Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 19, 2013
Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz 5 stars ★ and a favorite ♥

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I don't often read paranormal fiction. Witches of East End has it's paranormal - from witches to vampires, zombies, gods and goddesses. But this has a good plot. Really well written with some mystery to it.

The beginning was a little slow to start, but the short chapters I think helped pick up the pace. It was nice to have each chapter from a different point of view of the Beauchamp women (Joanna, Ingrid and Freya). I liked how this had more than just a plot of a family of witches who have been banned from using witch craft. This was very sexual but not stepping into erotica and I liked that.

The three Beauchamp women are all immortal witches. Their background was both mysterious and intriguing. They have lived back before the Salem Witch Trial Days, so they have a long life-story to tell and I wanted to hear more about their past. Throughout the book, Melissa de la Cruz gives little hints of the three women's past and I think it was good that there was a mystery to who they were. Each witch has a special "talent" (as they liked to say). It's hard to pin point who my favorite character was because I liked them all. My favorite male character would of course be Killian Gardiner though. Loved him the most.

I felt the ending was a bit rushed. It was good. And Melissa did a good job in quickly explaining some myths and such. The Epilogue chapter wasn't much of an "epilogue" but more a sneak peak to the next book in the series. I had already decided that I'll be reading the series, so I thought that sneak peak to book 2 was nice.

A note about the Lifetime show: It's so far a good show that I'm addicted to. The show has changed up a few things but I like it none the less.
on November 21, 2013
I’ve been watching the Witches of East End on lifetime and recently learned it’s a book. So of course when the option came up to read a witch book I jumped at it. The book revolves around three witches Joanna, Freya and Ingrid living in North Hampton. They had made a deal to no longer practice magic anymore they were living just like everyone else. Yet after thousands of years it’s gotten harder to keep up their side of the deal. It’s not like they use their magic to hurt people who’s going to really know if they help a few people out.

As each of them is tested in their own ways they begin to use their magical gifts to help others. Freya is your party girl working at the local pub, Ingrid is working at the library and Joanna is taking care of the house and Tyler. While the girls are young their mother Joanna is in her sixty’s but she feels as young as the girls. If one of the girls was to accidentally pass away than Joanna would become young and pregnant with her daughter. After all immortality does have its benefits. Ingrid sets up shop on her lunch breaks at the library using her gift to help people as well as save her library. Freya uses her gift at work making a love potion, and Joanna fixes a burned pie in front of Tyler. Yet not all of their help is reciprocated when things start to go wrong the women are blamed.

I think the characters are interesting in. This is my first book by the author but I’ve heard that Freya is in her Blue Bloods series so I feel like I missing out on her. I think Ingrid is my favorite because she’s willing to risk it all to save her library which is what I would do if I was here. I wanted to love them but I didn’t they had their moments but for the most part I wasn’t able to connect with any of them.

The idea is also captivating very Practical Magic but the story just doesn’t flow along smoothly. Unfortunately I found myself losing interest right away but kept on plugging along hoping the story would pick up. I’m not sure if I just had to high of expectations or if the story just falls short. If I hadn’t been so determined to finish the book I’m afraid it would have made it onto my DNF shelf but I believe every book deserves a fair chance. I think part of the problem was that we kept bouncing between the women and that there was so much information to a point of overload. I’ve not read a lot of witch books but this one isn’t my favorite. I’ve not read anything by the author before but I still want to check out her other series.
VINE VOICEon June 4, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Melissa De La Cruz's new series was written as adult fiction, but it is a great way to get fans of the Blue Blood's series to start reading more advanced books. Witches of East End is the first book in the Beauchamp series. While it is a separate series from the Blue Bloods, a few of our friendly vampires and their human companions make an appearance in this story. I really like the connection to the former series, especially since you don't have to know about the Blue Bloods... you will just enjoy the connection if you have read the former series.

Joanna and her daughters, Ingrid and Freya, are witches. Unfortunately, they are restricted witches. After Salem, the Council has had them on restriction; now they not allowed to perform magic. Joanna is a conjurer, and she can bring people back from the dead. Ingrid can predict the future and her charms can help a variety of issues. Freya is a potion maker working as a bartender; her specialty is romance and relationships. They live in the sleepy town of North Hampton as average women, but their true nature lies right beneath the surface. Slowly they become more and more bold with their magic, tired of the Council's restrictions.

For a while, the magic works fine. The townsfolk know the Beauchamps are different, but they don't question how different until things start going wrong. When a young girl goes missing, Freya and her potions are blamed. When the mayor hangs himself with a knot eerily similar to one of Ingrid's charms, his wife blames Ingrid. And when a friend Joanna saved from the afterlife comes back strange and different, it is clear Joanna may have done something wrong in saving him. These instances combined with mysterious illnesses in town and a deadly substance poisoning the water just offshore make the people of North Hampton turn to the witches with fingers pointed. Now the women must get to the bottom of the mysterious evil that is haunting their sleepy home... before something like Salem happens again.

