5,166 Reviews
 (2,607)
 (1,215)

8,252 of 8,387 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Different and Better
I have owned both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2, so I'm already committed to the basic idea: e-ink reading in a slim form factor with excellent connectivity to a large selection of books and subscriptions. I have come to rely on my Kindle experience, and it has seriously enhanced my reading.

The DX was not an obvious upgrade for me, but two features put me over the...
Published on June 11, 2009 by Alexander Scherr

8,947 of 9,203 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars DX not quite all that--but has been improved a bit
This review was written back when the DX first came out and--as has been brought to my attention--needs to be updated a bit. I will indicate where things have changed for the better within the body of the review:

I owned the K1 and then the K2 and love them both, so I was really looking forward to the DX. My plan was to use the DX at home, and keep my K2 for...
Published on June 13, 2009 by Susan Lynn Umpleby

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this Kindle REVISED, August 19, 2009
UPDATE: I GOT THROUGH TO ANOTHER TECH PERSON WHO REVERSED THE FIRST DECISION AND HAS REPLACED MY KINDLE--GRACIOUSLY AND WITHOUT BLAMING ME. I AM STILL A LITTLE CONCERNED THAT THE SIZE IS THE CULPRIT. THIS SCREEN MAY JUST BE TOO BIG. BUY THE ADDITIONAL COVERAGE IF YOU GET ONE.

I have to say, I loved this Kindle with all my heart. I had gotten back to reading constantly. I couldn't get enough of it. But one day it suddenly was broken and tech said it was my fault and would replace it for a mere $350. He said I had to have dropped it or put something heavy on it. The thing is, I treated it as if it were my child. I had never dropped it, never placed anything on top of it. when not in use, it sat in a place of honor on my coffee table. I suspect this screen might be a little too big-- I have seen other reviews like mine and I think the glass inside this thing is too fragile.

It is incredibly short-sighted of Amazon to treat the early adopters of this technology in this way. Do they realize how much content we were buying? It is unbelievable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this with a leather case!, July 13, 2009
Do not buy this kindle and their "accompanying" leather case! They encourage you to buy the leather cover for this (made by amazon specifically for this kindle)and do not tell you it will CRACK your Kindle. I paid $489 for a kindle that is now completely cracked. When I called customer service they claimed it was "user error" on how I was opening and closing the case. It is like a book, not hard to open. It is clearly not designed properly and they include no instructions or warnings with the cover saying this might happen. Unfortunately I was not one of the "lucky" ones who got theirs replaced like a few others have noted, apparently they are not doing this anymore which is unacceptable for a $489 piece of equipment to crack. Very disappointing....

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed implementation mars a nice reader, June 17, 2009
I am generally happy with my Kindle DX, but I also believe they rushed the product to market before it was really ready. The large screen and ability to read PDFs are absolutely wonderful. In this regard it is definately better than its predecessors, and if I could only buy one device it would be the Kindle DX -- especially when you consider access to all the content (and price of content) provided by the Kindle Store.

However, I only gave the Kindle DX 3 stars because it also has some major flaws for which Amazon really has no excuse, and most of these flaws are software related. Amazon either rushed the reader out the door to preempt other manufacturers, or they are purposely crippling the PDF support so that it doesn't cut into their own proprietary formats.

Issues that I hope Amazon will recitify with a software/firmware upgrade include the following:

1. PDF support is not fully integrated/implemented
The Kindle DX finally adds PDF support and this is wonderful. Unfortunately the PDF support is not fully integrated into the Kindle DX. You can't search for text, annotate, add notes, use the dictionary, consistantly go to specific PDF page numbers (works flaky), or use hyperlinks (such as a TOC) within the PDF. This greatly reduces the usefulness of viewing PDFs on the Kindle. The metadata for PDFs is also not supported very well, so that titles and authors are not displaying properly. Students that need to use an ereader for PDF based documents may find that these issues make the Kindle DX unusable for this task.

It is also my understanding that Amazon has licensed the Adobe Reader Mobile 9 SDK. This standard supports Adobe Content Server 4, which allows PDFs with DRM to be viewed, but this was not implemented by Amazon. The ePub standard within the Adobe Reader Mobile technology is also not implemented, nor is the reflowable PDF standard implemented. Full PDF support would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, other devices support a ZOOM feature that allows you to zoom in on a PDF. The landscape view of the Kindle DX is rather nice, but having full zoom capabilities like other devices would be outstanding. This is especially desired for images like maps or that otherwise contain fine detail.

