5.0 out of 5 stars Wishbone: The Slobbery Hound, June 10, 2009
Auburn Niewiadomski (Anacortes, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Well we all know the great detective Sherlock Holmes and it's great to see this story on wishbone. This episode's book is Hound of the Baskervilles (Written by Arthur Conan Doyle) and this is another well done episode.

Sir Henry is scared of the Baskerville's family curse: death by hound. So Sherlock Holmes and Watson need to solve this case before it's too late. Also in this episode a dog is on the loose in Oakdale and is tearing apart the place and guess who gets the blame? Wishbone! Wishbone has to find the dog that's caused the mess or Wishbone will end up in the slammer.

This is one of my favorite Wishbone episodes because I actually like the Sherlock Holmes stories and it's great to see this story on Wishbone. So get this episode of Wishbone and read the Sherlock Holmes books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars What happned to it?, October 21, 2003
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I loved the wishbone TV show! I watched it every day! Not only was it educational but they tie in between famous novels and present day situations were marvolous. I really recomend it for anyone who likes this type of television!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishbone, January 25, 2009
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I also watched Wishbone when I was little and I have a degree in English Literature as well. My nephews watch it now and I think the show is excellent. Of course the show is more simple than the novels it is based upon! But, that is not a bad thing because it is for kids. I think it is incredibly clever and it introduces children to great works of literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars WISHBONE'S SHERLOCK BRILLIANT, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed the WISHBONE SERIES until it was mentioned in the Season 2 SHERLOCK commentary for the Hound of the Baskervilles' episode although it is referred to as a Jack Russell wearing a deerstalker and that the show was brilliant. I was dismayed to find THE SLOBBERY HOUND only available on VHS but I ordered it and have watched it numerous times. There is something fascinating about Wishbone's questioning of the doctor at the beginning of the story and the fact that even the shooting of the Hound at the end is accurate yet handled with discretion.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Grew Up Watching Wishbone..., December 31, 2008
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I grew up watching Wishbone on the Public Broadcasting Network. I always enjoyed the episodes and how they could give the basis of the plot without being too complicated for young children to understand. For me, that was a tremendous asset since I never understood the plot of the BBC or Masterpiece Theatre classics when I was seven or eight years of age.

The Wishbone episodes provided me with the opportunity to understand the major focuses of the greatest works of English and American literature (although some episodes include a work of literature from ancient Rome, Greece, or Africa.) Some of MY most memorably episodes are: "Pantin' in the Opera", "A Bone of Contention," "Paw Princes of Thieves" (released on DVD), and "Dog Days out West" (released VHS).

This Wishbone episode is relatively interesting (at least for a child who enjoys literature). However, like all Wishbone episodes, it is geared towards children. As a 19-year-old English and Political Science major, the episode (and all Wishbone episodes) seem very simple.

For example, the only characters included in the Wishbone episode are Sherlock Holmes (played by Wishbone), Dr. John Watson, Sir Henry Baskerville, Stapleton, Stapleton's sister (i.e. his wife), Mr. Barrymore (although not by name), and Dr. Mortimer. Back in Oakdale, for the modern-day comparison, Joe, Sam, and David, must clear Wishbone from the allegation that he is knocking over garbage cans, chewing up lawn furniture, etc.

In short, I enjoyed Wishbone episodes as a child since they acquainted me with great works of literature (especially the pronunciation of names). As an adult, the episodes appear very short and elementary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great video for all ages., August 28, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] (VHS Tape)
MY two granddaughters absolutely love this video, they never tire of watching it. I let them pick out two videos whenever they spend the night and one of them is always Wishbone the slobbering hound. I highly recommend this for good wholesome fun.

Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS]
Wishbone: Slobbery Hound [VHS] by Larry Brantley (VHS Tape - 1996)
Used & New from: $3.87