4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
Published on May 16, 2012 by Steven

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
As far as MSGs or other additives the previous reviewer is wrong and is only trying to sell there product. I do not know why Amazon would allow such practices but my first hand experance is. I keep a 6 month stock of wise foods at all times. We have it for disaster emergency food but sometimes use it for a quick meal. They taste fine. No its not your mothers home cooking but they are as good as any hamberger helper or other simular products.They come 2 servings to to a pouch. I am an average eater and I find that a serving is plenty, no I'm not stuffed like Thanksgiving but its plenty to eat.Like with any food there will be some you like more than others. They are lightweight and I use them on all my backpacking and camping trips.Its always a good idea and very inexpensive to keep some emergency food on hand even if you think your not in a disaster area so find the food you like and keep some handy because if the time comes I'm not sharing mine. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, May 16, 2012
Steven (Stamford, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this product mostly as a test, as I am just starting to think about emergency preparedness. While I don't believe that non-everyday food is the way to go, nor a good investment, I was just too curious not to give this a try. I figured that if I didn't end up keeping this food for emergency reasons, I could at least use it while camping. The best way to prepare for emergency with food is to simply buy more of what you already eat and just cycle through it.

I have a couple of comments and questions about this product:

1) The shelf life claims to be 20 years, but I cannot tell EXACTLY what this means. Does the shelf life have anything to do with breaking the seal of the overall container or is it in reference to the individual packages inside? I opened the container. Does this mean that my shelf life has been shortened?

2) When I opened the main container I immediately smelled spices and food flavoring. I was expecting to smell nothing. This seemed to indicate that one or more of the individual packages was opened or at least punctured. They all seem to be intact, so perhaps the smell was sealed in during manufacture.

3) I am disappointed that each individual packet contains 4 SERVINGS! I was not expecting this. I was expecting 8 packets for 8 servings of Beef Stroganoff, for example. Instead you get 2 packets that contain 4 servings each. This is a disappointment for those intending to use these for camping... unless you are feeding a family.

4) I tried the Beef Stroganoff and it was adequate. I'm not really tempted to dig into the other packet, but I would certainly eat it again sometime in the future.

5) I am glad that Wise didn't pad this bucket with a disproportionate amount of cheaper "filler" food like oatmeal. Everything appears to be rather hearty except for the Tomato Basil soup which is the only questionable item.

The only thing that really makes this worth buying, in my mind, is the ridiculous shelf life. If that 20 years can be trusted, I *would* actually recommend the purchase in order to be certain that you've got an interesting source of calories around in an emergency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, March 16, 2012
For what it is, food stored for emergencies, it is great. I first received a free sample. (You can request one on Wise Foods' website.) So, I at least knew how one entree tasted. The alfredo pasta reminded me of Lipton noodle mixes. What it isn't, is the best tasting food or food I'll crave. What it is, is good tasting food that you can keep for an emergency for 25 years! The packaging seems very high quality; and the buckets are real easy to store and/or transport. Anyway best case scenerio, I'll end up with a year or two of food storage and my wife and I will be eating it in our retirement!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good taste but not a full meal - Portability is the word, June 19, 2012
Stefanie Evans "Stef" (Silver Spring, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
We have now tried all of the Wise Entrees and without a doubt they are all very tasty although most are also a bit salty. Some such as the Cheesy Lasagna and the Chili Macaroni are so good I would be happy to have them at work just for a quick easy meal. But that's the thing, these bags are really just one or two meals per bag at most. I have compiled the list of calories per meal below form the Wise Food Storage website.

Whats not listed on the site but only requires some basic math is the total calories per bag, as opposed to what they call a serving size. Simply put at 260 calories for a one cup serving of the Cheesy Lasagna as their numbers suggest I simply cant see this sufficing as a meal for anyone, not even a child. Now lets look at the total of 520 calories for the whole bag and this is starting to look more like a meal. Add to that some Wise fruit and vegetables three times a day and now we have a very good days menu.

