5.0 out of 5 stars Financial planning textbook or conversation? Both., May 10, 2010
This review is from: Women's Worth: Finding Your Financial Confidence (Hardcover)
For those who have ever observed little boys and girls at play, it will come as no surprise when Eleanor Blayney focuses on the ways men and women are wired differently. But I had an "A-ha" moment when I read about how those differences have resulted in a system that is not preparing women for the most likely scenario. Between a woman's longer life expectancy and high divorce rates, Blayney says, "You should think about your financial affairs as if you will be on your own at some point in your life." I found her financial planning recommendations to be supportive of marriage (not advocating financial tactics that might cause dissention) while reminding readers of the facts: women cannot afford to bury their heads in the sand.

This is one of those rare financial books that feels more like a conversation. As I was reading, I kept thinking of friends who need to learn from Blayney and would enjoy her humorous - but wise - approach. These friends represent a wide range of life situations: single, married, spenders, savers, social conservatives, political liberals, investors, and mattress stuffers. Blayney's uplifting teaching applies to each of them. Instead of telling readers what they should do, she encourages them to do what they can by denoting which steps are necessary and challenging women to take charge. Women's Worth is a great textbook in financial planning because Blayney's experiences as a Certified Financial Planner(tm) make her teaching both engaging and relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long time coming!, July 7, 2010
pEG dOWNEY (CHEVY CHASE, MD, US) - See all my reviews
I've been a member of two book clubs for ever so long--and what I learn in most meetings has little to do with the book we have chosen to discuss. Talking about a book leads us to talk about our lives and to learn from each other. Eleanor Blayney's book is just like having Eleanor present...we learn from her as she shares her life story. That makes this the most interesting financial book for women that I have ever come across! I think it probably would be a GREAT book for book clubs! But anyone reading this will enjoy it and, coincidentally, learn a great deal about how she can make her own life more secure.

A great introduction to personal finance, and a wonderful guide to the unique issues women in their financial lives. It would be a wonderful gift for birthdays and even weddings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personally and Professionally Relevant, October 27, 2010
As a Certified Financial Planner, my professional opinion is that this book addresses an audience often misunderstood or patronized by the majority-male financial planning community. As a husband and father, my personal opinion is that I want my wife and daughter to learn what Eleanor Blayney is teaching in these pages. I've raised my daughter to never accept less because she is female, and Women's Worth helps reinforce that message.

Reviewer is author of the following:
Money Morons: Their Causes and Cures
Whipsawed: How Greed and Fear Shred Finances and Futures
6,000,000 Minutes on the Clock: Discovering the What, Where, and Why of Your Ideal Career

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness, finally!, September 2, 2010
While there have been many books written to help women with their investing and financial needs, not one of them comes close to cutting through the B.S. and saying it like it really is for us girls. I've been in the investment advisory business for 20 years and always knew there was a better way to work with women, but until recently, have not had the time or clear thinking to focus on how to articulate it. All I do know is that, for years, I sat in client meeting after client meeting with the "big guys" and the woman/wife would listen to my male counterpart (yes, and usually my senior, too, frustrating as it always was) with a glassy look in their eyes, as they try to understand words like alpha, beta, standard deviation and diversification. We ARE different, and Eleanor articulates this better way as well as anyone could today and I'm so glad it's been done. There is more work to do for us women on this topic, but this book gives us a HUGE head start. The cat is finally out of the bag, and I'm quite sure women investors and advisors will get a ton out of this book. I plan to give it to all of my clients as a gift, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise and insightful book, October 24, 2010
The author has over 20 years as a financial planner. This gives her a great perspective on just what drives women when it comes to money. She covers financial planning from the basics (cash flow) to the overlooked (estate planning and buying the right insurance). Her chapter on how to select investments provides a simple-to-understand formula that cuts through the complexity. She weaves stories, humor, psychology, research, and advice neatly into a very readable book. You can find author Eleanor Blayney's comments on why she wrote this book at TheSilverPurse.com website for women.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Read for Every Female, November 7, 2012
Women's Worth is a must read for every woman, both young and old. Eleanor sets the tone by discussing the difference between how men and women think. She then goes on to discuss how the female thought process sets the tone for many other decisions. Finally, she provides insight and guidance for women to move through the process of personal finance to help them ask better questions and make better choices. I give this book to every female client I meet with and I give it as a bridal shower gift to new bride's!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for All Women, August 28, 2012
Eleanor Blayney's book is a must read for all women. This book inspired me to explore this issue personally as well as professionally and led to my work in helping financial advisors understand what women need and want from them. Written in an easy to read, friendly tone, you feel as if Eleanor is sitting with you boosting your financial confidence and teaching you what you need to know about money. This book makes a great gift for female clients and/or a girlfriend in your life who wants to be more financially literate.

Women's Worth: Finding Your Financial Confidence
Women's Worth: Finding Your Financial Confidence by Eleanor Blayney (Hardcover - April 30, 2010)
$26.95 $20.35