1,049 Reviews

3,681 of 3,719 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Biologist
I thought it might prove beneficial for people to read a review from someone who essentially does genotyping(this test) as part of his job.

Published on November 27, 2011 by Happy Hallowhizzer!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars NDA test done twice with different results
Published on December 5, 2011 by Robert Head

3,681 of 3,719 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Biologist, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Wisdom Panel Mixed Breed DNA Test Kit (Misc.)

I ordered this test because we purchased a dog from the pound and had no clue what breed she was. The test is a pretty simple one, providing you with two q-tips that allow you to gather DNA from your dogs cheek. You essentially get two chances to acquire decent DNA to send to them, so make sure they count. This is the first point where I felt the instructions could have been better. Contaminating DNA is easy, and many people who complain are most likely contaminating their DNA and then wondering why it's getting false calls.

The instructions remind you to not feed your dog 2 hours prior to doing the test, what the instructions DO NOT tell you is that you also shouldn't let your dog chew on anything like a dogbone, lick anyone, or genuinely be allowed to touch anything. Any of these acts could potentially hurt results, and while unlikely, can cause a great deal of these errors. I would personally recommend giving the dog some water, then taking the water away and quarantining the dog for 2-3 hours without anything. Put him in a crate or spare room if you have to, make sure she/he has nothing they can lick, eat, or chew. Then take the dog out, and make sure they don't start licking your hands while you are trying to give the test. It also would be a wise decision to wash your hands thoroughly before using the test, and never let the qtip touch anything but the dogs mouth and the inside of the plastic piece it is placed in.

The second thing I wanted to mention is with regards to how genotyping works. Essentially, the "testers" have positive controls which show a spread of bands they picture. They run the DNA through something called PCR in order to search for markers(bands) present in your dog, usually indicated by size. Dirty DNA can lead to bad bands, hard to read bands, and in the long run, bad calls. What many people don't realize is that the test only determines how much a dog is of a certain breed. These means that if the dog turns out to be 25% beagle, this DOES NOT mean one of the grand parents was a 100% beagle. This means that your dog has 25% beagle in him, which could theoretically be possible if you have two half beagles breed. Also note that recessive genes carry through, so even though all the dogs they determined in your lineage are big dogs, this in no way means your dog can't be small or vice versa. So just because 50% of your dog is Great Dane, yet your dog looks like a poodle, doesn't necessarily mean the test failed, as you have 50% of your potentially dominant DNA unaccounted for from any number of breeds. Likewise, a dog could have a parent with 50% beagle and end up with essentially no beagle in them. This is simple genetics. In reality, two dogs, both 50% beagle could theoretically have a dog with no significant beagle DNA, or a dog with 100% beagle DNA(although unlikely as the genes that make up a breed are a little more complex than a punnett square)..

This test DOES NOT determine lineage... merely the higher percentages of DNA present in the animal. They might call them "parents" and "grandparents", but that is just a reference for "has X% DNA" and has no baring on what the parentage is. This also means that any breed that makes up less than app. 12.5% of your animal simply doesn't show up. So a true heinz 57 dog with 20 breed of dog in it's genetic makeup would render no result.Furthermore, there is no way to determine what your dogs parents are, unless your dog turns out to be exactly 50% one breed and 50% the other.

If you strongly disagree with the results of your test, I'd highly recommend that you call the company or amazon and demand a replacement test. If they refuse to offer one, then file a credit card dispute and get your money back however you can. If you retake the test and receive the same results, it might be about time to start reconsidering how you see your dog. If the results differ, you can always question them on the differing results and get to the source of "which one is right", which might even include a 3rd test. Don't be angry if you need to repeat this test three times (presuming they are willing to provide you free kits twice). All this is doing is confirming the information and reinforcing your data, which is always a plus in science.