My point is this. Assuming 2000 calories a day for me and 1800 for her. After crunching the total numbers for my wife and myself each of these "60 serving" buckets amount to about 30 real servings. Three servings a day times the two of us and we come to about 5 days of actual emergency food.

Where does that leave us? Well simply put it leaves us with two buckets of entrees plus one of the freeze dried fruit and one of the vegetables for a total of about 10ish days worth of emergency food.

All this assumes that we have no other food to eat. The fact is we also have a pantry of canned goods ranging from pineapple for vitamin C to Ravioli for fat and calories. All of which could be eaten right out of the can and is rotated weekly as we buy more and move the old to the kitchen.

So this begs the question "why not just skip the wise food and just go with the canned goods?" Weight is the answer. Many disasters will require rapid evacuation from your home. Most of these will not keep you away for more than a week. In this scenario the light weight and easily carried Wise Food Grab and Go buckets are far superior to the garbage bag full of whatever you could lug from the pantry. The name Grab and Go really says it all.

I would look at the actual calorie counts below and decide exactly how many your family would need for a strenuous week of survival after a natural disaster and base your purchase on that.

All calorie and serving size information is from the Wise Food Storage website.

Creamy Pasta and Veg. Rotini - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 2 - Calories per serving 210 - Total calories per bag 420

Cheesy Lasagna - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 2 - Calories per serving 260 - Total calories per bag 520

Teriyaki and Rice - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 280 - Total calories per bag 1120

Creamy Ala King and Rice - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 180- Total calories per bag 720

Pasta Alfredo - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 300 - Total calories per bag 1200

Savory Stroganoff - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 2 - Calories per serving 250 - Total calories per bag 500

Cheesy Macaroni - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 280 - Total calories per bag 1120

Chili Macaroni - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 2 - Calories per serving 250 - Total calories per bag 500

Hearty Tortilla Soup - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 150 - Total calories per bag 600

Tomato Basil Soup - Serving Size 1 cup - Servings per container 4 - Calories per serving 190 - Total calories per bag 760

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastes ok, but very misleading in terms of advertised ability to sustain one person..., April 26, 2012
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
I purchased a two bucket kit from this company. Upon reading the calorie contents of each kit, i realized that what they advertised as a 4 month supply of food for one person, was actually something more like a 1.8 month kit of food for one person.

If you do a quick search on how many calories one needs to have per day to live, you will see that it is right around 1200 plus or minus per day for a man or woman. The kits, state they have 120 servings each. One is breakfast items (120) and the other is more like stews etc. (120).

If you look at the per day total of calories between the breakfast and 2nd meal, it comes up to an average of about 490 calories per day.

One may be able to live on 490 calories per day for a little while, but very probably not even near 4 months, or even 2.

I contacted the company about this and they never replied.

Again, food is decent, but if one is buying a 2 month kit, the company should advertise as such, and price it appropriately. Example: Costco sells a true 1 month bucket for 99 dollars. If you buy four of those, you have a true 4 months kit with around 1200 plus calories per day.

The kit I bought from Wise food, cost $430.00... for a 2 month kit... buyer beware.

John

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergency Survival, August 7, 2011
Several critical parameters are met by this product: 1. longevity (it can be stored at room temperature for up to 20 years); and 2. Ease of use (simply add water). The cost per meal, although reasonable, is expensive compared to food prepared at home for long term storage. All-in-all worth the investment to prepare for short term emergency.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still wondering about the package dates and pictures?, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
When you look at the product photos you see one of two pictures: a white bucket with a red and white label or a grey bucket. Look closely and you will see that the label itself either has the "W" above the title "Wise Company" or the label has "Wise" above the above the "W". Prior to ordering the product I inquired of Wise which of the products were newer? David Ortolani from Wise told me in an email that the white buckets are older. The Manufacture date on the bucket I received was located on the bottom of the bucket: 02/08/2012. My order was filed by Helton & Co. Inc. This I believe to be the largest seller as the product was shipped by Amazon through their supply-chain facilities. I guess right off the bat you don't want to buy storage food that has been in storage for a long time! The product was well packed and the free shipping a bonus. I never heard back from David when I inquired about the free sample, the bucket is sealed and I will leave it that way but will follow up and purchase a sample and leave a comment there. I'm not a "prepper" but can see the common sense in having some genuine emergency food on hand. I really don't see how extreme prepping will save you from a tsunami, earthquake, fukushima, new orleans flooding etc... but all the same want a month on hand for family. I thought that I would share the information Wise shared with me. If I had any suggestion it would be to include a sample package with the initial purchase. I mean toss a package in with the bucket~ in a cool dry place I intend to eventually get four buckets with credit card reward programs redeemable via Amazon. All in all ok with the purchase and the transaction with Amazon, but inquire before you buy if you are wondering about the labels also.

