5.0 out of 5 stars Unashamed, direct, honest, on par with women poets today.
This collection was a huge surprise. Unlike the steryo type of what women in China was like, subservient to husbands they are forced to marry, with little thoughts and feelings for themselves.
These women poets starting from 1644-1911, shout out thier love of thier partners, discuss drinking, sex, lust, romance, infactutation and even loving other women.
The...
Published on July 16, 2000 by yanipoo

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad translation
The editors made a good try to translate the poems, but the result makes me laugh!

They can translate the meanings but they can't keep the feelings, formats, sounds, favors, and metaphors.

This book can fool people who can't read Chinese. Chinese is my first language, this book can't fool me!

If you are a professor or teacher, please stop...
Published on July 26, 2007 by Kwok L. Cheung

5.0 out of 5 stars Unashamed, direct, honest, on par with women poets today., July 16, 2000
This review is from: Women Poets of China (New Directions Paperbook) (Paperback)
The metaphors are soft and light at the first reading, yet if you look deeper you realise some of the subjects are far from the softness the poetry is conveyed in.
A good histrical text on Chinese Women and a good read. As the previous reviewer said, buy two and give one to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest collaborative translations ever, October 23, 1999
By A Customer
An exciting selection of poems by known and previously unknown women poets. Ling Chung's scholarship and sensitivity gave the late great Kenneth Rexroth the insight and inspiration to outdo himself here. Buy two copies and give one to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL!!, January 17, 2006
C. Chartier (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Probably my favorite of the asian poetry books that I've read. Thanks for the compilation, Kenneth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like beautiful flower petals, that fall and clothe my body with dream, January 31, 2013
No, I didn't buy this book. Instead, I handcopied several of the poems from a copy that I borrowed from the public library. I was then an earnest young man, gripped by a fever to read and copy all things expressive, elegant or simply well-said. It was some time in the 1970s. I wrote several of the poems down in a spiral-ring notebook and would read, re-read them countless times until many of the lines have integrated themselves into my subconscious!

Here are some of these simple, beautiful lines embedded in my mind:

A little boat returns
Without the sound of oars
But waits on the tide and the evening sea wind
(Cheng Min)

Softly we sing together the old song
"The Sunlight in the Pass".
The sorrow of parting will follow our horses' feet.
(Chiu Chin)

Sometimes, suddenly the old story overcomes us...
The old melancholy
Comes from the land of longing.
(Hsiung Hung)

The most beautiful language,
Sounds like beautiful flower petals,
That fall and clothe my body with dream.
(Hsiung Hung)

My only wish is someone could find the original Chinese text and re-publish the book with facing Chinese and English translated text.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad translation, July 26, 2007
Kwok L. Cheung (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews

If you are a professor or teacher, please stop showing off your "good taste" by forcing your student to read this piece of stupid translation. You need to learn Chinese to read real Chinese poem.

Women Poets of China (New Directions Paperbook)
Women Poets of China (New Directions Paperbook) by Kenneth Rexroth (Paperback - February 17, 1982)
$14.95 $13.46