• Provides a unique contemporary overview of women and politics from a global perspective
• Highlights the spectrum of women's political representation in various countries and political systems
• Addresses crucial issues facing women including labor force participation, human trafficking, poverty, and more
• Serves as a convenient, authoritative source of topics for papers and debates
• Topical essays on a broad range of gender-related policy issues, written by international scholars
• Focused explorations of women's political and economic progress in more than 20 individual countries
• More than 70 photographs of both elected officials and women from all walks of life in countries around the world
• More than 50 tables and charts presenting relevant data
• Approximately 20 sidebars with additional in-depth coverage of important policy trends and events
"Women have made advances toward equal political representation in many countries but issues remain around the world—and synthesizing them under one cover is the 2-volume survey Women and Politics Around the World. From transnational and national gender-related issues to specific conditions in different global communities, this is a powerful resource for students and researchers interested in women's experiences in world politics and social life."
Midwest Book Review
"Women and Politics Around the World provides thoughtful, scholarly, and accessible analysis, much of which is not easily located elsewhere in such breadth. I highly recommend this title for any institutions with undergraduate programs in women's studies, political science, or international affairs."
"This is an engaging work which tells the story of women's political lives rather than breaking it down into a series of encyclopedia entries. It would be a useful addition to political science, history and gender studies collections."
"In this ambitious, exciting two-volume set, editors Gelb and Palley provide readers interested in women in politics with a stunning set of articles. . . . an extraordinary achievement; the editors have included many established scholars in the field, as well as many newer scholars. The volumes are remarkable in that they introduce not only new ideas, but a new generation of feminist scholars. Highly recommended. All readership levels."