I got a pair of these last week at B&H Photo. I wanted to set these up on my patio to send music outdoors. I read several positive reviews on Amazon and thus decided to give these a shot. Even though I sort of like these speakers I nonetheless returned them in exchange for a pair of Amphony iFinity speakers. Here is what I like and don't like about the Wolverene:...
Published on September 13, 2012 by Cary Penner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great
Published on December 11, 2012 by DrDan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for small rooms but not nearly enough power for outdoors, September 13, 2012
Cary Penner (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolverine WIOS2 Wireless Indoor-Outdoor Stereo Speakers - Water Resistant - Black (Twin Speakers) (Electronics)

What I like:
1) These speakers are really inexpensive.

2) The transmitter range is quite decent. I didn't have any issues sending music from my living room through a glass door to my patio which is around 80 feet away from the transmitter. There were only ocasional dropouts but overall the wireless connection was pretty reliable.

3) The transmitter easily hooks up to a PC via USB.

4) Both speakers work as stereo speakers unlike some other wireless speaker models.

What I don't like:
1) The biggest drawback is that these speakers only have 5 Watts power (Wolverene specifies a total power of 10 Watts which I assume is the sum of both speakers). I found the volume to be enough if I set up the speakers in my kitchen which is fairly small at around 20' by 10' in size. However, these speakers fail horribly when it comes to providing enough loudness on my patio. Except for light background music these speakers are totally useless outdoors especially with some background and wind noise. Also, I noticed that the sound will start distorting at low frequencies when I turn up the volume more than mid-way. I assume that the built-in amplifier is not powerful enough to handle higher volume.

2) Low battery life. Don't even think about running these speakers on batteries. They ran 4 hours before the speakers quit. Having to swap batteries daily is going to become rather expensive.

3) I wish the designers of these speakers could have paid more attention to sound quality. There bass of these speakers is not very pronounced and there is not much high range. These speakers mostly produce midrange sound. If you expect similar sound from these speakers as your bookshelf speakers then look elsewhere. However, in all fairness for the low price the sound quality is more than adequate especially when compared to the poor sound of older wireless speaker models.

4) The transmitter is lacking some audio inputs that most of today's wireless transmitters have. In particular I am missing an iPod cradle and a speaker-level audio input. While I realize that I can connect my iPod to the transmitter via a headphone cable, I still would like to have a cradle where I can just plug in my iPhone for charging and streaming music. Also, I was initially planning to connect the transmitter to my AV receiver. However, my receiver only has speaker-level outputs and there is no way to interface to the transmitter.

Overall I would say that if you are looking for an entry-level pair of wireless speakers and are not too picky about sound quality and are using the speaker in a small space then the Wolvere is a decent choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, December 11, 2012
I purchased these speakers as a way to play music through my chiropractic clinic without having to deal with wires and cables, and they do fulfill this need adequately. As for the quality of sound, they are average at best. We don't play music at a high volume, so it is not a large issue. I have noticed that even after the speakers are properly paired, there can still be some static, although this may be due to having the speakers too close to other electronics (which is unavoidable in my clinic). I think the speakers have a nice look, but the volume controls on top of each speaker are sub-par. In order to raise or lower the volume, you need to hold down the volume button until you begin hearing the volume go up or down. Simply clicking the volume does not seem to effect the volume. You have to hold it down for a few seconds before any difference is heard. This seems like an easy fix. In general, I would recommend this product to others, although I would like to see some improvements in design if they release a newer version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quickly Got Very Distorted, July 29, 2013
Sounded great for a few days then quickly got very distorted. I'm doing more research and will try to buy a better set of speakers for my backyard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wolverine WIOS Wireless Indoor-Outdoor Stereo Speakers, December 15, 2012
Purchased a week or so ago for indoor use. At first was satisfied. About a week after one speaker would not reproduce right channel stereo. Switching inputs no go. Also the transmitter cannot be turned off. Am using the forced mono position on the speaker. Don't want to mess with returning so will use until I find a speaker system that will last a while longer. Do not recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars We'll made poor sound, January 26, 2014
After reading all the 5 star reviews I bought these. These wireless speakers are a joke. I have Rhasody don't have problems with PC powered speakers but, these speakers get static,have interference, and are NOT outdoor speakers. They eat up batteries,12aA for two speakers and the speakers are subject to corrosion just by sweating / perspiring on them according to the warranty. Sound quality is as good as clock radio at best. The speaker covers on the bottom fall off constantly,they look big in picture but, only stand 12 inches tall. Your better off taking indoor stereo speakers outside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy operation; sound quality good for this price point, January 2, 2015
My Amazon Reviews (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This is a review for the Wolverine WIOS2 Wireless indoor-outdoor stereo speakers. I have had them 3 days so far. My purpose for buying them was to get a speaker in a bedroom and outdoors to the deck without running wires. Another application for these I thought of after receiving them is for an elderly relative that is making her spouse go deaf because she has to have the TV volume so high to hear it, the other person is very uncomfortable. So a speaker could be placed next to that person, and be on LOUD, and maybe the rest of us wouldn't go deaf then :)

