Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 8, 2005
Endorsed by some of the leading researchers in the field of anxiety, this book is firmly rooted in a long tradition of scientific research. It gives the reader a clear understanding of what worry is all about, as well as many useful and easy-to-do techniques for managing one's own anxiety and worry. It's a chance for people of both genders to better understand themselves, and learn specific skills for bettering their own lives.
on November 18, 2007
A great book to help with over-worriers. Though the title reads, "Women who worry..." I believe a lot of the tips can be useful to men as well. After reading only a couple of chapters, I found myself with less anxiety. It has made a difference in my everyday life.
on October 9, 2005
Dr. Hazlett-Stevens' manages to make use of the most recent advances in clinical research in creating easy-to-follow and straightforward exercises in reducing worry. Traditionally, worriers tend to not make great use of treatments that focus on the specifics of the worry at hand. That is, when one worry seems to be dealt with, it feels like another has popped up in its place. In contrast, the strong focus of Hazlett-Steven's book is at reducing stress and total amount of worry overall (with examples of specific worries in Part III). If worry is a problem for you, I think this book could be a great asset.
on September 16, 2011
I have read several "self-help" books on worrying. I wouldn't recommend this one. I preferred The Worry Cure.
The author keeps mentioning in the beginning that women are more prone to anxiety, but it is not clear why. HELLO!!!! I'll tell you why. Women are constantly being bombarded with images, ads, etc that they are not good enough. There is something wrong with them, they are defective, if they do not look/act like these perfect ideals society pushes on them. This causes them to think that they will never be accepted and to constantly worry about what others think of them, if they will be accepted, if they can achieve success, and it snowballs from there.
I also felt like I couldn't relate to the examples/stories of worriers presented in the book. Some of the methods suggested also don't work. For example, she suggests using relaxation techniques, however, says not to use this technique if you are an "avoider." Also, using the techniques to examine every aspect of your worries causes overanalyzation in those who tend to "ruminate" and are counter productive.
The book had good citations of research, and I liked the part on mindfulness, although if you plan on mastering mindfulness, this is not a good book at really explaining it.
If you are looking for a book with concrete coping strategies, this is not your book. I would look up "The Worry Cure," so much more helpful.
on September 18, 2005
This is a really good book that I would reccomend to all women, not just women suffering from anxiety. It teaches us to cope with huge stressors along with the every day decisions and burdens that women face. The thing that I really liked about this book was that unlike other psychology books it was written for all audiences. I have studied psychology and social work in my college career and have had to read some really good books, but they were very difficult to read. This book was an easy and enjoyable read.
on February 24, 2015
This book gives great examples of worrying to much, I fit the bill for most of the examples. Yet I feel like worrying too much and over thinking things go hand in hand, thus making my anxiety worse by trying to not worry about worrying! Yes, the book even talks about that, but I find a lot more comfort and happiness in trying to not analyze every thought and whether it's"problem solving" or not. Just my opinion and think I was over thinking it when I made this purchase.
on December 15, 2014
So far, I am about 3/4 the way through the book.. I do worry a lot but this book is really helping me to channel it correctly. It explains plainly and in detail, it is easy to follow and it is a keeper
on April 22, 2010
This was an out standing book! It has been very helpful to me.Holly Hazlett-Stevens,Ph.D points out things in life- we don't think about. She actually makes you focus on certain things, we as individuals seem to overlook such as- thoughts,feelings,sensations and behaviors. She helps the reader out by having you do excercises in her book.I think this book, would help anyone who searches for things to overcome worry and anxiety, as this can play a big role in our daily lives. This is a book I would definetly recommend to any of you readers searching for this type of book.
on September 21, 2005
This book is very well-written for a range of audiences. Even into the first few chapters you start to become more aware of how worry affects your life. I really enjoyed how manageable and applicable the recommended exercises were found in each chapter. Trying these exercises allows for practice of new ways of dealing with chronic worry and anxious thoughts that can make life so stressful.
on January 15, 2009
I loved this book and reccomend it to anyone going through anxiety - no matter the situation this book has exercises you can work on to be able to work through the issues that are causing you to think the way that you are and thus, panic. It immediately made a difference after the first few pages with me.