So that is my two cents on the subject. With respect to my dog, we adopted her under the belief it was a border collie lab mix. However, over the course of a year, it seemed to lose any border collie appearance and my wife wondered if the dog possessed any pitbull in her due to people often believing she is a pitbull. Turns out there was no pitbull in her, at least none over 12.5%. The test is what it is. The report is well done. I would have appreciated more information regarding how the test is done and what genes they are testing for, and in truth, I am tempted to call them and see if they can tell me and maybe even provide me the data from my animals test upon request. I suppose I can forgive them for not including that data, as it would most likely just clutter things and make them confusing to read, although I am curious as to how well their lab keeps a record and would I be able to obtain my dog's data on request.

5.0 out of 5 stars The phenotypes match the genotypes!, October 13, 2010
I chose Wisdom Panel for their large breed database. Of the North American companies, WP is the only to include Australian Cattle Dog in their database. This was very important to me, as I strongly suspected my dog Zoe was of Australian Cattle Dog descent. I also assumed with more breeds in the database, I would increase my odds of uncovering all recent purebred ancestry in my dogs. Furthermore, some other companies will search for and report "the closest match" if a breed detected in your dog is not included in their database. This can result in false breed reporting. If your dog has American Pit Bull Terrier ancestry, for example, other companies may report breeds as distantly related as Boston Terrier. It's my understanding that WP does not make a practice of this, which I appreciate.

The test was extremely easy to use. I answered a few basic questions (dog's name, my name, my e-mail address, etc.) and swabbed each of my dogs' cheeks with two separate swabs (Annie then ate one of her swabs--the company promptly sent two replacements at no extra charge). I let the swabs air dry for 5 minutes, packed them up, and sent them on their way. No pictures or hints as to my dogs' appearance were provided.

About two weeks later, the results were in. Results are sent via e-mail. The e-mail contains a link to a .pdf file. The reports are informative but they aren't terribly detailed. If you want lots of interesting science and detailed explanations of the results, you won't get that from this or any other company at present. What you will get is a chart showing the breeds detected for your dog and the level at which they are detected. WP also provides a page of information on each breed detected (be warned, however, that their breed trait illustrations are sometimes shown with cropped ears and docked tails, traits which obviously will not be inherited by our beautiful mixed breeds).

Zoe (who looks like an obvious Australian Cattle Dog mix)'s results showed Australian Cattle Dog at the intermediate or "grandparent" level. She also showed traces of Siberian Husky. Though the company claims it's unlikely that dogs will resemble breeds detected at the "minor" level, I do see possible hints of Husky ancestry (enough so that I had considered the possibility prior to receiving her results). For example, Zoe has a curled tail, "snow nose," and partial heterochromia (two different colors in the same eye). Though Zoe's results reported only a small portion of her ancestry, I am pleased, much moreso than had I been given a long list of breeds. Her results are extremely believable and indicate a dog who is several generations mixed breed (my favorite kind!) along most lines.

Annie looks like an obvious Beagle mix. In fact, people regularly comment on my "pretty Beagle." Though she looks very Beaglish, she is a bit large and muscular for a Beagle and is mostly white with just a few red spots. According to Wisdom Panel, Annie's most recent purebred ancestor was a Beagle, again at the grandparent level. At the great-grandparent level, WP detected Boxer (which I may see in Annie's facial markings, wrinkled forehead, her slight underbite, and her athletic build and demeanor). WP also reported traces of Old English Sheepdog, which I cannot see at all but I'm willing to consider (after all, I look nothing like my great- or great-great-grandparents!), especially since I am aware of at least one OES in the teeny tiny rural town where Annie was found as a stray. Again, WP told me I have a well mixed mutt, which I appreciate much more than a long list of marginally related breeds.

I definitely intend to purchase Wisdom Panel Insights again for all of the mystery mutts in my future. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you truly have a mixed breed, don't expect miracles, February 4, 2010
Jon B. Phillips "Vino Jon" (Santa Rosa, California United States) - See all my reviews
First off for this review, the sample is easy to collect; the customer service at Wisdom is awesome and the test results are completed in a very timely manner. We chose Wisdom because their dna database library had over 170 identifiable breeds, so we figured that our Heinz 57 could be matched to at least 1 breed. Last but not least, if you think you have a mixed breed, go into this knowing that you may not agree with the results. From reading reviews from the other DNA outfits, folks seem to have very high expectations; you need to understand that if your dog resulted from other mixed breed parents and grandparents (like most shelter dogs), the dna markers are going to be diluted. So go into it with low expectations and be prepared to be entertained.

