5.0 out of 5 stars The end is the beginning.
Published on August 29, 2011 by Stewart Crawford

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible vinyl mastering
The sticker on the outside of this vinyl package states 'pressed on 180gram audiophile quality vinyl'

Published on February 5, 2012 by Scentless Apprentice

5.0 out of 5 stars The end is the beginning., August 29, 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
So here we are again. After an extended Hiatus and the loss of a pivotal band member the Chilis have released their 10th studio effort following the behemoth that was "Stadium Arcadium". Is it good? The short answer is yes. If you want to listen to some new Chilis songs and are on the fence about this one then hop off and go buy it!. To the rest of you, let me tell you why it rocks through the power of story:

I have always been a huge Chilis fan. I have been an even bigger John Frusciante fan. From the first time I heard him play guitar when I was a kid, to watching him live on stage standing two feet away while he played under the bridge, I have loved the man. He's the reason I picked up a guitar for the first time and has been a consistently huge influence on my life.

So the first time he left the band I was devastated, when Dave Navarro took over I disowned the Chilis and focused on John's solo career. The energy in one hot minute was all wrong; it didn't feel like the Chilis to me. Or maybe it did and I was just too stubborn to see. Either way I couldn't stand that album so I moved on to other artists and music.

Don't get me wrong though I love the other three band members too, it's just without John 'One Hot Minute' just didn't feel right to me. I have friends who agree with me and friends who thing that is their best album to date. Oh well.

When Californication came and with it the return of John I was elated. I listened to that CD until it burned out, then I bought two more. I simply couldn't get enough. The next two were equally as amazing and cemented the Chilis once again as my all time favourite band. I was impatient when they announced a hiatus but could understand it. They had been churning out quality music non stop for years.

The second time they announced John's departure I was understandably bummed out. My flash backs to the Navarro days was something I could not bear. I vowed not to buy the next Chilis album, fearing the inevitable loss of that which made the Chilis great. This of course is their energy, without that they are nothing and I could see no way they could possibly recapture it with John gone.

I was wrong. I bought the album on day one because; despite being a big baby I missed the Chili peppers. That and they are one of the bands that still make good quality music in a world saturated in mainstream crap. I went in with extremely low expectations though. Ready to criticize it fully and completely. The minute the first song began to play I was grinning. I kept grinning, waiting for my disappointment to set in. The grin did not waver, the album ended and I put it on again. I have been listening to it all day, over and over. They did it. It's crazy but they did it! The loss of John can be seen and felt but the rest of the band do a great job and filling the John shaped hole in my heart :P

Flea is astounding on the bass. There will never be another bassist like this man, he is insane! He steals the show in this album not only on bass but with some amazing piano playing. That's right the piano! He plays it to great effect in "Even You Brutus?" and "Happiness loves company" two brilliant songs late in the album.

Anthony's vocals are amazing as always, full of energy and soul. I had to look up the lyrics and learn these songs as quickly as I could just to sing along with him. There's something about his singing that just makes you feel good. I need to bring in `Even you Brutus' again as a highlight, where he raps. I heard people say he's channeling Eminem and that's true but as always he takes something great and makes it his own. There are other highlights but he shines through the entire album.

Chad's drumming is as solid as always, powerful and consistent. I'm not a drummer and sadly can't go into more detail but Chad exudes an energy that's all his and it fits perfectly with the Chilis.

Josh, ah Josh. I had heard him play before; he collaborated with John on some of John's solo efforts and even composed an entire album with him if I am not mistaken, so I always knew he was good. I just didn't know how good he could be. Josh plays much more methodically and is more subtle that John. But he plays in a way that lets the other three band members shine. You won't hear any insane solos or ripping rhythm here. Please don't let that deter you though, he has his moments and they are amazing. He has a beautiful acoustic song in `Brendan's Death Song' and his guitar stands out in `Look around' Which is delightfully funky and `Meet me at the Corner' where he is truly channeling john.

So down to the nitty gritty is this good? Yes, it is a great album and I highly recommend it.

Do I miss John? Of course, I keep thinking how different this album would be with John, but the album does not suffer without him. Josh is solid and even brilliant at times and while wishing John the best on his career I think the Chilis will do just fine without him.

Is it the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Yes and no. The energy I have brought up several times is here it's just changed to something a bit more sophisticated. It's a lot milder and more deliberate album than past Chilis efforts. It sounds completly diffrent while maintaining there trademark funkyness.

Conclusion:

This album will have classics but they will be classic for completely different reasons that Chilis songs of the past were. Using everything they have learned in the past they have brought forth amazing music that they own. It's oozing with their trademark sound, only, in a completely new way.

The album never wavers, each song is just as good as the last it sustains this pace all the way through the cd even having some hidden gems way at the end.

This is the Chilis reborn. They have finished one great era of song writing and moved onto the next. I cannot wait to see where that will take them, but I will be sticking with them for the entire journey. Thanks to the Chilis for making me smile all day and for years to come. I am so glad I could say I was wrong about this album. Commence the eating of the hat!

