Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Which Wonka and movie is better? Wilder's Wonka or Depp's Wonka?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2007 2:22:17 PM PDT
take403 says:
I see many people have seen both stories of the Chocolate Factory story. Which movie do you like better? Why? I'm sure most of the people who posted reviews for Wilder's Wonka will prefer him, whereas those who posted reviews for Depp's Wonka will prefer him. Or there may be things you prefer about each one. I realize Mel Stuart's Chocolate Factory is probably the "more familiar" and Tim Burton's Chocolate Factory is "more true to the book" (though there were some creative liberties) and more technologically "correct." Anyways, let me know what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 5:16:46 AM PST
Steven says:
i love both, but i love the new one a little more, something about the way depp portrays wonka is very funny

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 6:41:42 AM PST
M. Anderson says:
My children have watched both, and to quote my daughter " The new Wonka creeps me out" She requested the original Willy Wonka for Christmas, and threatened to toss the Depp version if she got it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 11:42:27 AM PST
Definitely the original with Gene Wilder - he is more in the vain of what Willy Wonka was written to be like in the book than Depp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 6:23:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2007 6:24:21 PM PST
I like the old Wonka movie better. Depp did a great job but frankly yes...he was a little creepy. I think they should have made him more sarcastic or something. Gene Wilder was quirky but still seemed like he was "normal" and funny.
The new one is definately based more on the book (except for the subplot with Wonka's dad) because I've recently read the book...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007 12:45:58 PM PST
S. Vernon says:
I have seen both, and I like both Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp in various movies.

That said... I liked the newer Charlie & the Chocolate Factory better when taken as a whole, but prefer Gene Wilder's performance. In a perfect world, Gene Wilder in the new movie (replacing Depp) would be the ideal version in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 11:44:39 PM PDT
Joy says:
The original with Gene by far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 8:13:12 PM PST
jwalton says:
Wilder Wonka is best. My 4 kids agree also. Depp's Wonka is "freaky" they say.

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 3:52:35 AM PDT
julie says:
Wilder's Wonka is Better

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 6:53:02 PM PDT
lobo65 says:
Wilder's by a country mile!

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 7:50:05 PM PDT
I liked Depp's take on Wonka, but the original version is much better and honestly, I think Gene Wilder pretty much owns that role.

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 1:00:38 AM PDT
Jerry Garcia says:
Gene Wilder's original version. I think Depp is a terrific actor, but the original was such a classic that it is very hard to beat a classic.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 2:57:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2009 2:58:11 PM PDT
If you've seen both then the answer is real simple. Gene Wilder's is the best. If you've only seen Tim Burton's than you'll still know that the original is the best. If you've seen Burton's and stuck your head down a sewer drain you'll prefer the sewer drain.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 12:35:04 AM PDT
A.M. REVIEW says:
Wilder Wonka! His image and the Ompa Lumpas' are still known to this day, while Depp's is slowly fading away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 11:14:14 PM PDT
amj says:
Agree

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 9:33:52 AM PDT
G.N. says:
I say Wilder's Wonka and the original 1971 film hands down. It still remains a timeless classic to me and I wouldn't even expect the Burton film to top it.

Here's what the Nostalgia Critic thinks, by the way.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/11805-wonka

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 6:05:01 AM PDT
CJ says:
Wow, where do I begin?? The original Willy Wonka movie is better, I think, for one reason, the songs are better! No "Pure Imagination" in the new version? They could have at least redone it in a modern way. But the boat ride was FAR better in the newer one, and so was the bratty girl getting dragged down the drain by those cute little squirrels. And I also thought the newer computer-generated Oompa-loompas were actually better, but I still prefer the original ANY DAY over that weird, androgenous Johnny Depp version.

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 6:05:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2009 6:08:00 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 6:05:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2009 6:07:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 6:06:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2009 6:06:25 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 8:53:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2009 8:57:25 PM PST
Liz Z says:
I actually preferred Depp's Wonka. He caught the essence of what what Wonka always appeared to me in the books - strange, sly, good-hearted, with a dash of creepy. I mean, the man lives in a candy factory and hasn't been outside for more than a decade. He would definitely be eccentric, and not in a fatherly way. I thought that the Depp-Wonka's complete lack of people communication skills, and nearly a casual disregard for the children's safety was far more accurate and hilarious. They just overdid it with the makeup.

Wilder's Wonka was just bipolar. He didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I remember watching the original when I was nine and feeling indifferent. I think most people's love of the original stems more from nostalgia than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 12:45:30 AM PST
SDwinder says:
Sorry Liz, you are in the serious minority here. This was probably Gene Wilder's crowning role. A role he owned. Johnny Depp tried to do something different in the role as to not just mimic Wilder. It just didnt work. He looked like he was channeling Michael Jackson instead. Too bad you didnt get it with Wilder, when you were 9 and now almost 40 years later! Everyone else did and still does. Time to look in the mirror and say, why dont I get it. It's you!

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 7:47:34 PM PST
I agree with you S. Vernon. I already did a comparison review on both of these movies.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:30:24 AM PST
Mr. Gside says:
I don't think the problem was with Depp. The writing in the second one was awful. His lines were terrible. I appreciated some closeness to the book, but couldn't get past the 1 oompa loompa that they just photo shopped in for the entire movie. They couldn't afford to pay more than one small person?

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 6:02:06 AM PDT
No offense Mr. Gside, but I don't think the writing in the new one is nearly as messed up as some numb nuts want you to believe. To the people who think the new one is not as close to the book as the critics say due to the new subplot, that is just nit-picking, and me, the critics, and the other true fans who agree with us did not nit-pick!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2007
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about