Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BW 2.4G Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for The Vehicle Backup Camera/Front Car Camera
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 5, 2013
This gadget saved me lots of time when installing my car's backup camera. Video is absolutely perfect. There is no difference to having it hard wired. I have a 2013 Santa Fe SUV and running a cable from the back hatch door would have meant removing part of the headliner as well as many panels. The transmitter and camera are powered from the reverse lights. I did have to remove the back hatch door panel to mount the backup camera. Using a cable tie I mounted the 2.4Ghz transmitter behind the hatch panel. I was able to find a reverse signal wire at my fuse box to power the receiver an 4.3 inch monitor that I mounted in an opening in my dashboard console. The rf receiver is mounted behind the dashboard. Initially I powered the receiver continuously and found that it gets very warm so I decided to only power it while reversing since that's the only time it is needed. This way there will not be any pick up of wireless cameras used in industrial buildings while driving around and will prevent overheating of the 2.4 Ghz receiver. Time will tell if it's along term solution. I've had it working for a month now. I'll post an update later this year.

UPDATE 7-7-14: So far so good and it has been about 1 year and three months in service. I've had no problems at all with my backup camera (Neewer backup camera also purchased on Amazon) and this 2.4GHz RF video link transceiver/receiver pair as well as the 4.3 inch LCD monitor bought also on Amazon. Don't hesitate!
66 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2014
TL;DR: Yahoo! BUY! Otherwise, let me entertain you...

Last year, I fenced my lot in, a 6 foot high fence you absolutely cannot see though. Our driveway goes between the fence and a small outbuilding onto the alleyway behind our home, resulting in a completely blind entry into the alleyway for us. To compound the problem, I have a large pickup and have to back out -- I really have *no* idea what's going on in the alleyway. And of course, there are some jokers who randomly fog up and down the alley at ludicrous speed. The problem was begging for a solution before my truck, which I really like, took a serious hit.

I already had a backup camera and 2-input monitor (one input unused) in the truck, so here's what I did:

I mounted two cameras on the side of the outbuilding, parallel to the alleyway, one pointed each way. I fed this to an inexpensive video combiner also purchased here at Amazon (VideoSecu Office Home Security Camera CCTV Color Surveillance Video Quad Splitter Processor 1EY), which I set to dual split mode, which forwards two cameras in one frame, with the two images stretched vertically, side by side. Which looks decent in a widescreen monitor, btw, although it is admittedly somewhat distorted. This, in turn, I fed into the product here, the 2.4 GHz transmitter, mounted at about head height on the inside of a wood wall immediately adjacent to my exit from the driveway.

Then I mounted the receiver in the truck, high up in the rear seat area of the cabin. I fed the received video to the previously unused input on the monitor, made sure power was coming from a circuit that was hot only when the ignition was on, and that completed the install.

Now, whenever I am near the outbuilding, which essentially means any time I am backing up even over by the house where I park, I can get a clear view up and down the alleyway before even sticking an inch of the truck body out there. My risk of being t-boned went from a dice roll to zero in one move. Just imagine the difference in stress. Did I mention I really like my truck?

So... we also have another vehicle, a car, that the lady of the house generally drives. I thought it would be good if she could see what was going on as well, although she drives out vehicle-front first and can see a little bit anyway. So I got her a monitor like mine, bought a second 2.4 GHz rx/tx unit from this page, and installed the receiver in her car. I was taking a chance that there was only one channel involved (so that the 2nd receiver would also hear the first transmitter), but that in fact turned out to be the case.

So now she can see what's going on as well, and again, our risk is lowered. I stored the 2nd transmitter as a backup. Then I bought a third set so as to have an RF monitor in the shed if and when I mess with things in there, and again, stashed the transmitter as a spare for the spare, as it were.

The only thing that didn't go perfectly is that in her car, I was sort of forced to mount the receiver low and under the dash as she really didn't want wires all over the place, nor was I prepared to do surgery on the headliner. This puts a lot of metal between the receiver and the desired signal, and indeed, the signal is not very strong in her car. I'm considering doing something more like getting a little mini-coax and hacking the antenna up by the windshield. I'll add to this part of the review if I get around to that.

Let me clear, though: I consider this problem not in any way a fault in the rx/tx units, just a problem I caused by mounting the receiver low and near all that metal.

