4.0 out of 5 stars Takes some getting use to
Published on August 10, 2010 by Benjamin Schultze

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says
This has been a love hate relationship with this product... but for the price that you pay for it its not a bad buy at all. Considering that there are other products out there for much more, this item filled my needs.

Published on April 19, 2011 by Treah

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes some getting use to, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Wireless Touch Mini Touchpad Keyboard with Smart Touch (Personal Computers)
This is a neat little device, i am using it to write this review and seems to work as advertised... The buttons are small and could be a issue if typing long papers but as far as surfing the net or emails i havent seen any problems yet... With the touch pad to the right of the KB it feels more natural like using a mouse versus the touch pads you find at the bottom of a notebook and have to make un-natural movements to scroll or move the mouse aound...

Its hard to say if its droping key strokes versus me still getting use to the KB and not firmly pushing the buttons but its getting better the more i type

Windows XP installed drives automatically

It takes two aaa batts and cant say how long they will lsat because its only been a few days so far... The KB measures 11 inches by 4.5 inches and extremely thin

I have my computer case hidden from sight and about 8 feet away and still connection is reliable...

The only con i see so far is there is no good internet hot keys on this KB and there is room on the top for them it would have been a nice addition...

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, April 19, 2011

Pros: The size of the keyboard is perfect small enough to not get in the way but not too small that you cant type on it, although if you have large hands it might not be too comfortable. The touch pad on this keyboard is pretty good and responsive and it sits in a good place to be useful, also the mutitouch works in Linux which for me was a big+. This makes me happy to see this built into the product and not something simply implemented in drivers. Device has a on off switch on the bottom which is a big + for me as well.

Cons: Range of this product is by no means 30 feet like it says expect to get about 10 at max maybe 13. Also there seams to be a bit of strangeness on where you hold the device and its willingness to communicate with the receiver. If you place it in your lap covered up by your legs it will not work or be intermittent. Product is a bit flimsy but that's more just nit picking. Have to hit a key to wake the device up even if you just turned it on, not really a big deal tho.

All and all I have 2 of these units and can happily report that they do not interfere with each other or even work on each others connector. I use mine for use on systems attached to the tv and they are great for having a keyboard still and fitting nicely on the table with the other remotes without getting in the way. They are not the smallest devices so if you are looking for that you may wanna look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool little Unit!, April 2, 2011
Smaller than I thought it was going to be, but highly usable. Layout is a bit different with only one shift key on the left. The trackpad is very accurate and works well. Typing takes a little getting used to, as the keys are small, but the overall tactile feel is good for such a keyboard. You have to get into the habit of hitting the space bar when returning to the keyboard after a break as it seems to 'sleep' after a few minutes of not being used, but it immediately comes to life and is a great little keyboard for limited space. I use it in my Woodshop where i have a Shuttle PC running to stream music and other shop related uses....seems pretty well made and durable- time will tell. I would give it 8.5 out of 10 overall. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore Bad Reviews!! This is a good keyboard!!, January 21, 2012
I had a tech build me an HTPC and he bought this keyboard. Opened it and it was dead. Then I read the reviews and felt like I bought a piece of junk too!! I even requested a return, but then I realized the problem. The batteries that came with the keyboard were dead. (They are "cheap" batteries) My husband and the tech guy tried putting in new batteries but still it was "dead". I was packing it up for a return and decided to give the batteries a try myself and lo and behold, both the tech guy and my husband had them in backwards! It took a woman to get them in right. Next I plugged in the USB that gives the signal to the keyboard and it worked perfectly!! Then I hit a key and a different letter appeared on the screen (as some reviewers reported) but I discovered the erroneous keys were due to "NumLock" being on. Hit the numlock key and the letters appeared exactly as typed. This happens even with letters that do not share a number key. There is no numlock indicator so it's up to you to be sure it is off.

