1,676
Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Price:$219.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 7, 2012
I am pretty disappointed in this headset and Sony especially after all the good reviews. Sony's 4.10 PS3 update effectively made this headset useless. The purpose of the update was to allow players to hear themselves during chat so they don't end up yelling. Sony did this by having the microphone pick up noise and feed it into the headset. The problem is the update will not let you adjust the microphone settings in the XMB menu, the microphone sensitivity is WAY to high, also there is little to no noise cancellation. The microphone picks up everything, you fart you hear it.... The problem is with the mic sensitivity so high you get a static sounding hiss in the headphones which sounds like a broken cassette tape, similar to what wireless interference sounds like. If you turn the microphone input off in the XMB menu the sound will go away, but you will not be able to use the chat feature. It has been a month and Sony has still not fixed the issue. I returned the headset, I feel sorry for those people who are outside their return period. This is a known issue with over 15 pages worth of complains in Sony's own USA support forum. Sony has given no ETA on when or if the issues will be resolved.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2011
I've never owned a headset other than the official Bluetooth PS3 one so I was skeptical on getting this. I don't have the best surround sound but I mainly bought this so I could turn the speakers off in my living room to avoid annoying my wife and kids after they go to bed. If there's gamer dads out there, you know what I mean..."turn the TV down, the bass is too loud, you're talking too loud, etc". I figured this would be the ultimate solution, it is a solution, but not the ultimate. The first round of Battlefield 2 Bad Company I played, I literally jumped after being shot at close range from behind. It's amazing how you can hear footsteps close by and which direction enemy vehicles are in. I've also been hearing all kinds of sounds I never knew existed in the game like animal sounds and rusty windmills turning. I would have to say I've been more alert and not getting surprised and killed as much by using this headset. The only downfall to this headset, along with any full ear cover headset, is not being able to hear yourself talk when chatting. That is why this isn't the ultimate solution for me. I knew this before I bought the headset, so it wasn't a surprise to me. I already got a complaint from the wife basically telling me to shut up because I was talking too loud. I just need to figure out my tone so I don't talk so loud, but it's hard when you can't hear yourself. My PS3 is in a separate room from my TV and I was glad to see that the wireless capabilities allows it to work between walls. It's very comfortable and looks great. Not sure if I'll ever go back to my old headset or not.

EDIT: I ended up returning these to the store. I couldn't stand not hearing myself when chatting, it was very annoying. Maybe they'll come out with an update of some sort to fix this. I see that there are headsets out there that have this feature so hopefully they'll make a change.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
The Sony's are the third headset that I have used, and the cheapest. I gambled on them because of the price. Unfortunately they just didn't measure up to what I was used to. Having started with the Turtle Beach X41's and then PX5's, both of which are 7.1 channel surround headsets, I have been spoiled by true surround. I still own the X41's, which have been great, but their chat doen't work with the PS3. I returned the PX5's prior to ordering these for reasons I gave in my review for them.

I gave the Sony headset three stars because, for the money, they are fairly well done. The good points are: the set up is simple and easy, they are lightweight, they are wireless, and they are very user-friendly.

The main problem that I had with them is that the simulated 7.1 surround sound is more like 3.1 compared to true surround sound headsets. As a straight stereo headset, they're fine. The ambient sounds aren't as isolated as with more expensive headphones, but it's decent stereo. Another issue I had was that I could not hear my own voice in the earphones, which made things awkward at first as I found myself trying to talk over the volume of the game. I eventually adjusted, but it was strange.

If you have not owned a gaming headset prior to these, you will enjoy them. I suspect that this is where most of the four and five star reviews come from. If you are used to or are expecting immersive surround sound, you will be disappointed.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2011
After using this headset for about 4 hours this afternoon, I am very pleased with the sound quality it puts out. I have a 5.1 Sony HTIB (Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX589W) as well, this headset surely beats having to crank the volume low late at night. I have only tested it with games thus far, giving me a fair share of time experiencing the virtual surround sound. Among all things, there is one big issue I am having with this unit, which probably applies to most wireless headsets out there --- it picks up major interference from my Cisco router, which is located on the entertainment center - 3 feet away from the PS3 console. Since relocating the router and/or PS3 is not possible, I will need to purchase a USB extension, in order to get the dongle as far away from the router as possible. I am hoping this will solve the frequent audio stutters & cut-outs. For all of those who are wondering, Cellphones do not seem to interfere with the audio. Other than this issue, I absolutely love this thing - build quality is top notch, comfort lasts hours into usage, and noise cancellation works great.

