Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on June 20, 2013
It is such a relief to come upon those increasingly rare elements in contemporary writing - honesty and authenticity. Having delighted in Susie's wonderful, humourous and colourful tales of life in France, I was not prepared to be transported to such an unfamiliar destination, exploring the joys and pain of her early life in Kenya.

It was rewarding and refreshing to be taken back to a world that so more real than the synthetic one we appear to be increasingly sucked into.

Susie's bright-eyed vision of the world around her shines through her writing. The feel of Kenya, the warmth and diversity of the characters that populated her life during that time, are all vividly conveyed. Through exploring the narrative of her earlier life, she helps the reader experience and remember the changes in the ways we all live and think, and helps remind us of what is important in life - people, relationships and place.

Often a very challenging book, but all the more rewarding for that. A great read.
on June 18, 2013
Like some of the other reviewers, I have read Susie's amusing and well written travel books and was avid for another book from this talented, witty author.

Once started, I couldn't put the book down. Susie writes about her childhood so well and with such painful honesty, I wanted to reach out and hug her or come over to France for a coffee and croissant! There are so many people who let her down and who should say sorry to her, it is a generous title in that respect.

I loved hearing about her life in Kenya, all the interesting and varied characters that she brings to life so well, and most of all her love for and relationship with Cinderalla. Knowing she had this beautiful relaitonship comes as such a relief.

A great read, I thoroughly recommend it.
on July 7, 2013
Well written, and fascinating, this memoir is captivating. However it may leave you feeling depressed. My heart breaks for the author and I am left infuriated with her parents and her seeming feeling that she is at fault in so many situations in her life. She takes full ownership over situations where blame should definitely not fall soley on her shoulders. In purchasing this book I thought the title was toungue in cheek and that the author would come out triumphnt with a 'sorry I'm not sorry.' I was wrong. The book ends with a depressing list of regrets. Simply, I just feel badly for this author and wish she had had loving, stable parents, or even people in her life; especially as she was growing up.
on April 10, 2014
A serious biography explaining that we often can't go back and apologize for things which have happened in the past. We did the
best we could at the time. Hind sight is truly more reasonable and enlightened. A thought-provoking nove.
on February 27, 2014
The epilogue was a STUNNER. I could not put the book down. Not your ordinary memoir full of whining. I found this unforgettable and wishing it had not ended. Compelled me to think of my past and my own family history. I can only say terrific and that does not give it justice.
I am not going to tell the story, but comment on the the fortitude of the writer, and then the epilogue, the gracious ending. It is almost like a 12 step meeting!
on May 8, 2015
Not so good.
on February 18, 2014
I really didn't understand this book until I was almost finished with it. I have no idea why i bought it, as I only read fiction as a rule. The discriptions in this book are amazing. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book, but I completly misunderstood the title. I highly recomend this book, but it is not a happy story.
on October 7, 2014