2. Folders and/or Tags and/or Readlists are still not implemented
This has been a problem since the release of the Kindle 1. Once a Kindle user has acquired a couple hundred books he quickly learns that the Kindle does an awful job of managing those books. The Kindle only allows sorting by a small number of fields -- Author, Title, and Most Recent -- and navigating to a book you would like to read is done by paging through these sorted lists. Kindle users have been begging for a better system. Please listen to us!!!

There are several options available. A folder system that is managed through the USB cable that works like every the folder systems on a PC or any other computer than people have become familiar with over last couple decades. This type of system is simple to manage as dragging and dropping files is very easy. The user should then have the option of displaying a single directory or multiple directories by selecting a parent directory.

Another option is Tags. This system would allow users to add and remove tags to their files. For example, they could add the tag "mystery" to items that fall into the mystery genre, and add "read" to items they have already read. Then they could list items that contain the tags "read" and "mystery" and only items matching those tags would be displayed.

Another option is a Readlist, which would be similar to a Playlist for an iPod or iPhone. The user can create their own lists and add books to those lists. Then they could select a Readlist and the Kindle would only display books that are part of the selected list.

The best of all possible worlds would incorporate all three of the above suggestions. Furthermore, it is even more important to support some type of file management now that the Kindle supports PDFs. Imagine a physician's office that wanted to store and view patient charts on a Kindle, but was prevented from doing so because of a lack of file management/navigation.

3. No way to turn off sleep mode
I really like the "screensaver" images that are displayed when the Kindle goes into sleep mode, but sometimes this is not desirable. For example, if you are using the Kindle to display a textbook you may have it on a page that contains problems you must solve, and if it takes you longer than 10 minutes the Kindle goes into sleep mode. It would be rather annoying to have to wake it up to do each problem.

Other examples include using the Kindle for presentations, cookbooks, art books, sheets of music, and any other situation where having a page displayed for more than 10 minutes is required. Either having the ability to turn off "screensavers" or having the ability to set the interval before the Kindle goes into sleep mode, including an interval of zero (i.e. never), would be desirable.

4. Can't display our own pictures/screensaver images
The Kindle 1 allowed users to display their own pictures when the Kindle went into sleep mode. This was a really nice feature that allowed people to display pictures of family members or pictures of their own interests. It would be nice to allow users to perform this function once again. I can't think of why Amazon would want to prevent people from doing this.

5. No ePub support
The ePub standard is far and away superior to Amazon's mobi file format. It is based on the same XML and CSS standards that drive the Internet. This allows far more control over layouts and better designed books than are currently possible on the Kindle. For example, many printed books currently use dropcaps or have text flow around an image (like the illustrations in Alice in Wonderland) but these tasks are not possible on the Kindle because of limitations in the AZW (or mobi) file format used by Amazon. Furthermore, the ePub standard is not only superior, but it is also an open standard that isn't tied in to any manufacturer. Supporting ePub is higher on many people's list than even supporting PDF.

There are two non-software related items that I'd also like to mention --

1. Please add the buttons back on the left side of the page
Yes, you can orient the page with the keyboard on the top, but this solution isn't perfect. I read in bed quite often, and this necessitates turning the auto rotation off. Then I switch hands every few pages or so as my hand gets tired. This makes reading while lying down very difficult. Even reading while sitting, with auto rotation enabled, is not entirely enjoyable as I have to flip the Kindle around and wait for it to reorient itself every time I switch hands. This may not sound like a big deal, but its really annoying and buttons on the left would definitely be worth the extra expense. Furthermore, I'm not left handed, but if I was I don't think I'd be happy either.

