4.0 out of 5 stars dollhouse furniture
Published on December 26, 2007 by Ashley M. Muzzy

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for most doll houses
It's not really appropriate for serious doll house play. The worst thing is that the pieces are smaller than most doll house furniture or dolls, and so won't work with the doll house family I bought at the same time. And everything is fairly fragile. Even though the directions say no glue is needed, it really is necessary. So don't plan to put this together after the...
Published on November 16, 2010 by Jean Speiser

4.0 out of 5 stars dollhouse furniture, December 26, 2007
This isn't really a toy and I sort of bought it by accident. I was rushing and didn't really read the description very well. My 4 year old has had a dollhouse for a few years and when we moved I packed up all the furniture in a box and never saw it again. She never really gave it a lot of attention to begin with but I did want to replace the furniture and plastic fisher price dollhouse furniture can get pretty expensive when you want to furnish every room. So I saw this for $12 and thought ok, I can do some assembling if it will save me $100.

First off, it is a puzzle. And I don't believe that it is intended to be played with. But if you buy some paint and glue and have about 5-6 hours to spend on it then it can become a pretty good toy. First I assembled it then I got some tacky glue (shop around for some craft glue that dries in a decent time) and glued all the joints. After that it was extremely durable, I was very surprised. Then I bought some craft paint, mixed my colors, painted it and voila!! 35 pieces of dollhouse furniture for less than $20 including glue and paint.

Now, if you dont glue this it wont even stay together if it's just sitting there. But after its been glued it is just as durable as something you'd buy in a store. In fact the only way to break it is if you actually crush it by stepping on it or something, which would break even a plastic toy. I'm not even a very crafty person and this was easy but it does take a lot of patience. The really cool thing is that you can customize it with any color you want to make it. I also sewed up some little blankets and pillows for the beds.

My daughter has been playing with this almost non stop since Christmas Eve and the only thing that broke is a chair that my husband stepped on. She actually plays with it more now than she did when we first bought it and had all the furniture that was designed for it.

It is very small though. The only dolls that fit it are polly pocket size dolls, which are about 4" maybe. But everything fits in the dollhouse very well. It's not too crowded so when she's playing she isnt constantly knocking things over. I believe we have a fisher price loving family dollhouse and I think the dolls that came with it were about 8" tall. Luckily my daughter has several polly pocket dolls and accessories so it all worked out well.

So if you want to furnish a dollhouse and save money this is the way to go. It does require some time and patience but its well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for less at MIchaels, May 22, 2009
Blazing Fire (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this at Michaels Crafts a couple of weeks ago when I looking for something new to do for my summer projects.

This was a great puzzle to put together and with a little glue and paint, I had nice furniture for the dollhouse I got at the same time.

But as to the price, like I said that bought this at Michael's. I also got it for less than the price listed. I only ended up paying $4.99 plus tax. So if anyone is interested in buying this. I would look at your local craft store first. You might find it there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, well worth the money., July 24, 2012
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
This set is pretty fun, and you can save a lot of money furnishing a dollhouse if you put some time and effort into customizing each piece.
The pieces popped out correctly. Not one piece broke. The instructions are numbered, so you know exactly how to assemble each piece, and after a while you "get it" and you don't refer to the instructions as often. It's sort of addicting to put these pieces together. :)

Tips:

* I bought a few inexpensive finger files at my local grocery store to sand down rough edges and make some edges rounder which give them a more authentic look. These work great for getting between the pieces that have small narrow openings and they are just the right grit.

* I used chops sticks left over from take-out to push the pieces out in order to get into the narrow corners of some pieces while not putting a lot of pressure on the surrounding wood.

* Once assembled, I cut some edges off with heavy scissors to make the pieces look less blocky for example the four dining chairs side pegs.

* I used regular glue to fill in the seams and edges. Once the glue dried I sanded over them lightly to smooth them out.

* Some pieces like the dining room table I layered the top with glue, then sanded to get rid of the joints at the top, then I painted the top to look like wood grain.

* I painted the pieces with ordinary acrylic paint, then sprayed on clear gloss. Some of the pieces I did detail work to make them look old.

* For the mirror on the vanity I brushed glue just on the circular portion, then placed thin aluminum over the glue and tore away the rest after it had dried. I then painted around the mirror to give it a defined edge.

* Finally, if you keep the stencils after you remove the pieces, you can drace them again on any other type of material.

These are just some extra creative steps you can take to make the furniture your own. I enjoy doing this sort of craft, so I didn't consider it extra work. It may not be worth the time or trouble for some.

