Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Einstein: His Life and Universe forum

Wonderful biography of a great personality

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2007 11:16:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2007 11:59:25 AM PDT
happy reader says:
Reading Walter Isaacson's Einstein, brought me a broader view of the world in reference to the cosmos. His story of Einstein showed us life can be lived in such a wonderfully meaningful way beyond all the material hunts; plus Isaacson's depicting style - elegantly simple and clear with light humor - is enjoyable all the time. As a bilingual I nener feel such an enchanted appreciation of English language owing all to his nice work! Anyway thanks, Mr. Isaacson for giving us such a great book of an ever admired great personality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2007 9:25:58 PM PST
I agree with you. I found this book highly readable and most enjoyable - I could hardly put it down. In 45 years I have read many of the books that have been published on Einstein and relativity, and this is right up there with the best for explaining Einstein and his theories to the non-scientific. I am particularly recommending this book to friends and relatives who are not scientists.

I have a few very very minor criticisms, e.g.

Footnote on page 108: Earth's rotational speed of 1,040 mph is only true at the equator.

Electricity travels through wires at the speed of light, but it may well be worth pointing out that the electrons asscoiated with the electric current don't: in fact they move incredibly slowly (~ mm/s!). This is very well explained in A.P. French's textbook "Special Relativity", which is one of the best mathematical/scientific texts available on special relativity. Curiously that excellent MIT textbook is not in Walter Isaacson's reference list.

Anyway, many thanks Walter Isaacson for a wonderful book!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Einstein: His Life and Universe
Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson (Hardcover - April 10, 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars (767)