2. Add an SD Card
The Kindle DX (and Kindle 2) doesn't support an SD Card. The Kindle DX comes with 4 Gig and 3.3 Gig is available to the user, and this may sound like a huge amount of storage but it really isn't. I loaded the Gadshill Edition of Charles Dickens work onto my Kindle DX and half my storage space was gone. This edition of Dickens' work contains all of the original illustrations and is quite nice but these PDFs take up 1.5 Gig of space. If I added a few more PDF works of classic literature than contain illustrations then I'd completely fill the available space. The same applies to files such as audio books or if I wanted to use my Kindle to store my music. One of the benefits of the Kindle is having the ability to hold an entire library in your hand. Not supporting SD Cards is a huge limitation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Device cracks easily if you put in the cover provided by Amzon, June 29, 2009
J. Lamba (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I got the Kindle today, put it in the cover also provided by Amazon, maybe opened it the wrong way and the device cracked. And Amazon tells me that it is damaged due to misuse and will not take it back.

Sorry guys, this may be a good device but, the customer service is very very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only OK for academic researchers w/ lots of PDFs., June 12, 2009
N. Schweitzer (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Amazon has touted the DX as its entry into the academic market (primarily for textbooks). This review is geared toward academics and other researchers who are considering purchasing a Kindle DX for professional use.

I am a professor who was hoping to use the kindle DX to store, organize, and display the hundreds of pdfs that I have containing research articles, books, book chapters, and scanned notes. I was hoping the DX was an opportunity to ditch most of my paper. However, it has a few shortcomings that will prevent me from being truly paperless:

1) The Kindle lacks the ability to organize content: Every document on the kindle is displayed in a single giant list. I've moved about 100 pdf documents over to the kindle, and I have another hundred to go. The document list is already cluttered, and, as a result, it is difficult to find the documents I need. [PLEASE Amazon, at least send a firmware update that will allow the DX to recognize and use file folders. That way, I can put related articles together in a folder and keep things nice and organized.]

2) The Kindle system is not conducive to reference works: Want to quickly skim around to part of an article or book? You can't. You can use the menu system to jump to a certain page, but the page numbers refer to the pages of the pdf, not the document pages, so it is difficult to know what page number to jump to. As a result, finding that certain graph or picture or table buried within a book or long article is difficult. Ideally, the kindle would have a method of skipping several pages at a time, or displaying thumbnails (6 pages on screen) so that a reader could skip to the desired page with greater ease.

3) It takes some prep to ensure your pdfs are fully usable with the kindle: If you have adobe acrobat (the full version), save yourself some headaches and prepare each pdf by a) using the OCR function so that text is identified, b) making sure pages are all in the correct orientation or kindle's default rotation setting will prevent you from turning the page sideways to view a landscape table or graph (but you can turn off auto-rotation in the menu) and c) trimming excess margins by cropping the document.

This fall, I'm scanning in my lecture notes and will attempt to use the kindle when I teach. It will be an interesting experiment.

Overall, the Kindle DX is definitely better suited to readers with a limited selection of pre-formatted books that have been optimized for the kindle (i.e. the books amazon sells). If you are someone like me, looking to use the kindle as a way to carry around your entire academic library, be forewarned--it works, just not all that well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory response from Amazon customer service, October 31, 2009
Although I was very happy with my Kindle DX when I received it, unfortunately the screen is now damaged due to a misguided attempt to protect it. Through Amazon's site I purchased an LCD screen protector made for the Kindle DX. The rest of the story & Amazon's response is in the following emails:

Dear Vangoddy Customer Service:
I was advised by Amazon's customer service to email you regarding the damage to my new Kindle DX while applying your LCD Screen Protector. Let me preface this by saying that I have applied screen protectors to IPods before so I am familiar with the proper way to use this product and even used latex gloves to handle the protector. I followed the instructions carefully and slowly began to apply the protector to the Kindle screen but noticed that it was not perfectly aligned so as the instructions state I began to "lift the screen protector and reapply". Immediately upon doing this I noticed that several large bubbles (1/4"-1/2" in diameter) had formed on the LCD screen itself.
To prevent any further damage to the unit I slowly removed the screen protector the rest of the way but more small bubbles had formed. After removing the protector I used the cloth provided with the product and managed to work some of the large bubbles out of the LCD screen, however the damage has been done.
I ordered my Kindle DX on Sept 24, 2009 so as you can see I have owned it for only one month and the screen has been ironically ruined in my effort to protect it from damage. To say that I am profoundly disappointed in putting it mildly. Amazon customer service stated that in order to fix the screen they will charge me a $255.00 repair fee, which I cannot justify for an item that is practically new and which cost $490.00 in the first place.
I have attached 3 pictures of the screen damage. In them you will see darker spots that look like water droplets. Those are the bubbles left in the LCD screen and after several attempts to push them out they appear to be permanent.

