Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Bundle|Change

on October 27, 2010
I'm a Harmonix veteran. I played Guitar Hero 1 back on the PS2 at a friend's house ALL the time. Then Guitar Hero 2 came out of the Xbox 360. I instantly grabbed it and I played all day (and sometimes all night). I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of it. Then Rock Band/Rock Band 2 blew me away.

I'm a musician/artist at heart as well as an avid video gamer. The combination here is perfect. Rock Band was excellent, Rock Band 2 improved it, and Rock Band 3 perfects it.

I grabbed The Doors pack instantly on Day 1 of RB3 purchase and I've been practicing the hell out of the keys. It's a real piano, guys. The game is really re-teaching me how to play piano. It has training, "learn an instrument" for the Pro Drums/Keys/Guitar, and of course on Expert Pro Keyboard you are literally playing the legit piano music for the song. You can then take it to a real piano and play it (and impress all those women with Bohemian Rhapsody by playing it and not just singing along haha!).

Rock Band 3 is the only music game you will ever need (until Harmonix releases a new revolutionary product, which they will). Trust me.

And shut the hell up about "buy a real instrument". This game inspires that in some people, and for other people they just want to have some fun. That's okay. That argument has a flaw: Madden fans? Go buy a real football. Tiger Woods fans? Go buy real wome-err golf set. Gears of War fans? Go buy a real chainsaw.

See what I did there?

Anyway, if you're thinking about buying this, then go ahead and do it. You won't be disappointed (except wait on the Pro Guitar, I hear the current 100+ button one isn't worth the money yet. There's a full stringed, touch sensored neck, real guitar/controller hybrid coming out).
77 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2010
As someone who has had over 10 years of classical piano training I've always had a strong interest in playing music. I taught myself guitar, bass, drums and while I'm not a virtuoso at these other instruments I enjoy playing and practicing them alone and with others.

Along with actually playing real instruments I've been a hardcore rhythm gamer and fan of Harmonix's past titles including GH1, GH2, RB1, RB2, and now RB3. I've invested a lot of money into the Rock band platform over the years but over the last 12 months or so I began to lose interest. Playing along to songs using 5 colored buttons had lost its appeal on me somehow.

Before last week I hadn't played a Rock Band game for more than 6 months. ... and yet prior to getting burnt out I played the game at least 3 times a week. I'm really excited by the direction Harmonix has taken with Rock Band 3 for multiple reasons.

For one, the time spent learning these songs on "plastic instruments" now translates perfectly to real instruments. As of right now I only own the keyboard peripheral but spending time in practice mode isn't just a way of getting a higher score in the game anymore; it's a way of learning the actual piano/keyboard part for the song. It's a complete reinvention of what a music game is capable of and for that alone Rock Band 3 deserves 5 stars and my highest recommendation to any rhythm gamer who wants to become even more involved with the music they are "playing" in the game.

The setlist might seem strange to longtime fans of the genre but I guarantee that every one of the on-disc songs has at least one part that is a joy to play. Whether it's the bass line to "Antibodies" or the guitar part to "Oh My God" Harmonix made sure to pick songs that had parts that are actually FUN to play. It's easily the most fun I've had playing any set list in the Rock Band series.

In short: Rock Band 3 is an epic achievement in game design and should be played by anyone who has ever enjoyed a Harmonix title.
on January 4, 2012
Not much to say about Rock Band 3 itself (there's hundreds of other reviews) or the keyboard, but I thought I'd throw in some useful information. When I received this item, I got the normal keyboard box, but on the back side it states rather clearly that the game is -not- included. After inquiry, the seller informed me that the game IS packaged inside the box, so if you are frustrated that the game is missing from the bundle, look inside (if you suspect that it won't be in there, carefully remove the adhesive surfaces so you can reattach them if it is actually missing). A rather poor way of shipping the bundle, but in the long run it's a very much minor issue altogether.
on October 28, 2010
So many more features than Rock Band 2. So much more user friendly. Better visuals. All songs are unlocked when you pop it in the tray, but instead you unlock new venues and outfits, so you still have unlockables.

