5.0 out of 5 stars Reading with Tequila
I had a good feeling about Witches of East End when reading the synopsis and while I had high hopes for this book, it was so much more amazing than I could have possibly expected. The characters, the magic, the mythology, everything clicked perfectly. The pages flew by as I read, utterly entranced by the easy tone of the novel.

The Witches of East End, Joanna,...
Published on April 28, 2011 by Jennifer Sicurella

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read
You can't use your gift...but we can't really stop you either.

Sound interesting? It was to me. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into Witches of East End. The story is written with fluidity and moves at a quick pace. The blurb snagged me immediately and, once opened, I couldn't put it down. Ms. de la Cruz has characters that are intriguing. I wanted to know...
Published on July 13, 2011 by LAS Reviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 19, 2011
Truly do not understand how this got good reviews. Usually I like de la Cruz's books okay, but this one leaves me shaking my head. Please explain to me how anybody could get to be a thousand year old witch and still just decide, oh, well, it'll probably all work out just fine, no, nobody will think it's strange when we start handing out magic spells as solutions to problems. I found this book very frustrating and disappointing.
Then we're supposed to believe they've been stripped/banned from using their powers for hundreds of years by some all-powerful council who then just shrugs and goes oh, well, when the women inexplicably start using their powers again.
This book is not written in such a broad manner as to be an allegory, nor is it fantastical enough to be an adult fairy tale. If this were the old days, I'd have thrown the book across the room at about page 95. As it was, I simply deleted it from my Kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE, August 2, 2011
kathijo "kathijo29" (Westchester County, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witches of East End (Hardcover)
This book started off well enough. A mindless read while wallowing on a summer afternoon, however, it quickly turned to crap. The book abruptly wove Norse legends into the last chapters without any explanation. Where did that come from? What's more the author wrote about these legends as if all of us had grown up with them. I myself am not Scandinavian, and had I not seen the movie "Thor" I would have no idea whatsoever who these Gods were.

It seems as though toward the end of the book the author just got tired, or wanted to include this lore and chose to throw it in there and hoping it would somehow fit. It didn't and the result was almost comical - save the fact that I actually spent money on this trash.

2.0 out of 5 stars Author is Talented AND lazy, a disappointing combo, May 10, 2011
Aargh!!!

First of all, I really enjoyed this book except for one very annoying and slutty detail that sadly permeates the book so there is no "reading past it".

This is the first book I have read by this author and I really loved the storyline and even the character development of MOST of the characters. The mother Joanna and the oldest daughter Ingrid are truly intriguing and enjoyable. De La Cruz clearly has a fantastic imagination and has been wildly inventive with her Witch mythology and has developed elements that I have not yet seen in occult literature and it is fun! The story moves forward and to the point, no unnecessary tangents or red herrings. The author plays free and easy with Norse mythology, but it is all in good fun & might inspire readers to check out this lesser popular branch of Gods & Goddesses.

Really, there was so much to enjoy that I found it painful that De La Cruz undermines her own imagination and writing skills by utilizing one of the most tired, worn-out, soap opera inspired plot-lines EVER! Freya, the youngest daughter is quite frankly a slut. Rather than develop her character and skills (which as an empath could have been really good. Instead she mostly knows when would be a good time to "Get some".) she is the token gratuitous sex scene. What is worse is that clearly the reader is supposed to care about her and be understanding. However the fact that the character is having graphically detailed intercourse between two brothers which is evidently okay if you really love one and the other is super-hot. (I will not go into the good brother, bad brother detail because that would be a spoiler even though we all know where this one is going. Yes there are no surprises here.) Most of us will find this topic morally taboo and uncomfortable and having the author try to justify it as some slightly inconvenient "thing" feels like an insult to the reader. (Perhaps the author should have tapped into Lofn, the Goddess of ilicit unions instead of Freya a fertility Goddess.)

De La Cruz clearly has some talent, unfortunately she also has some serious lazy going on as well.

Bum, bum, bummer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting New Series with Visits from Some Old Friends, June 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Melissa De La Cruz's new series was written as adult fiction, but it is a great way to get fans of the Blue Blood's series to start reading more advanced books. Witches of East End is the first book in the Beauchamp series. While it is a separate series from the Blue Bloods, a few of our friendly vampires and their human companions make an appearance in this story. I really like the connection to the former series, especially since you don't have to know about the Blue Bloods... you will just enjoy the connection if you have read the former series.

Joanna and her daughters, Ingrid and Freya, are witches. Unfortunately, they are restricted witches. After Salem, the Council has had them on restriction; now they not allowed to perform magic. Joanna is a conjurer, and she can bring people back from the dead. Ingrid can predict the future and her charms can help a variety of issues. Freya is a potion maker working as a bartender; her specialty is romance and relationships. They live in the sleepy town of North Hampton as average women, but their true nature lies right beneath the surface. Slowly they become more and more bold with their magic, tired of the Council's restrictions.

For a while, the magic works fine. The townsfolk know the Beauchamps are different, but they don't question how different until things start going wrong. When a young girl goes missing, Freya and her potions are blamed. When the mayor hangs himself with a knot eerily similar to one of Ingrid's charms, his wife blames Ingrid. And when a friend Joanna saved from the afterlife comes back strange and different, it is clear Joanna may have done something wrong in saving him. These instances combined with mysterious illnesses in town and a deadly substance poisoning the water just offshore make the people of North Hampton turn to the witches with fingers pointed. Now the women must get to the bottom of the mysterious evil that is haunting their sleepy home... before something like Salem happens again.

This was a really great new start for De La Cruz. The book was written for adult audiences, but it is written in much of the same language as the author's YA series. There are a few intimate scenes that some might be concerned about giving to a younger student, but there are only a couple, and they are relatively mild. For an adult book, they are completely tame, but it might be a tad more intimate than some would feel comfortable giving to a young adult. I would have no qualms about giving this book to anyone in upper high school. Besides the occasional intimate scene, the language and content is very approachable for a younger reader.

The beauty of this story is not only the fact that it can appeal to a wide range of readers, but its complex story telling. While it seems to be a simple story about witches, there is so much more tied into it. Norse mythology makes an appearance, along with Norse God Odin, his wife Frigg, and their sons, Balder and Loki. The connection is surprising, but done with style and grace. This story has a multiple levels that will keep the readers enticed and never bored. There is too much going on to put the book down! My favorite part is that all these worlds, the worlds of witches, Gods, vampires, and much more, all come together just outside our own world of realization. All this time, just under our noses, are these amazing, and sometimes scary, creatures and beings! This was an amazing start to a new series, and I can't wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly recommended bewitching novel!, August 29, 2011
Stephanie Ward (Cochranton, PA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Witches of East End (Hardcover)
This book is the first adult novel by bestselling YA author Melissa de la Cruz. It follows the mishaps and trials of the Beauchamp women; Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid. The women live in North Hampton, a small coastal town in New York. They are witches, but have been forced to not use their magic for centuries. Soon the three ladies are met with situations that can only be resolved by using a bit of magic. Adventures, mishaps, love, and heartbreak soon follow. The novel shows the importance of being true to oneself, the strong family ties that hold us all together, and how far we would go for the ones we love.
I have not read any of the author's previous YA books, but decided to take a chance on her first adult novel. I was not disappointed! The book was an easy, fun read filled with magic, mystery, family, and love. The Beauchamp women were very accessible to the reader as characters; the reader is able to identify with at least one of the women, if not all. From the very first page, Melissa de la Cruz captivated my attention and drew me into the world of North Hampton and the people who live there. Her descriptive abilities are remarkable! There were times when I could almost hear the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and smell the books in the old library. The novel has some good twists that the reader does not expect, as well as a good dose of lightness and humor to keep it fun. I loved how the author mixed in mythology and legends along with some American history and magic.
In conclusion, I loved this novel. I highly recommend it to adults who want to escape from their everyday lives for a bit - even if they are not a regular paranormal reader. I am very happy that this is just the first in the Beauchamp series - I am now eagerly awaiting the next installment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Silly Frivilous Witch Tale, November 1, 2013
I purchased the audio version of "The Witches of East End" mainly because I thought the book would be a little more detailed than the television seriesPilot. Not that I am overly enthralled with the series--its cute, its light, it could be fun, but for the most part its a glossy soap opera with the same plot concepts of the old television show "Charmed"--attractive witches with boyfriends, spells, funny moments, shapeshifting, and dire threats from age old villains.

