Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wolfenstein: The New Order [Online Game Code]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on May 22, 2014
Seeing that many reviews are from angry customers who can't get their game to work, I've decided to put my thoughts out on this title to offset all of the nonsense in the review section.

I played this game on the following rig:
-CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz
-GPU: NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB @ 1367MHz/4100MHz (core/memory)
-RAM: Corsair 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
-HDD: WD Green 5400rpm (I think that's the speed)

Anyways...

Story:
This game has an excellent storyline that is developed very well. Each character you encounter (as well as the one you play with) has very realistic feelings and emotions that are portrayed very well by the vocal actors. You begin to become attached to each character, and want to drive on through the story to find out what happens to your friends (and your enemies).

The game has at least two playthroughs worth of replay value, as there is a key decision you make (choosing between two options) that determines how the rest of the game will turn out. I have examined the game's folder in Steam, and there are two variants of cut-scenes for each chapter that will play depending on which choice you make. About to go through my second playthrough of the game to see how the alternative would turn out.

It took me around 12-14 hours to complete the game on the second-to-last hardest setting, though I was looking for hidden items and health/ammo many times throughout the game to make sure I was prepared for whatever happened next. More on that in a minute.

Graphics: The graphics are very good, when speaking of maximum settings. My i7 rig with GTX 770 had no problem driving through the game with all of the graphic settings maxed. The graphic API used in this game is OpenGL. I was a bit displeased at the first startup because I wouldn't be able to track hardware temps and clocks with HWiNFO64 (or see current FPS because my info app is for DirectX titles), but I got over it.

I did run into the occasional texture glitch, where an item would be either completely invisible or hard to see (blending in with another texture), but a simple "restart from checkpoint" would fix it if it didn't fix itself after a moment.

Combat:
The combat is very reminiscent of the older shooter titles like Wolfenstein 3D, but at the same time it is very modernized. I'd consider it a very fine mixture of the old and the new. You have a plethora of weapons at your disposal, in addition to knives. You can do stealthy kills by creeping behind someone and knifing them, or you can throw a knife at them to take them out silently as well. You can find ammo and armor in crates and randomly around the map, or you can salvage weapons, ammo, and armor from the Nazis you kill. I found myself picking up guns and ammo from dead Nazis many times in this game.

If you need a game where you can just run in a room and kill a bunch of enemies, this is DEFINITELY your game. For some reason getting kills in this title was much more satisfying than any CoD or Battlefield title I've ever played. Probably because they were Nazis ;)

The bosses I came across were at some times difficult to figure out how to take down, but once I figured them out, it was all fun and challenging. (I managed to get through this game without referencing to YouTube or using any guides.)

Issues:
Occasionally, the game would crash to the desktop for no apparent reason. After this, I would simply open the game again in Steam, and it would work again. No idea what happened or caused the crashes, as there was no error pop-up or anything. I just shrugged, restarted the game, and went on.

Overall, this is a great game when it works. It is a combination of new FPS and old FPS, tied in with a great story and entertaining (yet sometimes challenging) combat. I would recommend it to any fan of previous Wolfenstein games, and any FPS gamer.
55 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2014
This is a great 'old school' flashback. It took about an hour to install and update (Steam), and it automatically set all the correct options upon initial play. (i7, 16gigs, GTX 660, etc.) Solid, smooth mouse control, standard keyboard functions, - graphics sharp, no problems. (I'm only an hour or so into the game.) I do find game play a bit 'frenetic' at times, but that's obviously the style. I mean, come on: this is Wolfenstein! (NOT Bioshock Infinite). Perfect for my tastes, as I don't like to stay up all night until it's over -- I prefer to pop in, shoot & stealth around, check out the scenes, then leave and go back to my 'real' life. I like it! Plus, the $10 Amazon credit and key for Doom 4 beta makes the cost more reasonable. Recommend to those who know what their purchasing.

UPDATE: Added max stars. I'm several hours into this game and it is splendid! Like being apart of a 'movie'. Lots of fun stealthing around or just shoot-em-up! I'm impressed. Has not crashed, froze, flickered at all. Kudos to Bethesda, developers, art directors and designers. Good job!
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2014
Not sure why people giving it 3/4 stars - this is absolutely amazing shooter where you can go rambo-style or choose stealth action, with lots of unlocks, upgrades, perks, ethical choices, romantic story, drama, you're basically taking part in a real-time movie, playing B.J. Blazkowicz against f..g huge robots, ubersoldaten, mechanic dogs, dark experiments, within an alternative history environment where nazis won the war, with amazingly designed and modeled weapons and gothic urban environment, i.e. everything you expect to see in games like that. Music and sound are simply amazing, always in time, never misses a moment. Graphics is superb - they're either using some modern tonemapping algorithms or something like that, but all the faces are lifelike, sometimes i had a full impression i'm watching real movie. Blazcowicz lines and multiple letters/diaries/newspaper cuts creates unique mental atmosphere in the game - that's not just "point and shoot" game, you really feel all that stuff, the environment, the mood.

The credits at the end shows how _huge_ was amount of work done, how many people was involved in a project: there's like 200 or so names in the list.
Machinegames - my congratulations, you're the best, guys.

PS: WtNO is a direct successor to a 1992 Wolfenstein 3D, i don't know why people comparing it to RTCW. All the patterns, including doors/secrets locations, f...g big robots, final bosses, collectibles - all that leads directly to Wolfenstein 3D, not RTCW.
on May 20, 2014
When you see words "New Order" you probably know what's behind it.

The game takes you back in 1960s, when you have to fight Nazis after they won WW II. Don't you want to jump into the game and change it already?

Lots of FPS veterans and new players will enjoy this fast paced first person shooter.
With that being said, one probably should set right expectations for this game:

- if you want to jump into non-stop "shoot them all" action, you will love this game so much that you will want to play it over and over.
- but if you want some serious main story line (other than shoot them all), you might not enjoy this game as much.

One big "negative", you have to pick up ammo manually. However, when you think about it, it might not be as negative as you think, just more realistic. :)
55 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2014
This is a classic 1st person shooter.
Really fun to play and a good story line.
You would be better off buying the 4 disk set
instead of downloading it from steam.
Your installation time will be shorter if you buy the physical disks.
on April 12, 2015
The game is good so far, and after 11 hours I'm about half-way through it, playing on the hardest difficulty, Uber. The game is very long compared to most modern day FPS games, so you get your money's worth of content (hopefully you will buy it on sale). The game is challenging on the hardest setting, like playing COD single-player on Hardened or Veteran difficulty.

I'm running the game on an Intel i7-4770K and GTX 780 with 3GB GDDR5 and Windows 8.1. The game runs very well and with no issues.

I did not give 5 stars due to a few things lacking polish: there are some odd quick-time moves that are not made clear, which you made need to go to a FAQ for help to get around (like running and sliding). Some of the levels are very large and the gameplay gets repetitive in those areas, especially if you die and have to start a long section all over again.

However, the game does have a basic skill system to improve your abilities, and you can play the game either focusing on stealth, guns-a-blazing, or somewhere in between.

Overall it was a good game to buy on sale (bought for $30 at the time), and I'm happy with the purchase.

EDIT: Updating my review after completing the game. Near the last part of the game some of the enemies on Uber became really tough, so I recommend scaling it back to "Death Incarnate", mainly to avoid the number of reloads. I finished on Uber but it became a real grind trying to redo some of the levels at that skill, as the enemies were a lot tougher than the damage your weapons could dish out, and if you reload some checkpoints you are thrown into areas without some weapon and equipment pick-ups that put you at a big disadvantage on Uber.