This game is perfect.

You can now hop in/out with your friends mid-song, you can change you difficulty in the middle of the song. If I want to switch instruments I just grab the new instrument, press start, and take over the profile. What more could you ask for?

The keyboard is great. It's only 2 octaves but feels like a real keyboard... and it's a lot harder than I was expecting. Pro drums is so much fun, I can concentrate on playing my part instead of trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to hit a tom or a cymbal. They also swap the hi-hat/snare pads on songs that require it (think about the mess that was everlong on ghwt; in RB3, I just move your yellow cymbal a little more to the left and fire it up).

There's really not much else more to say, just look at all the 5 star reviews or the high score on metacritic.
on January 21, 2015
I love playing Rockband and this was a pleasant addition to our little band. I am usually the singer, but wanted to play an instrument as well. Hubby is the Drums, so I don't even try. I have always been told I have great hands for playing the Piano, so I thought I would try the Keyboard. I love it and the fact that it's wireless is even better!! I personally do all the tutorials in order to learn to play and they were great and easy to follow. I just think it's cool that we have all the instruments now and our band is complete.
on June 16, 2014
I can't stop playing RockBand. I recently purchased a real set of drums and used a midi adapter to interface with RB3. Wow! The experience has been unreal, my drum teacher is blown away at how quickly I have picked up new techniques and beats. RB3 is a great tool for learning drums or keyboard. If you want to learn to play guitar, buy Rock Smith and use a real guitar. But if you want to play keyboard and drums RB3 is as real as they get. Works just like professional drum training software! I didn't even want the keyboard originally, but it was only a couple bucks more for the game and the keyboard! Works great, no regrets here.
on August 4, 2013
My Rock Band 3 game works perfectly, I haven't had any issues. However, occasionally I go to play the keyboard and the keys won't work. Any 360 button will work (arrow keys, ABXY, etc), but the keyboard keys themselves won't. I looked it up and apparently this is a common thing for Mad Catz keyboards, and the solution is to shut it off and turn it on again. Not the best!
on January 15, 2013
The quality of this keyboard is really good. The keys are heavy, and it seems to play like a 'real' keyboard. I have no complaints at all about this piece of hardware.

I am also enjoying RB3 using the keyboard. Here are a few caveats that people who are debating on whether to buy it should know in regards to keyboard PRO mode:

First, reading the notes/chords on the scrolling RB screen is FAR more difficult than actually reading music (at least to me). I've played the piano since I was about 13, but I have trouble with the RB interface. It can sometimes be difficult to see what notes are linked together for the chords, especially for a faster song. Unlike with the guitar, I almost always have to go into practice mode and slow it down first before actually playing it with the band, as sight reading via the scroll is difficult. I then kind of translate the notes in my head into real music in order to "see" them better.

Second, you are only doing pro keyboard for your right hand. With the keyboard being limited to two octaves, this makes sense. It's just something that isn't fully explained prior to purchase.

Third, the songs for keyboard out of the box are somewhat limited. You really need to go the store and download additional stuff to get a good variety of songs that feature the keyboard/piano.

As for RB3 overall, we are enjoying it. Career mode seems a bit less structured than before, and we like that we can create our own set lists for some of the road gigs as well as just play whatever we want and still get credit for the career. I find the character models are pretty hideous though. It was difficult to make one that didn't look like a freak of nature.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase, and the keyboard adds a whole new dimension to the game. Looking forward to trying out PRO Guitar mode in the future.
on July 31, 2013
I've been looking for this game for awhile, it seems they have discontinued the 'instruments'.
If you are looking to get this game with the keyboard, you should probably get it now.
RB3 is the same as the other versions, with the addition of new songs. All of the previously purchased songs are automatically imported into the game, except those from RB: Beatles.
The keyboard adds a new twist and is great fun. Would definitely recommend this game if you are remotely interested in RockBand still. :)
on February 7, 2013
Makes for Great Midi Controller! But since they aren't making these any more, any Rock Band junkie should get extras! Like me :)
Zero Problems. And connects right to my REAL midi equipment w/o hitch.