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond my expectations, September 23, 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Everytime I buy a new Red Hot Chili Peppers CD, I "brace" myself that it probably won't be as good as their last release. EVERY TIME, I'm wrong! When I was "preparing" myself for I'm With You - same thing. I was totally blown away (again). I am a die-hard John Frusciante fan, but this is an excellent CD! As with all RHCP CDs, your favorite songs will change from week to week. That's why you end up listening to their CDs for...well YEARS...or until their next release. Their formula of "each song is completely different in writing, overall form, & performance, than the other songs" - seems to work for these guys. Unless you despise great catchy music, you'll LOVE THIS CD !!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible vinyl mastering, February 5, 2012
Scentless Apprentice (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Vinyl)

Don't let that trick you into purchasing this. This is a terrible master. It was done by Vlado Meller, who's mastered every Chili Pepper's album since 1999's 'Californication'. All of which have suffered from some of the worst mastering of all time. They're so loud they're clipped into the red. So good luck hearing any clarity or definition in his mastering through the waves of digital distortions shredding your ear drums.

Clearly by 2006, John Frusciante (he seems to have developed an increased interest in sound quality as years have progressed, using analog to record his solo ventures and mastering his 2009 solo album 'The Empyrean' very dynamically, which was a far cry from his Chili Pepper's world) had enough and Steve Hoffman was hired to master John's swan song, 'Stadium Arcadium' for vinyl. Steve Hoffman did a great job and the vinyl sounds rich and detailed, with lots of definition between instruments and most importantly the bass isn't drowned out in waves of static digital distortions.

But now with John gone, Warner Music have just resorted to having the lame, the deaf, the terrible, the anti music himself, Vlado Meller, make a vinyl master of this album to cash in on the vinyl sales boom.

What you're presented with when you drop the needle onto the grooves of this vinyl is very treble heavy thin sound, with no definition, very sharp, muddy and brittle sounding, with mostly inaudible bass, which in my opinion is sacrilegious considering the talents of Flea. It's not a pleasant listen and hurts your ears more than the commercially released loudness war CD.

I bought this vinyl after downloading a FLAC vinyl rip of a torrent site. I thought maybe i downloaded a bad rip. But nope.

Honestly Warner, enough is enough, fans have suffered through 4 RHCP albums mastered by Vlado Meller! What the f__k? Do you even listen to the music before you release it? Have you listened to the beautiful dynamics in the 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' CD (which thankfully wasn't given a 20th anniversary remaster like Nirvana's Nevermind) lately?

facebook.com/dynamicRHCP

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not With You, June 11, 2013
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
I am not a RHCP hater, as a matter of fact I am a devoted fan. I was also a very big fan of John Frusciante. As disappointed I was in his departure, I think he left at the right time. With the help of John and Rick Ruben's influence, when John returned to RHCP they were able to tap into a softer and prettier side of the band, starting with Californication. All that means is that instead of the band doing the same funk, aggro, rap rock, it flipped the script and made some very Beatles/Beach Boys esque records. The problem is that there is a fine line between making beautiful soaring harmonies, and going into just straight poppy crap. Stadium Arcadium had some amazing songs that couldve been on By the Way, which is melodically a perfect California beach record, but SA it also had a lot of filler crap and a double album wasnt necessary. I can only guess that John, the musical genius that he is, said to these guys "okay, we did some pretty Beach Boys Pet Sounds stuff, lets flip it again"...and their reply was "Um no, we want to continue to sing about Maggie Mae, and Sally Sue, and Dani California, and Susie has a baby". Im sorry, but the creative juices are just not flowing for this band at the moment. I cant even blame Josh Klinghoffer, who came on board, and is a skilled guitarist, and just doing his best. Anthony and Flea are obviously very talented, but I feel like they are just playing in their comfort zone at this point. They could turn this around. But John was such a tremendous creative influence, way way beyond his guitar playing, that I have a hard time honestly believing it can be better without him. He was instrumental in the writing, engineering, mastering, song and album direction, the list goes on and on. Time will tell the future of this band. The new album I'm With You has one good song in my opinion which is Brendans Death Song, which just goes to show you that if you draw your emotions from a sincere place (their friend passing away), the music can still be beautiful without John.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where isthe Funky soulfulness and raw energy?, November 21, 2011
Lance "LPMusic" (Ft. Lauderdale,FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Let me say that I have always been and always will be a HUGE RHCP's fan. I have been since I first heard them in the late 80's early 90's. There music has been the soundtrack of my life sustaining me like food, uplifting me with the funk, and taking me to a place where weirdness and funky dirty and raw organic rock guitars ooze out from the speakers and the music blazes from the amplifiers in a smoky dark nightclub where the crowd slinks and bounces to the red hot funkiness and sexy ladies dance about in a bacchallian festival around a bonfire in a tribal trance. All the while Flea is jumping around like a madman and layin' down some serious Bass lines, and John is playing psychedelic Hendrix mixed with funkiness, and Anthony is Rappin and rockin like it ain't nobodys business.
This is the old RHCP spirit. But this new album makes me feel a little sick to the stomach. So many catchy, radio-friendly tunes scrunched into one record it will make me vomit. Disco Beats? Disco Beats!!!!! are you kidding me?
Chorus line hooks that are so blatantly obvious that you would think they are trying to catch a whale of a pop fish its ridiculous, We should change the bands name to match their new sound- instead of RHCP it should be M.S.C.P ( mildly spicy chilli Peppers). or Radio Hosts' Chilli Poppers. Lol. or in my opinion For cryin' out Loud. I hope not too many people buy this record so as not to encourage the boys to continue down this POP path. Yo, Chilli's, whatcha doin? I know you lost your Brotha in music Mr. Frusciante, but I hope Y'all throw this record away and do not even tour behind it, Just get back to your roots, man! take a break ,regroup, why dont ya get Dave Navarro back in the band, he was Badass. Anyhow, I will now go and listen to By the Way or Stadium or better yet Blood Sugar Mellowship fellowship and wait for the Band to get back to the Funk!

