Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Showing 1-10 of 364 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
Alright, let's end some of the misconceptions about this product. You can choose to be angry at Warner Bros. for not releasing the extended versions of the later films. From what I've heard, they're not going to be released, let alone included in a set. That's no reason to rate this product so low. I've also noticed many have impugned this collection's quality without having seen it, saying the price is too much for some paltry, cardboard box and a few trinkets. I would posit that none of these posters have any idea what they're talking about. First of all, the chest these movies come in is huge. It is so much bigger than what the picture would have you believe, you will likely think your order was mixed up with somebody's purchase of a nightstand or a crate of oranges, perhaps. This thing is BIG. Secondly, it is SO friggin' heavy. I would lift this set to build muscle mass on a daily basis if I cared at all about not looking like a shapeless fatty magoo. Oh, and cardboard? Nuh-uh. This thing is made with some high-quality stuff. I won't speak to what kind exactly, since I failed my random materials 101 course, but I would place the outside of the chest's construction as much closer to wood than cardboard on a scale of thickness and durability. Finally, the presentation. Oh sweet gravy-soaked giblets, the presentation. This set blows every other set I've purchased completely out of the water in terms of presentation. As I pulled the chest's wings apart to expose its inner workings for the first time, a thought occurred to me: "This chest will be a family heirloom. My children will proudly present my Harry Potter collection to their children and relate some anecdote about how much this meant to them or why this set was super important to me." I'm having difficulty even now in believing this set was not itself crafted by actual wizards. As for the movies and the goodies inside, the Amazon description makes it clear enough what to expect. However, if you are waffling on this purchase because of all the disparaging comments made about its presentation and construction, DON'T. This is the coolest, biggest, most gorgeous collection of movies you or I could ever hope to possess in our lifetimes. Don't let cynicism ruin your opportunity to own something as cool as this set. Don't let your dying regret be that you didn't buy it.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ok, forget all the negative reviews from people who have never seen this set or who have no plans to ever purchase it. That's one of my pet peeves, is people who write a review about something they've not actually seen.

I just got this mammoth set in the mail last week, and let me tell you.........This is the MOST elaborate collection I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few as a movie collector over the years. I must admit that I held off ordering this because of all the negative "reviews", but finally decided to sell all of my ultimate editions and then bite the bullet and get the Wizards collection. The first thing you'll notice is that this is one solid piece of artwork. After I cleared off my coffee table and got it out of the box, I just sat and admired the detail on the outer box, which is truly astounding. Raised lettering, with gold gilding, and a feel of solid quality. I raised the metal hinged top door which reveals the first year disc set. Now these discs are housed in specially commissioned holders that were created just for this set. They are quite unlike anything I've seen before. You cold take all 8 out of the box and put them on a book shelf and they would look great. Each one has its own design, which ties directly into the film. The pages are of the thick foam type as seen in Alien Anthology, with the exception of the disc holders. Each disc is attached to a specialized plastic hub that is recessed into the foam page, which means that when it's closed, you don't see any plastic edges, but instead it looks simply like a book that could be placed on a shelf.

After looking over the beautiful disc holder, I pulled on the front of the box, which is held closed with hidden magnets. The front of the box then folds down and reveals what looks like an ornate travel trunk. You then slide two sides out which then reveals several drawers with metal pulls on the front. Each drawer holds more of the gorgeous books containing the discs, along with a lot of extra memorabilia. After looking through all of the different goodies that are in each drawer, I was then left to start pushing and pulling on a few "hidden" compartments in the box. I found a total of four secret areas housing; a scroll with UV codes for each film, a really pretty locket as is found in pt. one of the Deathly Hollows, a bonus blu-ray disc with over 3 hours of extra bonus features, and the final one containing a very nice cloth map, a paper map, and a hardcover art book.

One other note of interest, both parts of the Deathly Hollows include a 3D Blu-ray disc. While I have to admit that pt. 1 practically has no real 3D effects, pt. 2 is much better in 3D.

