5.0 out of 5 stars A scale that keeps getting better and better
The Withings Wi-Fi scale is a fascinating step forward in the use of Wi-Fi to share information for the consumer's benefit.

I purchased my scale from the Withings web site but it was shipped from their U.S. Amazon store. It appears to be one of the first scales to ship within the US as I received it in early October 2009.

After the scale is...
Published on October 21, 2009 by Straight Talker

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and buggy
So,

I was very excited to pick up this scale. The convenience of the wifi networking to auto update my data to their server and subsequently view on the iphone app sounded really really good.

Published on June 16, 2010 by SimpleSimonSays

5.0 out of 5 stars A scale that keeps getting better and better, October 21, 2009
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)

After the scale is configured for your Wi-Fi network, and the account on the server is set up, the process of weighing goes like this: Step on the scale. The scale will fluctuate for a moment while adjusting to your weight. After a few moments, the scale should accept a weight, and then display a bar moving across the display from left to right as the data is uploaded to the server. When the bar display is complete, the scale then displays your Body Fat % and then displays your BMI. If the scale has a problem thinking that the person on the scale is not centered, there will appear an arrow in one of the corners where it believes there is too much weight and it would like you to adjust your weight away from that corner.

The scale is a pretty straightforward device and will not require any in-depth learning but some users might desire a user's manual as there is none beyond the slip of paper that instructs you how to insert the batteries. A pdf document that a user could download would be a great addition for those that would like to better understand what the capabilities are for the device and how they can make best use of the product. After all, this scale is not a cheap scale and most users who purchase it will be technically minded with curious wonderings beyond what is obvious. Withings does have an online forum for ongoing discussion and if you have a question, visiting the forums helps as there are always other users who are experiencing the same issues or have found an answer for something you may come up against.

The scale has the ability to recognize more than one user. There is an algorithm that the server uses to determine which user is on the scale as it expects each user to have a significantly different weight and/or body fat % composition than other users. If it can not detect which user is on the scale from 2 different users, the scale will show an arrow so that by adjusting the users balance on the scale, the user can indicate which user they are. If there are 3 or more users using the scale, this process will not work and the users must each 'claim' or 'refuse' the weight on the web site for their tracking. Unfortunately, having a single user claim that weight will not remove it from the other user's records and each other user must also remove the 'unknown user' weight.

Because I have an iPhone, I was intrigued by how I (or others that I allow) could watch my weight change and body fat changes over time. It is impressive how quickly the iPhone receives the weighing data and Withings has been smart to use a badge on the WiScale application to notify the user that new data has been received. I have not noticed any Alerts yet on the iPhone but they are aware of that capability given that the preference exists within the iPhone settings.

For the techies that like to take things to the next level, there is a capability to download a CSV delimited file containing your weighing history. The file is perfectly formatted to slide right into your Excel program.

There are a couple of things that I expect to see happen as Withings moves to version 2 of their software. Currently, there is no ability to upload data to the server so as to benefit from having historical data that you have accumulated prior to your Withings scale purchase. Manually entering historical data is limited in that the server does not accept data with the precision similar to what the scale records. Withings says that this will be fixed in a future update.

A feature that is missing is the ability to indicate that the user is an athlete and that the Body Fat should be analyzed with that significant difference in mind. Many users who choose a scale such as this might well be expecting this recognition by the software.

The Basal Metabolic Rate would also be a nice feature that may be included at a later time but is not currently calculated or shown.

Withings Scale Pros:
Attractive
Capable of ongoing improvements in features through firmware updates
iPhone application for ease of sharing your success
Capable of multiple users being tracked
Can be set for metric (kg) or imperial (lbs)
Very responsive to customer feedback

Withings Scale Cons:
Accuracy is limited to your typical home use scale.
Not the cheapest product that does this kind of analysis but one of the more innovative.

