Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wise Monkeys
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

The fascinating television import "Underbelly" finally gets a U.S. distribution, and it's about time! I first became aware of "Underbelly" when I read that it was Australia's answer to "The Sopranos." Since that first comparison, I've heard the same point made countless times. To be frank, other than the fact that they are two adult series set in the criminal underworld, I don't think that generalized statement is very apt or has much bearing on whether or not you'll enjoy this show. If you are expecting a rich "Sopranos" type narrative and continuing storyline, this isn't quite going to fulfill your expectations. But that doesn't make it any less intriguing. The general tone of "Underbelly" is a bit more lurid. The show itself has much more of a docudrama feel, recreating significant true events in Australia's criminal history complete with plenty of gratuitous nudity and violence. With edgy camera work, quick cut editing, and a propulsive soundtrack--this is a show that aims at getting in your face. And for the most part, it succeeds. One of my favorite elements of the show is that each season is its own unique entity with new characters and charting a new story. Heck, it's become somewhat of a franchise with four complete 13 episode seasons and a series of TV movies.

War on the Streets (2008) 5 stars: This series picked up Australian Film Institute awards for Best Television Drama, Best Director, Best Lead Actor (Gyton Grantley), and Best Lead Actress (Kat Stewart). This story arc concerns the rise and fall of Carl Williams, an ambitious hood who rose to great heights within Melbourne's criminal underworld. Grantley is captivating as Williams who is seduced further and further to the darkside and becomes embroiled in a gangland war lasting ten years between 1995 and 2004. Stewart plays the Bonnie to his Clyde and it's a partnership your not likely to forget. It's not perfect by any means, the task force is a bit too inept for my taste, but Grantley and Stewart light up the screen. They are fantastic! KGHarris, 2/12.
on August 30, 2015
One of my favorite series of all time, with Season 2 being my top fave. I wish Amazon would acquire the rights to the other seasons, but some are available on YouTube.

This is a great series for fans of The Sopranos, True Detective, or Boardwalk Empire.
on February 15, 2014
My favorite types of tv shows are darker and gritty and tend to revolve around crime and mystery. I also like watching flicks from other countries. For the most part when watching foreign items I have stuck to watching films (besides a few BBC shows like Luther). I saw a review for this that was compelling and so have watched the first season so far. I thought it was fantastic! The fact that it is based on a true story is all the more appealing. Of course I had to google some of the real people that were portrayed in this film - they chose actors who looked similar to the real folks. The first season revolves around a "gang war" from around 1995 to around 2005 in Australia. One of the newspaper articles I read had interviewed a police office on the task force and the officer said something to the effect that what happened between these two gangs couldn't have been more over-the-top.
If you like shows like Sopranos, The Wire, and Luther you'll enjoy this one too.
on October 7, 2015
This series tell a story of actual events that happened and does it w/o apologies. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne but didn't have any recollection of these events and am enjoying learning about this 10 years later.
on March 12, 2013
Australian TV doesn't get much hype but this gritty crime drama is just as good as anything coming from the US or the UK.
on October 20, 2012
Buy it! You will love it. I have seen them all. One of my favorite shows of recent memory. Just as good as The Wire or Boardwalk Empire.
on February 25, 2014
I haven't been this riveted in ages! Amazon made its money back on this big time! Just make sure you have blocks of time set aside.
on March 10, 2016
I never watched this!! You need to give me credit!! I wanted the movie "Barbarians at the Gate". James Garner starred in. Please give me my credit because your title of the movie was misleading.
on October 24, 2014
The events took place in 1995 until around 2004 and Carl Williams was killed in prison in 2010. In the details they have that the events started in 1985.
on January 25, 2014
I first saw this in Australia when I was there on vacation. I liked it so much that I bought the whole series on Amazon.