Meanwhile, I had bought a new, smaller and more expensive keyboard to replace this one. Now I have them both and truth be told, I like this one better. It's larger and more resembles a wired full-size keyboard. It also has more keys than the "querty" type. I decided to keep both so I will always have a back-up in case either fails. But this keyboard remains my first choice due to the size. It's not too big and not too small. For me, its' just the right size. My husband feels the same way. His fingers are way too big for a "querty" and this keyboard accomodates his big hand quite well. As for it not having a backlight, I just use a book light. They're cheap and bright enough so I can see what I'm doing in low light. Backlit keyboards suck up power and cause your battery to drain. A booklight or small flashlight does the trick

I think the number of bad reviews serves to prejudice you against this product(like it did to me at first) when in actuality the problems in some cases are caused by the user. Two things to be aware of: keep putting in new batteries until you get it right, and make sure "numlock" is off when you type.

Give this keyboard a chance!!! You won't be sorry!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it, January 18, 2011
Shane (Littleton, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this device mid December 2010. I bought it for use on an MCE machine with the intent that I would rarely need to type, but it might be handy occasionally. This seemed to work for about a week but then it became very sporadic. Sometimes it turns off in the middle of typing something and sometimes it just starts sending erroneous key strokes(like a line of numbers or letters suddenly taking off across the screen). If the reliability existed, then I could look past the tiny and hard to type on keys (my BB is easier to type on for some reason). Pair that though with the unreliable response and you have a pretty but nonfunctional ice scraper.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a piece of crap!, November 11, 2010
Bought this 3 days ago. Today it's dead. Tried all the USB ports on my HTPC; also connected to my other PCs in the house; changed batteries multiple times. Same issue: no response, ergo...DEAD.

Called Gearhead and tech support wasn't impressive either.

Stay away!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars gear head support, March 5, 2011
I bougth the wireless keyboard and it stop working approximately 3 months after purchase, I file an RMA and gear head sent me a new one within 2 weeks. I would definetely recomend buying this product due to its good customer support.

2.0 out of 5 stars Honesty is the best option., February 5, 2011
Rob "NEVER SEARCH ALONE" (Middle of North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I bought this with high hopes. I was going to use this with my media center computer. First of all the keyboard is so little unless you have child fingers, its useless. You can not do the original ASDF-JKL; keyboard positioning and type. The range on the gearhead devices..I have one keyboard that works about 8-10 feet plain view sight.. (putting the usb receiver on a usb extention cord up on top of the LCD (gear head)..I still use that one on my media pc. Because the unforuntate thing is ..the Keyboard for this one went dead about two months after having it. The usb receiver still works and was found by the pc. I contact gear head reference to a RMA..never heard anything from them. The company/mini keyboard are useless..dont waste your money or time. I recently purchased a Logitech Dinovo Edge bluetooth keyboard with touchpad.. its not a mini..but the range/functionality/sleek look...was well worth it...

Gear head..never again..

Hope this helps some that are thinking on buying this because it looks like a nice little keyboard instead of a big wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Just say NO!

1.0 out of 5 stars worked then it didn't work, June 23, 2010
I bought this for my HTPC I just built, the day after I ordered it I had problems with my mother board and had to exchange it with another online shop so when the keyboard got here my htpc was still down, but I tried the keyboard out on my laptop and it worked fine. It is a really small keyboard but for me I thought it would be perfect for what I needed it for.

Day before yesterday my mother board comes, I get my computer up and running and try this keyboard, windows recognizes it and downloads drivers, I go to type and nothing. I push all of the buttons, take the batteries out and put them back in, replace the batteries with two sets of new batteries and still nothing. I think it could be Windows 7 so I put it back on my laptop which has Vista, try all the things I tried on my htpc and still nothing.

I go to their website, no type of support for this keyboard at all, no drivers or anything, it is just supposed to be plug and play, auto synchronized just plug it in and go. Well the only go it got was back in a box and back to Amazon for a refund.

I'm just going to get a standard sized wireless media keyboard from Logitech, at least with them I know they work and they always have some software on their site for everything and their contact links work. Yeah I tried to email Gear Head also but there link took me to an error message on all three browsers I tried IE 8 32 bit, 64 bit and Chrome...

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but problemattic., November 18, 2012
The size and function were perfect for my needs for a PCTv. It takes up little room, and I don't need to do a lot of typing. The layout of the keys is fine for my needs.

However, the range can be a problem. Sometimes the mouse response is slow. But worst of all, not all the keys work. The letter O may put up the number 7, the letter i a question mark.

I haven't tried a diagnosis or troubleshooting yet. Just haven't had the time. However, one should not really have to go on the hunt to make things work.