5.0 out of 5 stars spectacular sequel!
WARRIOR AND WITCH is the stunning sequel to DOPPELGANGER. If one hasn't read DOPPELGANGER, be forewarned that the very plot of WARRIOR AND WITCH is a spoiler for DOPPELGANGER....

Published on November 22, 2006 by Deborah Wiley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, until the end
Warrior and Witch picks up seamlessly from where Doppelganger leaves off. And the story is just as compelling, until the end. I was left with the feeling that this book should have had at least one more chapter, but the author got tired of the story so just slapped an ending on it. The status of key characters was left in ambiguity for no compelling reason, and a major...
Published on June 8, 2007 by Michael Sheldon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars spectacular sequel!, November 22, 2006

Mirei's merger of her Hunter and witch halves, previously named Mirage and Miryo, has caused a great rift in the witch community. Some, such as the Void Ray Prime Satomi, proclaim Mirei as the future when all doppelgangers and witches can be reunited as one whole person rather than the witch killing the doppelganger in order to control her magic. Others, however, see Mirei's very existence as an abomination and are willing to sacrifice all to destroy her. Mirei's strength in her newly found magic will be tested as war erupts within the witch community.

Marie Brennan proves once again that she is a master at weaving a compelling story. WARRIOR AND WITCH is a thought-provoking fantasy tale populated with characters who are neither wholly good nor evil but are instead placed in tough situations in which there are no easy answers. The philosophical debate over the splitting of the two halves of the soul also explodes in this sequel but the storyline is not bogged down in this but rather enhanced by it. The action and the metaphysical aspects are cleverly interwoven and unfold gradually through Ms. Brennan's beautiful prose.

WARRIOR AND WITCH is not completely a stand alone novel. While Marie Brennan does an excellent job at describing all that the reader needs to know in this sequel, one cannot truly appreciate the split within the witches without having experienced the struggles documented in DOPPELGANGER. A very helpful glossary is included at the back of the book that assists with keeping the multitude of characters and the various ruling titles of the witches straight as it could be overwhelming otherwise.

WARRIOR AND WITCH demonstrates the heart of what good fantasy truly is meant to be. Surpassing even her superb DOPPELGANGER in ingenuity, Marie Brennan shows what a gift she has. This reviewer is already eagerly anticipating what next adventure Ms. Brennan has in store for her readers. WARRIOR AND WITCH is highly recommended and easily one of the best fantasy novels published this year!

COURTESY OF CK2S KWIPS AND KRITIQUES

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book until the end, February 3, 2010
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the first book in this series and this one I found even more enjoyable. It was one of those books that you just can't put down because you have to know what happens next. The mythology and the world that Brennan has created consumed me during the time I was reading it. However, the ending left me wondering if a chapter or two hadn't gone missing. There's this great build-up to this war that is about to happen and the first physical attack has just happened. And then the next chapter (the epilogue) states more or less that it's over and it's almost as if it never happened at all. I found it not only to be a little confusing, but wondered if the author just lost steam towards the end. But I think my greatest suspicion is that some chapters got dropped from the final printing, because that's exactly how it read. I even went back to look at page numbers to make sure I hadn't accidentally missed any pages during my reading.

But I still give it four stars, because up to that point, it was a great read. I don't typically enjoy fantasy, but this series held my interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequel!, October 13, 2006
I've been waiting for this one ever since I read Brennan's first book, Doppelganger, and it was worth the wait.

Sequels aren't easy to write, but Brennan did a wonderful job. Everything in Warrior & Witch flows out of the events of Doppelganger. The main character, Mirei, has overturned centuries of tradition and religious belief, discovered a new kind of magic, and begun a revolution in how witches and doppelgangers are raised. Unfortunately, not everyone is happy about these changes.

W&W sees the witches of Starfall turning against themselves, with Mirei racing to rescue the other doppelgangers from those who would destroy them as abominations. But not all of those doppelgangers are so eager to be rescued, or to lose their individuality. We also learn more about the witches' culture, including the nature of the mysterious Cousins. Mirei explores the limits of Void magic, as well as the duality of her newly-merged self.

One of the things that most impresses me about Brennan's writing is her honesty. She has created a fascinating world, and she refuses to shy away from some of the uglier implications of that world. In her first book, the ritual murder of (soulless) infants was a natural outgrowth of the religious beliefs and magical rules of that world. In book two, she continues to write with that same courage. Some terrible things happen, not because the author wants to get an easy, knee-jerk reaction from the readers, but because they must happen. Because the characters in this world are desperate, and it's not just the "evil" characters who sometimes cross the line. Life is rarely as simple as black and white, and Brennan does a masterful job of capturing that messy complexity. I love her characters, both for their courage and for their flaws.

There were one or two moments where I was thrown out of the book. A plot thread that seems to disappear for more than half the book before popping up again ... a bit of foreshadowing that felt a little too heavy-handed for me ... but I'm picking nits here. Brennan's first book was good. This one's even better.

Sadly, I'm told there are no immediate plans for a third book in the series. But on the bright side, I've also heard the author is hard at work on a different project. I can't wait to read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars good story, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
The characters deal with both supernatural and average human problems, and deal with them in their own way. I really enjoyed the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed reading this, June 15, 2013
The idea of a doppleganger for a witch was a very original idea in my opinion. This novel was very entertaining and engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
It was almost two years since I read Warrior and couldn't remember the story. Once I began reading it all came back to me. Very happy that I ordered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling in love all over again, May 14, 2012
Miss Ani Rae (You don't need to know...stalkers) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
I read Warrior quite fast and was so glad when I had Witch at the ready. It picks up where Warrior leaves off, giving you insight into how things have been since the end of Warrior. It delves deeper into the dopplegangers and Marie Brennan creates new characters and brings back some old ones as well. I fell in love with Witch just as I have with Warrior and am pleased that the sequel didn't suck like some tend to do. I would highly suggest you read this duology because it packs a punch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
It's the type of book that you can't wait to get to the end of to see what happens, but then when you do you're a bit bummed because, well, you've reached the end of the book. I really enjoyed both Warrior & Witch and would highly recommend both books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in love with this world, February 3, 2011
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
You'd think it'd be difficulty reading about a character that was once two people but is now one person and retain both minds, but it was actually not confusing at all. I don't even know if I can explain it properly, but I'll try, its not that Mirie has two voices speaking in her head but that she retains both women memories and histories.

Miryo and Mirage at the end of Doppelganger had successfully found a way to become one person again, immediately becoming the only witch who could achieve void magic and although in the end it seemed everything turned out OK Warrior and Witch shows the consequences of both females' actions. As the synopsis says not everyone agrees that Mirie should live or that the tradition of killing doppelganger children should be discontinued and this results in the division of The Primes which almost instantly results in a war.

Warrior and Witch really showed the different inner struggles of the human mind and the test of loyalty and bonds. This series has an excellent balance of plot and character development and these are the stories I love the most.

If Doppelganger made me interested in the world Marie Brennan created then this book really made me fall in love with it. By the end I was wishing for another book not caring who it was about as long as it took place in the same world. So much more was revealed in this sequel and I can't help but wonder what else there is to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars You know what.... I liked this book., December 4, 2010
Mark Grant (Wiesbaden, Germany, duty in Afhanistan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch (Doppelganger) (Mass Market Paperback)
I gave Warrior a 5 star rating, I give Witch a 5 star rating too. My comments on Witch are much the same as I gave for Warrior. I liked the story line. I can not and will not complain about the story line - I thought it was wonderful, I rally enjoyed the book whether totally original or not it was a good read and one I enjoyed.
While the honorific titles were confusing and one must often wonder if the reader is pronouncing the names correctly - it is often such as thus with fantasy type stories. YOU just have to get through it and enjoy the story and not let that become a detractor. Now, maintain that correct grammar doesn't always make for the most readable story. My example again is the use of "former and latter" and the use of "foci" instead of the less correct but more readable "focuses." True, grammatically correct, but to me as a reader they break up the smooth flow of the story. From a personal standpoint I have always found the use of "former and latter" and also "foci" irksome to hear and to read. Nevertheless I got through the story and at the end I can honestly say that it was a good story and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy stories. Good job, Ms. Brennan. I look forward to reading MIDNIGHT NEVER COME.
Review by Mark Grant, Author of Blood of Scotland.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa62e4648)

Witch (Doppelganger)
Witch (Doppelganger) by Marie Brennan (Mass Market Paperback - August 1, 2008)
$7.99 $7.19