5.0 out of 5 stars Straight Talk About Abortion, October 16, 2008
J. Anderson (MOUNT CARMEL, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
I just finished reading the book "Won by Love" and highly recommend it to all. In fact, it was a quick read because I didn't want to put it down once I started it! The book reflects Norma McCorvey's own personality -- frank, engaging, and down to earth. She tells it straight, both regarding her conversion to Christianity and her involvement in the abortion industry prior to that.

For those who may not know, Norma McCorvey was the "Jane Roe" of Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in 1973. Though, ironically, Norma never had an abortion herself (the ruling was handed down a few months after she gave birth to her baby), she became an activist for the pro-choice movement and even worked in some abortion clinics. It was while she was working at one of these clinics that Operation Rescue, the pro-life organization, moved into the office next door. That was the start of an incredible transformation in Norma's life. The O.R. people, whom she regarded as her bitterest enemies, eventually became trusted friends and finally brothers and sisters in Christ. Norma went from being an angry, hateful, drug-abusing, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, one-time lesbian abortion activist to a joy-filled, guilt-free, pro-life Christian. What a switch!! And something only God can do.

If you want to learn how to effectively evangelize the lost, read this book. Norma's experience underlines the importance of developing a relationship with those to whom you are witnessing and of demonstrating God's love to them. That's why Norma says she was "won by love."

If you want to learn about the abortion industry, read this book. It goes beyond the sound bites and bumper stickers and gets right down to the nitty gritty -- a first-hand account of how abortion clinics are operated and of actual experiences of women undergoing abortions. It's not pretty, but we all need to know what Norma knows about abortion.

I would also encourage pro-choice people to read Norma's book. I suspect the majority of those who favor legalized abortion don't have a clue of what abortion is really about beyond the lofty-sounding platitude of "a woman's right to choose." I challenge you to be intellectually honest enough to read Norma's account for yourself and then be willing to re-evaluate your position. You will find that the abortion industry is far different from the picture painted by the likes of Planned Parenthood, NARAL, NOW, etc.

I had the pleasure of hearing Norma speak just last week at a pro-life event and met her afterwards. I can tell you, there's nothing phony about her -- she's the genuine article! And more than ten years after writing this book, she is still faithful to the Lord and speaking out on behalf of the unborn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that needs to be told, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
It needs to be told because it reveals another side to the Roe v. Wade--a side of manipulation, pain, and hate.

But it also needs to be told because it tells a story of change, prompted by love.

Since I was already pro-life before reading the book, the most meaningful part for me was reading about the change in Norma McCorvey.

No matter how far we fall, how many pieces we shatter into, or how many times we fail--no one is too far; no one is too broken; no one is too much of a failure for God amazing, rescuing grace. This is the true redemption story of Norma McCorvey, known to many as Jane Roe. Working at an abortion clinic, her life forever changes when the prolife organization Operation Rescue moves next door. Previously looked down upon by the elite prochoice intellectuals, Norma experiences life-changing love in 1995, 22 years after Roe v. Wade.

Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars God Wins, May 2, 2009
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
Norma McCorvey was Won by Love, but this is the kind of story where God is glorified by changing a person's life around. God is sovereign even over the horrible abortion practices in America.
But the great thing is the book is well-written and fast-paced. And Norma McCorvey is quite an interesting person, sometimes even a real character. She would be fun to meet!
I would highly recomend this book. I got it to do a speech against abortion, and it was a great resourse for that. I'm glad I bought it, because now I have the resource and some really good stories too. Won by Love reminds us all that God always wins with His love.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PLAINTIFF IN "ROE v. WADE" EXPLAINS HER CONVERSION TO CHRISTIANITY, January 11, 2013
Norma Leah McCorvey (born 1947), under the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe", was the plaintiff in the 1973 Roe v. Wade case that made abortion legal in this country. Her earlier book, I Am Roe: My Life, Roe V. Wade, and Freedom of Choice, explains her original decision to reveal her identity. (NOTE: Page numbers below refer to the 244-page hardcover edition.)

She notes early in this 1997 book, "a doctor approached me about opening up the 'Jane Roe Women's Center.' He said he would bankroll the entire operation, hoping to make the JRWC the political arm of the abortion movement---sort of 'finishing what I had started,' as he put it...'Sure!' I said, and that's how I ended up working for my first abortion clinic. For the next several years, abortion would be my life." (Pg. 41-42)

She recalls, "I was surprised at the animosity among all the [abortion/feminist] leaders... the proabortion crowd resented the fact that Norma McCorvey was historically tied to legalized abortion. This growing resentment just sat inside my gut and made me bitter. I drank. I smoked. I cussed people out. But that never beat the bitterness, it just fed it." (Pg. 44-45)

As Operation Rescue staged protests outside the abortion clinic she worked at, she recounts, "The war that went on in front of our clinic became a war of love and hatred. I threw out every expletive I could imagine, and the Rescue people threw back affirmations. They never backed down from calling what I was doing sin, but while they showed a rock-hard opposition to everything I stood for, at the same time they displayed an incredible openness to reach out to me as a person." (Pg. 77) She added, "we had been left to cope with Operation Rescue alone. Nobody from NOW, the Choice Foundation, or the gay and lesbian community had come to help us. Dallas has a local chapter of just about every liberal-leaning organization known to mankind, but we were left to fend for ourselves." (Pg. 111)

About her sexual orientation, she states, "I had ended my lesbian relationship a couple of years earlier. In fact, the reason I had adopted the lesbian lifestyle was in large part because I had experienced so much trouble with men. It should be obvious to any straight-thinking person that most 'lesbians' don't experience three problem pregnancies, as I had. But the truth is, I finally got so frustrated with men that I thought, At least with women, I can't get pregnant." (Pg. 133)

But after her conversion (detailed on pages 159-161; in 1998 she became a Catholic, by the way), "As long as I was supporting the proabortion movement, what I did behind closed doors was my business. But now that I was a Christian, every single reporter was fixated on my relationship with Connie... let me be perfectly clear: I now believe homosexuality is a sin... [evangelical minister Flip Benham] made it very clear to me that he would not baptize someone who intended to live the homosexual lifestyle, and I have never looked back." (Pg. 187-188)

While Ms. McCorvey's change of heart/mind are infuriating to many persons, her story is definitely a fascinating one, that Christians of all kinds as well as other abortion opponents will love.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STORY!, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
This is a must read! It give a great perspective from an angle you don't usually see or think about. This is a story of how the love of Christ changed a person.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL story, May 19, 2013
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
Heart wrenching story, only with Gods help can she deal with the pain of her past. I loved this book, I plan on sharing it with friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars prompt service and good condition, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Won by Love (Paperback)
This book arrived promptly and in excellent condition.
Would use this seller again.
California Girl

Won by Love
Won by Love by Gary Thomas (Paperback - December 1, 1997)
$16.98 $13.46