The audio version is read by the perky Katie Schorr who tries so hard to pull this book off that the intensity of her effort made for difficult listening.

Author De La Cruz should have removed the overly done sex scenes and marketed this one as a very, very young adult novel. Perhaps then her frothy story line and glamorous characters might entertain--no disparagement intended to the young adult genre which produces great stories that have meaningful themes and great writing.

Quite frankly, I could not listen to this book in its entirety. Not only is it predictable, it is downright silly. I should have known better when I saw that the price of this audio was raised from $14 to over $17 merely because of its tie-in with the cable series. I wish I could get a refund.

Bottom line? Readers looking for a good witch story should stick with Anne Rice's The Anne Rice Collection Mayfair Witches: Lasher / The Witching Hour / Taltos for good characterizations and great scares. "The Witches of East End" is a silly young adult novel with too many obnoxiously detailed sex scenes. Ugh! Why does this stuff still sell? Not recommended.
Diana Faillace Von Behren
"reneofc"

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Imagination. Bad Writing., September 16, 2011
This review is from: Witches of East End (Hardcover)
What a great imagination! De La Cruz came up with a great concept and an interesting setting. However, what bad execution. De La Cruz never really spends much time giving the back story of her various main characters - just a brief statement or reference, and she's done. I was not too bothered by that until she got to the end. Suddenly, what is (seemingly) a complicated back story of the main characters is revealed and explained, in very short order, although the reader had virtually no build-up or introduction to it. After that, on one of the last pages, three unsolved murders in the book are explained in one paragraph. I kept thinking "geez, this reads like a Young Adult novel. What gives?" Then I came to Amazon reviews and realized that De La Cruz began as a YA author.

So here's my observation/warning: the ONLY thing in this book that keeps it from being a YA novel is some brief and not very (in my opinion) scandalous descriptions of sex. The writing style, which is long on mythology and romance but short on explanations and an ability to weave the storylines together in a satisfying way, is 100% YA. It's like a Reader's Digest abridged version of a story. It's too bad - De La Cruz started with a great idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars fun first, then just silly, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Witches of East End (Hardcover)
I found the beginning two thirds of this book mildly entertaining in a trashy beach read kind of way. The family of witches, two sisters and their mother, are likable enough, and their story has enough mystery to keep you guessing for awhile. Unfortunately, the book devolves into boring silliness when it is revealed that the Beauchamps have lived for thousands of years and are godesses from another realm that you get to by crossing a bridge which has been closed for centuries...okay, maybe I've got the details a bit mixed up. The book is just too ridiculous to care. Bad writing. Boring story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, May 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I expected so much more from Witches of East End. First of all, it's about witches and j'adore witches. Plus, Melissa de la Cruz's vampire series has been hyped up just about everywhere. While I haven't read them (I own the first three, though. Picked them up for a buck at a library sale), most people seemed to enjoy them. Unfortunately, I just didn't like Witches of the East End.

I love everything to do with witches because I find it all intriguing. Yet, the witches in Witches of the East End were not intriguing. In fact, they were down-right boring when they weren't being extremely unlikeable. Let me just say that adultery is one of those things that pisses me off since I don't see the point of it. You're starting to have feelings for someone else? Fine. Just dump the person that you're with. It's less douchey than cheating on someone. So having Freya cheat on her fiance with his brother severely turned me off her character.

The rest were no better. I found Ingrid to be pathetic and annoying and Joanna was just boring as all get out. In fact, most (if not all) of the book was boring. I just didn't care about any of the characters and didn't care about anything that was happening. I didn't even find the plot interesting. In the end, I found Witches of the East End to be very disappointing. The only reason I finished it was because it was a Vine book and because it was relatively short. Still, it was pretty much a waste of time for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell Flat, December 12, 2013
I picked this book up because I have enjoyed the series on Lifetime. The premise is interesting but the book lacks good plot and character development. It is also written at a very juvenile reading level. I finished it in less than a day. The only thing that put this in the adult fiction category are the bedroom scenes. Otherwise, it reads like teen fiction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›

Witches of East End
Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz (Hardcover - June 21, 2011)
$23.99 $17.49