The following email is the response from Amazon:
Please be informed that Based on your description of the issue, we can only send you another Kindle DX for $255.00 as the damage isn't covered under warranty.
The limited warranty applies only to hardware components of the Device that are not subject to accident, misuse, neglect, fire or other external causes, unauthorized use, alterations or repair, or commercial use.
Taking your concern as a feedback, I have forwarded your comments to our Kindle team. Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question.

Well, I am still very disappointed in the response from Amazon & I warn everyone who reads this to never apply a screen protector to your Kindle. I am surprised that Amazon does not warn it's customers that the screen is not like a laptop or ipod screen & that the screen layers could separate. And although I understand that the warranty cannot cover everything, I think Amazon needs to offer more repair options to it's customers, particularly when the unit has been out of the box for only 3 weeks! I think it is unreasonable for Amazon to charge me another $255.00 for damage that is both minimal & cosmetic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big problems with PDF compatibility, October 6, 2009
AK "AK" (Homer, AK USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased an expensive Kindle DX, primarily to use with PDF documents. Soon after loading a dozen PDF documents I found that the device lost them or removed them and most of my subscriptions were also lost or moved. Amazon spent two weeks trying to figure out what was going on and finally told me there were software problems and it appeared that I shouldn't have any spaces in a PDF name or certain strings of numbers in PDF names. They wouldn't tell me if they were going to try and correct the software problems. They wouldn't exchange the unit. Ultimately they only allowed me a 80% refund even though the unit was less than 90 days old and barely used and the problems were clearly Kindle software related. My experiences with Kindle customer service were also abysmal; they repeatedly said they would call me back within 24 or 48 hours and usually did not.
If you are looking for a device that will allow you to view PDF documents, this is not it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A week with the Kindle DX, June 19, 2009
Okay, not yet a complete week. It's only been five days.

Monday got off to a bang. My first experiments were very promising. I put several PDF files on the Kindle DX to see if they would be readable. To my delight, the programmers were smart enough to use the media bounding box and not the page size to determine what to draw on screen. The page margins are redundant on the Kindle. The device's plastic border serves as a margin. Let's see what this puppy can do. I throw some LaTeX generated pdfs on it. The older of these files use Postscript Type 3 embedded fonts. They use bit mapped fonts set designed for a specific device resolution--a 600 dpi printer. The Kindle scales everything beautifully. Nice.

I put some papers from SIGGRAPH meetings on my Kindle. These pdfs contain a lot of color graphics. It's the Special Interest Group Graphics of the ACM after all. I don't expect much, but let's stress the system. Even with only 16 grey levels, Kindle manages to produce a reasonable representation of the figures. It kind of takes me back to days of viewing images on my old Mac Plus. The algorithms have been around for years. Even given the low dynamic range of E-ink, they manage to do a pretty good job. The results are serviceable for the platform. No real complaints here. SIGGRAPH papers are double column and printed on paper that is bigger than the Kindle DX. Even just zooming on the media bounding box, the fonts are kind of small.

Tuesday. Let's start moving journal articles over to the Kindle. These are papers purchased from places like the Journal of Physical Chemistry, etc.. Hmm, double column articles with complex mathematics are a bit of a problem in portrait mode. By the time you put an exponent on a term in the numerator of a term in the denominator of an integral, the font size is getting pretty small. Turn the Kindle to enter landscape mode. Everything rescales, and the math is readable again. But a complete page doesn't fit on screen. I expected that. Just click the next page button. When the Kindle is sideways, the buttons are in an awkward position. Rats. Furthermore, the article is two column. In landscape mode, you have to hit those buttons a lot. Next page, next page, previous page, next page...zig-zagging my way through the text. I think I'll stick to portrait mode except when I need to really see the equations in detail.

Wednesday. My hobby is history. A few months back, I downloaded the complete set of scanned PDFs of the Nuremburg trials. The National Archives have them available for download. They are government documents so they aren't protected by copyright. They are no longer in print, and buying the full set from used book dealers would cost thousands of dollars. The full set of scanned documents is about 2 gigabytes of files. I only have 3.3 gigabytes of storage available. I probably don't want to take up all of my space with just these files. I put a few volumes on the Kindle. The pages are rendered clearly. I can still search the OCR'ed text of the files. It's a shame there isn't sufficient room to put them all on my Kindle.

Thursday. I need to replace the hard drive and add memory to my laptop. I download the PDF manual from the manufacturer to get instructions. Success! The Kindle is perfect for this job. Laptop is disassembled while flipping through the pages of the manual. I didn't have to print out the instructions.

Uh-oh. Suddenly realized that there is no password protection on the Kindle. I have a few business documents on it which I'm going to have to remove. Why can't I password protect this thing? It's so tempting to put business documents on it. I'll have to remember not to do that. If I lose my Kindle, it could be a problem.

Trying to read my Kindle in bed. I've got nearly a hundred pdf files on the Kindle now. I've been cleaning out my filing cabinets of software manuals and printed copies of papers. It's starting to get cluttered. Dragging files into folders organizes them on the Kindle's disk, but the table of contents still only has one level. I have to flip through several pages of titles to find the article that I want.

Friday. Why is this thing getting slow? Turning the pages on some of my pdfs takes 30 or 40 seconds. Uh-oh, some of these pages aren't being scaled correctly. The fonts are tiny. The text only partially fills the screen. This page rendered perfectly yesterday. What gives? I think they may have a memory leak. Is there some way to make this thing reboot? Simply putting it to sleep isn't going to solve the problem. Beginning to get frustrated. Some pages render correctly, others do not. Performance is random and degrading. I think I'll write a review.

My final review is mixed. A very promising device with several serious faults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amended Review ~ Does Amazon back up the fabulous product with fabulous service? Hm., July 13, 2009
For my husband and myself, I bought two Kindle DX's ($489 x 2). Two covers emblazoned with the Amazon logo ($50 x 2). Two extended warranties ($109 x 2). Two Mighty Bright Clip-on Lights ($20 x 2). Everything arrived on June 30, 2009. Neither of us has owned an electronic reader before. We love our Kindles, just love them ... SO easy to use, we've had our noses in our Kindles since they arrived. Which is great because we've been traveling since we received them and love having the NYTimes etc at our fingertips each morning as well as great books (yesterday I read "The Film Club," a memoir by David Gilmour that fascinated and moved me deeply).

However. The back-up service we've received doesn't match the quality of the reader itself. When they arrived, my husband slipped my Kindle into its case with no problem at all. When it came to his, however, the top "snap" of his case was slightly tight and when he snapped the Kindle in place in the case, it caused a very small "bow" in his Kindle at the place of the top snap. He cannot safely remove his Kindle from the case (in order to read the serial # on the back of the device, for instance). Yesterday morning I examined his reader closely and saw a very small hairline crack at the place the Kindle is bowed.

I called the Kindle customer support line yesterday to get what I thought would be support from Amazon for my husband's twelve-day-old Kindle.

I described the problem to the rep. The person on the other end of the phone barely listened; he was very eager to get to the part of the discussion where he would be telling me it would cost $350 to get the case repaired. I responded that this was absolutely unacceptable. I said the problem was with Amazon's defective case and I expected a NEW case and a NEW Kindle.

He noticed I had bought two extended warranties and said that under the terms of the warranty we could take advantage of a one-time replacement of the Kindle. I responded that this was unacceptable as well. After all, I told him, if I did NOT have the extended warranty, would I be willing to pay $350 for a repair on the Kindle? No. Absolutely not. I reminded him that the problem lies with a faulty case that damaged the Kindle out of the box.

I asked to appeal to his superior. He said that when he had me on hold he already had spoken with that person. He then reiterated that they were willing to offer either a $350 repair or the one-time replacement under the extended warranty.

I told him neither was acceptable and that I'd appeal to the Kindle community for ideas on how to deal with this. My husband's Kindle's functionality is not yet impaired, but it likely will be at some point, when the bow in the Kindle causes the reader's casing to pry open.

While we are delighted by our Kindles in all other ways, I'm disappointed with our experience with Amazon's support of the device and not sure where to go from here with the case-and-Kindle issue.

Update July 14, 2009: I wrote Amazon yesterday saying how disappointed I was with their not standing behind their errant case and subsequently damaged Kindle. This morning was an e-mail waiting that said, "We misunderstood you" blah blah.

Whatever they call it - misunderstanding or anything they want - they were ultra-responsive this time around. They gave me a # to call. The rep refunded the cost of the case on the spot. She sent me a prepaid label to ship the cracked Kindle back to them. She promised a new Kindle would arrive by July 21st - with the content of the old Kindle loaded onto it.

Now I'm happy.

Using the Kindle to travel with, store, and read books/magazines/newspapers/blogs is like a car is to walking: So. Much. Easier. I just love it. I'd go to five stars if this editing function on the reviews would allow it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some head-scratching design choices torpedo the DX, June 25, 2009
I am a Kindle 2 owner and someone who uses e-readers for personal and professional purposes (I am an academic). I purchased the DX as soon as it was announced because of its ability to display PDFs in native format. Well, after using the device for about a week, I sent it back. I won't rehash the reasons in detail (Susan Umpleby's review touches on many of the problem areas), but some merit further discussion.

Problems

1) Size. The DX is too big to handle with one hand, but too small to display most academic journal articles in a size that is comfortable to read. Putting the device into a landscape orientation only zooms about 20%, and it awkwardly divides the page in the process. In reality, the DX needs a larger display, roughly 8.5x11 inches would be perfect. Instead, it's too hot/too cold. You've got a reader that cannot do the job of casual reading OR professional reading well.

2) Keyboard position. This one is hugely frustrating. I actually LOVE the Kindle's experimental web capability, and have used it extensively on the Kindle 2. I also type notes on my reading, so the keypad matters to me. But the geniuses who designed the DX's keyboard either did not use it, have fingers like a concert pianist, or perhaps possess a third hand. My hands are not small, yet due to the clustering of all the keys in the center (on the x-axis) of the device, when I hold the device on the sides I cannot reach all of the keys with my thumbs--and thumb-typing is what the kindle keypad is all about. A simple design choice--diving the keypad into two sections, once clustered on the left side, the other on the right, would solve this problem. Instead, you have to release one hand to reach certain keys. Pitiful ergonomics.

3) ALT and SHIFT Keys only on one side. The SHIFT key complaint pertains to the Kindle 2, as well, but Amazon has compounded it by combining the numeric keys with the top row of letters, requiring the use of the ALT key whenever numbers are entered. The problem is, when you hold a portable device and type with your thumbs, the thumb that is holding the SHIFT or ALT key cannot be used to press a key that is on that side of the keyboard. For example, the SHIFT key is on the left, so if I want to type a capital A, I have to hold the shift key with my left thumb, release my right hand and reach over and press the "A" key with it. Come on! Just put another SHIFT (and ALT) key on the right, and the problem is solved.

4) Notes and markups in PDFs. I love the highlighting and notetaking features of the stand mobi/AZW docs on the Kindle. But what person reading a PDF does not want to take notes on it? I sure as hell don't read PDFs for pleasure, but the DX leaves you out of luck for note-taking. The lack of highlighting is perhaps understandable (you can't really do that too well with protected PDFs on a PC, either), but you can't even enter page-relevant notes with the DX. The best you can do is bookmark. Ms. Umpleby hit the nail on the head when she called the DX a PDF "viewer", and not a great one at that.

For academics or professional users looking for an electronic reader to handle PDFs, I strongly recommend waiting for another device (such as Plastic Logic's reader). If you don't own a Kindle, stick with the Kindle 2--it's comfortable to use, more portable, and there are decent workarounds for displaying PDFs. Spend a little on a decent PDF converter (I like Nuance's program, but there are other good choices), and you can display PDFs (though not the images, charts, and graphics in PDFs) quite well on the Kindle 2, plus you will have the note-taking and highlighting missing from the native-PDF display.

Yes, the DX is faster than the 2 (although many PDFs take a LOOONG time to display). Yes, it can display images better. But for those marginal improvements, it is manifestly not worth the price or the hassle of using it. Just a poorly designed device.