Executive bottom line: The scale has some fun potential but it should be recognized that technology does not necessarily bring about increased accuracy. I've rated this scale with 5 stars because it is what it appears to be, the design is beautiful and the scale uses technology in innovative ways. The scale has potential for becoming an an awesome product as Withings has the capability to enhance its current capabilities easily. Let's hope they continue to give us even more as time go on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great techy scale, February 3, 2010
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
The scale itself looks nice, works fast and was easy to setup.

The only thing I would warn people about is that you do have to connect the scale via a provided USB cable to your computer to set it up. The port to connect the USB cable to the scale is located in the battery compartment, so after you put the batteries in don't put the cover back on. You'll just be taking it right back off again to connect the scale to your computer. Once the batteries are installed you'll go the Withings website to make an account, then you will connect the scale via USB to your pc to connect it to your network and the account you just created. I would also suggest reading the FAQ on the website once the scale is setup, it provides good information about the display and messages you may get on it.

I had no problem connecting the scale to my secure wireless network, which also uses mac filtering. I had no need to change any of my security settings to get the scale connected.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and buggy, June 16, 2010
So,

In theory, the scale did as expected, however, the software component leaves a lot to be desired. For starters and this is the show stopper, the Body Fat % is completely wrong, not just a little wrong as you would expect with an estimated value, it's off by a lot. I had been using a considerably cheaper digital scale that gave me body fat readings and the Withings scale was nearly 30% off (in my case, 29% versus 24%).

I naturally assumed the Withings scale was the one that was correct (or hoped this was the case since it gave a much lower body fat %). I was annoyed enough by the difference that I decided to go and do a hydrostatic body fat test (the dunk tank), which is considered the gold standard in body fat estimation.

The results were surprising, the Withings scale was the one that was completely wrong and the cheaper scale I had was pretty much the same as the hydrostatic testing. After discovering this, I went over to the forums withings provide for customers and unfortunately discovered many people had the same issue with this scale.

[...]

After posting my experience and asking if they were going to fix this, they said they'll be updating the software later in the year (although the first suggestion of just subtracting 5 from the body fat results wasn't exactly what I had in mind given the difference in results isn't always constant nor acceptable in a scale costing $150).

I was very careful to follow the exact instructions for these measurements, I really wanted to like this scale.

The other bits and pieces such as the iphone app are nice, but not 100% solid, the visualization isn't perfect by any stretch and the way it decides which values to display is not ideal. Still, overall the iphone app is a nice addition for sure.

Anyway, if you want anything close to accurate, I would pass on this scale for now until they sort out their body fat estimation. If you don't really care that much and are happy with the weight being accurate (which it is), then it's a pretty nice scale (just pricey).

1.0 out of 5 stars Hope to save someone $$$, time, and frustration, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
My frustrating experience with the WITHINGS digital wifi scale.

Purchased through Amazon and received in two days - very prompt! Amazon is always great.
Setup was easy, as long as you understand the basics of your wifi setup at home.

Use is simple:
Set up an account on the WITHINGS web site, set up the scale by connecting it to your computer (new firmware auto downloads to the scale, if needed),
configure the scale, unhook scale from your computer, stand on the scale, wait for all measurements to be taken, screen turns off - done!

Here is where my troubles started!
At this point the scale is SUPPOSED to communicate with your wifi router and automatically transmit its information to the WITHINGS web site. No joy for me (and
many other purchasers of this product, if you are to read the WITHINGS web site forum). As a geek for over 40 years I did all the trouble-shooting I could think
of; insured router was working with other wifi devices in our home, performed configuration of the scale again, replace the batteries, moved closer to the
router, reset router - no luck!

The scale DID operate as expected maybe a couple of times, but then, no more. Only way to get the information from the scale to the web site, i.e. communicate
with the router, was to press and hold the button on the back of the scale which forces connection to the router. Even when performing this method the scale
routinely reported error codes (000995 - 'not able to communicate with router') 4-6 times before connecting and transferring data. Did not expect this much
trouble from a high-priced appliance. But, OK, defects happen - let's see what we can do about this.