Have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for a set of dollhouse furniture, January 12, 2012
Mom of two (Pasadena, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
I bought this for my 6-year-old daughter and we had lots of fun assembling it together - it goes very quickly if you make sure to look at the schematic first and try to assemble pieces in numerical order. I think it could be very difficult if you were to punch out every piece and then try to figure out where they belong - I tried to punch out just one or two pieces of furniture at a time. Even my 4-year-old son was able to assemble the simpler pieces, such as chairs. A couple of pieces such as the toilet and bathtub are quite elaborate and a few tiny parts snapped when being slotted together with perhaps too much force - but easily fixed with wood glue. We plan to paint the entire set but even unpainted they are quite charming - the wardrobe doors and piano lid even open and close - very ingenious. We also plan to glue all pieces for durability, though most hold together quite well without it.

If you're looking for dolls to go with this set, or wondering if it fits your dollhouse, here are some dimensions:
Double bed is 3" long
Chair seats are about 3/4" wide

The ideal size doll to go with this would be no more than 3" tall - PlayMobil figures work OK though they are a tight fit on the chairs. Our doll house has 5" ceilings and the furniture is a very good match - you would not want to go less than 4" ceilings as the wardrobe is almost that tall.

In all, highly recommended and a very good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to high priced doll house furniture, December 18, 2008
I bought my 3 yr old a fold out wooden dollhouse and didn't want to spend $100 on furniture. She's 3, so the chances that she would break something are high. I decided to take a chance on this puzzle furniture and see what happened. I assembled it in about 4 hrs and used a hot glue gun to glue it together. Once glued it is very stable, but you will probably have to do some sanding on it to get doors to close on the wardrobe piece and some legs to not wobble etc... I needed more sandpaper than what they provided, but it was pretty good as is for the most part. I then painted each room setting a different color and added some little pillows and blankets that I put together in matching colors and voila!!!! Durable furniture that is inexpensive and perfect for little kids! If she breaks a piece or two, I won't be mad because the whole set cost below $20 to ship. If you feel creative and have a bit of time, I recommend this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to give this 5 stars..., November 22, 2011
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
I built my 3 yr old daughter an awesome 1/2" scale dollhouse for Christmas this year (Fairfield kit from Greenleaf) 1/2" scale being significantly smaller than the more common 1" scale, I found it REALLY difficult to find furniture sized properly for the tiny rooms. This kit was perfect! Each furniture piece is a little 'puzzle,' but the instructions make sense if you pay attention and I found construction to be easy and quick. (I do have to admit, after building the dollhouse, this was total cake.) I used a few dots from a hot glue gun here and there, and a coat or two of paint, and the furniture seems sturdy and looks awesome in the house - can't wait to let my little girl get her hands on it! I especially liked this set for it's entertainment value - doors that open, shelves for little dishes, and unique pieces like the vanity, rocking horse, and piano (my favorite).

I SO badly wanted to give this kit 5 stars, but they totally messed up in one area. The kit comes with 4 sheets of punch-out pieces, each with different pieces to complete on each sheet. I received 3 different sheets, and 1 DUPLICATE... This means I am missing about 12 pieces of furniture - no sofa, chairs and coffee table, no bathtub and toilet, etc. I was REALLY bummed about this as I live overseas and I just know that trying to make this right between me, Amazon, and the seller is going to be a huge headache and will probably not make the Christmas deadline.

So, I assembled what I had and a few pieces from the duplicate sheet that you could use more than 1 of. Turns out when I put all the finished pieces in the house, they are just enough to fill the house and the missing pieces would have been too much. All in all, turned out to be exactly what I wanted, and I love the stuff so much I wanted to give them 5 stars, but just couldn't because of their oversight in packaging. I can only hope they read this review and make sure future buyers don't experience the same issue...

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent kit- some tips for great results!, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
This kit was fantastic. The plywood sheets arrived in great shape and the pieces were as cleanly punched as one could hope for. I can't believe how great the set is for the price!

The furniture is about 1/2 inch to 1 foot scale, so small for most doll houses (standard dollhouse scale being 1 inch to 1 foot), but as I was looking for inexpensive pieces for my toddler daughter to play with, I thought the low price made it worth a try, and boy am I glad I did. I've already ordered 3 more kits from this company, add I had so much fun assembling the furniture.

Some tips:
1. Punch the pieces out from the back, gently. The cuts are usually pretty clean from the front side, but the back side of the sheet might need some loving to pop the smaller pieces through.

2. Sand lightly (I just used a packet of cheap fingernail emery boards) and assemble each piece. This way you can be sure they fit.

3. Take each piece apart, one at a time, (don't mix up the pieces!) and brush the slots with wood glue before putting them back together. I also then brushed wood glue all over each piece to smooth the wood and strengthen each piece.

4. When the glue has dried, if necessary, sand a little more before painting. I used cheap acrylic art paint and used the colors to create room sets (kitchen yellow, bedroom teal, etc.)