OK, now I know this has a hefty price tag, but when you consider what you get in it, I think that what you get is well worth the cost. This is a high quality set unlike anything I've seen before. I think it's mainly cardboard, but this stuff could practically be used in construction it's so tough. It is heavy, but it's also an item that has found a prominent place of display in my living room. It truly is gorgeous, and well constructed. Don't let all the negative "reviews" dissuade you as I did. If you are able to lay down the money, I know you will NOT be disappointed with this set. There is no need to ever have another release in the future, because this one is IT. I just don't see how it could be any better.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 31, 2013
Let's get a couple things out of the way:

1. Extended editions only exist for Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. All the people complaining that they won't buy anything until they see extended editions for the other 6 movies don't seem to understand that what they want does not, and will never, exist. ABC Family has spliced in the deleted scenes to their TV broadcasts to give the appearance of extended editions for the other movies.

2. Nearly all of the bonus footage and extra documentaries etc. is identical to what is contained in the Ultimate Editions. There is one bonus disc with a limited amount of unique special features in this product.

Now that we've cleared that up, here's what you need to know if you are considering buying this. If you want all of the special features that exist you need to either buy this Wizard's Collection or buy the 7 Ultimate Editions individually. If you buy the Wizard's Collection you get the awesome display box that looks like a Weasley's Skiving Snackbox. It comes with the secret compartments and all the special knick knacks that are only available through this product. If you buy the Ultimate Editions you will get 7 seperate movie cases that will all fit onto the shelf with your other DVDs/BRs.

So you need to ask yourself, "Is the price difference between the Wizard's Collection and the Ultimate Editions worth it to get the knick knacks and display box?" I answered yes and bought the Wizard's Collection and am very happy that I did.

As of today, the Ultimate Editions are selling on Amazon for about $38 each. 7 X $38 = $266. If you're going to spend $266 to buy all 7 Ultimate Editions, is it worth it to you to spend (insert todays price for the Wizard's Collection) to get the same footage plus the knick knacks and display box?

PS--Happy Birthday Harry! Happy Birthday JK!
on September 8, 2012
The Harry Potter Wizard's Collection is amazing. It seemed kind of pricey to me at first, but upon arrival I realized that it is worth it! The case itself is huge and has a leather feel on the outside. It is modeled like a trunk from HP. There are five drawers and three other cleverly concealed openings inside. Each movie and beautiful design on each book like case. I also like that there is a bonus DVD as well. There is a cute scroll with a code to get digital copies of each movie. I did not realize this upon ordering, but you also receive a Noble Collection horcrux necklace. The necklace alone sells for fifty bucks at noblecollection.com. Basically this set is amazing! There are the movies in blu-ray and DVD as well as hours of special features and behind the scenes. I like the extras as well. The labels book and prop book are very interesting and nice quality. I loved the large cloth map of Hogwarts and surrounding areas and the sketches/art prints. I recommend this set as it is unique and limited edition. (You can ignore reviews for this from before September 7th since that is when the collection was released. I preordered and received my set on September 7th).
on September 7, 2012
I just received the limited edition ultimate box yesterday, yes it costs a pretty penny but is completely worth it, each movie has about 4 discs of extra feature, and the newer movies even include a 3D version if you have a 3D TV for it. The memorabilia is awesome too, they have a limited edition blueprint of Hogwarts, a tapestry style print of the Hogwarts layout, a book of "artifacts" from production, a book of labels, a scroll style listing for all the DVDS with a code for the UltraViolet versions. The DVD covers themselves are amazing, each one has it's own individual color scheme that matches the feeling of the movie and each disc matches the box it comes in. My edition was the limited numbered edition because I pre-ordered, not sure if those are available still, but my edition also came with a Horcrux recreation, which was awesome, it's the Slytherin locket, and all the compartments are secret because I had to have my husband help me find some of the stuff which is awesome the way they put it together. Only thing is it's HEAVY like 20 pounds and won't fit on a shelf, but I think it's totally worth it. So even though the 350$ price tag is a little steep, I think this is a must have for any true Potter fan.
on September 8, 2012
Just received my package today. Wow! This thing is huge and heavy. When I pulled it out of the box, I was seriously impressed by the quality. It looks and feels, like a leather bound case. Very thick and sturdy. Metal hinges and metal drawer pulls. Extremely well built and impressive. The discs are in thick book like containers, in pull out drawers, lined with black velvet linings. I was trying to be so gentle and careful as I explored this beautiful set. At first I was so excited but then noticed I had not found all of the items yet. Where are the maps, book and special bonus disc at? But I then realized that this beautiful case holds secrets of its own. Magical secret compartments. Oooohhhh! The first secret compartment wasn't too difficult to find. It contained the maps, and book. But where is the bonus disc hidden? I started emptying the drawers, looking under the black velvet linings. Nope, not there. Examined the lid, nope, examined the front lid that lays flat, nope. Under case, nope. But then I found it! Brilliantly hidden! I pulled it out and there was the bonus disc. Finding and exploring this case to find the hidden compartments was just brilliant. I'm not going to tell you, just where, exactly they're hidden. That's for you to find out for yourself and have fun doing so. I waited all these years, because I just knew a massive collection would be released. And now I finally have it. Any Harry Potter fan would be thrilled to own this. Glad I waited, it was totally worth it. 50 points to Gryffindor!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2013
**UPDATED 6/17/13**
I've been slowly plodding through all 31 discs and finally hit a snag with DH1. It seems like those nasty "damaged movie" rumors are true, at least in part. Although the disc doesn't appear to be wholly damaged (I did check them all for scratches and found nothing out of the ordinary) this movie is unplayable in at least two parts, and it skips over a couple of scenes (it stops right when Ron is about to destroy the horcrux locket....effffff). I did attempt to call Amazon customer service but as the collection is no longer for sale through them, the most they were willing to offer me was a refund, despite it being past the return date. That doesn't work for me as I purchased this on a gold box deal and I'm not guaranteed that by spending more the quality control issue would even be fixed. So alas, it appears I am stuck with at least one damaged movie. I guess it's a good thing I didn't get rid of my old ultimate editions yet, so I still have at least one playable copy of DH. Just be aware that the QC issues haven't necessarily been rectified.