I would rate the sound from these speakers as average or above-average given the price point. These speakers cost 1/2 to 1/3 LESS than Amphony and Sonos. So if you are on a budget, the sound is quite acceptable, but they do not sound as good as Amphony and Sonos. A friend of mine has Sonos so I have compared them. Sonos is top of the line, but top of the price point also.

They were easy to pair, power up the base and the speaker and then press and hold the "pair" button on each device until the blue light starts blinking and then release and let them pair. Both speakers paired up easily. I've had the base and the speakers unplugged for 5-10 minutes while I tested and moved them around the house and outside, and they stayed paired when I powered them back up again.

I used a two end RCA red/white to 3.5mm jack audio cable (not supplied) to plug the Wolverine base (3.5mm end) into my flatscreen TV (2 red/white RCA jacks). Switching the TV sound output to the Wolverine provided good quality sound. There is a switch inside each speaker under the bottom cover (that is removable by twisting it off) to set the speaker to Left, Right, Mono, so my speakers are set to Left and Right respectively. Although I don't think I could tell any difference from the mono setting. Under this twist-off bottom is where the A/C power cord is plugged in and you would install batteries.

The included remote turns the volume of each speaker up/down individually, not both together. So you have to point the remote at the infrared sensor on the front of each speaker to adjust the volume on that speaker. I consider this a plus so one speaker could be louder than the other speaker depending on your placement of the speakers. Each speaker also has a volume up/down, power on/off, light on/off, and pairing button on the top, so volume can be controlled from there also.

I have a very amped-up 2.4Ghz wireless network in a my house (powered by a linksys WRT54G router with amplified high-powered antennas and dd-wrt). I am not getting any interference, crackling or cutting out of the speakers. The only bad sound I got was with the TV volume all the way on HIGH and the volume on the speakers all the way to HIGH, it was way to much input for the speakers to handle. The TV volume for me was optimum at about 3/4 of maximum, and then just use the speaker volume adjustments from there for your desired volume. I am not getting any interference from a microwave running or my 2.4GHz Panasonic cordless phones.

I then powered everything off and hooked the base up and tried it with both of my laptop computers with the included 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable. One laptop is an entertainment laptop and has BEATS audio and very good sound output. The speakers sounded better than when hooked up to the TV, good bass when playing my MP3s (again for the price, not as good as Sonos). When plugged into my HP 850 laptop (which has kind of tinny, not great sound to begin with), the speakers were a great improvement in the sound, but not as good as the other laptop. So the quality of your original audio source does matter - stating the obvious here.

I have not tried these on battery power, and probably won't so I can't comment on battery life.

I would guesstimate the 200 foot distance between base and speaker is about right. I can have the base in the house plugged into my computer, and one of the speakers out on my deck and it worked fine. The speakers are only 5 watts each so you are not going to get massive output volume. But for my small deck in a relatively quiet neighborhood, the sound output is loud enough for me to provide music while I do chores in the lawn or provide background music when visiting with 6-7 people. If you have a large pool area with lots of people, you probably need something that has more volume output.