OK - so we decided to do this test because our shelter dog is now almost three and everyone who would meet her would ask us what she was. Most people assumed that she had some Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the mix, but we were leaning towards a Pointer/Dalmatian mix. What came back really surprised us - a minor match to Rottweiler. At 46 lbs and more than half white with some big black spots and some black ticking, a Rotti was the last thing we'd guess. So I emailed the folks at Wisdom to explain why out of 170 breeds, we only received 1 minor match (great grandparent). Within 24 hours, my email was responded to and I was given a choice to have one of their Vet's who's also a genetics expert review our dogs results free of charge. They set the expectation that this would take about 10 to 15 days, which it did and I was able to personally speak with the person who was assigned.

I was impressed by the customer service and after personally talking with the Vet who reviewed our dog's results; I now better understand the results and how they were achieved. To clarify, my dog has a 1 in 8 (great grandparent) match to a Rottweiler and some very minor matches (beyond a great grandparent) to a Pointer, Border Collie and Miniature Bull Terrier. I would definitely do this again for another dog because it not only was entertaining but also educational. In the end, we love our dog regardless of the results of this test and if you are willing to spend about $80 - don't think of it as a waste - because after all, if you knew what breed your dog was, you wouldn't be getting the test done.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Fantastic Service!, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Wisdom Panel Mixed Breed DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
I bought 2 of these a couple weeks ago. We have 2 dogs, Hermione and Bender, that we were told upon their respective adoptions were 'designer hybrids'... a jack-chi (jack russell and chihuahua) and a dorgi (corgi and dachshund). We were pretty confident the jack-chi was what we were told she was. She looked just like one! But the Dorgi we were not sure. He has some corgi looking features and is long and thin but I had doubts. A google search for Dorgi produced no animal that looked like our Ben! I've owned the jack-chi for 6 years and ALWAYS wanted to know the truth about what she is. We adopted the dorgi for my husband 3 years ago and he didn't know such a test existed so when I told him about it a few weeks ago, he asked why we hadn't done it already! lol.

Anyway, I ordered the tests for $100 for both and they arrived in 3 days. The instructions say that you have to basically quarantine them for a couple hours, not letting them eat or lick anything so the sample is not contaminated and then take a small round q-tip/tooth brush looking thing and rub it around their gums above their teeth for 15 seconds let it dry for 5 minutes and send it back. I read reviews that gave tips on crating them or putting them in a spare bedroom for that quarantine time, ect but I knew our Dorgi would be a problem! He licks evvvverything constantly! I decided that since our dogs sleep with us I would put their tests on my nightstand and do it first thing in the morning so there would be no contamination of samples. They would have 8 hours of not eating drinking or licking a thing! Some reviewers made it seem hard to get an uncontaminated sample and said the lab came back and said it was unusable. I was nervous!

Well, I woke up at 3am to the dorgi licking me to go outside. LOL so I decided to go ahead and get the jack-chi sample as she was still adleep at the foot of the bed. I grabbed her swabs and woke her up and started rubbing. She probably didn't appreciate getting woken up like that! I tried to count to 15 as the instructions said but I only got to 5 on the first sample and 7 on the second. I let the dogs out and we all went back to sleep. When I woke up at 6:30am for work, Ben was still asleep so I grabbed his swabs and the same thing happened. He wouldn't tolerate the sample taking for more than 5 seconds! I was sure my samples would not be sufficient! But I had done what I could and I sent them in. That was Tuesday.

