5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal on the Best Fire Starter

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money
Published 24 months ago by R. Zuniga

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal on the Best Fire Starter, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
I've tried every kind of fire-starter out there and always keep coming back to fatwood as being the best, easiest to use, and definitely most environmentally responsible. It contains no petrochemicals - just good-old pine resin. It's "made" by leaving pine stumps standing for a few months after harvesting the trees, so that the resin in the roots moves up into the stump. The stump is then split and cured awhile before being packaged - by the time you get it, it's dry and volatile and lights really fast and burns really hot.

All I use to get a roaring fire going is two sticks, lit and dropped between between two logs in the wood-stove. I add a small handful of bark and twigs to the blaze, then put my top-log on top of that. I heat my whole home with nothing but my wood-stove every winter, and fatwood makes that job a lot easier.

This particular product is also the best deal per pound that I've found so far for fatwood - even after adding shipping and handling. The box it comes in is a nice bonus, too - easy to dispense from and store. I hope Amazon keeps offering it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Given as a Christmas Gift, April 27, 2012
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
I have a wonderful male friend who is 86 years young and he learned to start fires from the BoyScouts many years ago. I would go visit him and he would as if I would like a fire? That question indicated that he would like one and so I always said "yes." Then the Boy Scout battle would begin. EXCEPT, generally all he had was wood, most frequently Dry Wood, but sometimes quite wet.
He would have no Tinder, no twigs, no small branches, no medium ones, or larger ones. Just Logs. You use what you have and if one only has logs, one uses logs. Usually we were blessed by having a heap of old newspapers by the fireplace. So, the slow separating of the pages, and the tearing of them, then their crumpling would begin. Having stuffed an inadequate number of scrunched balls of newspapers under the grate that held the logs, he would then strike the match to light the fire.
Next came the Fanning of the Flames with an old woven wood fan. A mad fanning began and smoke began to bellow out...was the flue open? Maybe Not? Start over.
Thirty or so minutes later, a weak fire would be in place, a pre-dinner cocktail would be had, and THEN it was TIME to leave the fire. So off to dinner.
You can imagine the routine after dinner...not hard to do...a repeat of the above steps and in about an hour, just as the fire began to take off: Bedtime.
So much for THAT kind of Boy Scout Fire.

YEAR 2013: Still enjoying fires, but thank goodness, the fatwood is a bit cheaper now!!!!

I saw Fatwood listed in the Orvis catalogue and the first year, I bought the item from them.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE:
1. Get the Log
2. Secure 4 or 5 sticks of Fatwood
3. FIRE in 3 or 4 minutes flat!!!
4. Before dinner cocktail
5. Time for a second
6. Delightful conversation flowed
7. Off to dinner
8. Return home and probably no new fire needed, this one is still going
9. Some Milk and more Delightful Conversation
10. Off to bed
11. Good time had by all

It was wonderful. Instead of spending 30-40 minutes watching the gentleman's back, I was able to talk to him and learn some things, enjoy a drink, and enjoy each other's company. He says his 10 pounds of Fatwood lasts him 3-6 months, depending upon the weather which determines the kind of winter we have. The whole box costs $25 and if he needs two, the total is up to $50.

How much is it worth to you to sit by the fire with one of your best friends sharing conversation and learning unimaginable things from a person more than 20 years your senior whom you happen to dote on and adore. It is probably WORTH a good deal more than $50. It is maybe worth $5000 a week, and $50,000 a season, so for $50, one has gotten a terrific bargain. That is how I FEEL about it. No more watching his back, just talking and enjoying.

So, of course, the next year, I checked to see if Amazon carried Fatwood and they did, so each year, 10 pounds goes out at Christmas, and, if needed, another 10 is shipped to his door (how convenient) during the winter sometime. It is an "as needed item"...that is, the 2nd 10 pounds.

So, I love, love, love this product. And he says "it is quite nice." It has changed our fire times from hassle to fun. At 86, one never knows how many years one may have to have Fatwood shipped. But believe me, it goes from a grateful heart. I recommend it to everybody and his mother and brother who has need of a fire. IT MAKES HAVING A FIRE A TREAT. Give it a try yourself, and your opinion of the ease of firemaking will change for the better. I certainly hope you have the circumstances to enjoy it as much as I have. Definitely a Good Buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
I bought a box of the fatwood fire starters about 2 years ago. I have a soapstone wood stove in the mountains of colorado and our main source of heat in our home is this wood stove. I would like to add one caveat, we live at over 8600 feet above sea level, so I'm not sure if altitude plays havoc with this product. Over the years I've tried a number of fire starting tricks. Here is what I've found:

1. Kindling and newspaper work best.
2. sawdust and wax sticks come a close second (I cut these up into little squares) One little square starts a fire easily.
3. Fatwood is the worst way to start a good fire.

I think my main problem with this product is that there are really good sticks for lighting a fire in the batch but there also seem to be an equal number of really bad ones. Usually when you pull one out of the box, you know immediately if it's going to work or have issues. The ones that seem to be coated with the resin will crackle and give off a good flame, the other ones, not so much. In fact many times I find myself walking back to the stove to relight the fatwood stick that has gone out before the rest of the kindling has caught on fire.

I decided to go through almost the whole box before writing this review. I have been frustrated many times trying to use this product. This has been my only box I've purchased so perhaps there were issues with this batch. I don't plan on buying another box and I wouldn't recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, October 16, 2011
Jilly (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
This is the second box of this fatwood that I've bought. 10 lbs of fatwood is a good deal at this price, even with shipping.

The pieces are dark, and full of resin. I'm pleased with its quality and price and look forward to using to to start a lot of fires in the fireplace this winter. (As I did last winter, with my first box.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat wood is the best for starting wood buring fires, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
This product is outstanding for starting fires. It's an all natural product. You only need two sticks to start a fire and it's much easier than any other techniques we have tried. A box lasts a month or two. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Natural Fire Starter, January 11, 2011
S. Morris (somerville, tn United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
I love fat wood!! No need for kindling or newspaper to start a fire now. Easy to store, easy to use, and it is a renewable resource!! Wonderful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, December 14, 2011
Meadow Kinder (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
This stuff is awesome, we rely on this product every year! It makes starting a fire so easy, in your fireplace or firepit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fire starter, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
This is an awesome fire starter. You only have to use a couple sticks and your set. You don't have to worry about using lighter fluid or burning paper towel

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the Fire Starters, December 25, 2010
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
I've used Fatwood for years as a reliable fireplace fire starter. These easily ignitable wood strips can also be used for barbecues, chineneas, or campfires. For those of you who still use charcoal grills and hate the smell and taste of the petroleum charcoal lighting fluid, Fatwood can be a viable alternative.

The eight-inch piece Fatwood strips contain a natural resin that ignites readily whether the wood is dry or wet. According to the makers, the wood is obtained from the stumps of harvested trees in sustainable forests that are regrown.

I place two or three pieces of Fatwood on the grate under kindling resting on log end pieces. The flame quickly rises and ignites the kindling above. Long burning Fatwood pieces makes the process even better. Using only two or three pieces per fire makes this 10 pound box go a long way.

Not that it won't happen, but I've never suffered a splinter using Fatwood firestarter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds (Lawn & Patio)
These fatwood sticks haven't really worked for us. The directions say you only need to use two or three per fire, with no newspaper necessary, and we haven't found that to be the case. Even with newspaper, we have had to add kindling to get a real fire going.

Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds