on February 16, 2013
Size Name: 12 3E USColor Name: Brown
First, people telling you to go one full size down are correct. My size is 10.5 inches on a standard ruler, and I got 9.5 sizes boots. They are still a touch bigger in the toe than I would have expected, even one size down. My foot is narrow, so I got a D width. You want to go a full size down in length. (I also have some Alden boots, and the 9 Alden is the same size as a 9.5 Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot. I also have a size 10 Doc Marten shoe. All are exactly 12 inches long from heel to sole tip. If that helps you size things, use that as a practical guide.)

Second point, the leather is a thicker but still supple grade of leather than most modern products. The first day I put them on, the boots were comfortable. The boots did not pinch or bind. The leather was already fairly ready to wear. This kind of surprised me. I am used to thick leather being, well, thick and inflexible. But the tanning and curing process on this stuff must be more akin to better-quality leather clothing than we are used to in other products these days.

Third point, the heel is made of a vibram rubber, but the rest of the sole is a thick leather. If you live in an area of frequent rain or snow, this presents a problem, because wet sole leather is slick. Wolverine's *Courtland* 1000 Mile Boot has a rubber sole, so think about that if you are concerned about such stuff. The Alden "Indy" boot also has a rubber sole, which makes it a better sole for wet conditions. The comparable Red Wing Heritage boot has a rubber "commando" sole that is better suited for snow and wet conditions, but I have had both the Red Wing and the Wolverine boots in hand, and I think the Wolverine boot had better leather. So I went with the Wolverine product. Still, I think this is the largest flaw in the product. If I ever have a cobbler resole the boot, I will address this at that time.

Fourth point, the toe cap is *not* steel, but rather a plastic molding. If you need stout protection from something like bricks falling, this is not the boot. The plastic protects the boot's shape and look, not your toes. Similarly, the heel cup is there to keep the boot's shape. It does not feel like the sort of form that will provide protection from a crushing force. Put simply, these are boots, but not hardcore shop wear boots.

Fifth, the hooks for the boot lacings are nice features. They allow you to get the boots on and off easier than eyelets all the way up would. The Red Wing Heritage boot has eyelets all the way up. I prefer the hooks.

Sixth, I have a high natural arch. The boot seems to accomodate it well, and I may not bother with any inserts. I stand at desk all day (it is a stand-up industrial desk used for work) and my guess so far is this will not be a problem. The boot seems to be made to fit real feet. Still, some may want inserts to make the boot more like Ecco or other modern designs to "cup" the foot.

Finally, if you are looking for a full "dress boot", go up to the Alden. If you are looking for a slightly less expensive everyday boot to wear with jeans or even khakis, this will do well. If you need a daily work boot for hard conditions, don't buy either Alden or Wolverine--they are a bit too dandy.

Edit: I have had the boots for about six months now, and they still look excellent, wear well, and overall provide great footwear.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2013
Size Name: 12 3E USColor Name: Brown
I've had these boots for a couple of years and at first I was very impressed. The Horween's leather is thick and smells amazing, the fit and arch support are excellent and the craftsmanship appears to be first rate. They do run a little big as many have stated, but I feel it is only a full size unless you are comparing them to sneakers; otherwise a half size down should do. I normally wear a 12-12.5 in a real shoe and the 12's in these fit me fine.

There are some flaws that bear mentioning in a $350 boot. The leather sole is quite thin; more what you'd expect in a dress shoe. These should have a double leather sole or a thick leather midsole. The heel stack appears to be leather, but upon closer inspection is some kind of cheap imitation. The foot beds also appear to be synthetic. How much money could that really save? Lastly, and this is inexcusable is a lack of customer service; Wolverine did not even reply to my query about having then resoled. After I put a little more wear on them I will send them out to Nick's or Drew's and have them upgrade them to the double sole and leather heel stack. For a few dollars less a pair of Red Wing Beckmans are a better option and if you want a really premium pair of boots a pair of White's can be had for only $50-$75 more; customer service with both companies is first-rate as well. They are nice, but given their faults compared to their price I would not buy another pair. $350 should buy no corners cut and good customer service.

