Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 8, 2014
Completely underwhelmed. I've tried using it a couple times and have followed the instructions to the T, yet it simply has not held heat. It is also incredibly difficult to store. Once you remove it from the shipping packaging and fluff all of the foam inside for use, you are not able to flatten it back down again. At least the money went toward a good cause :-/
on October 25, 2014
I was very intrigued and wanted a Wonderbag the moment I read about it on Amazon. I thought it was a really GREAT thing that this was helping people and that my purchase was not only going to benefit me, but also someone that really needed it. I waited until I could justify the purchase and bought it this week. I followed the fluffing up directions, let it sit overnight and made a chili the next day, following every direction explicitly regarding boil times as if was my first time using it and I wanted it to work.

My chili contained beans, vegetables, and canned beef. After it boiled for the appropriate time I took the temp to make sure it wasn't over the 350 and wouldn't hurt the bag. I placed it in the bag nice and tight and forgot about until a couple of hours later I heard the food bubbling. I thought to myself , GREAT ! It's really keeping it warm and letting it cook. At dinner time 7 hours later I tell my husband I made chili and I go to get it out, and you can tell it is definitely NOT hot, at all. I took the temp and it was at 122. I don't know how long it was at that temperature and had to throw away the food.

Here are my issues - The Wonderbag will keep my food warm, and it will keep it cool, but from my experience the only safe way to use the bag is in that fashion for up to 2 hours. The danger zone is below 145 or so for bacteria to grow, and it can grow quickly. Someone else's 1 star review goes over that in more depth. It's not safe and it shouldn't be marketed as a slow cooker, it should be marketed as a way to keep hot foods hot for longer, or cold foods cold. It's good for that, and for that purpose I'd give it more stars.

My last issue is an Amazon glitch stating that this cannot be returned. If you contact them directly they are able to assist you and send you a return shipping label. Three weeks after I received a refund they still have not fixed the "no returns" glitch which is unacceptable. Also Wonderbag should list safe food temps because many of the people that think this bag is just marvelous are going to end up getting sick from bacterial growth from the low holding temps.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
Following the instructions, I tried it on 2 occasions cooking the first meal & putting it in the wonderbag for about 9-10 hrs, & 7-8 hrs the second time. The meat wasn't fully cooked, & it was only luke-warm at best so to avoid salmonella we had to discard the food. I spent $57 on this, hoping to be able to use this in preparing meals, & at the same time help someone in Africa;.
33 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2013
Nov. 18th Update

This addition to my review is in response to recent comments including that of the Wonderbag Representative, C. Copeland, who wrote the statement,"Bacteria is killed once the food is brought to a boil, and simmered for long enough for the ingredients to be cooked through.", which implies cooked food no longer poses a health risk.

If this statement was completely accurate, refrigeration of cooked foods would not be necessary, and local Health Dept's would not require food handling establishments to honor strict legal standards for public safety.

Despite the fact that Wonderbag has been studied by independent labs, unless the results of a study can be Duplicated, they are not Valid for practical purposes. How many women in poor countries, where advanced education is rare, will likely be able to honor All of the exacting requirements that Wonderbag recommends in order to achieve safe results? The answer is obvious, very few, which is one of the reasons I felt compelled to write an honest review after conducting my own product research.

I hold a Bachelors Degree in Nutrition and Food Science, am a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and am ServSafe Certified to work in any establishment that handles food for public consumption. I adhere to the strictest protocol for both Precision and Accuracy when conducting any food related research, especially for items such as the Wonderbag.

When conducting my own experiments using the Wonderbag I carefully followed All the recommendations made by the manufacturer including the use of the smallest pot, and a stainless lid (versus a glass lid).

The food temperatures after being left in the Wonderbag for the specified times in the recipes provided were Consistently Below the minimum 140'F recommendation of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the FDA, and the USDA. Unless a cooking product can reproduce Consistent results it is Not safe for food handling purposes.

For this reason I am reluctantly downgrading my review from Three Stars to One Star, specifically for the purpose of warning other consumers who may not be as motivated as myself to use a thermometer when checking the doneness of their cooked foods.

The CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 Million people) gets sick, 128,000 are Hospitalized, and 3,000 DIE of foodborne diseases in the United States alone.[CDC 2011]

Although the Wonderbag works well for Transporting cooked foods, it is Not RELIABLE for the purpose of Cooking foods unless they have been so well cooked prior to render the use of the Wonderbag itself no longer a reasonable advantage. I do Not recommend using the Wonderbag to "hold" cooked foods either, for the same reasons.

For those interested in alternative cooking methods that have proven both Reliable and Consistent, I highly recommend a SunOven, which are also sold by SunOven Intl. Inc here on Amazon for $294.00 (link below)

All American Sun Oven Worlds

OR direct from their website for $349.00. The SunOven has few moving parts, and tend to last indefinitely when handled carefully. The company also donates SunOvens to families/communities in poor countries.

Original Review:
The Wonderbag is a great idea that falls short in performance. I used it several times, following directions precisely to bring the food to a full boil for several minutes (time varies per recipe), but each time the temperature of food inside the bag fell below the minimum recommendation of 140' F. For my last attempt to cook in the bag I made sure to boil the chopped chicken for a full 20 minutes before placing the pot in the bag, and checked the temp immediately upon opening the pot 5 hours later > only 128' F. Because bacteria thrive between the temp of 40-140' F, known as the Danger Zone, this is a Food-borne illness waiting to happen; especially for dishes containing meat. For this reason I cannot recommend this product as a Slow Cooker, however, it does a great job as a caddy for transporting hot dishes. The padded bottom protects your hands while the separate pad that covers the top of a pan keeps lids snug, which tends to prevent spills inside the bag. I'm glad the company donates a Wonderbag for each purchased, however, I don't see how the claims of "leave your food to cook in the morning, and return at the end of the day to a hot meal" can possibly be true.
123123 comments|756 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2014
We tried this in Uganda and it did not work. So sad because we thot this would be a good way for our young mothers and widows to cook and save money on charcoal.
on November 21, 2014
Thought I would make some beans. Brought them to a solid boil on the stove, put them in the Wonder Bag, and checked them 8 hours later. They had hardly cooked. Bundled it back up and checked again almost 12 hours later, and they still weren't cooked. So...
on November 20, 2014
This is fine of you are just transporting food from one place to another, but you have to do most of the cooking before you even put the food in the bag. By then you might a well finish it and just eat it.
on January 22, 2015
Tested it on chili and the temp was only 150 degrees after 3 hours. Not hot enough to prevent bacteria build up. Think it could pose health problems
on January 8, 2014
I was excited to receive the bag, as we want to have as small a carbon footprint as possible. I also wanted to write a review of the product.

I prepared the bag as per instructions.

I followed the recipe book to cook beef stew, leaving out the vegetables for simplicity. I wanted to see if it would cook my regular recipe which I start on the stove top and finish in the oven. After 4 1/2 hours in the bag, I opened the bag to find a slightly warm pot containing partially raw beef.

No returns on this scam bag.
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
Just a big insulation bag, no wonder about it. Sending it back!