5.0 out of 5 stars Reading with Tequila
I had a good feeling about Witches of East End when reading the synopsis and while I had high hopes for this book, it was so much more amazing than I could have possibly expected. The characters, the magic, the mythology, everything clicked perfectly. The pages flew by as I read, utterly entranced by the easy tone of the novel.

The Witches of East End, Joanna,...
Published on April 28, 2011 by Jennifer Sicurella

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read
You can't use your gift...but we can't really stop you either.

Sound interesting? It was to me. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into Witches of East End. The story is written with fluidity and moves at a quick pace. The blurb snagged me immediately and, once opened, I couldn't put it down. Ms. de la Cruz has characters that are intriguing. I wanted to know...
Published on July 13, 2011 by LAS Reviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars HUH?, August 26, 2011
I honestly can't fathom the high reviews this book has received. Based on the reader reviews alone, I could not wait to read this book. I love books like Alice Hoffman's "Practical Magic", or Nora Roberts "Three Sisters Island" Trilogy...but I have rarely read anything so awful as this book. This is the first book that made me wish Kindle had a 'Are you kidding me?' trade in policy.
I am glad to see I am not the ONLY person who did not enjoy it, but I am baffled by the millions who seem to love this author's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting New Series with Visits from Some Old Friends, June 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Melissa De La Cruz's new series was written as adult fiction, but it is a great way to get fans of the Blue Blood's series to start reading more advanced books. Witches of East End is the first book in the Beauchamp series. While it is a separate series from the Blue Bloods, a few of our friendly vampires and their human companions make an appearance in this story. I really like the connection to the former series, especially since you don't have to know about the Blue Bloods... you will just enjoy the connection if you have read the former series.

Joanna and her daughters, Ingrid and Freya, are witches. Unfortunately, they are restricted witches. After Salem, the Council has had them on restriction; now they not allowed to perform magic. Joanna is a conjurer, and she can bring people back from the dead. Ingrid can predict the future and her charms can help a variety of issues. Freya is a potion maker working as a bartender; her specialty is romance and relationships. They live in the sleepy town of North Hampton as average women, but their true nature lies right beneath the surface. Slowly they become more and more bold with their magic, tired of the Council's restrictions.

For a while, the magic works fine. The townsfolk know the Beauchamps are different, but they don't question how different until things start going wrong. When a young girl goes missing, Freya and her potions are blamed. When the mayor hangs himself with a knot eerily similar to one of Ingrid's charms, his wife blames Ingrid. And when a friend Joanna saved from the afterlife comes back strange and different, it is clear Joanna may have done something wrong in saving him. These instances combined with mysterious illnesses in town and a deadly substance poisoning the water just offshore make the people of North Hampton turn to the witches with fingers pointed. Now the women must get to the bottom of the mysterious evil that is haunting their sleepy home... before something like Salem happens again.

This was a really great new start for De La Cruz. The book was written for adult audiences, but it is written in much of the same language as the author's YA series. There are a few intimate scenes that some might be concerned about giving to a younger student, but there are only a couple, and they are relatively mild. For an adult book, they are completely tame, but it might be a tad more intimate than some would feel comfortable giving to a young adult. I would have no qualms about giving this book to anyone in upper high school. Besides the occasional intimate scene, the language and content is very approachable for a younger reader.

The beauty of this story is not only the fact that it can appeal to a wide range of readers, but its complex story telling. While it seems to be a simple story about witches, there is so much more tied into it. Norse mythology makes an appearance, along with Norse God Odin, his wife Frigg, and their sons, Balder and Loki. The connection is surprising, but done with style and grace. This story has a multiple levels that will keep the readers enticed and never bored. There is too much going on to put the book down! My favorite part is that all these worlds, the worlds of witches, Gods, vampires, and much more, all come together just outside our own world of realization. All this time, just under our noses, are these amazing, and sometimes scary, creatures and beings! This was an amazing start to a new series, and I can't wait for the next installment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, February 3, 2014
This is one of the worst books I've read in a long time. There are HUGE plot holes. Without giving too much away the events of the book have sort of transpired before AND one of the witches foresees some of the events happening and yet none of them can figure out what's happening. I consider this a plot hole because NO ONE could be that dumb (especially people who are thousands of years old). The sex scenes are too much in my opinion (and it seems many others opinion as well). Toward the end of the book the "twists" just tear the plot apart and it becomes utter nonsense. I could go on, but others have already pointed out many of the book's issues and I honestly don't want to waste any more time on this book. I am giving this book to Goodwill (probably with an apology note) and I will not be reading anything else by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Author is Talented AND lazy, a disappointing combo, May 10, 2011
Aargh!!!

First of all, I really enjoyed this book except for one very annoying and slutty detail that sadly permeates the book so there is no "reading past it".