Let me preface this review by stating I bought this set during the Amazon lightning deal last week, so I paid $100 less than what it's going for now. I've wanted this since I heard it was being released last year, despite already owning (at that time) the Ultimate Editions of movies 1-6. I wasn't willing to pay $350 for it then, mostly because I just wasn't in a position to spend that kind of money. Despite buying DH 1&2 ultimate edition, I jumped on this lightning deal when I saw it because I wasn't sure I was ever going to see it for less. I am VERY glad I did.

This is not going to be a review full of whining about how expensive it is (though it is, quite obviously, expensive), or how it's cheap and Warner Brothers is just a bunch of greedy goblins for thinking any self-respecting Potter fan would dare be expected to pay this much for something that is not worth it. Those reviews were either A) written by Muggles (the worst sort imaginable) or B) written by people who don't even own this set.

I can say with full confidence that this set was most definitely worth the $250 price tag. It's actually probably worth the $350 Amazon normally charges, though not the $500 retail price (which I think most people know is a joke). I'm very thankful for having the opportunity to snag this for the lightning deal price, but I probably would have bought it for $350, I just would have waited and saved up a little longer for it. The detail on this set is ridiculous (or riddikulus), and I think Potter fans should be straight-up honored at the attention and care that went in to putting this together. Most complete movie collections out there come in some stupid slipcase, and maybe you'll get a dumb bust or action figure to go with it. Not so here. I'm not much for buying these collector thingies, mostly because they take up lots of room, but this is reminiscent of what I've seen of the super delux Lost set, or maybe even the Alias one that came in the Rambaldi box.

The box this thing comes in is MASSIVE, Hagrid-sized almost. It is NOT cheap cardboard, as others have noted, but a nice, thick, solid-feeling cardboard that is embossed with a pebbled-leather texture. There are metal handles and drawer pulls, and overall it has a nice, solid, sturdy feel. It's heavy too. So no cheap pacakaging or slipcases. The artwork is just lovely, and I think any real Potter fan will appreciate it. Each of the 8 movies comes in its own little cardboard book (like some kids books are made of), outfitted with its own coordinating color scheme that plays off the theme/color scheme of each movie. The discs included are the exact same things you'll find in the already released Ultimate Editions. What I will say is that the "extras" that came with the UE's (lenticular cards, collectible books, and character trading cards) are NOT included here, so the only thing that repeats is the actual disc-content. If you're a completist/super HP mega fan like me, you might want to hold on to whatever ultimate editions you have for this reason. I did not appear to receive any scratched discs like some others have, nor did any of my movies come out the cases. I haven't watched anything yet, but by the looks of it it's all perfect so it should be fine. No missing content either, so it appears they've sorted out their manufacturing issues.

