Won't Buy Office Until Ribbon is OPTIONAL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2010 7:27:07 PM PDT
George N. says:
Hi All,

I absolutely despise MS now that they FORCED the ribbon onto us. As a power user, I am annoyed by the amount of space that the ribbon takes up, but worst of all is the inflexibility of it.

I have specific tool bars for several of the workbooks that I use throughout the week. It sounds like you can customize your own ribbon in Excel 10, but you still don't appear to have the flexibility of Excel 03.

I got a new computer at work a few weeks ago. I had them remove Office 7 and put 2003 back on. MS: I can go for years without an upgrade. Do the right thing. Those who don't use the cool features are unlikely to start using them just because you stuck a slick, productivity-killing ribbon at the top of the screen.

You are alienating your most loyal customers.

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 3:38:46 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 7:04:09 AM PDT
Personally, I like the ribbon much better. There's a learning curve at first, but I've used it so long now that I hate going back. But if you want to go back to the old menu format, why don't you just use Open Office? It's free and does all the stuff Office does. Save yourself some cash.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 3:14:30 PM PDT
piratesmvp04 says:
I actually like the Ribbon a lot better too. Like the previous poster said, it does take some learning, but after you get used to it, it's so much better. I get things done (like entering equations, editting photos, or formatting text) so much quicker with the ribbon interface. Plus, it's not just the Ribbon. Office 2007 has so many new features that let you make professional-looking documents that Office 2003 could only dream of. It's the better software, no question about it.

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 7:30:55 AM PDT
You can hide the Ribbon. There is a toggle arrow on the right hand side - it's tiny, so hunt for it.
Then also, you can choose all the commands you want to use and have them display in your own tiny little toolbar at the top. Hope that helps.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 4:23:53 AM PDT
The Ribbon is a sales trick, it gives you a reason to upgrade, but i have never met a power user who didn't hate it, it's a totally immoral product. Time to switch to open office - vista, ribbon, windows mobile etc.. Microsoft is a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 7:47:39 AM PDT
piratesmvp04 says:
Well, count me as the exception power user. I use Microsoft Word extensively in school. I do images, equations, the usual column breaks or pages breaks, insert title pages, use the referencing tools, and other extensive editting that not many people know how to do. I use just about every feature in Word, and I also use Powerpoint and also Excel on occasion. I love the Ribbon much better than the menus because it lets me get things done faster. Once you learn how to use the ribbon, it's much more efficient than the menus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 10:01:54 AM PDT
Amazon buyer says:
I hated ribbon. A simple task can turn into hour. Looks like 2010 is not selling like they're expected. I wonder why.
I'll reinstall 2003 version.
Your reply to Amazon buyer's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 12:29:34 PM PDT
piratesmvp04 says:
How do you know Office 2010 is not selling because of the Ribbon? The increase in productivity between 2007 and 2010 is not as dramatic as it was between 2003 and 2007. If you have 2003, you have 70% of what Office 2007 has. If you have 2007, you have 90% of what Office 2010 has. Thus, no real need to upgrade. Read this article here from CNET. It says the same thing I just said: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20010441-248.html

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 5:52:32 PM PDT
George N. says:
Hi All,
I think the ribbon works fine for lots of people, but I watch co-workers who have it and it takes them two or three clicks to do what I can do in one. When you are crunching away for hours, this can really add up. For most people who don't do crunch numbers as rigorously, the ribbon won't be nearly the issue that it is for me.

I can't really switch to Open Office because I use a lot of filters, Data Consolidation, conditional formatting, Pivot Tables, etc. Last time I checked, Open Office didn't have most of these features.

Not having a "classic" interface option is a lot like Jobs / Apple. I like choices. (I build my own computers, too.)

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 9:23:25 AM PDT
Good_Person says:
You can download 3rd party "office add-on" that makes the newer versions look just like the 2003 versions, with menus instead of the ribbon. If you really like Office but only the ribbon is what bothers you, it pays to buy the Suite and the add on. Just google "get rid of office ribbon" or similar words, and you'll find some downloads, tips and tricks...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 4:00:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 4:02:22 PM PDT
TZ2DSR says:
Posted on July 13, 2010 7:30 AM PDT
polska the pianist says:
You can hide the Ribbon. There is a toggle arrow on the right hand side - it's tiny, so hunt for it.
Then also, you can choose all the commands you want to use and have them display in your own tiny little toolbar at the top. Hope that helps.

To polska the pianist:
thank you for this info. I find the "ribbon" irritating and would be thrilled to customize! yay!

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 8:51:25 PM PDT
George N. says:
Yes, you can customize one area, but if you try to attach your own macros to buttons, you can't even change the default icon for different macros. (At least you couldn't do this a year or two ago...the last time I really gave Excel 7 a workout.) They all look the same. If you have more than two or three, good luck trying to remember which button to click.

The lack of customization--which was always there in the past--is my main gripe.

I've tried one of the third party products mentioned above. They are better than nothing, but MS changed the entire way that buttons work, so you can't really get back to the way it was. (I spent a few hours researching this a few months ago. It isn't easy for a non-programmer to describe.)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:51:58 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 7:13:09 AM PST
The Ribbon is here to stay. It's a popular feature. Office 2007 vastly outsold Office 2003.

If you don't like the Ribbon, then go purchase this
http://www.addintools.com/office2010/professionalplus/?gclid=CPX6rrqQ3KwCFUdo5QodqkgKww

or go out and buy a new or used copy of office 2003 on the internet or ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:13:04 PM PST
George N. says:
Yes, I agree that 2007 might seem easier to use for less-proficient users. However, I don't think that removing the flexibility to customize the product the way that was available in Office 2003 is inexcusable. I have no intention of upgrading at home or at work. I am a power user and Office 2003 works just fine for me.

Thanks for the link. This looks much better than the first ribbon alternative that I tried a year ago. I have a 3-user edition of Office 2007 that sits unused. I might dust it off to try this product with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2011

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Family Pack, 3PC (Disc Version)
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Family Pack, 3PC (Disc Version) by Microsoft Software (Windows 2003 Server / 7 / Vista / XP)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,904)