Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 9, 2011
This game is the third installment in the D&D "Adventure System" of board games. If you're in search of more opinions, you should definitely check out the reviews for Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, as the games are all very similar. I also own and enjoy Castle Ravenloft.

They all use very loose adaptations of 4th Edition D&D rules. This particular game is (obviously) based on R.A. Salvatore's books about dark elf orc-stabber extraordinaire, Drizzt Do'Urden. As such, all the adventures are based on Drizzt's literary exploits (all the way up to Gauntlgrim, I was surprised to see), and the choice of heroes includes the Companions of the Hall, and there are rules for playing as (as well as against) the notable trio of ne'er-do-wells Entreri, Jarlaxle, and Athrogate.

Playing the Game
----------------

Each player chooses one of five pre-made heroes, and then chooses which of that hero's powers they'll use for the adventure (you take 4 or 5 out of around 10). Next, you follow the Adventure Book's rules to setting up whatever adventure you're playing (there are about 15 different adventures), and you make your way through the dungeon trying to complete the adventure's objective.

The "board" is made up of jigsaw puzzle-style pieces which you shuffle before the adventure like cards. You start with one tile as the "start tile", and then each player has the chance to draw a tile on his or her turn and add it to the tiles already played, which I'll get into next. This is how the play area expands.

Each player's turn follows the same order - move and/or attack with your hero, add a dungeon tile (unveiling a new monster), then activate the monsters you've unveiled. So, each player controls not only his hero, but the monsters he or she reveals. This is done by following the instructions on the monster's card, which tells you how the monster acts.

When a player dies, he or she uses a Healing Surge, which acts like a "continue". If a player dies and there are no Healing Surges left (you start most adventures with 2), the players lose. So, it's a no-man-left-behind situation.

You win, as I mentioned, by completing whatever objective the adventure sets out. Usually, this involves reaching a specific tile and killing whomever is hanging out there.

Enjoying the Game
-----------------

At the end of the day, this is a very streamlined game. The heroes have no stats other than AC, HP, Speed, and Surge Value (the amount you heal when you use a surge). You don't equip your guy, you can't level up past Level 2 (which entails adding 2 HP, 1 AC, and a new daily power), and there is no continuity between missions.

Strategically, the game is pretty simple. You don't have a whole mess of options, and sometimes it can be pretty obvious what the best move is, meaning the game can feel like it's playing itself sometimes. Honestly, when I first started playing these Adventure System games, I was disappointed. Being a "gamer", I'm no stranger to complex rule systems and this was just too simple for me.

But then I added friends. And not just any friends; non-gamer friends. Non-gamer friends, and booze. And jokes. And silly descriptions, and trash-talking (despite the co-operative nature of the game), and bouts of not paying attention. Basically, everything that absolutely ruins a regular D&D session.

The simple nature means there's very little to keep track of (once everyone learns the flow of play), and you don't need to clear your entire calendar to schedule a session. I've had a blast every time since then, and the game has quite a following now among my gamer and non-gamer friends alike.

If you go into it expecting it to be a very rich, very complex board game version of D&D, you're not going to be happy. But if you recognize it as the big box of toys that it is, man can you have some fun.
1010 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2011
I own all three of the D&D board games and this one is easily the best yet. The abilities are more fun, the playable heroes finally branch out somewhat from the tired old standard classes, there are eight playable heroes instead of five, and the new team challenge adventures and betrayal adventures are great additions to the rules. I also like that the rock walls look jagged and organic: the straight-line sameness of the dungeons in the previous two games made the environments dreary and boring.

My only complaint is that there are too few challenging monsters: these heroes and items are a lot more powerful - frequently granting the ability to reliably deal 2 damage per turn - and the 1-hp goblin monsters never stay on the board longer than 1 turn. Owners of Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon can remedy this by adding more challenging monster cards and figurines from those games - the Cave Bear and the Gargoyle come to mind.

I do think that "Legend of Drizzt" is an inappropriate name. Having played a half-dozen adventures in this game I can confidently say that Bruenor Battlehammer is the star of this show, and that nothing, nothing at all in any of the D&D Adventure System board games, can compare to the moment when he deals the killing blow to a dragon or a balor with his "headbutt" ability. Especially if he himself is at 1 HP at the time of use.

Because of this, my friends and I have affectionately renamed the King of Mithral Hall "Headbutts McGee," and we have dubbed this game "The Ballad of Headbutts McGee"

Dude will headbutt anything. And then it will die. I'm not even kidding.
44 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2012
I won't attempt to review this game in total, or go over the rules, as this has been done effectively many times before. I wanted to review it, however, as an experience for playing with young children.

Summary - 5/5

I have 2 kids, one 4 one 6.5. This game is excellent for introducing children 6+ to gaming concepts, and enjoying some quality time together. I would not recommend it as a first game, but once your kids have some basic ideas of gameplay, its cooperative nature offers a perfect blend of progressively independent action and bonding.

Theme and appeal - 5/5

The theme and appeal of the game is obvious. By the age of 3 or 4 most children will have been bombarded with a variety of fantasy narratives, and enjoy them. Spooky dungeons. Scary dragons. Heroic knights. While some parents may be concerned at the idea of crawling through caves and killing monsters, my personal view is that this comes very naturally to kids these days, and is in fact quite empowering - see a monster, whammo! blast it with a magic wand.

This game creates a very tactile upfront experience of the things they have seen on TV or in story books. The little miniatures are very appealing, both to my 3 (almost 4) year old girl, and to my 6.5 year old son.

Is it kid proof - 3/5

This game is sturdy and durable. You will, however, need to keep a close eye on all the bits, which can be easily lost if not kept in themed baggies, and without very clear 'putting away when used' rules.

The miniatures can probably take some abuse, but also need some care as there are bits that could be snapped off. You will also need to be disciplined with the cards. When my son gets excited, he waves his arms and is sometimes tempted to squish them inside his hands.

Assuming you play on the floor (which I do) you may also need to make clear no walking or rolling over the board rules...

Can a 6/7 year old contribute meaningfully, and feel fulfilled? - 4/5

Most certainly, but with guidance. Even a three year old can choose which corner of a new tile to explore, and count out spaces (although it helps if they have learned space counting in other games first). A 6/7 year old can choose which powers they want to use, although may need some tactical/strategic guidance.

I found the game offered plenty to make my son feel very fulfilled playing the game. We died in our first adventure, but despite this setback he was delighted to recall some of his more heroic moments, and how if we had only done this or that we might just have made it.

Can Dad enjoy it while playing with the kids? - 5/5

Certainly he can. One way to view it is as solo plus, in which you still may have to make a majority of the strategic decisions - which (despite some complaints about the game being too easy) are not always simple - but you also get the pleasure in sharing the experience with others.

You can also use the game to practice your story telling skills to a sometimes quite demanding audience!

Is it educational? - 5/5

OK, let's be clear up front that this is not going to enhance your child's understanding of world geography, or the way plants grow. It is fantasy.

But first up, I consider fantasy to be an important part of human culture, and one of the shared experiences that bind society together.

Beyond that, the game teaches social play. Teamwork. Tactical and strategic decision making. Logic. (If-then, if not-then something else). Basic AI. Planning. It encourages reading, and thinking about maths and probability. It teaches rule systems, and how to best use them to your advantage. What's not to love about this, especially in an era of electronic solitude?

Is it easy to learn/teach? - 4/5

Again, this puts a certain amount of onus on the parent. I highly doubt your 6.5 year old will be able to read and understand the rules without guidance.

I made the mistake of trying a first game without understanding everything myself, and my poor son was stuck watching me sweat my way through the rules (as can be seen from another posting I made). It might be a good idea to do a solo run first.

But once you get the basic concepts (how monsters move!), it comes quite easily. Yes, you do need to explain how the powers work. How the exploration works. How the monsters work. It is a lot to absorb at first.

But if your kid is interested, they will pay attention, and it can be revealed progressively through gameplay.

I am also amazed how much space a 6/7 year old has in his/her brain to absorb new rules... more than once I've opened an old card game and asked - hmm, how many do we deal to start? - only to have my son answer for me...

Does it play out reasonably quickly? - 4/5

I am assuming, with this score, that you know that you are in for a substantial game. i.e. This is not a ten minute frisson. The question is whether it can keep a kid's attention or not.

In my first game, I found myself wishing it would take a little less time. Not a lot less, but right at the end - when it went past bedtime, and was starting to drag a little.

That said, the denouement came roughly about the time I expected, and my son's attention was pretty gripped (allowing for a couple of short breaks). And there would be no harm in tweaking the game a bit... one or two fewer tiles, perhaps, before the final boss, could be one approach.

