1,678 of 1,696 people found the following review helpful
This is the second slide scanner I've owned. The first one was a pain to use and the images were bad at best. I don't recall the brand and I tossed it out a long time ago. Last year my wife handed me a box of old slides she found when she was at her parents and asked me to "get them on the computer."

I found a highly recommended scanning service on line, sent them the slides and some money. Three weeks later I had my slides back and a CD with the scanned images. I thought they looked great, certainly better than anything I could do with my old scanner.

Last month I saw that Wolverine was selling this high resolution scanner. I've been using their Wolverine PASS200 Handheld Portable Documents, Books and Photo Scannerfor a while and figured if they could make a hand scanner work as well as it does then their slide scanner would be worth a try.

Compared with my old scanner, this is a joy to use. It scans a slide in a few seconds. The internal memory can hold 8 or 9 slides and you can add your own SD card to hold as many as you need. It comes with a 120/240V 50/60Hz adapter. However all it needs is any USB compatible connection so you can connect the cable to a computer or any charger or USB battery power supply, for example the Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery / includes universal cable with USB and mini USB, you have handy. That means, by the way, that not only do I NOT need a computer to scan in slides and negatives but I also don't need a wall outlet.

I have also found a dust blower very handy. After I put slides in the carrier I give each side a few puffs and the resulting scans are dust free. You probably already have one for cleaning dust off your lenses and the insides of your cameras. If not, something like the Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Blackis what I use and it works very well.

OK, back to those professionally scanned slides. The video shows three of them, first as they came back from the scanning services and then as they were scanned by the Wolverine. My images were not adjusted or edited in any way. From my experience, as shown in the examples provided, the Wolverine does a much better job of rendering clear, vibrant images.

Please feel free to let Amazon and me know whether this was helpful to you or not, since it helps me improve my reviews.
5858 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
I agree with reviewer JD4X4. The 14 MP digital image is very good for this simple inexpensive converter. I doubt if there would be any noticeable difference if you were to use one of the more expensive converters so I wouldn't waste my money. I digitized about 200 slides rather quickly and was very pleased with the result. While the literature says that it takes about 5 seconds to digitize each slide, it actually takes between 1 and 2 seconds. I inserted an SD card into the converter and then downloaded the images to the computer. You can also download the images directly from the converter to your computer. With some minor photoshopping, I was able to restore the Kodachrome images to their original condition.
The only downside is that you have to be very careful when placing the slides in the carrier. They have to fit in precisely otherwise the carrier will not close properly and it may jam in the converter and possibly damage it. Badly warped slides may also prevent the carrier from closing properly. Aside from those cautions, the Wolverine F2D14 is an excellent investment.
on December 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
This product is what you've been waiting for if you have lots of slides and negatives to digitize, and have been putting it off due to the slow speed of a flatbed scanner (as I did .. for 10+ years!).

It doesn't have the resolution of a flatbed or other film type scanner (although it rivals them), and isn't the choice for a pro photographer, but as an advanced amateur with darkroom & scanner experience I find the color balance, quality, and resolution to be more than adequate for a good 8x10 print from a partial 35mm frame. The speed blows away other methods and the color and quality is better than other products of this type that I have tried (and were unacceptable). NO color noise like some others.

The only things lacking are digital ICE or something of the sort, and EXIF info when changing the scan EV. Dust and scratches need to be corrected in photo software, as does a bit of color correction when using old or odd film stock. But IMO the amount of time & effort the touch-up takes is minor enough to still put you ahead of the time (and money) involved if you were to use a flatbed or film scanner. There is EXIF info in the jpg produced, but it doesn't reflect the EV used when scanning (always shows 0.0 EV) and it would have been nice to have a comment that at least said it is a scan from film .. but not a deal-breaker for me.