This is the first book I have read by this author and I really loved the storyline and even the character development of MOST of the characters. The mother Joanna and the oldest daughter Ingrid are truly intriguing and enjoyable. De La Cruz clearly has a fantastic imagination and has been wildly inventive with her Witch mythology and has developed elements that I have not yet seen in occult literature and it is fun! The story moves forward and to the point, no unnecessary tangents or red herrings. The author plays free and easy with Norse mythology, but it is all in good fun & might inspire readers to check out this lesser popular branch of Gods & Goddesses.

Really, there was so much to enjoy that I found it painful that De La Cruz undermines her own imagination and writing skills by utilizing one of the most tired, worn-out, soap opera inspired plot-lines EVER! Freya, the youngest daughter is quite frankly a slut. Rather than develop her character and skills (which as an empath could have been really good. Instead she mostly knows when would be a good time to "Get some".) she is the token gratuitous sex scene. What is worse is that clearly the reader is supposed to care about her and be understanding. However the fact that the character is having graphically detailed intercourse between two brothers which is evidently okay if you really love one and the other is super-hot. (I will not go into the good brother, bad brother detail because that would be a spoiler even though we all know where this one is going. Yes there are no surprises here.) Most of us will find this topic morally taboo and uncomfortable and having the author try to justify it as some slightly inconvenient "thing" feels like an insult to the reader. (Perhaps the author should have tapped into Lofn, the Goddess of ilicit unions instead of Freya a fertility Goddess.)

De La Cruz clearly has some talent, unfortunately she also has some serious lazy going on as well.

Bum, bum, bummer!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow as a three hour algebra lecture, December 15, 2013
I read this book because of the TV show, and while I liked one or two characters and the ideas incorporated about the Vanir, I didn't really like it over all.
Warning, there are a few spoilers in the next paragraph.
Maybe it was her style, but half of the book just seemed so pointless and slow. I was over a third of the way into the book before anything started happening. A lot of the girls' invastigations and attempts to stop the evil didn't make any sense, and it was like they weren't even trying in the last third of the book. They took so many breaks from their problems it was like they didn't want them solved when it would be so easy to just go looking for the zombie. Although that might have made it worse, because the climax where Freya orders Loki to stop and go home was just a letdown.
Freya's relationships with Killian and Bran looked really shallow to me, and for all of Freya's declarations that she loved them, it didn't really read like it. Joanna's declaration about her husband not actually leaving them was just bad. They spent three pages on it and then moved on like it never happened just so that they could have someone to explain the restriction being lifted.
As someone who hasn't read the Blue Bloods books, I didn't really see the point of Mimi being in there either. To me it just looked like the author was throwing a bone to her existing fan base, it had very little to do with the overall story and slowed it down even further.
I might read the other books, because again, I did like the underlying plot, I just didn't like how it was written or handled in a lot of ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected:), November 26, 2013
This was actually better than I expected:) I started watching the TV series when it started on Lifetime a few weeks back and I saw it was based on a book series so I decided to pick up the first one and get reading. There are changes of course but the book itself is well written.

Witches is based on Freya and Ingrid two sister witches who live in the mortal world with their mother Joanna but have been prohibited to use their magic from the all powerful council of witches. Well, they live in the town of Hampton NY and all hate that they cannot use their magic but it does not stop them. Freya is the wild child bartender who is engaged to one man Bran and is boinking his brother Killian for kicks. This creates a unique set of issues and brings a hell of a lot of drama. Despite the drama Freya has a big heart and tries to balance the insanity of her life while being a good sister and daughter.

Ingrid is the down to earth feet on the ground sister who works at the library and does not like to put herself in the middle of drama. She is just the picture of smarts and some would say fridgidity but as the book continues, she begins to grow and by the end of the book she comes out of her shell just a bit. Likable and fun in her own ways she gives a wonderful foil to her crazy fun sister.

Joanna is the typical protective mom and shields her girls from some things while not from other things but she is formidable in her own way. Not much is really said about Joanna in this book so we get very little back story but we know she had a husband and something happened when the girls were young and he has left the picture. She has the most amazing mother instincts and uses her magic with great care but also does not take any s*** from anyone.

Despite the small flaws of slowness in some areas and the sexual tension being a bit forced at times it was a good book and I am looking forward to picking up the next one, Serpent's Kiss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, November 21, 2013
Mandy (Northern California) - See all my reviews
I’ve been watching the Witches of East End on lifetime and recently learned it’s a book. So of course when the option came up to read a witch book I jumped at it. The book revolves around three witches Joanna, Freya and Ingrid living in North Hampton. They had made a deal to no longer practice magic anymore they were living just like everyone else. Yet after thousands of years it’s gotten harder to keep up their side of the deal. It’s not like they use their magic to hurt people who’s going to really know if they help a few people out.