Overall I spent about 26 hours, which is a lot of gameplay for a single-player FPS these days. Also I just started playing the prequel game, Wolftenstein: The Old Blood. I'm 11 hours into Old Blood and really liking it, as the gameplay feels more natural due to playing through New Order first. I found I had to upgrade my graphic card drivers to play Old Blood, so they must have adjusted a few things in the engine in the sequel.

If you plan to buy this title, you may want to see if a combination package becomes available to give both titles at a lower price, with both New Order and Old Blood together.
on September 24, 2014
This game is an absolute study in why Amazon reviews must be taken with a grain of salt, and if you wish to glean any useful information from them you really need to wade deep to get a sense of what's really going on with a product. Note that this game has a very high proportion of 1 and 2 star reviews. I'm willing to bet these people have A) crappy internet connections B ) outdated hardware C) anachronistic and unreasonable fear of Steam D) all of the above. I read the system requirements and they say in simple English that you need "Intel core-i7 processor or AMD equivalent," "high-speed internet connection," and a pretty nice GPU to run the game. That's pretty clear to me. Why all these people are giving THIS GAME bad reviews because THEY have crappy computers or crappy internet is a real look into human nature and just how yellow-tinged the shallow end of the gene pool is becoming.

My system is pretty good, but it's by no means supa-bad by today's extreme computer freak standards. For your reference, here's what I'm running:
AMD FX-8350 CPU, stock clock 4.2 ghz (I don't really feel the need to overclock this thing)
Arctic Alpine 64 CPU cooler
nVidia GeForce GTX 760 ACX
8 gb GSkill Sniper 1833 RAM (I don't really feel the need for 16 or 32 gb RAM, I never use more than 50% of the 8gb)
Crucial MX100 512gb SSD
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 MoBo
Windows 7 pro
Very reliable and very fast high-speed internet from that company that everyone hates

I downloaded Wolfenstein TNO through Steam in about an hour with zero problems, was off and running playing the game with zero problems and played the entire game to the end without a single crash or hiccup.

This game is fantastic. The graphics, the gameplay, the sound, the slaughter, the story-all are absolutely top-notch. I put it in the top 5 best PC games I have ever played. Please note; I have been gaming since PCs were programmed in BASIC and the Commodore 64 was actually considered a "computer." I fell in love with the original Wolfenstein. I'm talking the Wolfenstein Carmack and Romero copied and built upon, and used to launch iD Software and the whole concept of the first person shooter into the universe. I have played all of the PC iterations of Wolfenstein, and I hope it means something to the potential buyer that I was not disappointed in The New Order at all; in fact I loved it. There are a couple of the usual bugs; what FPS have you ever played that didn't end up with some dead guy's leg stuck halfway into a wall at some point? Five stars. Forty bucks worth. I will play it again and again, like all the other Wolfensteins.
on February 11, 2015
Wolfenstein: the New Order is in the classical tradition of the original Wolfenstein that came out on 3 1/2" disks. Thoroughly enjoyable although some of the solutions, like mastering the sprint slide, are a bit tricky. But that is part of the whole game experience. One serious disappointment for me was that the four disks that come with the package do not comprise the entire program. I thought in buying the disks that I would avoid the time consuming download process, but no! The disks cover only 27gb. It is necessary to download the remaining 13.5gb, which in my case required more than 4 hours. In the time I was waiting for the disks to arrive I could have bought a download copy and downloaded it a dozen times!!! Lesson learned. Otherwise, buy it whatever way you prefer. I think you will enjoy.
on February 20, 2015
The graphics are great but the story line failed to capture my attention after 3 weeks. The levels seem repetitive and on-going. Many people have said the games takes a step back to the classic Wolfenstein which I think it does. But the games of then as played against the games of now just don't come to par. It needed more story I'd say.
on March 30, 2016
not well coded for PC...maybe works better for kids with PlayStation or some other console where there are joysticks and other extra buttons. On the PC, AI movement is to complex to allow you to us the keyboard effectively. maybe that is why the PC version is so cheap compared to the console versions...