Is it fun? - 5/5

Yes! Its theme, fairly simple gameplay, and balance of achievement and challenge works well for kids. Everyone loves receiving a treasure. Everyone hates getting a nasty encounter.

Great game. And given it is a system more than a game, with a lot of variety, I hope to be playing this for quite some time.
55 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2011
When Heroscape came out from Wizards of the Coast I was livid. It was a board game that had fantasy elements and yet nothing in common with Dungeons & Dragons, and yet the Open Game License had been adopted by publishers everywhere to spread the D&D brand far and wide. It was like Hasbro thought the D&D license was good enough for everybody else but their own games. That all changed with 4th Edition. The Legend of Drizzt is the culmination of a synchronized brand strategy that's been decades in the making.

Long before Drizzt Do'Urden was a duel-wielding archetype envied by every power gamer, I read his originating tale in the Icewind Dale trilogy - along with Bruenor Battlehamer, Catti-brie, and Wulfgar. That was twenty years ago. Now the guy who was originally conceived as a sidekick for Wulfgar has his own board game, The Legend of Drizzt. Drizzt, you've come a long way baby.

The first thing you notice about The Legend of Drizzt is the sheer size of the thing. The box is heavy and for good reason - it includes over 40 plastic figures, 13 heavy cardstock sheets of tiles and a bazillion cardboard accessories, 200 encounter and treasure cards, a rule book, a scenario book, and a 20-sided die.

Let's start with the plastic figures. They're unpainted but molded in a variety of colors that match their appearance - water elementals and ghosts are in blue transparent plastic, trolls and goblins are in green, heroes are in dark blue, villains in gray, drow elves in purple...you get the idea. Speaking of villains, Drizzt's archenemy Artemis Entreri is here too in case you're interested in playing an antihero. Up to five players select a placard representing their character that includes critical stats (HP, AC, Speed) along with power cards for that character's class. There are at-will powers and encounter powers. Fans of 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons will recognize how much the tabletop role-playing game has in common with the board game. Critics of 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons will notice how easy it is to turn the tabletop role-playing game into a board game.

This isn't really so much a game about Drizzt as it is a modular system that can accommodate any setting. Change the tiles around, switch out the characters and molded pieces, and the same game could easily take place in Castle Ravenloft or in a dragon's lair, which is why the game is compatible with Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. You could just as easily use the components to complement your own role-playing game.

And that's the brilliance of The Legend of Drizzt. It takes the elements and branding of the role-playing game and takes it to its logical conclusion as a board game. The Legend of Drizzt is filled with dozens of fiddly bits, from stances to damage counters to healing surges to treasure chests. You can even level up from first- to second-level, which officially makes this the real "Basic Set" for converting gamers to the role-playing hobby.
on September 2, 2014
First a note: I haven't played any board games or done any sort of role playing game stuff like this in a long time. The last time I played this type of game was when I was 6 or 7 and played Hero Quest. I did play a lot of RPG video games though, so picking up the rules was pretty easy for me.

Another comment is I have so far only played about 8 games, doing one adventure after the other. Additionally, I have only played each game with one other person. To make things more interesting, I would sometimes play as two or even three characters at once.

Now on to the review.

The design of everything feels really solid. The game comes in a big box. It has two card decks (beginner and advanced, you can mix them together after your first few adventures), a bunch of miniatures, and a lot of cardboard pieces you poke out. It took about a half hour or so to poke everything out, and another half hour to inventory everything to make sure I wasn't missing any pieces. I liked the design, nothing felt cheap, although I did wish there was some coloring on the pieces to make them more interesting looking, but I will take a cheaper product over paint. Overall, I think the quality of the products was good. The artwork on the regular cards you draw is none existent on many regular cards, or minimal. That area could have been better to make the cards more interesting. I am happy though with the quality.

Now onto the game itself. I think this game would be fun with more than just two people. It took a couple games to get the rules down, and there were still a few things that weren't clear even after a few games due to ambiguity in the rules and on the cards themselves what something might mean. The rulebook was pretty good though. I would say it would require one person spending an hour or so reading the rulebook fully to explain it to everyone else for the first game. At first it was cool. I was drawing monsters, getting beat up, and eventually winning. I found that some characters are grossly stronger than others. For example, Wulfgar has a lot of health, so he can be taking a lot of hits, and he can heal by attacking. Drizzt can essentially block one damage a turn with one of his moves. Breunor has a ridiculously high armor rating, making it hard to hit him. Meanwhile, Regis and Cattie-Brie are able to be killed with just a couple bad card draws. So I felt like unless I wanted to play as multiple characters at once, I HAD to use one of the first three heroes mentioned to survive.