2.0 out of 5 stars Survival Food..not much else, November 16, 2012
Bought this because it was a bargain. Now I see why. The package arrived on time, and when I opened the lid on the bucket, there was dried food powder all over the inside of the bucket and the other packages. I inspected every package thoroughly and none were broken or damaged. So the food powder is from the manufacturing/ packaging process. Poor Quality Control... Strike one.

Then I noticed that the entrees are all vegetarian. There is NO mention of this on the Amazon Listing or on the product packaging. Apparently, there are meat AND vegetarian entrees, but they don't bother to tell you which you're getting. Be sure you check before you order.. Misleading listing/ packaging... Strike two.

Decided to try one out, the Chili(No Meat) Macaroni.. The texture was odd..not bad, but odd; about the texture of pudding.. But the taste was horrible.. It took a LOT of hot sauce to make it manageable, but I still ended up throwing it away.. Strike three.

All in all, its survival food, nothing more nothing less. It will be the last thing I eat before I starve to death...

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried 4 meals so far. FUNKY taste, wouldn't give to my kids, December 23, 2011
Gene K. (Lehi, Ut USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
Opened this up yesterday and tried 4 of the meals with some of my coworkers (3 other men in my office area). All of them said it was either not good or not edible and the majority of the meals had a chemical aftertaste. I plan on returning this as it isn't worth keeping, if I was given it for free I would keep it but that is about it. Also I am VERY concerned with the shelf life claim of 25 years. These cheap thin plastic bags ARE NOT good quality mylar bags which s what you need for real shelf life. The company says to store at 50 degrees for best shelf life. Who in the world is going to have that capability? People saying "sure this isn't gourmet but hey its cheap per serving" are probably employees of Wise Foods. Seeing all of these compromises (and the long ingredient dec) makes me question the company who makes this. They are clearly trying to be the Ford Pinto of food storage and are doing a good job of it.

Here are the meal by meal reviews:

Teryaki with Rice: Slight chemical aftertaste, rice was the largest item in the meal, the carrot pieces and the fake meat were smaller than the grains of rice which seems kind of crazy. Overall 2 stars out of 5 stars rating here.

Pasta Alfredo: Rank/rancid smell of milk. Manufacture date of 11/08/2011 (less than 2 months old) so it is not old product. Strong chemical taste, noodles were nice and long, not something you see often in emergency food. Overall star ranking of 2.5 stars out of 5.

Chili Macaroni: Again a funny chemical taste, not as strong as the Pasta Alfredo. Sauce has a very tomato-ey base which I thought was not right for a Chili Mac like I have had from competitors. This meal did seems to struggle to break apart and mix in well. I had several bites where clumps of dry sauce (which hadnt reconstituted) overpowered your mouth.

Savory Stroganoff: No real chemical aftertaste here. Very runny which is kind of surprising considering stroganoffs are typically very hearty. Flavor wasn't bad but wasn't good either. I have had MUCH better beef stroganoffs from other food companies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ha!, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Wise Company Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit (Sports)
60 servings? Not!! Maybe 2 servings per package. That means a total of 30 servings per container. My 6 year old ate 3/4 of one bag. With that in mind, your actually looking at roughly 20 servings. Not very economical when anyone can buy a large can of soup for $1.75 which is ready to eat out of the can, doesn't require boiling water, is better tasting, and doesn't use up your limited water reserves. Hey Wise, maybe you should drop your price just a bit?

Rate and Discover Movies