Edit: Adjusting the channel on your wireless router does the trick - instructions can be followed below in review comments --- Thanks guys!

Score adjusted from 4 stars to 5 stars
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am very impressed with this wireless headset. The following are my thoughts on it's various qualities:

Sound Quality:
------------
This is a set of decent drivers. I'd say it sounds just like the Sony MDR-V600 but slightly less clear and tight as the MDR-V6. It's a very good, clean sound with good range and good bass response. It's not luxurious though. You audiophiles know what I mean.

Stereo vs Virtual 7.1: Okay, yes, the 7.1 is NOT AT ALL like having a real 7.1 sound system. Forget that it's called 7.1. Just call it Virtual Surround Sound. It's really just a stereo expander and it remixes all the audio channels into a much wider and dynamic range. In Stereo, everything will feel really close together and in your head, but in Virtual 7.1, all the channels feel like they're spread out and distinct with the center channel standing out clearly and cleanly. It's very impressive. Don't get caught up in verifying if it's 7.1 or not, it makes a big difference in the experience.

One important thing to note is that the audio for these headsets is controlled by each game individually. If you think there's not much bass in these headsets, try another game. I played some games where there's too much bass and others with too little. You don't really get a choice, it's all mixed on the PS3 side and sent over digitally. Here are my thoughts on some games:

Uncharted 2: Very, very good sound. Tons of positional audio and ambient sounds like birds, water, and weather. Sounds excellent and has good bass.

Resistance 1: Works well but nothing spectacular. Feels very immersive but positional audio is not that good in this older game. Bass is decent.

GT5: Actually disappointed in this one. You really just hear your own car and that's it. Hard to notice any other sounds. However, the music get's an isolated channel making it stand out better. I like this. Gah, too much bass from the engines.

Shadow of the Colossus HD: Hrmmm, not that impressed with this one. There is some positional audio but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. There really isn't much positional audio to hear in this game. Intense bass in weird places, none in others.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Actually, this game has pretty good sound overall. I only played single player but the sound was very cinematic and engaging. The positional audio was okay but it's difficult to tell what's going on when a hundred people are firing at the same time. Bass was very, very good.

PC Use: Works great in Windows 7. You can even tweak settings and enhancements like bass boost in the control panel. No driver installation either. Can play sound through multiple devices (headset and speakers for instance). Microphone sensitivity cannot be adjusted.

Mac Use: Works great as well but no audio settings, no adjustments.

**Hissing Sound**

I read in a few reviews that they could hear a hissing sound when there is no audio playing. I can confirm this. It's very quiet though. The weird part is that it's completely independent of the volume and mixer settings. It never gets louder or quieter; it's always at the same level. Investigating it more, I found that the microphone is always on and the hissing is likely coming from ambient noise being picked up and amplified. To test this, turn on your headset and rub the microphone hole with your finger. You'll hear the scraping amplified right into your ear.

At first I couldn't figure out what this was all about. The manual mentions nothing about this and I couldn't find a way to turn it off. After going through the device settings in PS3 however, I found that there is an anti-echo feature used to prevent the microphone from picking up your own voice on the TV. It's my theory that this feature is the cause of the hissing. What I can't figure out though is why you can hear the microphone input in the headset. Everyone complains that there is no mic monitoring, yet clearly it is doing it at some level. Is this some kind of noise canceling technique? Who knows?

Regardless, the hissing is very quiet and doesn't bother me in the slightest. Actually, "hissing" isn't the right word. It sounds like wind or a river. It's a lower pitch than a "hiss".

Comfort:
-------
Average comfort. It's nothing to complain about. Some minor pressure points and typical fatigue after extended use. Both sides slide up and down to size. Large ear cups envelope your ears and drivers are set at an angle so nothing presses against the ear. Nothing to complain about as far as comfort goes. They're quite light as well.