The game is pretty random, except for the fact that there really aren't that many possibilities. There are only like 10 different monster types, and you will most likely be drawing multiple versions of the same monster in a game. I felt like monster variety decreases replay value. The Villains though are cool, and make the game more interesting. The problem with them though, is you can just save up your daily powers for each character for when they spawn, and just converge on them with multiple characters at once. In just one round of turns, the Villain can be killed, despite having high health and doing massive damage. I felt like at time the game was too easy (I only lost once out of those 7 or 8 games), and too cheap during the time I did lose (I drew multiple "hunting party" cards in a row due to poor shuffling, which means drawing 4 monsters in just a couple of rounds. Traps are a real pain to get rid of, and the encounter cards felt really cheap sometimes.

Each character can choose its own attacks to bring each game, but at the end of the day, it is pretty clear that certain cards are superior to others, so you would have no reason to choose anything different. So I feel like there is some strategy in the game, but a lot of it plays itself.

When the game really can shine is when you are not on the same team as an other player. Then there is a lot more unpredictability, and it becomes much harder. I had a great time playing the adventure with Artemis, since the other player was putting monsters on whichever tiles I was on constantly to screw me over. Definitely a lot more exciting than just crushing monsters.

The games end rather suddenly. I don't know what I would expect. It just feels weird to have a big boss Villain come out, and kill it in 1 turn around the table.

I think the quality of the board and cards is good. I had fun during a few games. It was an interesting experience, and I will probably finish off playing the rest of the adventures that came into the box. Each adventure takes 2-4 hours to play (my partner took ridiculously long turns), and there are around 13 adventures in the game. They claim there are additional online, but they never released any. So at around 30 hours of entertainment for $45, it isn't such a bad deal. I would suggest considering if you have enough people to play this with before buying it though. It can be too boring and easy alone or with just one other person. With a group, I imagine it would be a lot more fun. I give it 3 stars, which I think is a fair score meaning somewhat good, but expensive for the actual entertainment time. I am used to buying games on Steam that last for 30 hours for only $5, so it distorted my value for entertainment dollars.
on December 12, 2011
BASIC DESCRIPTION
-----------------

This is the 3rd version of the Dungeons and Dragons games. The other two are here:

Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Wrath of Ashardalon: A D&D Boardgame

If you've played any of those games, skip past this part and go right to THE GOOD.

It plays the same and the parts are all interchangeable.

The basic game is played similar to Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition. You move a character, you attack baddies using class-specific skills and you finish a map by getting a unique item or killing a certain creature.

The rules make for a fun, quick game. After just two or three hours, you'll have finished a dungeon. This is awesome for players who don't have the time to invest into full-on roleplaying.

You can play this game by yourself or with up to 5 people. The more the merrier. You can play by yourself because the enemies all have their artificial intelligence listed on a card. For instance, you might get a card that says something like:

If this creature is more than 2 tiles away, it moves 2 tiles closer
If this creature is 2 tiles away or less, it shoots with an Attack +5, 1 damage
If this creature is adjacent to a hero, it uses a dagger with an Attack +2, 1 damage

Attacks are rolled with a 20-sided die (the only die needed for the game -- it is included). If the 20-sided-die roll + the Attack >= the hero's AC, then it's a hit. So you'd want to engage the creature adjacent to it so that it will have a low chance of hitting your character.

If you kill a creature, you gain a treasure and experience. If you ever roll a 20, you can trade experience to level up your character (can only be done once). A leveled up character has better stats and can have more skills.

Now onto the good parts and bad parts of this game:

THE GOOD
--------
The figures are the best yet. You get a bunch of goblins and undead along with some awesome trolls, a dragon and a massive Balor. They are not painted like the expensive miniatures, but you could paint them yourself if you wanted. They are very durable and extremely well-detailed.

Also, the quests in this edition are better than the others. They feel more personal. You get to know the characters better (they are R.A. Salvatore's already well-establish characters (note: I have not read his Drizzt stuff yet, so you still get to know the characters even if you haven't read his work)). The game feels more connected and less "go here, kill this guy, move on."

THE LESS GOOD
-------------
The previous 2 games had more solid cards. They were indisputably clear. Not so in this edition.