The new content includes two books of graphic art, the Horcrux locket (metal Noble Collection version), a blue print poster map thing of Hogwarts, an EXTREMELY nice fabric tapestry wall hanging of the Hogwarts grounds, some sketches by Stuart Craig (very nice cardboard, all ready for framing) and some lithographs of art from each movie, also sutiable for framing. You also get a disc of exclusive-to-this-set bonus content; I have yet to watch that so I can't say if it's worth it or not, but it sure looks fun. You also get a little scroll with a code that enables you to download digital copies of all movies. Yes, I said download. You have to download the Flixster app (for your computer/smartphone/tablet), as I believe you do for all WB movies, but yes, you CAN download the movies to your device and watch them without needing to be online. You just need the Flixter app to do it, which IMO is not a huge deal, because it's not like they're going to be any better or worse watching through Windows Media Player or anything. So I call bollocks on anyone saying you can't download these and can only stream them. Lies. And we must not tell lies.

I'll wrap this up by saying that this set is marketed very specifically to collectors and mega-fans. If all you want is the movies, then this is not for you. If that's all you wanted, you have no right to go out there and complain that they're charging too much, because nobody's forcing you to buy it. It's a collector's set. You have the opportunity to go out there and buy the Ultimate Editions, thus obtaining almost the same amount of disc content you get here, plus they all have coordinated packaging that looks nice on a shelf together if you like that sort of thing. So what if you can't buy them all in one box? Does that really matter if you just want the movies? Probably not, so shut up if that's all your after.

If you don't already own any of the UE's, this set is a wonderful investment, even at the $350 price tag. If you consider you'll be paying around $30-$40 on average for each UE (depending on whether you're getting DVD or bluray, and depending on where you're buying it) you're paying a fair amount of extra money for the EXTREMELY nice presentation and extra collectibles and content. $350 is a fair price for this set. $500 is not, but nobody is going to be paying full price for this.

In closing, if you're a big HP fan, you CAN'T pass this up. You just can't. I know it's a lot of money, but the real HP fans out there (books and movies) are going to find so much to appreciate here. If you're scared of the price, it might be a good idea to get an Amazon card when you buy it. You'll get some money off and earn some points on it (not shilling for the card here, just offerring suggestions on taking the price down for those that might be concerned about it). If you just liked the movies and want maybe a handful of extras, you are much better off buying the individual UE's or waiting for a possible mid-priced set (which may never come). If you just want the movies with no frills, get the $50 box set that's out there. If you're one of those weirdos that has some odd sense of entitlement that, as a fan, you should be automatically entitled to the biggest bestest set on the planet, with loads of extras, for a ridiculously low price, then I suggest you either be quiet or stand in front of a mirror and cast a crucio curse on yourself. It's not going to happen. You get a lot of bang for your buck here, and while it might not suit a lot of fans, the people it IS marketed towards are going to LOVE it. It's obvious a lot of thought was put into this set, and it is definitely on the same level as some of the other similar mega collection sets out there. It's not like WB got together with some Death Eaters and purposely conspired to charge a lot just to HP fans. Members of other fandoms have been subjected to the same pricing system as us Potterheads, so we are definitely not alone.

I daresay after opening this box that I would be able to cast quite the formidable patronus. It's THAT awesome.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2012
I have always loved the Harry Potter series (both the books and the films) but I had never owned any of the movies. When this was announced, even despite the seemingly absurd price, I thought I would go for it, as I wanted to own the entire series and thought the extra stuff might be neat. I was not prepared for how this set would turn out.