Build Quality:
-----------
It's plastic and, well, It's probably as sturdy as the MDR-V600 headphones. My V600s have lasted 11 years so far. Nothing to complain about here. I don't plan on dropping them or anything. The telescoping microphone is "flimsy" but, again, I don't plan on dropping my earphones right on the extended mic. It's not really "flimsy" in the sense that it'll break easily, more just that it's very loosely fit together. Doesn't bother me.

Usability:
-------
Very, very easy to use and intuitive. I read some reviews where someone had to take off their headset to adjust the volume and mixer sliders. I don't understand that at all. They also said it was difficult to adjust the sliders. I don't know what the issue was, but I find it very easy to use. Take this scenario for instance: The sound comes on too loud and you clutch your headphones on either side, thumbs pointing behind you. Well, right where your left thumb rests on the headset is where the volume slider is. I find it very intuitive and instinctive to reach for my headset to rip them off, but instead quickly adjust the slider down.

To turn the headset off and on you simply press the outside panel on the left side for 1 second and it only takes 2 seconds to connect to the USB dongle. To mute, you click the same panel. To check the battery you click the panel 3 times quickly; the microphone light will blink to indicate its charge level. To switch between Stereo and Virtual 7.1, you hold down a small button for a couple seconds on top of the left-side panel.

It's all very easy to use. Heck, you just charge the headphones with a regular USB cable. Some people complain about the USB dongle being big. It really makes no difference to me. Some people complain about interference. Yes, if you have a lot of 2.4GHz wireless devices they can cause each other to drop off. I use 5GHz networking so there have been 0 problems for me. I can get 30ft away from mine easily before I start losing packets.

Final Thoughts:
------------
If I'm going to review a $100 wireless headset, I'm going to do so within that range. I'm not going to compare it to the best headphones in history and give it 1 star because it doesn't stack up. These have $60-80 sound quality and the rest you're paying for the wireless and other technologies in it. This thing gets 5 stars easily. It's the best wireless headset I've ever used. The battery life is amazing and the ease of use between PS3, PC, and Mac is so appreciated. It just works.
on September 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
I've tried the wired Sharkoon X-Tatic, but hated the bulky, heavy wire and the constant hissing background noise. I then tried the wireless Logitech F540 - loved the wireless (can never go back to the wire) and overall great headset EXCEPT I couldn't tell front from back as they are only stereo. This is my third try at a headset for the PS3. I think I'm glad I did - love the wireless and the sounds are comparable to the Logitech, and now I can tell front from back. It's certainly not full surround sound immersion, but I do gain an edge over regular stereo headsets. I can't say the build quality and style are as good as the Logitech, but they're just as comfortable and functional. I took away a star as I find the mixer and volume controls to be difficult to both locate and use; they're too flush with the side and takes more time and effort to adjust, especially during a match. But I find the onscreen status display to be very useful, such as checking if my mic is muted.

I'm not sure why some have problems with the chat/gameplay sound settings and volume. Leave the mixer in the default (it's got a tactile stop in the middle) and it's perfectly balanced. Slide it all the way down to instantly mute all the gabbers and rappers without having to actively mute each one - very convenient! And I actually find the volume too loud - I have it dialed all the way to minimum, to the point of muting it entirely. And bass is definitely there - not sure why some say there isn't enough; it's almost too much at times.

If I had to choose between the Logitech and the Sony, I'd pick these - they're comparable in comfort, sound, and function, but the Sony wins with the virtual surround and better integration with the PS3. I just wish they were available a few months earlier so I saved a Benjamin.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2011
I got these at work so since I couldnt wait to play with them I tried them on my pc and install was as easy as plug n play. Music sounded pretty good and the headset was very comfortable. Its build pretty well and looks good resting next to my monitor. So finally got home and turned on my ps3 (my playing setup is my PC monitor that is 20 feet away on the other side of the house since I play here when the TV is being used up), this thing paired up in seconds and I jumped into a game of Black Ops. Very impressed I might say!! They sound amazing and the surround sound works as advertised. I could easily make out the direction of gunfire, nades and footsteps. I played for about 2 hours and they were really really comfortable. Cant wait to try them out some more, definitely recommend these to anyone that wants to play without bugging the family.
on September 8, 2011
So, I have been waiting for these to come out for a while now. I already had my money saved up for them. For those who are reading.... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY $119. These headphones are $99 retail! I bought them from Best Buy and came home, put the usb wireless stick in the PS3 turned them on and WHA LA. Perfect.

WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT THEM
*Cost - at $99 you can not go wrong. I don't believe there is any other set of gaming headphones on the market at this price with this quality of sound

*Craftsmanship- Sony did a number on these. The design looks like it belongs with the PS3. very nice futuristic look to them. They do not feel like $99 headphones they feel like $199 dollar headphones. There are 2 different volume sliders. One is for the mix of game sound vs teammate voices. The other is master volume. They are both on the left side as well as the mute mic switch and the microphone extension.

*Sound - they put out 7.1 surround sound. When using these for gaming it is incredible how much you hear. I tried them tonight using 3 different games playing an hour or more a piece. I used them on Mass Effect 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2. It is crazy how many things you don't hear when using a television's speakers. These developers have done some amazing work with sound in these games and you owe it to yourself to have these headphones to hear everything. Using these makes your gaming experience WAY more immersive than using TV speakers. The bass is deep, the highs are crisp. nothing is distorted and the volume is very strong. I was able to have all the sound I could handle with the volume level at half and below.

*Feel - I wore these for about 3.5 hours and had no discomfort AT ALL. They don't even feel like they are on your head after a while. VERY comfortable! They are 90% noise canceling. They are not noise canceling headphones but when you put them on it feels like they have you sucked in a room.

*Battery - instead of charging them when I got home I started using them immediately. I had one bar of battery life according to the display on the PS3. I was able to play for 3 hours or so with out even seeing the low battery message. I'm impressed.

WHAT'S NOT SO GREAT
*Doesn't have many features outside of PS3/PC - so... there are other gaming headsets that have some other "features" that this doesn't have. For instance. You can use other headsets with other devices via bluetooth. Since these uses a bluetooth wireless USB stick for connections instead of having a mechanism built in the headphones, it is limited to the things that it can play nice with. So it will only work with your Mac/PC and PS3. that's it. Because they have USB ports unlike your phone/iPod/iPad etc. At first I questioned why Sony did this but... I believe it was to keep them at a nice price. I like that.

This would be my only complaint about these headphones. however, I didn't purchase them for that. I wanted them to play my games with on my PS3. Being able to use them on my PC is a bonus however not really needed for what I want to do.

At $99 these are the best headphones if you have a PS3. Do NOT HESITATE. Buy them!
on June 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
Product works well enough, but protect that adapter like your life, or at least your headset, depends on it, because it does. The dongle is apparently very proprietary, as in it only works with that one headset. If you break the adapter, which is VERY easy to do, you can not replace it. You cannot mail your headset in and have a new one programmed. To be blunt, if that adapter/dongle gets busted, you are screwed. I talked with both Sony and PlayStation and both told me the same thing when mine was busted after a tip of the pS3 shattered the cheap plastic. And that is, so sorry, buy a new headset. For this reason and this reason alone, I would NOT recommend purchasing this headset. The total lack of support makes it way to risky of a purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
PROS:

1) Good headset for the $65 I got it for.

2) Good integration and ease of use with PS3.

3) Good sound quality.

4) Users report clear sound audio coming from my end as well.

CONS:

1) Not so comfortable ass it presses on your jaw joint too much, anterior to your ears, near your ear lobes.

2) If you use WiFi that doesn't get 100% signal strength, you will notice this headset mess with your online connection. ESPECIALLY if you decide to plug in the USB receiver while your playing a game.

3) The tip end of the microphone glows such a bright blue, that it becomes unbearable at night while it's extended. Though pushing it back in will make the issue less prevalent.

4) Not personally satisfied with battery life so much, though I hear turning off the Emulated 7.1 Surround Sound improves it drastically.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...