3 days later (Friday) I got an email saying that they had gotten them and the testing process had started. It said to expect results within 2 weeks. 7 days later, the following Friday around 6pm I checked my email and there were Bender's (dorgi) results. We were astonished! The PDF file was easy to read and had a family tree style diagram to clearly show us Ben's linage. We were astonished! Our dorgi was actually mostly made up of Australian Shepherd and Belgian Tervuren, the later being a breed we'd never even heard of. It had one whole line of ancestry that just said 'mixed breed' and when we scrolled down it said he was lowchen, shaffordshire bull terrier and collie and gave the percentages of each that made up that 'mixed breed' line.

All of a sudden when we looked at Bender, we saw a completely different dog! Things made much more sense!! The way he looks, why his eyes are colored the way they are, his personality, ect... it was enlightening!

But now I was anxious! Where were Hermione's results? Where was my confirmation telling me what I already knew? That Hermione was a Jack-chi? The next day, nothing came all day. It was the weekend, after all so I figured as much. I was sure I'd get them Monday but it was killing me! But then, as I laid down to go to sleep Saturday night I checked my email one last time on my iphone. There it was. Hermione's results were in. I shot out of bed and ran into the office to tell my husband and we huddled in front of my computer monitor at 11:30pm to open her PDF file. Again, I was shocked. I thought I knew my dog. I have an 'I <3 jack-chi's' tee shirt for crying out loud and the dog on the front of it looks JUST LIKE HERMIONE! But low and behold.... every single parent, grandparent and great grandparent of Hermione was a rat terrier. What I had on my hands was a full blooded rat terrier. At first I was actually disappointed, but Monday during some downtime at work I looked up the rat terrier and again... enlightenment. Everything started to make sense. She does look exactly like a rat terrier and her personality matches right up. The more I learned about this impressive breed the happier I got that I bought this test and found out the truth. I have always known I had an amazing animal on my hands, I mean Hermione single handedly (pawdedly?) turned my husband from a cat person to a dog person, but now here was proof that my dog really is something special :)I also know now what to looks for medically as she ages. The ailments that are common to her breed.

So in summery, DNA sample taking turned out to be a snap, from ordering it off amazon to getting my results took 13 and 14 days respectively and I believe the results to be 100% correct. I am extremely pleased with this service and will no doubt purchase it for every single dog I adopt in the future!

2.0 out of 5 stars NDA test done twice with different results, December 5, 2011
Robert Head (Jacksonville, FL, US) - See all my reviews
I was not satisfied with the DNA results from Wisdom Panel of my rescue dog so I bought another kit 6 months later and did it again. The results were almost completely different! Except for one breed out of seven listed, all the others were different this time. They are refunding my money. I will say though, that the second test seems more accurate, and I made sure I obtained the sample for the full 15 seconds this time. The rep said that could make all the difference. If you really want to know what your dog is, I recommend doing the test twice (I used different names for the dog). If the second comes back different, you can get a refund. If they are the same - congratulations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Wisdom Panel Mixed Breed DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
Got this for my girlfriend for her birthday. We always wondered exactly what her dog was. We had suspected it was chihuaha and pomeranian. This test confirmed it. Results were fairly quick and it arrived on time. Easy to do. No complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm floored!, March 9, 2011
My dog Paisley looks like a Doberman Pinscher. In fact, I rescued her from a Doberman rescue is Houston Texas when she was four months old. However, there were just a few things "off" about her. First, her fur was too thick, her head just a little too wide, her body just a little too small, and her markings just barely enough. Her temperment too, was just a little off. She has many of the headstrong Dobe traits, but then she loves to swim. Dobe's aren't known to love swimming...

Those who have seen Paisley remark that she MUST be "mostly" Doberman but something was just a little "off". So I gave in and bought Wisdom Panel Insights to figure out what she was mixed with. I was expecting it to say that she was at least 1/2 Doberman with some lab mixed in.

I was very, VERY wrong.

The results came back and I didn't believe it. At first. It essentially said she was 1/4 Flat-Coated Retriever, 1/4 Alaskan Malamute, and 1/4 Australian Cattle Dog (the other 1/4 came in as an unknown mixed breed all the way through the great grandparents).

