Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on December 8, 2011
I am 7 years old, and I love this game very much. Even my sister can play the game, and my sister is three. It is a family game, and we love it. You look through a fake magnifying glass to find different objects. You lose as a family and win as a family. I wish my mom would get it down more often.
on November 12, 2009
The best thing about this game is that you move your own little piece, but you have to work together in order to "win" the game.

My 3 and 5 year old loved solving the mysteries as they took turns playing. It was fun for them to hunt for the various hidden pictures on the game board and use the little magnifying glasses to mark their finds.

I thought the artwork was great, the game creative, and had fun playing it with my kids.
on November 10, 2009
This is a GREAT kids game.

I love the Richard Scarry's theme and the fact that the players don't actually play against each other.
They are a team- My 5 five year old daughter is at an age where she hates it when she loses so this works great.
As an adult, I also enjoyed playing this with my daughter- which is really saying something.

The game board and pieces are very good quality as well.
I highly recommend this game for your family or a gift.
on November 29, 2011
I didn't know if my hyper-competitive 6 and 8 year old would enjoy a cooperative game, but I was pleasantly surprised that they did. My 4 year old was in heaven--both that she was playing a game with her brothers, and that they all won and beat the pigs from eating all of the food on picnic island.

Be forewarned that you need a big space for this--the game board is six feet long. I do think the gigantic game board is part of the appeal for the kids. Basically, it's like a seek-and-find. You spin a spinner--and you'll either get a certain number of spaces to move, a pig who eats food off of picnic island (six items), or a mystery card (goldenbug I think it's called). If you land on the mystery spot, you draw a card which is what everybody is looking for, such as a clock. You're limited by the timer. You then put these little orange plastic magnifying glasses on each target object you find (say clocks). Then you count up the objects and *everybody* gets to move that many spaces. There's a barge that takes everybody to picnic island, and it cannot move until all the players are that's how everybody wins.

I don't think it took very long to play...maybe 15 minutes or so for a game?

If the price is more than twenty dollars, add it to your cart and just watch it. Seems to fluctuate a lot!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2012
While not necessarily any better than other similar kid games (such as Race to the Treasure which actually requires more strategy than Busytown), this game becomes more fun when you know the original Richard Scarry stories. The main and obvious flaw is that the board is always the same... once you remember where the objects are located, you can always find them again. It's like Hidden Pictures - once you find the pictures, that's it. At some point, this flaw severely limits the number of times you can play Busytown. Still, you can make up new rules to handicap yourself. And it is fun just to look at the pictures. My 5-year-old likes it. Ages 4-6 should like it best.
on July 18, 2011
My youngest daughter just received this for her 5th birthday. My oldest child is 12, so believe me, I've played more than my fair share of kids games over the last decade! This was refreshingly unique, in that the players are playing as a team, trying to win against a fictional group of pigs, who will eat everything in the picnic if you don't get there fast enough. It is not so much that the product has eliminated the concept of "losing," because if your team doesn't get to the end before the pigs eat all the food, you in essence have lost. However, it is a gentle introduction to losing, because the group is having fun working together, and as a parent I am able to keep the mood positive, and model good losing behavior- "Aw, man! That was a good try! Let's play again and see if we can beat those pigs the next time!" The pieces seem durable, it all fits nicely in the box, its easy enough for the kids to set up and play on their own, and it kept my attention enough that it was enjoyable to play as an adult. Highly recommend, preschool through lower grades.
on November 9, 2009
My son, age 3, loves this game. We had a lot of fun playing it. It is a game that will hold his attention and one that he loves to come back to over and over. I recommend this game and all the others from this company. They really know how to make games that get kids working together, learning, moving and having fun! A parent can't ask for much more!
on November 5, 2010
I purchased this for my son on his third birthday. He is a very active little guy and I wasn't sure how he'd do with a board game, but found this to be a very gentle introduction to all of the basics--using a spinner, moving pieces on the board, the object of a game (get to picnic island before the pigs eat the food), etc. He loves this game. He would play it 10 times each day if he had someone to play with him. Now, at 3 1/2, he's really playing well. Great starter game.
on January 1, 2012
Busy Town has quickly established itself as a family favorite and our three- and five-year old absolutely LOVE it. They're not quite old enough to play it without supervision, but after a few weeks with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing by themselves in the next 6 months or so. Right now, we play it as a family - the goal is a "team victory" and it's far less competitive than many other games. Even our 20-month old cooperates and helps out, often holding the timer or "removing a piece of food from the picnic blanket" when the game calls for it.

We've purchased or received three other boardgames for our family in the last couple of months and none have been as enjoyable and educational as this one. There are two that I would recommend against: (1) Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess was beloved for a few days by our daughter, but has been largely forgotten; and (2) Candyland - The World of Sweets Board Game is not as durable and while the kids enjoy it, mom and dad do not. The other game that we WOULD RECOMMEND is Sequence for Kids. The kids love the Sequence game and there's enough strategy involved that mom and dad stay engaged. It's probably a little bit too advanced for our kids and the overall educational value is probably not as high as Busy Town, but it's also a five-star recommendation from us and we're enjoying it immensely.

Educational value on Busy Town is high as the game is good at getting our kids to count the number of spaces they need to move, doing basic math for determining how many they need to get, searching for certain objects, and building vocabulary as we talk about the different objects on the board. The board is huge - stretching out 6 feet - and everything is very durable. We lay it out on the floor and all move around as we're searching for the objects. Highly recommended for 3-8 year olds and for family play!!
on February 15, 2011
We bought this for our four year old, and everybody in the family---including our ten year old--enjoys playing this game. I appreciate that it encourages cooperation; when a player spins for the Goldbug, everybody pitches in to find the items on the card, and everybody gets to move the same number of spaces as items are found. The boat only moves to the picnic area when all the players are on the boat. It's a game that doesn't leave anybody behind, which makes it great for younger children, and encourages a supportive and positive play environment among the players in general.

The task of finding the small objects on the board is great for developing attention to detail---at first my four year old had little patience for this part of the game, but he quickly got into the spirit of the game as he saw how much fun it was to find the objects before the time ran out.

The board itself is very sturdy, and the play pieces have held up so far. The spinner works well (few things are as frustrating as a game spinner that just won't spin). It's nice that the magnifying glasses used to mark the items are plastic, not paper.

I would recommend this game for any players four and up.