So, I figured a quick email correspondence with the WITHINGS service department would get me 'fixed'. I couldn't have been MORE wrong. Not only did I not get a
fix, I didn't even get a REPLY! (I sent two emails in one day)

Hmm, second try, let's see if we can CALL the service department. Found a contact number, called and got voice mail.
Left a message, twice during different times of the day, NO RESPONSE. Left a message on Facebook, NO RESPONSE.

All my communication attempts were during business hours on a business day.

Just as a note of interest:
I looked on the WITHINGS web site forum and noticed MANY requests for help were not responded to for 3-4-5 or more days. At least one instance, the response was TWO WEEKS. The customer reported he had the scale for 3 weeks and didn't have full use of it yet! My opinion, totally unacceptable for a premium priced product such as this.

Make your own conclusion, but I believe that either the service department is so overwhelmed with problems they can't respond in a timely manner, or they are severely under-staffed, or they just don't care.

So, today I packed the scale for return, will post my experience many places in hopes it will save others from a similar frustrating and non-productive experience.

Last, but not least, I repeat, I suggest that NO ONE buy this scale, as any device without proper support is WORTHLESS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea... BUT THE SCALE IS NOT ACCURATE OR CONSISTENT, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
Oh how I wish this scale worked out for me. What a brilliant idea - and execution from the technical, connectivity side. But alas, the scale just isn't accurate or consistent.

The weight ranges +/- 1.5 lbs each time you use it. So let's say you weight 150 on the scale at your doctor's office. you can expect your reading to be anywhere between 148.5 to 151.5 when using this scale. And if you get on/off/on/off/on etc. etc., the reading will change every time! Arrrrgh. And the fat measurement was even more off. In a series of 5 attempts in succession, my fat percentage ranged +/- 4%. Perhaps this type of technology just doesn't work as says Consumer reports (they refuse to test fat analysis monitors for this reason) or maybe its something wrong with the withings testing method or technology... whatever the case, that much variation from successive measurements is unacceptable and I can't rationalize keeping a $150+ scale that just isn't accurate.

The 2 stars are for the concept and tech... hoping that other body fat analysis companies will follow suit. if rating just the scale/fat functionality, then its a 1 star for inaccuracy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Scale, Crappy Product, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
If I knew that the customer support was going to be so poor, I never would have purchased a Withingss scale. I returned the scale at my expense to Whitings for a full refund 5 business days after I received it. Whitings has a 7 day deadline on accepting returned merchandise which was the reason for the rush.

The scale is beautiful. I connected the Withings to my MAC and it synchronized immediately. I stepped on the scale and my weight was transmitted to the account that I created on witings.com. It was amazing, but that was the last and only time that the Withings scale worked.

- I sent an email to customer service and I did not receive a reply.

- I called the customer service number deeply hidden on their website and no one returned my call. I felt like I was leaving a voicemail message on someone's personal cellular phone versus a legitimate place of business.

- I followed the troubleshooting tips noted online and nothing worked.

- When I was finally able to locate the return policy online, I sent another email to customer support and I received a reply from an individual who was polite and apologetic for my experience and asked me if I had tried taking out the batteries. It was a defective scale.

For a product which costs $160.00, one would think that customer support would include picking up the phone and calling the customer the old-fashioned way. Today I returned the scale return receipt requested.

I had a bad experience. For this reason I would not recommend this product. If you purchase a Withings product, you must set up an account online which gives a customer access to the Withings forum which is a blog by numerous owners. The one thing that many owners have in common is blogging about the technical difficulties that they are experiencing and looking to other members for troubleshooting help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent reference point and great ease of use, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
First, I would like to acknowledge that there will be a tolerance of error in any body fat measurement method whether bio-impedance, caliper, measurement equation... whatever. Some (hydrostatic measurement) are more accurate than others, but I try to keep in mind that it is all about consistent reference. When using a device like the Withings wi-fi, if one focuses more on progress over time rather than the difference in the scale's feedback and that of another form of body fat measurement then I think that user will be well pleased with the scale.

Cost

The price point for the Withings wi-fi scale is certainly a bit more than the typical bathroom scale, but, then agaib, it is intended to be far more feature rich than an average scale. If one is serious about body composition measurement, then I believe the Withings wi-fi scale is a great tool for long term use.