During the 2nd or 3rd quest, we ran into a boss character's AI that was not clear. It said something similar to: "If he is adjacent to only 1 hero, he attacks with a vampiric dagger. If he is more than 1 tile away, he approaches and attacks with a sword. If he is 2 tiles or more away, he moves 2 tiles closer."

What wasn't clear was what he would do if he was adjacent to more than 1 hero. He isn't more than 1 tile away, but he has more than 1 hero adjacent to him. Does he use the sword? Does he use the dagger? Is he scared and doesn't do anything? (that's what the goblin archers do -- it's not a ridiculous thought)

The next quest we did, we had to kill a dragon. The dragon's AI did some weird things. You had to be on his tile to attack him. But there were areas where you could be adjacent to the dragon, the dragon couldn't go by you and you couldn't attack the dragon.

As far as we could tell, the card didn't list if the dragon could fly over characters (we assumed it could). It didn't list what the dragon would do if there was no place for it to land (would it toss the characters aside so that it had room? -- we assumed it would).

It's not a major problem because everyong playing the game can just decide how to fill in the gaps. But it was somewhat annoying considering how perfect the AI was in the previous two games.

OVERALL
-------
If you like dungeon hack-n-slash style of board games but don't want to invest the time that mammoth games like Descent Journeys in the Dark require, then this is where you need to go.

These are my favorite hack-n-slash board games I've ever played.
on December 31, 2013
I am going to start with a little backstory on myself and on the D&D games in general. I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for about 25 years now and when I saw the board games come out I was a bit skeptical. Recent iterations of the RPG have watered down the mechanics and left a lot gamers frustrated by the lack of depth and complexity. I expected the same thing would have happened here (and it did out of necessity) AND, worst, that doing so was going to create a droll and boring boardgame (it did not).

Pros:
-quick to learn and get involved with. Even non D&D players can enjoy a dungeon adventure quickly while getting into some, but not all, of the mechanics underlying the D20 system.
-adaptive boardsetup makes it so that you can play the same adventure (or a very similar one by modifying the end villian) a near endless number of times because the dungeon will change
-The figure quality and materials of this game are a great quality. The miniatures look amazing. Take a moment to google "Legend of Drizzt painted miniatures" to see what some paint can do to them. Amazing
-I was laughing, cursing, and having a great time every single second of the game (even the frustratingly dangerous encounter seconds...albeit that was more cursing)
-The ability to blend it (tiles/monsters/equip/etc) with the other board games makes it even more adaptable.
-The cooperative nature of the gameplay makes it feel like an old school dungeon hack RPG. It's fun to talk strategy and plan the plight of your adventurers.

Con:
-Leveling up is difficult and you may play 4 games and only level a character once. It has a way to promote them in game by either a natural 20 or a battlefield promotion card from the equipment deck. There is only one battlefield promotion card and rolling a 20 may or may not be the luck of your entire game. I am four games in and have only leveled once.
-Each of the equipment cards includes a price in gold, but there is no mention of gold and money in any of the rules. It creates an opportunity to 'add-in' your own homebrew rules, but as it is- it is an extra feature that means little to nothing. One example of a homebrew rule we are exploring is that if you discard X price in gold (10,000 is our current test) and you can level a character.This also helps with the first criticism.
-YOU MADE A D&D GAME AND DIDN'T INCLUDE A CLERIC OR A MAGE. Seriously wizards? Sure, you can find a wand of magic missle or a wand of lightning bolt, but you dont have a player character who is able to cast spells as a default. You can't be a healer. I enjoy the fighters, but it's a pity that you dont get to get into the mysticism that is D&D. Maybe they are in other versions of the board game, but it seems foolish (and unfortunate) not to include. A lack of a cleric also makes it that much harder to make it through the game (old school RPG wisdom is you always need a cleric).
on December 20, 2011
I will start this review by saying I've never played the Dungeons and Dragons pen-and-paper game. I am, however, very familiar with D&D and Drizzt. I've played most of the D&D video games, my favorites being: The Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Baldur's Gate Series. I've also read most of the Drizzt books.

This game is fantastic in that it perfectly catches Drizzt's adventures from the book and feels very much like a turn based dungeon crawling video game. I'm very familiar with the D&D rules, even without playing true D&D. While this game is watered down to the extreme, there is still enough of the essence of the rules for you to know that it is Dungeons and Dragons.

