5.0 out of 5 stars A Stellar (And Award Winning) Season For Australian's Hit Crime Series, February 22, 2012
The fascinating television import "Underbelly" finally gets a U.S. distribution, and it's about time! I first became aware of "Underbelly" when I read that it was Australia's answer to "The Sopranos." Since that first comparison, I've heard the same point made countless times. To be frank, other than the fact that they are two adult series set in the criminal underworld, I don't think that generalized statement is very apt or has much bearing on whether or not you'll enjoy this show. If you are expecting a rich "Sopranos" type narrative and continuing storyline, this isn't quite going to fulfill your expectations. But that doesn't make it any less intriguing. The general tone of "Underbelly" is a bit more lurid. The show itself has much more of a docudrama feel, recreating significant true events in Australia's criminal history complete with plenty of gratuitous nudity and violence. With edgy camera work, quick cut editing, and a propulsive soundtrack--this is a show that aims at getting in your face. And for the most part, it succeeds. One of my favorite elements of the show is that each season is its own unique entity with new characters and charting a new story. Heck, it's become somewhat of a franchise with four complete 13 episode seasons and a series of TV movies.

War on the Streets (2008) 5 stars: This series picked up Australian Film Institute awards for Best Television Drama, Best Director, Best Lead Actor (Gyton Grantley), and Best Lead Actress (Kat Stewart). This story arc concerns the rise and fall of Carl Williams, an ambitious hood who rose to great heights within Melbourne's criminal underworld. Grantley is captivating as Williams who is seduced further and further to the darkside and becomes embroiled in a gangland war lasting ten years between 1995 and 2004. Stewart plays the Bonnie to his Clyde and it's a partnership your not likely to forget. It's not perfect by any means, the task force is a bit too inept for my taste, but Grantley and Stewart light up the screen. They are fantastic! KGHarris, 2/12.

4.0 out of 5 stars The other Oz, March 12, 2013
Australian TV doesn't get much hype but this gritty crime drama is just as good as anything coming from the US or the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, October 20, 2012
Buy it! You will love it. I have seen them all. One of my favorite shows of recent memory. Just as good as The Wire or Boardwalk Empire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crack for the binge viewer, February 25, 2014
I haven't been this riveted in ages! Amazon made its money back on this big time! Just make sure you have blocks of time set aside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 15, 2014
My favorite types of tv shows are darker and gritty and tend to revolve around crime and mystery. I also like watching flicks from other countries. For the most part when watching foreign items I have stuck to watching films (besides a few BBC shows like Luther). I saw a review for this that was compelling and so have watched the first season so far. I thought it was fantastic! The fact that it is based on a true story is all the more appealing. Of course I had to google some of the real people that were portrayed in this film - they chose actors who looked similar to the real folks. The first season revolves around a "gang war" from around 1995 to around 2005 in Australia. One of the newspaper articles I read had interviewed a police office on the task force and the officer said something to the effect that what happened between these two gangs couldn't have been more over-the-top.
If you like shows like Sopranos, The Wire, and Luther you'll enjoy this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Aussie TV show, January 25, 2014
I first saw this in Australia when I was there on vacation. I liked it so much that I bought the whole series on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazon has the wrong year for the underbelly mob wars, October 24, 2014
The events took place in 1995 until around 2004 and Carl Williams was killed in prison in 2010. In the details they have that the events started in 1985.

5.0 out of 5 stars addicting, April 15, 2013
I came across this series by accident and I am now addicted to it . It is one of the best series I have seen in years.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this series, October 20, 2012
High quality program. I loved all the series so far. Excellent script and acting. Very enjoyable. You can tell lots of time and money went into making this.

Wise Monkeys