1.0 out of 5 stars More lousy BRICKWALLED audio quality, November 8, 2012
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Yet another great set of songs hampered by terrible, ear fatiquing, inexusable audio quality. When oh when do we get to go back to proper recording 101? The sad thing is most people don't even know what good sound is or that the cd they are listening to sounds like sh!t. Recording/mastering in the last 5 years is worse than it has ever been. How can this be with so much technology? Why must we cater to a $10 set of earbuds? Systemic degradation just like everything else in this "circling the drain" country.

P.S. The music is great. The audio sucks. Shame shame on the IDIOT in charge of the mastering on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Death Magnetic 2: The Loudness Wars Strike Again!, September 1, 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
There are some really decent songs on here, Happiness Loves Company and Did I Let You Know are very catchy...but the recording is LIFELESS! Why are such accomplished artists ruining their music by letting people dynamically compress the snot out of it.

Honestly, you turn this up for more than a couple minutes on a decent hifi system and your ears start hurting because everything is just one loud compressed mess.

Here's a quick comparison:

DYNAMICALLY ALIVE ALBUMS 1984 ~ 1992 (CD only)

1) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - average dynamic range - 14dB
2) What Hits?! - average dynamic range - 13dB
3) The Red Hot Chili Peppers - average dynamic range - 13dB
4) Freaky Styley - average dynamic range - 14dB
5) The Uplift Mofo Party Plan - average dynamic range 13dB

DYNAMICALLY AWFUL ALBUMS 1999 ~ 2011 (CD only)

1) Californication - average dynamic range - 4dB
2) By The Way - average dynamic range - 6dB
3) Stadium Arcadium - average dynamic range - 5dB
4) I'm With You - average dynamic range - 4dB

Such a shame.

I can only hope that Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray might be cutting a vinyl of this at some point that saves the dynamics of the original tapes like the cut they did of Stadium Arcadium which puts the CD to utter shame. I look forward to the day when this ridiculous style of mastering is a bad memory.

EDIT - perhaps there were tape back-ups, but the vinyl was cut from 24/96 masters which would be okay too if they weren't dynamically devoid of life but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case, the vinyl sounds almost as bad as the CD. Not surprising, as Vlado Meller did the same thing with the new Jane's Addiction album also. The only reason I don't give this 1-star is because the song-writing is actually good, shame Meller has prevented us from enjoying it on everything but a crappy factory car stereo or cheapie in-ear bud .mp3 player.

5.0 out of 5 stars RHCP on top of their game!, May 5, 2012
R.senal (Spiral Politic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
At first listen I was hooked but not impressed. By the third hearing though it really began to hit me just how brilliant it all was. This usually happens like this for me with the albums I end up treasuring most, they hit me gradually with their wow-factor.

My only issue now is with whoever it is that picks the singles to be released and made into videos! I mean I love the songs they've picked but there are far more lustrous gems they could present, ya know? Factory of Faith, Look Around, and Police Station practically demand music vids!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, innovative and excellent!, April 18, 2012
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and many do not like this album. This is an excellent album! The sound and style is fresh and innovative. What makes RHCP fantastic is their ability to reinvent their sound in creative ways. Is this Stadium Arcadium? Absolutely not - and I believe it was not meant to be an encore of the fabulous album. This is an album with a much different theme, structure and sound altogether. It incorporates various instrumental overtones and has a much more driving beat throughout with a personality of its own. In my opinion this is a fantastic album that showcases the creative and musical abilities of RHCP with a sound that is altogether fun and refreshing! Truly a another fine addition to the long line of RCHP albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Brilliant peace of Music!, October 6, 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
I can truely recommend this album. It is great Music. The Red Hot Chili Peppers really managed to get back to where they left! If you like their music, you won't be disappointed.

I'm With You
I'm With You by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Audio CD - 2011)