Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Women Lead the Way: Your Guide to Stepping Up to Leadership and Changing the World
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 18, 2009
Women Lead the Way is a powerful analysis of the status of women in the world. But it is truly groundbreaking in one way that many previous books of its type are not:
it provides a concrete guideline as to how EVERY women, regardless of where you are in your life - student, homemaker, career woman, or retiree - can impact the status quo and contribute to the advancement of women. Each reader should pay special attention to the "This Week I Will..." boxes. Easy tips on how each of us can make a difference.
on November 7, 2009
Thank you Linda for this incredible book. The conversation about why we need women has shifted dramatically of late, and your book summarizes all the reasons for it. Adding women is no longer just the 'right thing to do', but rather there is clear evidence that it is in everyone's self interest as it is a key to economic growth and prosperity for all. We are not fully utilizing the skills, wisdom and resources of one half of the world's population, and it is this recognition and this shift that will change the direction of our collective future for the better. It is about "critical mass" and we all have to embrace the strategies that will get us there. What is great about your book is you give everyone something to do. As an individual we can both know and use our power to address minor inequities that we face every day, and as a CEO we can choose to have a minimum of 30% women on our board of directors. Progress has been slow and that may be because we have not seen the need to change. Don't we see it now? We had a financial crisis and are still in the midst of an economic crisis, and by the way much of the rest of the world has always been facing crisis of violence and poverty. This is a book for everyone. Young, old, men and women.... buy many copies and give it to everyone and change the world. ( JZ )
on October 10, 2009
As a young professional, this book gives me a framework for my future with concrete steps and helpful resources that I can go back to. I am inspired by Tarr-Whelan's approach to adjusting the current expectations around how a leader should lead including her 30% solution. I can't wait to get started on Monday!
on September 9, 2009
Powerful insights from a powerful human being. Linda Tarr-Whelan has made an invaluable contibution to understanding and celebrating the often unrecognized achievements of women and even more importantly she lays out common sense approaches for all of us to step forward and realize their leadership potential in the future. A good read. An important and well told story.
on February 25, 2015
This book I can't say enough about. It was written by a former U.N. Ambassador for Women's rights Linda Tarr- Whelan who speaks around the country. I had the pleasure of meeting her AFTER I read the book which had opened my eyes to so many things that I felt but never could actually put my finger on! It is inspiring, empowering and forces us to recognize that we, as women, have to train ourselves to view leadership through a different lens! When we recognize how we are holding ourselves as well as others back it will set us free to be the Leaders we were meant to be! The 30% concept: If you have 30% women at the table you begin to see the impact that can have. You can support each other in a way that being by yourself cannot generate. Too often men will talk over or around you. This is the remedy for that. We have seen that in practice with our Supreme Court that now has 30% women and the difference in the dialogue is clearly evident! I would hope that any woman that is looking for a way to have a voice in her surrounding network, from 15 to 90, take the time to read it! Women Lead the WAY!
on October 14, 2009
A journey always begins with the first step and, all too often, womens' participation in the social, political and business arenas has been hampered by how, when and why to take that first step.

Tarr-Whelan's book provides such guidance in clearly understood language. Her examples of the successes of women in all walks of life provide support for those considering taking on the "status quo" to bring about change. Her strategies for goal accomplishment are readily customized to individual situations, from modest undertaking to major enterprise.

The book is a practical, easy to follow progression of ideas and subsequent actions that also helps build a woman's confidence in her own judgment and ability to make a difference.

The perfect gift for every woman on every occasion!

Connie Brotzman
on August 6, 2010
What a book! I just wish I had been able to read it when I was 20-30 years younger! Not all is lost however as my daughter now has it to read and she is in her early 30's. I feel it should be a must for all young women going into the work place so a very useful gift. I also feel that men could learn from reading this book and it may just help to speed up the process of getting more women into top posts. I particularly liked "This Week I Will" sections , it gave me a feeling that the list was more than achievable and of great benefit going in the right direction. I also particularly liked the chapter " Lifting as we climb". Thank you for a book that I am pleased to have read and I will help it do the rounds here in England.
on September 17, 2009
This excellent book points out the mistakes of not having enough women in leadership and the opportunities for all of us by adding them. It also calls women of all ages to activism in every sphere of life to bring American leadership models into the 21st century. She correctly reviews the improvements possible by having a gender balance in leadership at all levels of private and public policy decision-making.
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2009
Women Lead the Way

This book about women stepping up to our leadership roles in social and economic power activated many conflicting emotions in me. It is, primarily, directed toward women in business that are already in a position to make a significant difference in decision-making processes. This leaves me out, I felt, since my lifestyle and contributions are more right-brained than left. And yet in all fairness, the author makes it clear that she is speaking to all women, and gives numerous practical examples of how women not in the business world can support and participate in women's leadership.

Ninety years after achieving the right to vote, women in the United States still only account for about 15% of the key positions of political and economic power in this country. And yet, women hold more higher education degrees, account for 80% of consumer decisions, and the sales generated by women-owned businesses equals the GDP of China. This and all that it represents in terms of the continuing inequality of pay, dismissing of women's concerns, and dogmatic attachment to a hierarchical status quo, aroused a deep, cellular rage of injustice within me, which was quickly followed by shame that I have allowed myself to be so passive about using my own voice and power to enact change. But Tarr-Whelan is not rabble rousing and wisely advises women to move beyond divisive thinking and look for how women's issues are also collective issues. She also acknowledges that both men and women are involved in, and benefit from, women achieving a critical mass at decision-making tables.

Women Lead the Way presents a clear road map for organizational, economic, and political change, with a vision toward quickly achieving the 30% solution: all organizations/entities must have at least 30% of positions of power filled by women. In many countries where women are already powerful leaders and already have greater balance in leadership, studies have demonstrated that this shift has yielded higher profits, greater efficiency and workplace satisfaction, and long-ranged collaborative values, among many other assets. Again, I was rankled by the need to "justify" or "prove" that women's rights and our concerns require empirical research to ratify. It's quite obvious women deserve equality: as Secretary of State Hilary Clinton says, "women's rights are human rights, and human rights are women's rights." On reflection I realized that while this is true in and of itself, vision without action is impotent and lacks integrity. If we say something is true and don't follow through by our actions, then how can we expect anything other than what we already have?

Consequently, this book offers an exciting manifesto and is an impassioned clarion call for closing the leadership gap. I recommend that all women (and men too) read this book: we are without question the key players in being agents of change for a sustainable recovery, and we will pass along the consequences of our efforts to our children. If you, like me, are aroused to make one small leadership effort toward making the world a better place from reading this book, each power of one will create a chain-reaction that can and will make a difference.
on December 23, 2013
This book should be read by every woman, especially those who are in a position to mentor other women. We hear only about the one woman in industry, politics, education, or other areas who raise to the top in their field but we do not read about the other 99% who work hard, exceeding men who are promoted into positions of leadership but are passed over because they are women. Times have changed! I liked the statistics in this book and the only thing I disagree with is about the 30% solution. I wish it were higher.