I was floored. My DOBERMAN was really a Flat-Coated Retrieving Alaskan Cattle Dog! I thought it was nuts, until I compaired her pictures. Then it suddenly all made sense.

Her "Doberman" traits (like those powerful back legs and the shine on her too-long black coat, plus that non-dobe love for water) were atcually the Flat-Coated Retriever's traits (they're built similar), the "Doberman" tan markings and too-fluffy fur were from the Cattle Dog, her eyes and the chisled shape of her head (that was just a little TOO wide) from the Malamute. All these genes came together to make what looks, in all respects, very much like an undersized doberman that looks like she "might" be mixed, but it's impossible to pinpoint "what else may be in her".

I'm so glad that Insights gave me an "insight" so I can actually answer people when they say, "Well I see the doberman...is she mixed with something?"

Now I can answer:

"She is a Flat-Coated Retrieving Alaskan Cattle Dog." Smile, and walk off. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with the Results, January 25, 2010
Our puppy was a puppy mill rescue and the only thing that was known for sure was that he was half Yorkshire Terrier, but we couldn't figure out the other half. People would guess Chihuahua, Chinese Crested, Cairn Terrier, etc., so we bought this test to see what it would come back with. The results were 50% Yorkshire Terrier and 50% Chihuahua. There were no outlandish breeds, it just satisfied our curiosity. I would definitely recommend to any other curious dog owners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Biologist, November 27, 2011

The second thing I wanted to mention is with regards to how genotyping works. Essentially, the "testers" have positive controls. They run the DNA through something called PCR in order to search for markers, usually indicated by size. Dirty DNA can lead to bad bands, hard to reach bands, and in the long run, bad calls, which could be a problem for some people. The second thing is that the test only determines how much a dog is of a certain species. These means that if the dog turns out to be 25% beagle, this DOES NOT mean one of the grand parents was a 100% beagle. This means that your dog has 25% beagle in him, which could theoretically be possible if you have two half beagles breed. Also note that recessive genes carry through, so even though all the dogs they determined in your lineage are big dogs, this in no way means your dog can't be small or vice versa.

This test DOES NOT determine lineage... merely the higher percentages of DNA present in the animal. This also means that any breed that makes up less than app. 12.5% of your animal simply doesn't show up. So a true heinz 57 dog with 20 species of dog in it's genetic makeup would render no result. This also means that just because 50% of your dog is Great Dane, yet your dog looks like a poodle, doesn't necessarily mean the test failed, as you have 50% of your potentially dominant DNA unaccounted for from any number of breeds. Likewise, a dog could have a parent with 50% beagle and end up with essentially no beagle in them.

If you strongly disagree with the results of your test, I'd highly recommend that you call the company or amazon and demand a replacement test. If they refuse to offer one, then file a credit card dispute and get your money back however you can. If you retake the test and receive the same results, it might be about time to start reconsidering how you see your dog. If the results differ, you can always question them on the differing results and get to the source of "which one is right".

5.0 out of 5 stars Drumroll please!!!, July 28, 2011
So we adopted our handsome boy as a "Boxer x Bull Mastiff" 6 years ago. When he arrived, he had the front legs of a Bully, the fur of an Angora bunny, the backside of a boxer and the head of who knows what(possibly a black bear)!!! It was clear there was some of both, but what else??

So I finally broke down and bought the test. Drumroll please...we have ourselves a Boxer x Bull Mastiff!!! LOL. They also detected Bull Terrier, Norwegian Elkhound(there's the fur!!), Rat terrier, Yorkshire Terrier and Bichon(hmmm...maybe he ate one once?).

Honestly, it was pretty much what we expected and now I know where he gets that awesome fur and crazy undercoat that keeps me vaccuming 24/7!!

If you go into it knowing that if you have a bunch of mixes, you may not get a definitive result, then go for it. For $65, it's a lot of fun!! : )

Wisdom Panel Mixed Breed DNA Test Kit