There is a single blue LED light on the top of each speaker and the base unit indicating on/off. Each speaker also has another blue LED light that can be turned on/off to light the open area between the speaker base and the speaker. This light provides a small amount of blue ambiance light and can be turned off if you don't like it.

A nice feature I didn't see in the description is a handle that pulls up on the top of each speaker so you can carry it or hang it from a hook, kind of like a lattern.

The remote uses a standard CR2025 user-replaceable battery.

Although it says these are waterproof, I don't think I would put the speakers out in the open without protection of a roof or some type of cover. I don't see any electronic device no matter how sealed up holding up well to the elements. So I will carry mine in/out with me if I expect rain/freezing weather to protect my investment. All 3 Wolverine devices (base and 2 speakers) have plastic exteriors and would scratch/crack if mistreated.

As mentioned previously, the base has 1 3.5mm audio in jack and a mini-B usb jack of which I have no idea what I would use that format for, I don't think it fits any devices I have. So plan on having an adapter if you need one for your audio-out device to fit either of these ports.

Regarding who to purchase from, I purchased on Amazon, directly from Amazon, and not a third party seller. My opinion is that some of these third party sellers are selling returned/refurbished devices as new and you will get a less than stellar experience. I always purchase direct from Amazon with AMAZON as the seller with items that I am concerned I want to know they are NEW and don't want the hassle of testing some other reseller's repackaged, resold garbage. My speakers arrived in a sealed box and appeared brand new.

The written instructions are OK; although I didn't even look at them until after setup was complete and I was happily listening to my MP3's :) The instructions say this has a one year warranty, and I pay attention to such things. Another reason for purchasing from an authorized reseller-Amazon usually is, however 3rd party resellers that sell on Amazon may not be authorized to sell, and thus your warranty may not be any good if you need to put it to work with the manufacturer.

I keep my reviews up to date on Amazon, so I will return and post more info if I have trouble or these speakers die prematurely. At this point, I am happy with the purchase and the sound quality given I don't want to pay 3 times more for "the best of the best" sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, October 26, 2013
These took a total of 5 minutes to set up. Never did get the remote to work, but that wasn't a big deal. Love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product has a nice look, is easy to setup, October 15, 2014
This product has a nice look, is easy to setup, and has good sound quality. The reason for the low rating is because after all that the product is rather useless if you want to connect to a computer or a cell phone (which they advertise for both). They mention you can connect via 3.5mm jack or USB for computers. The problem that they fail to mention that the transmitter and speaker can not be anywhere near a wireless, bluetooth, or cellular device. When I connect to the computer the speaker and transmitter interfere so bad with the wireless network that you can not stream video or audio. In this day an age why would they offer the option to connect to a computer and assume that computer would not be on a wireless network? In the documentation they indicate both transmitter and speaker should be at least three feet from the computer, well mine are over 8 feet away and I still have the problem (plus they do not provide cables long enough for their recommended length and no USB cable at all). I had to buy a USB extension cord hoping it would help, but it did not. They also mention to keep things away from a bluetooth source, but if you were going to use the speakers by pluging the 3.5mm into your phone, that basically means you need to put your phone in airplane mode to use these speakers.

So, if you have a stereo or TV, do not own a wireless network in your home (or your neighbors) and you want to have louder sound outdoors when it is not raining this product is for you. Otherwise do not get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not able to get repaired, December 8, 2013
the speakers are easy to use except I have one that I cannot always get to work. I can't seem to find anyone around to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, Great Quality, November 23, 2014
I LOVE these speakers. We have recommended them numerous times and bought them twice as gifts. At the lake we hook up two pairs and have music inside and outside. It's great that you can control the volume on each speaker so if someone wants to turn the sound down near them they can. We tried numerous other speakers before these and always returned them because of the wireless quality being poor. We have never had any issues with these.