5.0 out of 5 stars A useful product
Published on June 29, 2008 by Avid Mystery Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Product description (or lack of one) is misleading!
This product seemed to be a bargain: 4 different smoking chips for under $14. The product description on Amazon: "Cameron Cookware Alder, Hickory, Oak, and Cherry Wood Smoking Chips, Set of 4"
Published on January 20, 2009 by James Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful product, June 29, 2008
This review is from: Wood Smoking Chips - Oak, Cherry, Hickory, and Alder Wood Smoker Value Pack - Set of 4 Resealable Pints (Lawn & Patio)
I bought a stove top smoker a few years ago and although I do not use it everyday, I do tend to use it quite often. The problem is that I cannot find the fine wood chips at the regular stores like Wal-mart or Target. These store usually have the really large chips or blocks but not the fine dust like chips one needs for this type of smoker. I have looked at other online stores and found the chips but they were more expensive than at Amazon. What I also like is that this particular pack of chips has an assortment for using with various different meats such as for smoking fish, pork chops, etc. Also, since the smoker I have is a Cameron brand, this is perfect. I especially like the alder for Salmon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chips, August 3, 2007
This is my third order. I should be ordering the gallon size, put this particular offer was a great value, I couldn't pass up. The Cameron smoker is one heck of an item also. So far, I've gotten seven friends to purchase both sizes. Everythine from salmon to turkey gets smoked in this house, and all with these chips and the Cameron smoker!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, January 19, 2008
These chips are exactly as described, and work perfectly. No complaints, no confusion, no aggravation. Isn't it great when a description fits perfectly?

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed at first but they redeemed themselves!, April 1, 2013
When I first ordered these smoking chips I was really disappointed with what I got. First, this seems like a deal since you are getting 4 different types of woodchips for $14. All they showed you was a picture with four bins. Well the bins are pints (about the size of a good coffee mug). That's the first thing. Secondly, these "wood chips" are more like wood splinters and meant to be used with Camerons' stovetop smoker. Needless to say, I returned them. However, when I later looked up the product I saw that someone else had left a review detailing many of the problems with their listing and the listing had since been edited to give a more detailed description of the product. I was pretty impressed by this, and I'd wanted to try out a stovetop smoker after hearing about them, so I ordered Camerons stovetop smoker (and a set of these chips). I wasn't disappointed the second time. Good for Cameron for listening to their customers and improving, and they've made a good product here.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product description (or lack of one) is misleading!, January 20, 2009
James Griffiths "Jim G." (Bedford, MA United States) - See all my reviews
That's it. Nothing more, except for the image, which shows four plastic containers. Your mind says these are large containers. Seems like you're getting a lot of chips. Nope. You're not getting a lot and they're not even chips.

Here's what's missing from the description:
1) Volume. The text does not say, and the image does not indicate that the containers are 1 pint each. No more than the size of a coffee mug!
2) Chip size. These are not "chips" at all. They are sawdust - literally.
3) Required hardware. Apparently these "chips" are to be used with the Cameron Smoker Box. This also would have been a helpful tip in the description.

I read a glowing customer review of this product which said how wonderful it was to get a product that was exactly as described. What description is he referring to? Maybe my web browser needs an upgrade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 8, 2009
These smoking chips work great in our stovetop smoker. We get delicious food out of it every time regardless of what food it is or which flavor of wood chips you chose. They are all great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the stove top smoker, July 11, 2013
The small shaved size of these wood chips are perfect for a stove top smoker or any light smoking job. The chips smoked nicely with no off or greasy oily residue. I really loved the Cherry but all four were great. I smoked cheese, garlic, and salmon and the taste was fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far , so good, February 17, 2013
We've only tried the Oak & Alder so far, because we just got a stove top smoker.
The containers are small, but a little goes a looooong way, so these 4 should last us a good while.
Looking forward to trying the others, and ordering some Mesquite too.
We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rubbed with Emeril's SW seasoning, and Oak.
Also salmon with only kosher salt/fresh pepper, using Alder. Both dishes were really good, but we liked
the Alder more. Oak had more of a "camp fire" taste.
This was an economical way to try different wood smoking flavors. Even better would be smaller tubs
of all the flavors, like a sample pack. Camerons, are you listening?

4.0 out of 5 stars Camerons Smoker is a good product., June 27, 2013
Although I have used Camerons Smoker (and smoking chips) with salmon filets only, I am very pleased with the results. If used properly (be careful NOT to overcook the fish) it produces smoked salmon that can compete with any expensive smoked salmon on the planet. And I should know -- I have been smoking and eating salmon for well over 50 years.

HOWEVER, beware of the claims that using the smoker in the kitchen will not leave a smoke odor in the house. I understand that there are variables involved here. But if you do not have an exhaust hood vented to the outdoors, or if you are using the product during the winter with the windows closed, you WILL get a strong odor of smoke in the house.

Is it worth it? That's a call you will have to make. But I can assure you that the product makes wonderfully flavored smoke fish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, August 10, 2013
These are not wood chips! They are sawdust! It does not work the same as Chips. They suck for smoking!