Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

1,111 of 1,129 people found the following review helpful
on November 22, 2012
These instructions are for Windows 7 64-bit specifically

Do not even take the disc they give you with the receiver out of the bag... it's worthless.

Google "xbox 360 controller pc driver" and the first hit should be a link to the official Microsoft page for the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Under the Support tab you can download the official software, which does work with this HDE 360 Receiver and gives you the on screen display and shows your battery level remaining, etc, just like on the 360 console.

Once the official software has been installed...

Plug in wireless receiver to your PC
Open Device Manager
Right-click "Unknown device" > "Update Driver Software"
"Browse my computer for driver software"
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Highlight "Show All Devices" > Click Next
WAIT... it may take a second to load if your PC is slow
Under Manufacturer select "Microsoft"
Under Model select "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]"
Click Next
When you get prompted for the Update Driver Warning click "Yes"

When you right-click and open Properties on the receiver in Device Manager, open the Driver tab and you should see the following:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date 8/13/2009
Driver Version: 2.1.0.1349

THAT was the key for my installation on Windows 7 64-bit, the default driver it was finding before was dated 2006 and did NOT work even though it did recognize the receiver.

Once your receiver is working, click the sync button on both the receiver and your wireless 360 controller and you should see a pop up from your System Tray about "USB Input Device" was detected... your controller is now synced.

If you open the Game Controllers menu under Control Panel you should now see the 360 receiver listed, and you can click Properties and verify visually that all buttons, thumb-sticks, etc are working properly and you can even perform calibration of the analog inputs should they need it but I wouldn't bother unless you notice an issue.

For $12'ish shipped this is an excellent value IF it keeps working long term I will be very happy. Microsoft did not stop making the official receiver, they just decided to stop selling it individually. You have to buy the bundle with a new controller, which was foolish of them in my honest opinion and why you see all these knock-off's online.

I had previously been using my PS3 controller on my PC via a software called "DS3 Tool" by "MotionJoy" which you can look up online as well... even works with BlueTooth supposedly. A good alternative if you already have a PS3 controller because no dongle is required and the "DS3 Tool" software is completely free.

I hope this review was helpful for anyone hesitant to give this a try or having issues with the receiver driver installation.

EDIT - 01/06/13 - I've been using it for a few months now with zero issues, thing works like a charm. Also thanks everyone for responding that these instructions were helpful, and I took note of some suggestions and modified the above instructions to reflect that the official M$ driver / software should be installed before you do anything.

I've been using this dongle to rock the new Steam Big Picture mode and it works perfectly... :)
118118 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2014
Yes! It does work with Windows 8.1, and I'm going to show you how to do it because some of the other reviewers didn't give enough detail as I would have liked, so I will give you a more detailed version of how to get it working in just a few simple steps, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

1. Do not install the disk that the game comes with!
2. Go online and search for Wireless(make sure it is wireless)Xbox 360 controller drivers. Hopefully this is the page you end up on: [...] When asked which operating system are you using, select Windows 7 64bit. Yes even if you are using Windows 8.1.
3. Plug in your wireless receiver, and find it using Device Manager > Other Devices > Unknown Device. That Unknown Device is your wireless receiver. If for some reason you didn't follow step 1, you need to uninstall the drivers that came with the device.
4. You want to select Update Drivers
5. "Browse my computer for device software" > "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
6. Search for "Xbox 360 Wireless *Receiver* for Windows" Make sure it is the most recent version! There are multiple versions, make sure it is the most recent version! It will prompt you to say that it cannot verify the continuity of the driver with the device, click Yes/OK to proceed and install the software.
7. Once installed, everything should be running as it should.
EDIT #1:
If you ever unplug and replug the device, you will have to reinstall the driver by doing steps 3-6.

EDIT #2: After a week of heavy use, I am loving this device, having the freedom to interchange keyboard and mouse with Xbox 360 wireless controller on my PC is pure gaming heaven. Games I have tried and had success with so far are: Dark Souls, FIFA:World, The Witcher II, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall. I am sure that there are many more that will work.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2013
Okay so there's a setup guide I'm going to tell you I learned from a review (I'm not stealing them I'm just re posting so new buyers can see.)

These instructions are for Windows 7 64-bit and also for Windows 8 64-bit specifically.

Once the official software has been installed...

Plug in wireless receiver to your PC
Open Device Manager
Right-click "Unknown device" > "Update Driver Software"
"Browse my computer for driver software"
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Highlight "Show All Devices" > Click Next
WAIT... it may take a second to load if your PC is slow
Under Manufacturer select "Microsoft"
Click Next
When you get prompted for the Update Driver Warning click "Yes"

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date 8/13/2009
Driver Version: 2.1.0.1349

My product came in the mail in about 3-5 days. Really fast and in perfect condition. It works perfectly with Steam Big Picture mode and flawless with XPadder. Be sure to give the original guide poster credit too!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2013
Does not work in Windows 8, which seems to be a common complaint. After 2 hours of searching forums and continually deleting and reinstalling drivers, I'm officially done trying.

EDIT: Got it working under Win 8, 64-Bit, but it's still somewhat of a pain. Here are the steps:

1) Install Microsoft's 360 controller software. If you Google "microsoft 360 drivers" it will be the second hit from the top.
2) With receiver plugged in, go to Device Manager > Other Devices.
3) You should see an Unknown Device. Uninstall its drivers.
4) Unplug receiver, then plug it back in.
5) You should see the same Unknown Device reappear under Other Devices.
6) Update Drivers for Other Device.
7) Select "Browse my computer for device software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
8) Choose Microsoft as the manufacturer, then look towards the bottom of the list for "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" and install the software.
9) At this point (hopefully) you should be able to sync the devices together.

Note that if you disconnect the receiver you will need to redo the steps above. So yeah, I can confirm that it does work under Windows 8.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2013
Works great with Windows 8 x64!!!

Instructions:
1. Go to microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows
2. Select Windows 7 x64 as your OS
3. Download Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2 64-bit for Windows 7
4. Connect the HDE Receiver to your laptop
5. Open device manager, right click Unknown Device and click Update Driver Software
6. Click Browse my computer for driver software then Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7. Click Show all devices and under Manufacturer select Microsoft & under Model select XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows.
8. If given a warning click next and if given the option of which driver version to install select the 2012 version (6.2.9200.16384)
9. If this still does not work (it didn't for me first try, go back and install the earlier version of the driver)
10. Press the Wireless Receiver button and the one on your wireless controller to sync and it should work now.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2014
After reading a lot of reviews here which seem confused about getting this receiver to work correctly in various versions of Windows, I decided to post this here to verify it does, in fact, work great with Windows 8.1 64-bit. The best part is that if you have used Win 8.1 Update to install the latest bug fixes/driver packages (as of September 2014) the proper device drivers are now located in the local driver base and no longer require a separate download. Inexplicably, the drivers still don't install automatically, but they are relatively easy to find and install.

What you need to do to is go into [Control Panel] -> [Device Manager] and you will see an "Unknown Device" entry. Use the mouse to right-click on this and when the context menu pops up choose "Update Driver Software" -> "Browse My Computer For Driver Software" -> "Let Me Pick From a List of Device Drivers On My Computer" -> scroll all the way down and choose "Xbox 360 Peripherals" -> double-click "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver".

The receiver software should now be correctly installed in Win 8.1. Provided there is not a problem with the hardware, it will work exactly like the "official" Microsoft branded version (this is most likely produced on the exact same Chinese manufacturing line).

To link it with your Xbox 360 controllers simply touch-click the button located on top of the receiver unit and you will see the green light begin to blink as it searches for controllers to connect to -> then turn on your xbox 360 controller using the center X button, find the small "receiver link" button located on the top/front of the controller near the left bumper and click it - when you do this you will see the center 360 button light rotate/blink and when it links up it will choose a "Controller Slot" depending on how many controllers you already have linked up. You can use this receiver to link up to 4 controllers to your PC.

I've tested the official Microsoft version as well as this version and there is no functional or physical difference whatsoever. Getting either one to install the required driver software is a bit of a pain since for some reason the drivers won't install automatically for either one, but if you follow my instructions you shouldn't have too much trouble. Enjoy!
on January 1, 2014
I am running Windows 7 64bit, and this did not work with drivers auto installed when plugged in. Other reviewers have have listed out the steps you need to take to manually select the driver to use. Once I followed the manual driver selection, it worked great. If you switch the USB connection to another port, you will need to redo the steps to manually select the driver again. If the driver install was correct on auto install, i would have giving it 5 stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2014
This product is simply broken. There is no other way to describe it. I have followed all of the instruction guides from the ones provided to several on the internet. All of them say the same thing. So you'd think that would work right?

Wrong. I have been trying to get this device to work for over 4 hours. Mind you, I have and Xbox 360 and have built several computers so I would say that I am somewhat tech savvy. However this device is just simply unusable.

Every time I tried following the directions I kept getting an error 10, device not responding. I figured it was completely broken. Then I restarted my computer and uninstalled the drivers and decided to give it another try for s***s a giggles. And it WORKED! What?? I was really excited, finally I had figured it out. But then it disconnected from my controller after 30 seconds and hasn't reconnected since.

Shoddy hardware, shoddy drivers. Just get a wired controller if you plan on gaming with a controller because this adapter is simply not worth it.

Never been so dissatisfied with any device in my life.
on October 16, 2014
This product does work well, but it takes a little effort to get it working. Because the &PID doesn't match the Microsoft official XBOX 360 wireless receiver %PID, you have to modify the .inf file to make it match, essentially tricking windows into thinking it is the official one. There is an article here that details the process and it worked well for me on windows 8: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=137488.0

Now I'm playing my steam games with my 360 controller and it works flawlessly.
on July 21, 2013
works great with windows 8. thanks to the summer steam sale, i've been buying a lot of games that support the xbox 360 controller, and this works great. installation was easy... just make sure you don't use the CD that was included and follow "Schmoofadoop" instructions in his/her review
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...