When it arrived at my house I was taken aback by how massive the box was. I was expecting a large collection, but nothing I had imagined came close to the sheer size of this thing! The way the collection is designed is almost like a pop-up book in that as you open the box more elements fold out, pop up, or otherwise reveal themselves. Half the fun of this set is simply exploring all the nooks and crannies of this cavernous set. And the exploration is definitely rewarding. Obviously you have the 31-Discs of the set, containing the films, all previously released bonus features, and some brand new content; but the set also contains some cool artwork from the films including a couple books featuring pictures of many of the props and labels from the film series, a set of 5"x7" concept sketches, and 8 framable lithographs. Not to mention the cloth map of Hogwarts and its surroundings, a blueprint of Hogwarts Castle as used in the films, and, my personal favorite, a replica of the Slytherin Locket courtesy of The Noble Collection.

At a glance the price seems to be outrageous, but after getting my hands on this set, I can say it is well worth the cost. It's solidly made, and contains an impressive amount of extras. I was skeptical about the set, but it completely blew me away. If you're a die-hard fan of the series and/or you don't own any or most of the movies, I'd say this is definitely worth a look.
on September 12, 2012
This is NOT a "cardboard box." The packaging is absolutely beautiful, designed by MinaLima (the graphic artists who did all eight movies). Besides the 31 discs, there are lots of great little extras inside. My favorites:

- A Noble Collection Slytherin locket, which by itself retails for $50.

- A map of the Hogwarts castle and grounds, which is painted onto a thick fabric, and has hanging hooks on the back. When hung on a wall, it looks like a tapestry. Very cool.

- I know all those Ultimate Editions contain what they call "frameable artwork," but it's usually sketches of dragons or something that no one over the age of eighteen would ever want to hang on a wall. But this package did in fact include stunning, full-color artwork of things that the average Potterhead would actually WANT to frame, such as the Hogwarts castle from several different views. There were also gorgeous sketches by Stuart Craig of the castle, the graveyard, and Diagon Alley that are just begging to be framed; I don't have enough wall space to hang it all! This is the first time I've seen any "artwork" that I would truly consider "art" and not just "movie promotional stuff."

- The box is outstanding. There are lots of weird little drawers and hidden compartments. Some of the drawers have little gold handles, others don't. To open the ones without the handles you press in, and some device behind the drawer makes it pop out. I was not at all expecting that type of quality, since some of the other reviewers said this was just "a cardboard box." It isn't. Cardboard couldn't hold this thing, as it weighs a ton, and I had trouble lifting the box. No, it isn't wood, but it's certainly not a crappy piece of cardboard.

- A book of labels full of potions and Weasley products that is really beautiful and full of detail. They were selling sticker books last Xmas for $30 that weren't half as beautiful as this.

There were, of course, other books, posters, and cool things, not to mention the discs themselves, but I just really didn't expect it to be quite this well done, especially after reading so many of the bad reviews. I felt that it was well worth the price. I suppose if you already own all the Ultimate Edition Blu-Rays then you may not want to repurchase them just to get this box, but I absolutely LOVED this packaging and thought it was gorgeous. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
on September 7, 2012
Got the set today in the mail and it is awesome. The box is really well made and the extras are very high quality. I was most impressed with the book(lets?) that the discs are packaged in. Not only are they very sturdy but they are beautiful; the new artwork fits the HP universe nicely. Obviously this set obviously has a ton of creative input from those who actually worked on the movies.

But is it worth it?

-If you are a collector and a huge HP fan that has not bought the movies (waiting for something like this), then yes absolutely.

-If you already have the ultimate editions for years 1-6, then get the year 7 editions that will be out in October. You only are missing the extra pack ins, the amazing packaging, and maybe the extra bonus features (but I have a feeling they will find there way into the ultimate editions as well).

-If you have no need for bonus features then get the regular 8 disc blu ray that is still for sale for a very reasonable price (and really why complain about this set if there is already a cheaper product that fits your needs?).

-If you are waiting for additional extended additions, then keep waiting... forever. Or watch ABC family so you can see a few deleted scenes cut back in without director approval...

So in the end I rate this set 5 Stars because it really is epic. And for anyone out there that feels it is too much money and WB is screwing you, then this is not for you. WB provides MANY other ways to buy all the movies and I am sure you can find a set that fits your needs. This is not meant to be the budget version. There is only 63K of them and really that is not too many when you consider how many HP fans there are, so WB was never planning on selling too many of them.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...