Just followed my own advice: sold my 1000 milers on ebay and put the money toward a pair of White's Semi-Dress!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2014
Size Name: 8.5 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Wolverines are fantastic boots, this would have been my second pair of 1000 Mile's. Unfortunately, these boots never go on-sale so when I saw them here for such a low price I had to jump at them. When they arrived, they were factory seconds... of which the website never says so. You can tell because Wolverine punches a hole in the bottom of them and they had scratches all over the bottom of the sole. However this seller filled these scratches and holes in with a similar colored material. Both boots were not even, one sat higher than the other. The leather was messed up and not all the way black. A total crap pair. I called Wolverine and confirmed that they are not an authorized seller. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2014
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: RustVerified Purchase
I bought these shoes 8 months ago and the heel has already broken off. Other than that they are very comfortable and nice looking.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2015
Size Name: 11.5 3E USColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
Don't buy these. They're beautiful boots but made like crap.
I bought mine less than six months ago and wore them almost every day.
Last week I tripped on a curb and the sole ripped off by 3 inches or so. The stitching, I learned, is very week. I promptly called Wolverine and a "1000 mile specialist" emailed me back. After photos and proof of purchase and all that, wolverine offered to pay for half of the resoling cost. HALF.
That's it. These boots didn't even last six months and that's all they offered.
I'd possibly accept that if these boots were $150, but for $300+ dollars, these boots should have a guarantee.
On top of the poor craftsmanship, these boots have a leather sole which is terrible, I learned. But I don't have time to go into that.
If you want some good boots, get Red Wings or Filson boots.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2013
Size Name: 12 3E USColor Name: Brown
These boots are truly something else. Nowadays it is hard to find products that are real quality and have decent craftsmanship. I received the brown ones for Christmas 2012 and have worn them since then. There is no real break in time needed. They felt pretty damn comfy after the first couple uses. They do scuff pretty easy but the wear of the leather is what makes it look even better; it gives it character. Speaking of leather... The leather they used on the boot is pretty thick but not stiff which is nice. Wolverine uses pretty good leather. I opened the box and got punched in the face by that manly leather smell. Lastly, on whatever boot you decide to buy, make sure it has those nifty little eyelets like this boot does. It makes lacing up and taking the boot off so, so much easier/faster.

Words of advice:
*Size down, they do run big. I wear a 11 dress shoe and 10's fit me perfectly.
*Treat them well. Research how to care for leather (mink oil, etc) and these will last for a damn long time.
*If you have issues Wolverine has a concierge service only for the 1000 mile line of shoes.
on March 28, 2014
Size Name: 9 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
1. Only need to go down 1/2 size.
2. Immediately comfortable, no need to break in. I own a pair of Danner's which are great, but took a long time to break in. This pair of boots was comfortable out of the box.
3. Made in the USA.
4. Stylish in jeans and slacks.
5. Try to find a better price, go ahead, try...
on May 8, 2014
Size Name: 12 3E USColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
I've been buying a bunch of boots lately, with a focus on U.S.-made boots for daily wear that are all very similar in design to this 1000 Mile Boot. In the past couple of months I've purchased (among others) the Chippewa Service Boot and the Red Wing Round Toe 2962. (I've also been looking at the Red Wing Beckmans, but at ~$340 felt I could get comparable quality for less.) So, when I saw the price on the 1000 Mile Boot drop to around $250 on Amazon recently, I bought a pair of these too. And then a few days later I bought another pair in a different color. I received the first pair yesterday and I'm wearing them now.

A lot of the discussion in the reviews relates to size, so I'll address that first. I normally wear a size 8.5D (or medium), and after reading a number of the reviews and checking the Nordstrom recommendations I went with a size 8D in these boots. The length is exactly right, with maybe 1/2" wiggle room for the toes. So I'd say 1/2 size down is good. The width seems a little snug across the top of the foot, but after adjusting the laces a bit and especially after a little break-in, I think these will work just fine. I basically always wear thicker SmartWool-type socks, so that could also be a factor if you tend to wear thinner dress socks. But I can't imagine going down a full size; for me, 1/2 size down puts these just on the snug side of a perfect fit, and that doesn't even account for feet swelling over the course of a day. Your mileage may vary.