I scanned 500 negative frames in two evening sittings! When I finish my negatives, it's on to the slides and the relatives' shoe boxes full.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought the Wolverine F2D14 to scan 35mm slides that are 30-50 years old and be able to preserve the old memories. I like the compactness of the product, the speed of operation and the fact that this is really a camera taking a picture of the slide and has no moving parts (other than the manually operated slide carrier). And I liked the 14 MP size of the resultant image - this would allow cropping some of those old photos and still have adequate resolution. However, I have used this unit to convert about 75 slides and I'm sufficiently disappointed in the quality and consistency of the images that the Wolverine F2D14 has been returned.

I like the fact that there is exposure compensation by setting the EV numbers over a +/- 2 EV range for brighter or darker images, but this really doesn't work well for darker images.

If your slides are well lit with a good tonal range, this unit will work adequately. But if they are a little dark and have contrast, this unit will not provide a proper copy. The light intensity is not sufficient to illuminate a darker slide sufficiently so that the internal camera can capture the image adequately. And the light intensity is not completely uniform - the center is brighter than the outer edges - this mostly shows up on darker images but also on well-lighted images when compared to the projected picture. Sometimes, the internal camera is fooled by its automatic settings and the color fidelity is compromised.

The fidelity of the digitized image is disappointing when it is compared with the projected slide image in a darkened room. I can fix some of these things in Photoshop, but some of these issues are beyond fixing.

My old slides are too important to digitize them with mediocre results just to say that I've done it.

I still don't know what I will use to convert these slides to digital. It will probably be a much larger and slower flatbed scanner that can accommodate slides.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I used 35mm film for years and as a result have huge library of slides and negatives. Since I received this as a gift at Christmas I have scanned over 5,000 slides, and a much smaller number of negatives. The scanner works spectacularly for slides. I have printed photos from the scans on my home printer and am very pleased at the results. As with any scanner, the operator has to keep the machine clean, and at times you have to adjust the exposure to get the best scan. The slides that I have scanned to this point are all thirty to forty years old, but some of the scanned results are certainly fit for framing and display.

I have not tackled many of thousands of negatives I have, but I have tested the process. Negatives are harder to handle than slides. The only disappointment I had was in the quality of the negative tray that came with the scanner. It did not close magnetically like the slide sorter, and was hard to use. I ordered a set of three additional trays which are magnetic. I recommend that for use with negatives.

I would also recommend using a memory card. The internal memory is quite small. I use a 4GB card and that holds several hundred photos. I also recommend using it as a stand alone scanner, this has has worked well for me since the computer does not infringe on the work area when sorting through the negatives and slides.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product because I have over a thousand slides from the 60s to 80s to digitize. I previously had several hundred converted by COSTCO. However, this converter pays for itself after converting 250 slides. I purchased this specific product because I wanted 14 megapixels, which allows for better quality when viewed on the big screen. I want the best quality possible when recreating my grandpa's slide shows and showing them with the computer projector on the wall. I hooked up the product directly to my MAC. There were no issues with the interface. However, each individual photo does not automatically upload to the computer after converting it on the product. It takes an extra two or three button pushes to copy the photos to the file on my computer. So, I convert as many photos as possible on the product before transferring them to my computer. Because of the large file size, the product can only hold 5 or 6 photos before I have to transfer them to my computer. This does slow down the process if you want to quickly put them on your computer. I recommend doing one of two things. One, use a large memory card instead of transferring to the computer directly. You can convert hundreds of photos that way in a few minutes (takes about 2 seconds per photo). Two, which is what I do, copy the five or six slides to my computer and take that opportunity to rename the files under my own filing system.
The directions included in the product seemed confusing the first time I read them, but once I began using the product, it was intuitive. I have not used the photo editing features on the product, so I cannot comment on those. I edit the photos in iPhoto after I've uploaded them.
I was very pleased with the size of the converter. Of course, I saw the dimensions on the product specifications before I purchased, but the size did not register with me. The base is slightly larger than the palm of my hand and it weighs about as much as a large mug full of water.
on May 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
OK. I've used this scanner for a week now and have scanned in over 2500 slides. Here's my take:

Pros:

I obtained this scanner because it had one good feature. It is stand-alone. I could scan slides on the kitchen table if desired so you are not tied to a computer and do not have to install any software. The LCD screen is adequate. The EV feature is nice and seems to work OK as does the automatic exposure. The 14 MP was another reason for obtaining this unit. Cropping and zooming gave acceptable results. The scanner does do some cropping of its own, so be aware.
The slide tray seemed flimsy but held together for the entire 2500 scans. The manual said do not reverse tray movement but I found you could reverse somewhat to center a photograph due to the sloppy detent. The scanner has another plus, it will load all the scans to a memory card. It happened to be the same card my digital camera uses and the scanner made its own directory so this allowed me to load hundreds of scans before uploading. The scan time is fairly fast, about 2 seconds, much faster than the 5 seconds specified.

Cons:

The slide tray and scanner detent leave much to be desired. The slots for slides are cut to exactly the nominal specification for slides. Trouble is, not all slide manufacturers followed this precision. Some of my slides were too big and had to be shaved down to fit. The slide tray, when inserted into the scanner, slops around negating the precision required to place the slide! If photographs have a horizon you have to be careful it is not tilted. I could scan only about 100 slides per session because my fingers got sore snapping each slide into place.

The top buttons did not always work correctly and slowed things down. Sometimes when pressing "flip" it went to "EV" instead.

When using negatives the pictures came out very light when shown on the screen, so I EV'd them down. When copied to the computer they were very dark. I had to re-scan with the EV at 0.0 and let the seemingly too light pictures scan as they may. Then they came out all right on the computer. The negative holder sprocket pins were off registration to the holes in the negative strips losing portions of the picture. No amount of manipulation would place the negative pictures between the bars of the negative holder. It was either one side or the other. Reversing the negative did not help.

I would like to give this unit more stars, but in good conscience, I cannot.

Update: Two weeks later. I finally figured out a way to register the negatives so that problem went away. However, it does not affect my overall review.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2012
I bought this green Wolverine 35mm film to digital converter a few days ago. Well, it took me 20 minutes to figure things out. It is simple. This is what I wanted and needed. I can scan fast and take about 5 second or less per frame. The screen was small but good enough. I read the manual a little further and see there is a jack for TV output. Why not give it a try. I found a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable and plug it in to the back my 22 inches LCD TV. Wow!!! I can see much better detail. It was so much easier to work with a big screen.

If you are already impressed how well this thingy work, you would be absolutely blown away by how nice the image look and work with on a bigger screeen on TV.
on February 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
Before I bought the Wolverine I had another negative scanner and it was rubbish, then I got a flat bead negative scanner, it was took 3 minutes to scan 1 photo and the results were really bad. Next I got the Wolverine. The good bits, it only took about 3 seconds to process 1 photo and the results were very good, IE: colour and clarity at a good resolution.

Down side but not bad: The photos in the display are deceiving because the photo looks better when it is processed. Every negative MUST be wiped clean (easier with a micro fiber cloth like used for cleaning glasses) and wipe out the dist on the glass inside the unit. use a blower of some description to remove leftover dust both on the negative and inside the unit, this will help to get good results. For best results You will have to use a program like ADOBE PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM 3.(recommended). Would happily recommend to a friend.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've spent a morning with this nifty little box and already scanned in 350 slides & negatives. I think it does slides best, then color negatives, then B&W negatives, in that order. Or perhaps my B&W negatives did not "survive" the past 20 years so well (everything was in archival sleeves). This device gives very large images (14mp, 4608x3072) in about a 2MB JPEG. As with the other positive review, I would say it exceeds a professional service and has already paid for itself by my morning's work (plus when you do it your own, you put more "TLC" into it than some guy in a sweatshop). I will try to post some unprocessed samples. A Giotto blower is indispensible, as are some lint free cloths to make sure your slides & negatives are clean ("garbage in - garbage out"). For such a cheap device I'm very impressed, and if it croaks by the end of the day (I'm having a marathon session of scanning) it will have paid for itself. Also - the scan time is incredibly fast, just a few seconds. My previous attempt 10 years ago it was minutes per slide, so this is a huge timesaver!
review image review image review image review image review image

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations