Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Wisdom of Joseph Campbell
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

94%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 18, 2005
This is the best set of interviews available. I have all the Campbell audio, video, and DVD material available, and this is the best. Why? First of all, Michael Toms is a kindred spirit. he knows the issues; he knows the questions to ask. And he knows when to let Joe talk. And talk he does--covering all his favorite topics with comfort and clarity. Secondly, the interviews are edited by people who know when Joe is at his best--wisest, funniest, most humorous, etc. Here are 4 CDs worth having because it really shoud be called JOSEPH CAMPBELL'S GREATEST HITS.
on July 14, 2007
I have always been a fan and student of Campbell and have listened, read, and watched many of his works. As all who know him, I was seeking guidance and kinship with his wisdom. In listening to this collection of his ideas, I found the meaning of life I was looking for. Amazing you may say, yes it is, but in reality I ended where I started. Campbell is not a Guru but a herald. If you want the meaning of life, buy this collection, listen to the words, and join me in understanding that you are perfect in your being and by asking Who, What, and Why you find that YOU are the meaning of it all. This should be mandatory listening for everyone who knows that life truly is magical, mythical, and uniquely yours. I won't say much more but if you buy this collection and feel unfulfilled, ask yourself, what is it you seek?
on December 22, 2003
If you were introduced to Campbell by his interviews with Bill Moyers and "The Power of Myth," then these audio cassettes are a very good next step.
I like Campbell's work very much: his books, his videos, his lectures, etc. But I think that he shines most when being interviewed - it is in his interviews (be they with Bill Moyers or these) that he shines the most.
Michael Toms (the interviewer on these tapes) obviously has a background in myth - hence, he is a little more informed than Bill Moyers was and his relationship with Joseph Campbell is different. "The Power of Myth" is a great starting point, but I would say that I may have even taken more from these interviews with Michael Toms than I did those with Moyers.
I recommend these tapes highly.
on January 9, 2008
This collection of Joseph Campblell interviews by New Dimensions host Micheal Toms offers a personal insight into Campbell's compelling world of comparative mythology. It is wonderfully pesented and easy listening, a true joy.

However, it is not just for those intersted in mytholgy... any person wanting to come to a deeper understanding of our own nature would be well placed to listen to these enriching sessions. For example, Campbell shares the symbolism of an Arabian Nights... a farmer is ploughing a field and his plough becomes stuck. He digs to find the source of the problem. He finds the plough has been caught on a gold ring. The gold ring is the latch to a door that laeds to a hidden cave... in the cave are jewels and riches.

The symbolism and message of this story is that often our challenges are the opportunities that lead to open our own awareness to the riches of the inner world (the cave being our psyche or inner knowing). It is the richness of these stories that has made them so appealing for generations. Now I understnad more there deeper message and I am better for it.

I cannot recommend this program or Joseph Campbell enough.
on December 29, 2011
Previously read 'The Power of Myth' which was my first encounter with Joseph Campbell. These audio CDs were perfect for my trip back and forth to work. Listening to Joseph was more informative than reading his material.
on September 22, 2013
Another reviewer said this DVD set is the equivalent of a greatest hits compilation. I agree. It is nicely organized, edited, and gets to many of Campbell's core concepts. I have several other Campbell books and DVDs and I would recommend this to anyone who wants an introduction to the constellation of his thoughts and teaching.
on December 21, 2009
A man ahead of his time. I wish the world would spend more time looking at all the things we share in some form or another instead of what makes us different. With access to the internet these days we can study what he spent a lifetime traveling around the world to discover in a click of a button. The problem is no one thinks to. All his work including this audio makes you think... Thats step one.
on November 22, 2008
This is a must have for any fan of Joseph Campbell, folklore, mythology or spirituality. His insight and wisdom are of value for people of all ages and all walks of life. I have been a fan of his for a long time and this is a wonderful collection.
on August 9, 2015
The content of the interviews is staggeringly valuable. Especially to a society like ours with dozens of different tunnel-vision versions of spirituality and religion - everyone talks about tolerance and inclusion and common goals, but without the broad and deep background of all human religion that Campbell's research offers it is just a lot of well-intentioned but empty promises going nowhere.

Downside: both copies that I've purchased have "blank spots" on about 5% of the discs... (different places on each copy)... as if there was a bad recording technology. Check with the seller about return policy.
on September 10, 2012
Marvelous study of mythology and the wisdom of a great American philosopher, Joseph Campbell. Replaced my old, almost worn out audio tapes with these CDs. Can listen to Campbell over and over again, and gain new insights and knowledge each time. Perfect listening for car travel. Also perfect as a gift for that special someone.