As each of them is tested in their own ways they begin to use their magical gifts to help others. Freya is your party girl working at the local pub, Ingrid is working at the library and Joanna is taking care of the house and Tyler. While the girls are young their mother Joanna is in her sixty’s but she feels as young as the girls. If one of the girls was to accidentally pass away than Joanna would become young and pregnant with her daughter. After all immortality does have its benefits. Ingrid sets up shop on her lunch breaks at the library using her gift to help people as well as save her library. Freya uses her gift at work making a love potion, and Joanna fixes a burned pie in front of Tyler. Yet not all of their help is reciprocated when things start to go wrong the women are blamed.

I think the characters are interesting in. This is my first book by the author but I’ve heard that Freya is in her Blue Bloods series so I feel like I missing out on her. I think Ingrid is my favorite because she’s willing to risk it all to save her library which is what I would do if I was here. I wanted to love them but I didn’t they had their moments but for the most part I wasn’t able to connect with any of them.

The idea is also captivating very Practical Magic but the story just doesn’t flow along smoothly. Unfortunately I found myself losing interest right away but kept on plugging along hoping the story would pick up. I’m not sure if I just had to high of expectations or if the story just falls short. If I hadn’t been so determined to finish the book I’m afraid it would have made it onto my DNF shelf but I believe every book deserves a fair chance. I think part of the problem was that we kept bouncing between the women and that there was so much information to a point of overload. I’ve not read a lot of witch books but this one isn’t my favorite. I’ve not read anything by the author before but I still want to check out her other series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Witchy Good Time, November 17, 2013
I love a clever, entertaining Paranormal story, and this one definitely fit the bill. It captured my attention right away. The author did a great job creating a magical mood and establishing the somewhat surreal setting with her words, and the three heroines (Joanna and her daughters, Ingrid and Freya) were well-drawn and interesting. When the story opens, all three ladies have been suppressing their witchy powers for hundreds of years (this being their punishment for a crime committed by another family member), but soon they all slip up and the consequences aren't pretty as bad things start happening in their quiet, little town (murder, disappearances, and poisoned waters - oh my!)

For me, Freya was probably the most compelling of the characters. She's the one whose powers revolve around emotions. She can see what people's darkest and deepest desires are and her potions are all love/lust-based. Her involvement in a steamy love triangle with a pair of handsome brothers (one a goodhearted philanthropist, the other a mysterious bad boy) kept me turning the pages, anxious to see how the situation would resolve itself.

I did think that the story got a bit convoluted in the end when the Beauchamp witches were tied into Norse mythology. That really wasn't necessary as their backstory was already complicated and twisted enough. The book did end with a mini-cliffhanger that's a great set-up for the next book in the series, which I will definitely be checking out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, May 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I expected so much more from Witches of East End. First of all, it's about witches and j'adore witches. Plus, Melissa de la Cruz's vampire series has been hyped up just about everywhere. While I haven't read them (I own the first three, though. Picked them up for a buck at a library sale), most people seemed to enjoy them. Unfortunately, I just didn't like Witches of the East End.

I love everything to do with witches because I find it all intriguing. Yet, the witches in Witches of the East End were not intriguing. In fact, they were down-right boring when they weren't being extremely unlikeable. Let me just say that adultery is one of those things that pisses me off since I don't see the point of it. You're starting to have feelings for someone else? Fine. Just dump the person that you're with. It's less douchey than cheating on someone. So having Freya cheat on her fiance with his brother severely turned me off her character.

The rest were no better. I found Ingrid to be pathetic and annoying and Joanna was just boring as all get out. In fact, most (if not all) of the book was boring. I just didn't care about any of the characters and didn't care about anything that was happening. I didn't even find the plot interesting. In the end, I found Witches of the East End to be very disappointing. The only reason I finished it was because it was a Vine book and because it was relatively short. Still, it was pretty much a waste of time for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing Characters take you on a roller coster ride of your life!, August 9, 2014
I chose this book because I had read a short synopsis of the first chapter. I could not keep the characters out of my mind and HAD to find the book. I was not sure of the authors name, and did a short search on Amazon. When I found it I was thrilled and devoured the book in two sittings. My Husband even commented that I did NOT have to read the entire book at once. I was hooked. I had to know more about these Gods who had been banished to Midearth (for lack of a better name of it) and were using majick to help the people of this quant but lovely town, yes, it was described so well I felt I had visited.

I had never seen or heard of the series, and I am not sure I get it where I live.

All I can say is that I am Bewitched, bothered and bewildered and have read two of the books in as many weeks and now am in the process of flying through the third. I have looked to see if there is just one more, like an addict looking for a fix.

If you want a wild ride, just grab your broomstick and hold on for the ride of your life, these STRONG female characters will take you places you have never been before.

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

Witches of East End
Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz (Hardcover - June 21, 2011)
$23.99