As for quality, I'd say these are comparable to the Chippewas and Red Wings (both of which I bought in size 8.5; the Chippewas are spot-on, the Red Wings seem a little long but going down a half-size in those probably would have been too small). These boots are a little dressier with the leather sole, but as far as I can tell that's the main difference. (I also just stepped out in the Seattle rain and the leather soles were pretty slippery on pavement; presumably this will get better as they get scuffed up a bit.) The leather upper is smooth and supple and seems top-notch. I didn't notice any issues with the workmanship or stitching.

Bottom line, as long as you keep the sizing issues in mind these appear to be good quality, well-made boots. I think I favor the Chippewa Service Boot because it has the Vibram sole and retails around $260 (which is the sale price I got on these 1000 Miles), and it comes in basically all the same colors as the 1000 Mile Boot, plus a couple more. The Red Wing 2962 is good too, and very similar in design, but it comes in only one color (bourbon) and I think was a little more expensive. The Red Wings are also more of a nubuck leather that might prove to be more difficult to keep clean. Given the uncertainty about sizing, If I had paid full price for these 1000 Miles, I might not be quite as happy with them as I am.
on April 4, 2014
Size Name: 12 3E USColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
First the issue of size, since so many other reviews mention it. I bought mine online at Amazon, and being aware of the reviews that say they run large I adjusted accordingly. (Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing it. Go to a store and try them on.) Normally, I wear a size 8.5 in city/dress shoes so I went for the size 8. When I first tried them on with dress socks they felt big, and my heel moved around in the heel cup more than I liked. I almost returned them, but I've never tried on a 7.5 of anything that ever felt right. It was winter, so I put on some of the thicker wool socks I normally wear in cold weather and the boots seemed fine.

The quality of the leather used in the uppers is high quality. Supple without being flimsy. I bought them in rust and the color is simply stunning and I expect it will improve with age and wear. I do see how some people could experience no break-even period, though I did on one side on the instep over the metatarsal. Not a big deal, and the leather eventually loosened up enough to be comfortable.

Several other reviewers have noted the thinness of the soles. That's true. These are not workbooks, and if anyone buys them thinking they could go to job on a construction site they are making a mistake. This is a city walking boot that works well with jeans or khakis, suitable for casual wear or work if your office is informal enough.

That said, I too feel that given the sturdiness of this boot, a thicker sole would be justified and when the ones that came on the boot wear out I plan to take the boots to a cobbler to have thicker soles put on. Note also that the leather soles on the boot are fine for dry weather but really aren't suited for heavy rain, much less snow. I live in NYC and the sidewalks are covered in rock salt at the first sign of ice and snow. Those conditions are lethal for leather soles, so don't even think of these as foul-weather boots.

An aside: At the same time that I bought these boots I also bought the Redwing Iron Ranger boots in black. They are a very different boot: Much heavier leather, stiff work-boot laces and a sturdy rubber-cork compound sole and heel that says "oil resistant" on the bottom. Although they too lack toe protection, the Iron Rangers boots feel like work boots both in heft and look, thanks in large part to the leather toe cap. I've had them for a month and I feel sometimes like I'm still breaking them in, with a spot here and there where I experience some pressure -- nothing major, no blisters or anything -- bit just enough discomfort so I notice. But since that happens less and less as I wear them I assume the day will come with that doesn't happen. Again, these boots are appropriate for casual wear and might suffice for an office, depending on how informal it is. I couldn't see these boots working with khakis in part because of the color but also because of the style -- and I certainly couldn't see these paired with slacks and a sports jackets even in brown or moleskin, whereas I could with the 1000 Mile boots. The Iron Rangers are different boots with a different place in your wardrobe.
on February 22, 2012
Size Name: 9.5 D(M) USColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
Very comfortable, well made, felt broken in right out the box.
They run kinda large, I wear a 11.5 sneaker, but I had to return the original pair and get a 9.5
To be sure about my correct size, I went to a store here in Philly, (Boyds) and tried the boot on.
I was shocked to fine that I took a 9.5. Now my boots don't look like gunboats!!
Just make sure you try your new boots on by walking a a carpet, just in case they are the wrong size.
The soles { made of fine leather)markup VERY easily.
Bought my first and second pair from Shoe Parlor ( Great people to buy from)
Shipped next day both times. You will not be disappointed !!!