This was a really great new start for De La Cruz. The book was written for adult audiences, but it is written in much of the same language as the author's YA series. There are a few intimate scenes that some might be concerned about giving to a younger student, but there are only a couple, and they are relatively mild. For an adult book, they are completely tame, but it might be a tad more intimate than some would feel comfortable giving to a young adult. I would have no qualms about giving this book to anyone in upper high school. Besides the occasional intimate scene, the language and content is very approachable for a younger reader.

The beauty of this story is not only the fact that it can appeal to a wide range of readers, but its complex story telling. While it seems to be a simple story about witches, there is so much more tied into it. Norse mythology makes an appearance, along with Norse God Odin, his wife Frigg, and their sons, Balder and Loki. The connection is surprising, but done with style and grace. This story has a multiple levels that will keep the readers enticed and never bored. There is too much going on to put the book down! My favorite part is that all these worlds, the worlds of witches, Gods, vampires, and much more, all come together just outside our own world of realization. All this time, just under our noses, are these amazing, and sometimes scary, creatures and beings! This was an amazing start to a new series, and I can't wait for the next installment.
on July 24, 2014
Entertaining enough that I wanted to know how it ended but ultimately unsatisfying. The characters, many of whom were supposed to be hundreds of years old, often behaved like naive teenagers. Suspense was often created by simply moving on to another topic rather than by creating tension. Also, the magic seemed to be used as a plotting convenience more than a foundation of the story world.
on January 17, 2015
I got this book because I love the show and since they discontinued the series after the second season I figured I'd give the book series a try. I wasn't happy with how different the book is. Not saying it's bad, just wasn't what I'd expected. I wont continue reading the series.
on December 15, 2013
I read this book because of the TV show, and while I liked one or two characters and the ideas incorporated about the Vanir, I didn't really like it over all.
Warning, there are a few spoilers in the next paragraph.
Maybe it was her style, but half of the book just seemed so pointless and slow. I was over a third of the way into the book before anything started happening. A lot of the girls' invastigations and attempts to stop the evil didn't make any sense, and it was like they weren't even trying in the last third of the book. They took so many breaks from their problems it was like they didn't want them solved when it would be so easy to just go looking for the zombie. Although that might have made it worse, because the climax where Freya orders Loki to stop and go home was just a letdown.
Freya's relationships with Killian and Bran looked really shallow to me, and for all of Freya's declarations that she loved them, it didn't really read like it. Joanna's declaration about her husband not actually leaving them was just bad. They spent three pages on it and then moved on like it never happened just so that they could have someone to explain the restriction being lifted.
As someone who hasn't read the Blue Bloods books, I didn't really see the point of Mimi being in there either. To me it just looked like the author was throwing a bone to her existing fan base, it had very little to do with the overall story and slowed it down even further.
I might read the other books, because again, I did like the underlying plot, I just didn't like how it was written or handled in a lot of ways.
on January 8, 2015
When this first came out I didn't think I would like it. I'm more into vampire stories rather than witches. But I watched the first season on TV and I became very interested. The series on TV and the book are different enough that you can enjoy both. The story is very compelling and I really enjoyed it and intend on reading the entire series. Melissa is a great author and I enjoy all of her work. Some characters from the Blue Bloods series are also in this novel briefly.
I really love De La Cruz' Blue Blood series, it is what made me fall in love from the very beginning and when I saw that she was writing a new series and this time about witches, I was very excited. Anyone that knows me knows that witches are one of my most favorite supernatural beings to read about, they just always have been. Combine that with an author that I already love and you have a win win situation.

I fell in love with the Beauchamp women after first meeting Freya in the Blue Bloods series and she definitely made me want to read the series even more. After reading the prequel and meeting Ingrid, I knew I would be hooked, I wasn't wrong.

Just like De La Cruz put a twist on the myth of vampires in her Blue Blood series, De La Cruz doesn't disappoint with her twists on how witches came about. I adore mythology as much as I adore witches and to have to two combined was fabulous.

I have to say, I saw a bunch of mixed reviews on this series and I am not sure why because I really loved this first book. I loved getting to know the Beauchamp women and their men and I am excited to see where the series will go from here.
on August 12, 2015
Possibly one of the worst books that I have read in a long time. I got it because I really liked the show and usually the books are much better. Not so here.

The writing was so descriptive as to be bad. It didn't give you a sense of the surrounding but more a pat on the authors back for knowing big words. For example "...tripping on the Aubusson rug and plastering the front of Constance Bigelow's dress with hors d'oeuvres...".

The characters were flat, the writing was really bad and the story was just awful. I can't even wrap my head around this being an adult novel.

Spoilers here (in a sad way):
Chapter 1 should have been called "Freya's Breasts" because that is all she talked about (and the fact that she didn't wear panties) - who cares?! I mean she literally called her breasts all the following in chapter one: Breasts, Fun Bags, Fat Bags, Boobs and Tits. What was the point in all of this? She met Bran by falling out of her top so her breasts landed in his hands. How friggin stupid?

If I could give this a negative star, I would
on May 23, 2015
i loved this book. it was nothing like the tv series. still it was great.getting to know the charecters as they were written in the book is fun. i love the way you find out who the gardner brothers used to be. which one was good and which was not.i was surprised that joanna in the book had the power to raise the dead.such a good book