, but I like the tradeoff of having the Xbox One controller be slimmer and sleeker since there isn't a big battery jutting out the back.

The charging cable is sufficiently long to play from my couch (8 feet away from my TV). Took an hour or so for the initial charging to finish from whatever capacity percentage these come from the factory. Don't bother with the third-party junk batteries. While the cable is just a basic micro USB and interchangeable, off-brand rechargeable batteries are rarely worth bothering with for the small difference in price.

FYI: While amazon is sold out of these bundles at the moment, I saw stacks of them at my local Best Buy and Walmarts, so you may want to check there. It is definitely worth getting this bundle since it's $10 cheaper than buying both items separately.
44 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2014
MS has taken the time to research what makes a good controller. They've make lots of little adjustments to make this the best gamepad I've ever had.

What's good:
-PC Drivers (I don't own an Xbox One, I game via Steam).
-The joysticks have been grooved, and their height has been adjusted slightly to make easier to control.
-The d-pad is responsive and concise (you know for sure which direction you are pressing.)
-Reminds me of the Gamecube controller (my previous favorite).
-All the buttons have a nice mechanical click to them, this physical feedback is so important.
-The overall shape and size of the controller just feels nice when gripped, great for long gaming sessions.

Not so good:
-No wireless receiver for PC yet, so if you are a Steam gamer like me, it means tethering yourself.

When a wireless receiver for PC comes out I will give this controller 5 stars.

UPDATE: After using this controller for 6+ weeks I am still happy, the controls remain crisp and responsive. So far it has worked with all the controller enabled PC games I've tried. It seems to be that if the game supports the xbox 360 controller, it supports the xbox one controller also.

UPDATE: I recently got a Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to go with this gamepad, I was pleasantly surprised that it works with Windows 10! It's awesome, I'm glad MS spent the time to make the accessory PC compatible.
on November 25, 2013
An improvement over the Xbox 360 controller in every way. Very comfortable to hold in the hands. The bumpers take some getting used to but I wouldn't go as far to say they are bad. I will warn you though, the ribbed texture on the analog stick although nice can cause some pain. I did a 4 hour Killer Instinct marathon and the texture worse some layers of skin off my thumb leaving it sore. Most games are not as demanding as Killer Instinct though, but you are warned.
on June 23, 2015
I bought this as a second controller for my Xbox One. The controller that came with my Xbox One purchase has been fitted with a Play and Charge kit so I wanted another controller with that set up.

Pros
1. Charging solution + controller in one package. Don't have to worry about buying both separately and it costs roughly the same either way.
2. The Xbox One controller is a fantastic controller. Comfy to hold, easy to use..
3. Connecting to the Xbox One was easy (instructions included)
4. Charing cable works and plugs into any USB port. This could theoretically be used on computers as well as the Xbox One.
5. Officially licensed by Microsoft. That's always a pro when it comes to gaming accessories. Officially licensed by any company (sony, nintendo, etc) generally has higher quality than third party. Not always, but most of the time.
6. The cable is very long. Sufficient for most set ups.

Cons
1. There really isn't much of a price break for buying the whole pacakage as opposed to separately. I think it's like $5 less (at least what I paid). As I understand from having this in my wishlist for 3 months, the product goes in and out of stock all the time so I guess that probably affects pricing.
2. The micro-USB port on top of the controller has always felt a little wobbly and flimsy to me. I've had my Xbox One for 6 months and my original controller hasn't broken and doesn't seem like it's going to, but it's a long-term concern of mine. Not much I can do about it.

Overall, this is the controller package you want. Wireless, charging enabled, and officially licensed. About the only other charging solution I'd recommend is the Nyko charging dock. Between this and that, there aren't any other really good options for rechargeable batteries for Xbox One controllers (at the time of this review)
on July 11, 2015
Works great, lasts a lot longer than basic rechargeable AA batteries. I'm a heavy gamer and I can get about 3 days out of it before it needs a recharge. New controller feels great also. The price @ the time of purchase is what caught my eye, got it for about $15 cheaper than I would have if I were to buy a new controller and the play and charge separately. Definitely worth it.
on May 27, 2015
I used to play with rechargeable batteries. But this kit is so much better. The cord has an led on the tip that changes from Orange to white when charging is completed. Really nice quality cable.

I have found that you have to charge your battery before it dies if you are playing. If you play till it dies, then plug the cable in. The controller is no longer responsive. It'll charge, the buttons just won't work. You'll have to power off your xbone completely to have full functionality again.
This could also just be my controller. But just a heads up
on July 23, 2015
This is a no-brainer of a purchase when buying an XBOX one. I think of it as an investment...not only do you really NEED a second controller for multiplayer action, but you will save money in the long run not buying batteries.
The controller is greatly upgraded from XBOX360, and it feels, looks and performs perfectly.
Get this along with your XBOX one purchase, you'll be glad you did.
on October 6, 2015
First I am using this controller on my PC. It will be nice once Microsoft releases the wireless card until then I am using it wired.
The review will not talk about its battery life since I don't know what that would be, since I can only use it wired at this time.
This will be sort of a comparative review vs the Xbox 360 controller.
This controller is much more comfortable in the hand. The spacing feels better and easier to hold. The hand position also feels more natural and comfortable. The biggest difference for me is the weight. This is so much lighter than the original 360 controller.
The thumb sticks and D-pad feel more responsive now. The triggers also feel a lot more sensitive. The L&R buttons on the front are a bit harder to hit now but not overly so. The thumb sticks use the same sort of grooving as the last gen of 360 controllers. It makes the thumb feel more secure when aiming/ and guiding your on screen character.
The cable plug feels very secure in the controller. It doesn't just fall out or come out easily. Its also not hard to pull out. Just nice and secure.
If you need a new controller for the PC I would recommend this one.
on December 2, 2015
I needed another controller fro my xbox one but I didn't want to pay the inflated msrp prices at best buy and also didn't want to wait for Black Friday. I found this on Amazon.com for a great price and it works great. The advantage of this controller over the corded ones is becoming more and more evident as TV's get bigger and bigger. Basically if you are tethered to the console you are too close to the tv because the cords don't extend very far. With the cordless option, you can sit back easily 20 feet away from the console and enjoy the gaming experience on a large tv. Additionally the Microsoft product is far superior to any of the offbrands and typically more expensive as well. If you can find this cheaper online, I recommend jumping on it as these don't go down in price except on black Friday or cyber Monday. The xbox one typically comes with only one controller, but the best experience is when you have multiple parties playing, so having at least two or up to four makes it more fun for everyone. I highly recommend.