Win 7 Won't recognize 2 Seatgate FreeAgent Drives I have been using a Seagate FreeAgent 340 GB desktop hard drive. Recently I bought a Seagate FreeAgent GO drive. My computer will recognize and list only one of the two drives. If I unplug the desktop before I boot, then the portable Go drive is listed. If I leave the desktop drive plugged in and boot up, then only the desktop drive is listed, and I can't get the GO drive to come up at all.
Seagate has not responded to my three emails. Any ideas on this?
asked by Amazon Customer on June 4, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
vote
I had a similar problem on Windows 7 after using a USB portable drive on a trip with my XP laptop. I plugged it into my Win7 desktop and the device was recognized, but did not come up with a drive letter. Using the control panel disk manager, I found and error message that it was offline because of some kind of a resource conflict with another drive. I was able to correct the problem by using a right click in the disk manager to put it online. I think this is a Win7 bug, not a problem with the drive.
E. Burdick answered on October 14, 2010

A
votes
I have no problems with windows 7 either at startup or plugging in while windows 7 is running.
William Gallaway answered on August 9, 2010

A
votes
That is good to know! I bought this yesterday to transfer stuff from my Vista computer here to my Windows 7 laptop at our second home. Should have checked yesterday before coming back home, but still... :D
sabbey answered on August 10, 2010

A
votes
OK, I found THE solution! At least the one for me. First the problem. My Seagate Freeagent Go 500 GB hard drive not showing in Windows 7 in such a way that- you cannot open or get into it. I have a 64 bit Windows 7 installation. I tried all and everything. The drive DOES work in all other computers, on XP and Vista. So, it is exclusive to Windows 7. Many posts say to go to Computer and right click, an option called Manage, select that. Then among the choices, click on Disk Management. Once here, the hard drive does show, but no option to open exists with most people. Many solutions that worked for other people did not work for me. I do believe however, that when it shows generic and no name for a volume that we are onto something. But first what I tried that did not work. For instance, right clicking on the drive and making it Mark Partion as Active did not work. The classic fix of Change the Drive Letter and Paths did now work for me. Every solution to update the driver was focused on including downloading a Driver package diagnostic tool off Seagates website that says it branches over Winows 7 32 bit and 64 bit applications did not help me, but it did let me test the drive as being OK working order. Basically, when I tried those other solutions of changing drive letter path or of tyring to format etc., this message pops up saying something about the Device Manager being out of date, basic errors of not being able to perform that function. I even tried to reformat the drive, but on my XP computer. Restarting Device Manager, computer etc. Updating other drivers on the computer, rest at ease, it is Windows 7 folks. One thing worked finally and it pertains to the clue of when it does show in the Device Manager, it shows as a volume that is no named. You have to get it a name. Now, yes, I know, it has a name on all the other computers. OK, right click on the "no name" volume in the Device Manger. One other option showed that I finally tried and this works it out. Perhaps you will need to transfer all your data, a full copy to another hard drive. Don't worry, you can transfer it back. I had the advantage of it being basically empty. But in the Windows 7 Device Manager, there are these wonderful handy ways to organize hard drives, partitions, formatting, extending etc. But the one option we have to click on available, the magic pill- Delete Volume. Once deleted, now it will let you format it. Once you do that and IN THERE -assign it your new letter drive- and finish up and SOLUTION time. That did it for me! Hope this helps one and all who are many that are having this problem and NOWHERE could I find this answer- I came up with it with my own experimentation.
SoUtah answered on December 18, 2010

A
votes
That is so ridiculous that you would even have to go through all of that to get it to work. I am not a techie and do not enjoy wasting my time trouble shooting all this stuff. I just need an extenrnal hardrive for my windows 7 64 bit computer. Does it have to be this difficult to get that? Can anybody help me with this?
Paula C. answered on February 25, 2011

A
votes
I fixed this problem in 10 seconds:

1. Open Device Manager
2. The Free Agent Drive is probably listed under Storage Volumes and 'Unknown Device'
3. Right click on the 'Unknown Volume' and select 'Properties'
4. Click on the 'Driver' tab and select 'Uninstall'.
5. Unplug the USB cable from the back of your FreeAgent drive -wait a few seconds - and plug it back in.
6. Voila - you should be up and running.

After jerking around with this problem for two hours and reading tons of nonsense in various posts - none of which worked, the process described above solved my problem.
Willy Makit answered on January 15, 2012

A
votes
This threw me for a while, too, as I added a second drive to my system. BIOS said it was working fine, Control Panel said it was working fine, yet when I clicked on My Computer it wasn't there. Eventually I figured it out, though.

1. Right click "My Computer"
2. Select "Manage."
3. "Storage" -> "Disk Management"
4. You should see your drive listed here. If so, continue. If not, sorry, beyond my help.
5. Here is where I saw "Disk 0" (my old drive) and "Disk 1" (my new drive that I had installed). Disk 0 said "Online" but Disk 1 was labeled "Offline" - Aha, problem found!
6. Right click the grayed out area. Format, partition and activations options are here. I had to "Convert to GPT Disk" (whatever that meant - it's what Disk 0 was set as, so I figured I'd just copy that). Then I told it to Initialize and then to do a Quick Format of the new drive (the latter may have been redundant) and once it was finished it worked fine.
Von Neely answered on May 1, 2012

A
votes
Thanks for solution & will try,
but I need to say it is not anything to do with windows 7,
Because my XP machine also cannot see it!
Maxx134 answered on June 18, 2012

A
votes
It wasn't viewable in any OS I tried all three,
But the last solution here worked as I had to make new partition and quick format it and in this way it also gave it a drive letter.
I did this on an XP machine and Now it worked.
Maxx134 answered on June 18, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›