On to how fun it is, and BOY IS IT FUN! There is one single player adventure, and some of the other adventures are easily adapted into single player use. Single player is not boring, but doesn't give you a grasp of how great this product is. Multiplayer is where it shines. There are 40 or so durable miniatures, including a few really big ones, and durable puzzle pieces that build your dungeon, or cavern in this game. It feels like you are building a puzzle and playing with a big box of toys all at the same time.

Jokes come fast and plenty while playing with friends. This game proves to be just as enjoyable making fun of, as it is playing it. Encourage your friends to get in character too, which makes the whole thing sillier and even more fun.

There are 13 adventures that come with the game. The adventures last from an hour, to an hour and a half. Each dungeon is randomly generated because you shuffle items like the dungeon tiles and monster cards everytime you play. If you go back and use different heroes as well, and there a lot to choose from, this game has considerable replay value.

This game really does feel like playing a CRPG. It proves to be more fun though. With the interaction of friends, choosing random scenarios, and characters to play through this game proves to be simply PHENOMENAL!

I didn't realize that board games could be this fun. I heartily recommend this to fans of RPGs, fantasy, and board games in general. Wizard's of the Coast has put forth an unbelievable product that is well worth the buck.
on August 31, 2012
The one- and two- star reviewers are right about these board games in at least one respect: This is not Dungeons & Dragons in the truest sense; it is drastically simplified, over quicker and, to some degree, rather mote linear. This is D&D with rubber pants, I ain't gonna lie. But that doesn't mean it's not a ton of fun. See, haters gonna hate, but this game is not for them. This game is for me and others like me.

See, I really want to like D&D. I wish I did, because I love the concept. But in my experience (which, I'll grant you, is limited to creating a character and doing a one-player campaign), it felt too much like trying to do my taxes and read The Lord of the Rings at the same time. I just couldn't get into it and I found that really disappointing.

Then I found out about these Dungeons & Dragons board game thingies. I looked into them and was delighted to find that it seemed much more up my alley. In the spirit of never knowing until you try, I bought the Legend of Drizzt (pronounced "Drist" by the way, thank you Google) on the basis that he's the only D&D character I'm at all familiar with.

And man, I'm glad I did. It says something that I've so far only played the first campaign out of the included adventure book and I enjoyed it enough to play it again.

So, let's talk content: This is one heavy box.

-Instruction Book: A little thin, so learning can be a challenge; there isn't enough information there to address every possible eventuality. You're gonna be invoking House Rules on a few occasions.

-Adventure Book: Something like a dozen campaigns, with enough variation to keep it fresh and interesting. There are two single-player adventures, several co-ops and some "vs. mode" stuff.

-Tokens: Thirteen sheets of heavy-stock cardboard popouts. That's enough to make certain other board games blush (Arkham Horror, you sexy beast, I'm looking in your direction). I highly recommend a good supply of Ziplock sandwich baggies. Still, I much prefer a token system to endless scribbling, erasing and scribbling again on a character sheet.

-Miniatures: there are quite a lot of these as well. They are used to represent the various heroes and beasties, and are moved around the build-as-you go, tile-based board throughout the game. They all look great, but there's just one problem: they're not guaranteed to all come out of the box in perfect condition. They're not likely to be broken, but perhaps awkwardly bent--one of my Drow soldier dudes is extending a sword whose blade curves sharply to the left. Likewise, the big mean angry dragon looks kinda silly with one wing sticking straight up in the air. There's probably a way to fix these that I don't know about.

-Cards: There are 200 in total, which may sound intimidating, but after they're all separated into their various categories (even if you combine the Beginner and Advanced decks like I did), it's really not that bad.

Well, there you have it, my review of The Legend of Drizzt board game. I hope you found it as informative and helpful as I tried to make it. I highly recommend this game if you're the right kind of person for it and if you don't expect what it isn't going to deliver. Happy Gaming!
on June 22, 2015
Even though this is very similar to the other cooperative board games produced by Wizards of the Coast, this game sets itself apart by recreating many adventures that Drizzt and his companions experience in Salvatore's novels.. which is pretty darn fun. For comparison, the Castle Ravenloft game was certainly thematic and brought back some fond memories roleplaying in the demiplane of dread; but it's not quite the same as participating in a dungeon crawl as Bruenor, Cattie Brie, or any of of the other the iconic companions. If you are on the fence about which cooperative game to purchase from WotC, the Legend of Drizzt might be the best option, since basically all these games are the same but it's more likely one of your friends has at least heard about the most famous drow, helping to enrich the experience.