Maintenance

My concern before purchasing was battery life. I had seen a few reviews that cited poor battery life and I did not want to be constantly buying batteries (or worrying about rechargeable batteries). I am happy to report that I have had no issue with battery life. The batteries I put in my scale in June are, 6 months later, still going strong. The Withings website even allows the user to see the estimated battery charge remaining in the scale. After 6 months: 73% remaining. Not too shabby for using the scale, on average, of twice a week.

Utilization/Access

I also enjoy the iPhone app provided by Withings, as well as the fact that a few of my favorite websites/apps have API links with my Withings account. This means that not only am I able to see my results over time on the Withings site itself, but I am also able to see it in my Daily Burn account, Runkeeper account, etc. These sites allow for me to link to my Withings account and save me the trouble of manual entry or maintenance. Quite convenient!

Summation

I couldn't be more pleased with my Withings scale. Is it perfect? No. Is it the most accurate form of body composition measurement? No. What it is, however, is a convenient, consistent reference point for gauging one's body fat percentage over time. It is a great tool in the pursuit of improved health and physical well-being. Two thumbs up from this satisfied user.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but total lack of customer service means there are better, cheaper options out there, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
What do you get for your $160? A $45 scale in a really nice box.

I bought this based on Withings' promise that it would integrate with other health-related services like FitBit, Newleaf, TrainingPeaks, etc.

It failed to deliver on all counts. Even worse, the company's customer service is completely absent: almost three weeks have passed with no response via email, no phone number is listed on their website, and at some point in the past couple of weeks they shut down their customer support forums entirely.

Given the lack of response in combination with their 30-day return policy, I don't have a lot of confidence that I will ever see a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
May be my worst purchase ever. Luckily i was able to return it. Scale was off by 4-8 pounds constantly. Had 3 different scales side by side and this was the only scale that was off. Dont get me started on the body fat %. that was a joke. had my body fat tested with calipers and water, yet this scale showed me 10% higher, let alone my girlfriend who is a marathon runner and is in tip top shape, had her at 39% body fat. Customer support was a joke. Dont waste your money or you time....

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, and nonexistent support, March 31, 2012
This review is from: Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black (Health and Beauty)
Great idea, looks cool, and apparently it has worked OK for some folks because it has some good reviews, but read this review all the way through before you decide to buy.

My first problem was that I was unable to create a user for the scale on their website. There is no number to call for support, only a messaging service through their website and a user forum which they suggest you use first. There is nobody on the forum. Here is a link to the user forum, so you can see for yourself how worthless it is: [ the link was removed by Amazon, I guess they do not allow links within reviews]
So, I sent this message through their service:

"Opened the scale tonight, paired it successfully, but your website will not allow me to create a user. I input all of my info, then click "Save". A warning message pops up that says "Problem occurred during user creation." and I cannot get past this no matter what information I put for the user. The odd thing is, each time I click "save" the value that I have entered in the weight field shrinks by about half. So, for example, I put in 155 for my weight, click save then it gives me the warning message and reduces my weight to 70.3 lbs. Click save again, and the warning message pops up again, and the weight falls to 31.9lbs., etc. Very strange. I hope the main software is not as glitchy!"

Here was the response I got 2 days later :"Hello, Sorry for my late reply. I checked and it seems that your user was create successfully and your scale correctly linked to your wifi. Could you try to weigh yourself on the scale ? Best regards, Mathieu
Withings Customer Service""

Sorry, Mathieu, but no user was created on my account, but thanks for the brilliant idea of stepping on the scale to see if I can weigh myself.

The scale, by the way, did not work either. The faq on the website says that the scale works as a regular scale, even if you are not using the wifi/web features, but I could not get he scale to work just as a scale either. Customer support never even responded to a second message I sent about the scale itself not working.

Given the fact that there was 1) glitchy software on the website, 2) no/crappy customer support, 3) hardware defects on the scale itself and 4) a $160 price tag for a bleeping scale, I decided to return it and not ask for an exchange.

Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black