5. For finishing touches, I used tiny inexpensive "nail art brushes" to paint on some designs, and then I found little nail art decals that were even easier and more effective! I just put on the stickers, and sealed them on with a coat of clear nail polish.

Just delighted with the fun assembly of the set, and thrilled with the results. My daughter loves playing with the furniture in her doll house, and I don't worry that she may break some precious little things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, fun to assemble, but I wish it came in 1" scale!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
I purchased this kit for my two year old son, and he 'helped' me put it together by sitting on my lap and carefully studying the instructions. We punched out the pieces, assembled them all & glued them together using regular Elmer's glue. It took me about four hours total - I think I'm pretty slow, since my toddler was on my lap most of the time and I'd watch TV while working on it. I painted primer on all the pieces, and we'll apply acrylic paint over that. I'd also like to fashion together some simple pillows, mattresses, blankets & tablecloths out of fabric & cotton.

So far, I've used and would recommend the following to assemble this kit:
- extra-fine sand paper (150 grit)
- unsharpened pencil to press out stubborn pieces
- Elmer's glue
- Kilz primer
- acrylic paints

Pros:
This kit was very easy to put together, I found the simple instructions quite efficient. Many of the pieces are tables or chairs, & once you put together one of each, the others are obvious. The pieces which took a little puzzling out, for me, were the two cabinets, piano, bathtub & the really odd kitchen sink/stove/cabinets combination. If you have difficulty reading small print, definitely have a magnifying glass on hand to read the instructions numbers.

The wood is a pretty sturdy, semi-finished pine, about 1/8 inch thick. I debated on staining it, but I think my toddler would prefer bright colors. The cut-outs were pretty well cut, most pieces popped right out. A few pieces took a little more force, but I only had two or three break. Only small edges broke off, just a layer of the wood which was easily re-glued.

There are a lot of pieces of furniture to this kit! They have enough detail to make it obvious what they are, even to my two year old. Half-way through piecing together the toilet, he was pointing at it & saying 'potty, potty for dolly!'

Cons:
My biggest gripe it that the kit is in 1:24 size, rather than 1:12, or 1". Some pieces, like the beds, kitchen, wardrobes, can still work for 1" scale dolls (around 3 1/2 to 4 inch high adult dolls), but other pieces, like the tub and highchair are like furniture for dolls of dolls, they're so tiny!

This kit also does not have an oven or a refrigerator; granted, the kit does have a vaguely Victorian look to it. It still would be nice to have a 'cold box' style fridge, and a wood oven, or something similar. I glued the two circular 'burners' by the kitchen sink, so there is somewhere to pretend to cook, at least. Its also slightly odd the kit contains four dining chairs, a couch for two and two living room chairs, but only enough beds for three dolls (a large master bed for mom and dad, and one single for a child). Most doll families have two kids, a boy and girl, so it'd be nice to have sacrificed a table or three to have room for another bed in the kit. I'd love to see bunkbeds!

Overall, I found this kit a lot of fun, and its been a great time for my son and I to bond. I had fun assembling the pieces and painting them. If you think four or more hours is too long, or it looks too confusing, I'd recommend just buying some pre-made furniture for your child. If you have the time, and enjoy crafts, this is a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifull, easy HALF SCALE (1/2 NOT 1/1), June 21, 2012
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
I just assemble this kit and love it! I got it by mistake because I did not know about the scale (It is 1/2 not regular scale)... but it is just beautifull and really easy to assemble. It required a little glue (I used tacky glue) and voilá! If only the scale where 1/1 it would be perfect for me. It took me about 4 hours to complete it, and I poped just the pieces of the furniture I was assembling each time, and following the order of the sheets because piece by piece they become more complex. If you want it for a Dollhouse, it has many possibilities to kitbashing by adding color, linens, upholstry, etc. Overall very pretty, affordable, easy to assemble, and durable. Great money value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, and able to personalize!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle (Toy)
I bought this set for my 7-year-old daughter, I put it all together myself and painted it white with purple flower accents for a Christmas present. She LOVES it, plays with it just about every day. She has little Polly-Pocket-sized dolls and her Calico Critters fit this set nicely. (Not every piece fits these characters; some pieces like the highchair and some of chairs are too small--but enough of them work that it totally is worth it.) The assembly did take time. I used wood glue at the joints, make sure to wipe off excess glue right away. Be careful when popping out the pieces from the board. The furniture is surprisingly sturdy when assembled. Not a single piece has broken. She loves it so much that she keeps it and her Calico Critters in a kaboodle that she carries with her in the car so she can play with it wherever she goes.

Wooden Dollhouse Furniture Set 3D Puzzle