The wiring... meh. I would have liked to see a little heavier wiring for the power supply. Those wires are thin! And speaking of the power supply, what I used in the outbuilding was a 2.5 ampere linear power supply that feeds the cameras, the switch/combiner, the in-shed receiver, and the transmitter. I'm a ham radio operator (amateur radio) and I really can't tolerate all the RF noise the typical el-cheapo switching power supplies, such as the ones that came with the security cameras, generate in the normal course of operation. So the 2.5 amp linear supply takes care of everything with ease, and there's no RF noise at all.

I have not observed excessive heat at any of the three receivers, or at the transmitter. A little warm, that's all. Reception (and therefore transmission) is extremely stable and reliable, and quality of the signal is perfect when within a reasonable range for my application, which is 20 feet or so in any direction. I use an old CRT video monitor along with the receiver in the shed; I rarely have occasion to turn it on, though.

Word to the wise: Note that because the units do get a little warm, we know they're consuming a few watts of power, even without measuring. You really want to connect them only to +13.8 VDC circuits that are active only when your vehicle is running and the alternator is producing charging current. Otherwise, you run the risk of going to start your engine after a few days break and... nothing. Dead battery. I hate it when that happens. I don't think you'd like it either.

Anyway, these are great, flexible products that can really kick up the safety for you and yours, and I highly recommend thinking about what more you can accomplish outside of just making a backup camera wireless, especially since it's pretty easy to run a video cable for that application. That switcher combiner I mentioned can do a quad combine with four cameras, and you can feed that to the transmitter. Four cameras, all displayed at once via one monitor input. Give you any ideas?

Cheers!
66 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
Very short duty cycle on the 2 units I received. After about 1 min, the video becomes garbled. This is with the transmitter/receiver about 4 feet apart. Switching the power off for a minuter or 2 returns to normal operation.

It appears that all transmitters and receivers are on the same frequency, you will not be able to use more than one set at a time. Hopefully others around you haven't purchased them, as that would cause interference as well.
review image
on September 20, 2015
Bought the Esky screen to go with the Esky backup camera and wireless transmitter (Links Below).

The installation of the all 3 items were extremely easy! The backup camera goes on like any plate accessory. The transmitters install/clamp in the rear lighting accessory. No issue's there at all. The screen plugged into my existing radio with 0 problem. I used my tahoe to tow my bass boat so the extra assistance with lining up the tow ball is great. The screen is color and has and the tag has night vision. Perfect combination of products that work seamlessly.

There is some interference from time to time but nothing that would prevent me from giving 5 stars!

Esky 4.3 Inch Color LCD Rear View Monitor Screen

BW® 2.4G Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for The Vehicle Backup Camera/Front Car Camera

[2015 Latest] Esky® EC170-09 Waterproof High Sensitive Color CMOS Black Aluminum Alloy Universal Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 170° Viewing Angle and 8 IR LED Night Vision
review image review image
on August 6, 2013
We installed a double set of these to a infrared color camera on each end to a single 7" TFT monitor with a/b video - one camera hooked to the rear of our 32' gooseneck living quarter horse trailer that we sometimes pull a boat behind as well - the other camera and set of wireless send/receive units are inside the trailer so we can see the to the well being of the horses as we travel. There are virtually no instructions and nothing to indicate which is a send and which is a receive unit out of the box - inspection and comparison of the connections will help you to figure that out. We did not hook up to reverse light however, we hooked to a regular running light so when the lights were on the cameras were on. We did find that in some places with a lot of trees, the signal quality was a little flakier - the receive unit needed to have connection wires to the monitor above the dash to get the best reception (a bit like antenna) - don't secure these wires in your vehicle before you do a test drive a regular travel speed in an area with trees - move the wires about until the picture doesn't skip or go in/out - THEN secure them. It's not the connection shorting out either, it really is reception. For the $ these are a good deal - I think a lot more $ can get better reception without the occassional issues but how can you go wrong on something this inexpensive when it does work just fine. We can watch the boat, traffic behind and watch that the horses don't slip, fall or have issues in the back easily!!!
on July 31, 2013
First of all, if you not familiar with car electrical, pay a professional to install the backup camera. Otherwise, with this wireless transmitter and receiver set, install backup camera is quite straight forward. Considering there is no heat-sink for this kit, I don't think this kit is being designed to have the power on at all time so you should only hook it up to the reverse wire. For my SUV, I installed the transmitter from backup light harness (simple) and receiver using reverse wire I found under the dashboard (not easy, I have to use the signal tracer for that, search the web for your model). The picture is crystal clear 99% of the time, from time to time there is a brief interference but shouldn't affect its main function which let you see if anything on your car's back.
on January 12, 2013
I knew I was not getting top of the line product, but something that works 1 out of the 10 times is unacceptable. It worked great the first five or so times. After that, I either get no picture, or if I do it is very distorted. I will try moving the receiver away from the Navigation unit it feeds into and see if that helps with the reception. There are no specs that came with it to know what the recomended/maximum distance is for the receiver/transmitter combo, so I am hoping that bringing the two closer may give me better results. Otherwise hard wiring the camera will be the only option.
on June 1, 2014
** Revised review 1 day later ***

The transmitter started to flake out after more than 15 minutes of driving. Eventually, I removed the transmitter and ran the video hard-wire through the car and my backup camera works properly now. I would not recommend this 2.4 gHZ transmitter product.

*** Original Review ***

My car didn't come with a backup camera and after reading an article on how a dad ran over his kid, I decided it is really a must and did some research on installing one myself.

There's a youtube video by Cars & Driver on installing a backup camera, but every car is a little different, so before buying everything, I would advise to check out your car and envision how you would put everything together. I spent $100 total make it happen:

Morris Products 10772 Quick Splice Connector, Red, 22-18 Wire Range
- It worked well! The difficult part is making sure the wire is in the right places before clamping down with a plier. Once all the way down, the wire is really tight in there. I used this to splice the power from one of the reverse light on the trunk.

E-PRANCE New Car Door Clip Panel Audio Video Dashboard Dismantle Kits Installer Pry Tool
- Could not have removed the stupid trunk lid liner without this tool and also a small flat head screw driver. The trunk lid liner is held on by 8 black plastic round clip and to remove them without breaking the plastic round clips, you need to discover where to push in with the flat head screw driver by probing under the clip. The location is found when you can stick the flat head deeper than everywhere else. The two sides are usually vertical or horizontal and once found, just shove in the screw driver and one of the very narrow but flat prong to pop it out!

INNOVA 3300 Hands-free Digital Multimeter (10 MegOhm)
- Had to use this to find where to get the power source for the LCD Screen. I did not like this for the car because the prong is not narrow enough to stick into really tight spot.

- The camera is really nice and the frame is nice too. There is are built in indicator lines for distances that's not removable. Fish eye camera lense is also really nice. My only issue is that there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the camera from freely rotating other than the wire sticking out stops it. The length of the wire is also a small issue; it was ok for my car as it's the right length to go throught the plastic of the license plate lighting fixture. But I can see it an issue if it needed to be longer.

4.3 Inch LCD TFT Rearview Monitor screen for Car Backup Camera
- I wish the wires coming out of the LCD Screen was much longer, but it wasn't. The picture is very accurate in its portrayal, so it's not a problem.

2.4g Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for the Vehicle Backup Camera/front Car Camera
- Works very well for short distance of a normal car. The transmitter heats up very fast though, and I worry it may break down with the amount of heat it produces. ... I'm scared of if and when it breaks as I don't like the idea of going back in to fix it.

**** Installation on 2015 Volvo S60 ****

1) 20 minutes just trying to get the trunk lid liner off. The black clips were really hard to remove, but once I figured it out, it was just a process of getting to the side of the clips and pushing in the right way. There is also the trunk latch plastic cup thing that pulls right off. A trunk holder thing that has two plastic clips that needed a good push from the back side that I didn't do appropriately (and broke the clip). A trunk release handle that is attached to a steel cable that needed some finessing to remove.

2) 10 minutes on unscrewing the license plate lighting fixture. I needed some special Torx screw driver and it was almost not the right size. Eventually, it came out easily when the screws were all out.

3) 30 minutes to connecting the *RIGHT* 2.4 ghz transmitter to the license plate camera and stuff it in the space inside the trunk. What's nice is the transmitter has the plugs to power the camera and to receive the 1 yellow RCA feed. So, I had to thread the transmitter cable into the trunk through the license plate lighting fixture. Then, to power the transmitter, I found the red/black wire for the reverse light on the left side of the trunk lid. My wife had to come to put car in reverse for me to verify the right cables to use. I used the splice things to splice the cables together, very fast!

4) For the front, I stuck the LCD screen to the dash, ran the cable on the side, and connected the power lines together with a cigarette lighter car adapter. I utilized an old cigarette car adapter that I wasn't using anymore, cut the wires, stripped, and lashed it all together.

Now, I have a backup camera for just about $100!
on January 26, 2013
works most of the time but get really hot and then cuts in and out. You have to unplug it at times to reset it before video feed starts again. other than that a good idea that needs more quality behind it.
on December 28, 2012
After installing this, it worked (poorly) for about a week. Now - nothing! I am disappointed, but will run the wire instead of going wireless.